Twenty six

Monster

Yongguk walked into the room and sat down. The kid had his face towards the ground and Yongguk could see a couple tears slipping off his face.

 

“Look at me.” He said. The kid seemed to stiffen, but he didn't look up. “What's your name?” No answer. There was a long silence until finally the kid spoke.

 

“I’m sorry.” He whispered and Yongguk stiffened. His voice was familiar. It was like a distant memory, that had been warped and changed through time. He reached out and placed his fingers under the boy’s chin, tilting his head upwards. As the boy’s eyes met his, he finally understood.

 

Junhong.” He said softly and watched Junhong’s eyes fill with tears again. For a moment, doubt filled him. Junhong, he was too sweet. Too nice to ever shoot someone. Then he remembered this was the boy who pulled a knife on his classmates. The boy who ran from the cops and, according to Jung Daehyun, joined a gang. The boy who had to have been put under extreme mental stress from both bullying and the death of his brother. It was entirely plausible he had shot someone. The Junhong Yongguk had known well had been a little kid, still very innocent to the ways of the world. This Junhong was a broken boy with very little to lose.

 

“I’m sorry.” Junhong repeated.

 

He confessed to shooting her. He said that she took something from him…

 

“Junhong. You have to tell me. Was it Min Hyorin who you shot?” Junhong nodded. 

 

“I didn't mean to.” He whispered. “I couldn't think. A-all I knew is that I hated her and that sh-she was the reason Himchan-” His voice broke and he let out a low moan, covering his face with his hands and he started sobbing. Yongguk reached out and his hair, unable to control himself. “I’m sorry.” He heard Junhong choke out. “I’m so sorry.

 

When he lifted his head again, his face was splotched with red, his eyes rimmed with it and there were tear streaks down his face. His lips were quivering and his hair was mussed. He looked so different from the happy little kid that he had once know that it hurt.

 

He could only imagine everything Junhong had gone through. Living in a street gang, with no one outside of those in the gang who trusted him. His clothes looked worn and slightly ripped, and the sweater he was wearing hung loosely on his skinny frame, making Yongguk think that he hadn't been eating enough.

 

“Junhong.” Yongguk asked gently. “Did you want to shoot her?”

 

“I don't know.” He whispered, his voice cracking. “Maybe- maybe at the moment it happened, but I didn't even know- I didn't realize I did until afterwards. Is- is she…”

 

“She's in the hospital.” Yongguk said gently. “I don't know if she’s alive or not but I know that she was when she was in the ambulance.” Junhong gave Yongguk a desperate look.

 

“Tell me.” He begged. “If she lives or dies, I have to know.” His hands were gripping the edge of the table so hard his knuckles were white. Yongguk put his hand on one of Junhong’s, running his thumb over the back of it.

 

“I will.” He promised. A moment later, there was a rapping on the door and Yongguk stood up. “I’ll be right back.” He said quietly and walked out.

 

“What’s going on in there?” Kikwang demanded, looking slightly confused.

 

“That's Junhong.” Yongguk answered quietly. “Choi Junhong.” Kikwang’s eyes widened. “The victim is Min Hyorin and I can see why he ing shot her.”

 

“What? Why?”

 

“Junhong had an older brother named Himchan. Hyorin killed him. She got off because of an insanity plea and was apparently released. He saw her and he freaked out and shot her.”

 

“The other guy is saying he got really upset seeing her and had some kind of snap where he wasn't acting like himself. Said that Junhong said something about her lighting someone on fire.”

 

“Min Hyorin put Himchan in the back of her car, which she set on fire.” Yongguk said. “And didn't that one kid, the one that Junhong pulled a knife on, also say that Junhong had some sort of snap?” Kikwang nodded. “Think we could get him a not guilty sentence?”

 

“By reason of insanity? Use the mental breakdown as a defense and have a psychiatrist talk to him?” Yongguk nodded. “Of course I think that could work. What about his friend?”

 

“Use his friend as a defense. Get him to tell you his actual name and tell him that without him the defense might not work and Junhong could go to jail.” Kikwang nodded.

 

“Got it.” He said and walked away.

 

 

The door opened and Zico glared at the man entering.

 

“I already told you everything.” He growled. The man raised an eyebrow.

 

“Not his name, or yours. But either way, you don't have to. We already have it.” Zico sat up straight in shock.

 

“You-”

 

“Choi Junhong.” The man said. “He told us basically everything you couldn't. And trust me, we believe the story. But what we need is for you to be his defense when he stands in court.” Zico shook his head.

 

“I can't.” He said. “I… I just can't do that.”

 

“Besides the victim, you're the only witness. And she's not exactly the most credible person.” Zico frowned.

 

“Wait- your partner said that someone saw everything.” The officer shrugged.

 

“He lied. We’re allowed to do that. We needed your account of what happened, because Junhong wasn't talking. But he did now, and so did you, and now we need you to be his defense.” Zico narrowed his eyes.

 

“Why are you trying to help him?” He asked.

 

“Because it's only fair. The kid had a mental breakdown and he needs psychiatric help. He's been traumatized and screwed over so many times that he deserves something to go right.” Zico leaned forward.

 

“You know why he shot her, don't you?” He asked. The officer nodded.

 

“I do. She killed his brother and got off with an insanity plea.” Zico stiffened.

 

“Was his name Himchan?” The officer nodded and a sense of clarity passed over Zico. “I… I’ll help. But on one condition.”

 

“Which is?”

 

“Neither of us will be charged with illegal possession of firearms.” The officer grinned slightly.

 

“You really know how to get your way, don't you?” Zico nodded. “Deal. So. What's your name?”

 

“Woo Jiho. I’m technically a missing person, so you can get rid of that file.”

 

 

A/N this is technically the final chapter. HOWEVER, I have an epilogue for y'all coming tomorrow!