Thirteen

Monster

Zico lead him through the building, which was smaller than it had seemed. He was talking a lot, but Junhong could barely concentrate on what he was saying.

 

“... Set up a mat for you in some room.” Junhong caught at one point. He nodded, kind of lost. Zico caught his eye and frowned. “Junhong, are you okay?” Junhong nodded again, but Zico took his wrist again and lead him to another room, where a couple chairs were strewn about. He brought him to where two were right near each other and made him sit down.

 

“How badly were you hurt?” He asked and Junhong shrugged. “Okay, so tell me. What happened during the fight? Be specific, especially about how you were hurt.” Junhong took a deep breath and closed his eyes.

 

“I was in the bathroom.” He started. “When the guy- Soonkyung- came in. I didn't hear him, and he grabbed me by my hair. He threw me against the bathroom stall and I hit my head.” Zico nodded. “He started yelling at me and then he grabbed my shirt and shoved me against the wall. He punched me in the gut and when I doubled over he shoved me back again, and I hit my head again.”

 

“How hard?” Zico asked and Junhong shrugged.

 

“I don't know. It already hurt, but I don't think I have a concussion from it or anything.” He answered.

 

“Just in case, I'm gonna make sure you take it easy for a couple weeks. Go on with the story.”

 

“He threw me to the ground and kicked my face. He bloodied my nose, but it doesn't feel like it's broken.”

 

“Are you sure?” Zico asked and Junhong nodded.

 

“I broke my nose once before, and it didn't hurt as bad. He isn't very good at kicking. Anyway, I tried to get up, but he kicked my back and I feel again. Then, um…” He didn't want to talk about Himchan, knowing he'd have to explain everything that happened. “He said something that really pissed me off. I don't wanna explain but… I pulled the knife on him. He tried to make me calm down but I was really upset and I threatened him and he ran. I escaped out the window and ran and… Well, I collapsed in the alley and that's when you found me.” Zico nodded.

 

“I see. Well, like I said, I’m gonna have you take it easy for a couple weeks. Also, I'm sorry about Junghyun. He was the one who threatened to shoot you. He's an , so just stay away from him. He likes to act like he’s in charge and constantly challenges me and Taewoon. The son of a wouldn't really actually fight us though, he's too scared.”

 

“Taewoon’s your brother, right?” Junhong asked and Zico nodded.

 

“Right.”

 

“Zico ssi-”

 

“Call me hyung. We aren't super big on that kind of stuff here.” 

 

Call me hyung. Yongguk’s face flashed through Junhong’s mind and he felt a pang of regret. If there was anyone who he’d miss, it was him. They hadn't spoken much during those three weeks, but it had been nice to know that Yongguk was back. And after what he’d done… Yongguk must be so disappointed. 

 

“O-okay.” He said, trying to banish the thought of Yongguk from his head. “Zico hyung?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“How old are you?”

 

“I'm nineteen.” He answered and Junhong’s eyes widened.

 

Nineteen? How old is your brother?!”

 

“Taewoon is twenty one.”

 

“How old were you when you…” Junhong trailed off, not sure how to finish his question

 

“When all this happened?” Zico asked, motioning around them. “I was thirteen. Taewoon was fifteen, like you are now. It's a long story.” Junhong stared at Zico, his eyes wide. Zico sighed. “You get used to this life. It basically becomes who you are.” Then he turned to Junhong, a serious look on his face.

 

“Promise me,” he said. “Promise me that no matter what, you will keep your morals. Street life is hard and it's dangerous, but promise me you won't ever hurt anyone you don't have to hurt.” Junhong swallowed, a bit intimidated by Zico’s sudden pleading.

 

“I promise