Seventeen

Monster

The man’s fist connected with his face and he stumbled back, feeling blood start to pour from his nose. He muttered a swear and kicked at the man, hitting his stomach. The man let out an ‘oof’ sound and staggered. Zelo reached out and grabbed the man’s hand, or more specifically, his pinky. 

 

There’s a tendon in the pinky that reaches all the way up your arm. Where the pinky goes, the body goes.

 

Zelo yanked his pinky around and the man’s body twisted, trying to follow. He heard a small snap and felt a small bit of grim satisfaction. Using his moment of dominance, he raised his knee and it into the man’s stomach. The man fell back, his face white in pain. Zelo went to knock him out, but was suddenly yanked away by a second person. The man grabbed his wrist and twisted it around, making him help in pain.

 

He managed to jerk himself away and lashed out with his left hand. He clapped it over the man’s ear and the man screamed. He lashed out at Junhong, landing a punch on his cheek. His head snapped to the side, but he quickly turned, ready to retaliate.

 

But just before he could strike, he felt a solid kick on his lower back and he collapsed to his knees. He was pulled up again and slammed against the wall. His head connected with the brick and a burst of stars imprinted on his closed eyelids. He let out a small moan, his head swimming in pain.

 

Faintly, he heard someone calling for him. Somewhere in his mind, the voice became his brother, calling for him, trying to get his attention.

 

“Hey Jelly, how was school?”

 

“It was fine hyung.”

 

“Do you have any homework?”

 

“Only a little bit.”

 

There was a sense of peace that Zelo felt, receding into his memories. His head was killing him and his whole body ached, but he felt a calmness he hadn’t felt in a long time. The calm after the storm. The calm that could be felt in the dead of the night, when the city slept.

 

But he was suddenly yanked into reality, as the man holding him jerked away and he crumpled to the ground. Suddenly he was back to the alley, back in the fight. He heard swearing around him and the sound of skin meeting skin. He looked up to see Zico, looking furious, as he punched the man in the throat and then kneed him in the crotch. The man yelled and Zico hit him in the head, effectively knocking him out. Taeil seemed to be fighting the other man that had attacked Zelo, and didn't look like he was needing any help.

 

“Let's get out of here!” He heard someone yell and the other men all seemed to turn to run. Once the fighting had stopped, Zico turned to Zelo, who was still on the ground. He dropped to his knees next to the younger boy, and smoothed his hair back.

 

“Are you okay?” He asked anxiously. “How badly did they hurt you?”

 

“Fine…” Zelo murmured. “I’ll be fine.”

 

“Zelo. I don't care about ‘will be’. How are you now?” Zelo met Zico’s eyes, which were filled with both concern and a certain level of demand.

 

“I- my head hurts… And my back. I-it's not too bad though.”

 

“... We’ll see what Jaehyo and Yeonsoo say.” He said. “If they say you can't fight for a while, you're not fighting for a while. Okay?” Zelo nodded. Zico stood up and held his hand out to the younger boy. Zelo took it and Zico helped him up. As Zico pulled him up, Zelo watched his flick to Zelo’s arm. His sleeve had been pushed up during the fight, leaving his wrist uncovered, showing it was covered with thin red and white scars. Zelo met his eyes, calmly, daring him to say something. 

 

Zico was silent. He motioned for the others to follow and turned, heading back to where the base was. Zelo pushed his sleeve down and followed the older man. 

 

As soon as they got back, Zico pulled Zelo aside.

 

“We’re going to get you checked out, okay?” He said and Zelo nodded. Zico lead Zelo to a small room. As Zelo walked in, he noted that the room was cleaner than the rest of the building, almost meticulously clean. A small bed was set in the corner, with light bedsheets. There were a couple chairs, with two men in sitting in them. They both looked up at Zico and Zelo, a look of slight concern.

 

“What's wrong?” One of them asked. He had a pretty face, sort of interesting and different. Zelo felt a small pang of uncomfort. The man reminded him a bit of Himchan. His brother had had that kind of face too, pretty and interesting. They looked nothing alike, but it hurt all the same.

 

“This is Zelo.” Zico said. “Zelo, these are our medics, Jaehyo and Yeonsoo.” The other one, a slender man with a sort of sweet, open face, smiled at Zelo.

 

“I’m Yeonsoo.” He said.

 

“Are one of you hurt?” The other, Jaehyo, Zelo assumed, asked. Zico nodded.

 

“Zelo was hurt in a fight, and I wanted to make sure that it isn't too bad.” Yeonsoo nodded and stood up. He put a hand on Zelo’s shoulder, an act that Zelo usually would shy away from. However, Yeonsoo seemed different, nicer. He lead Zelo to the small bed and instructed him to sit down, which Zelo did. 

 

Jaehyo rose from his chair and turned to Zico.

 

“You,” he said, pointing at him. “Out. Now.” Zico opened his mouth to protest but Yeonsoo cleared his throat. Jaehyo then gave Zico a dark look and Zico sighed. He shot a look at the two then gave Zelo a nod, before leaving.

 

“Thought you might not want him here.” Jaehyo said, turning to Zelo. “He means well, but… He asks a lot of questions, and people are usually more comfortable with just us in here.” Zelo nodded.

 

“Where were you hurt?” Yeonsoo asked.

 

“My head hit the wall and I was kicked in the back. Also, my nose.” Yeonsoo nodded.

 

“Anything else?” Jaehyo asked. Zelo frowned, thinking.

 

“I mean- I was punched in the face and it hurt my neck too.” He said.

 

“That's probably just the force of the punch. Like whiplash from a sudden stop in a car, you know?” Zelo nodded. “It looks like the punch is gonna leave a nasty bruise, but I think that’ll be fine. Do you mind pulling up the back of your shirt, so we can see your back?” Zelo hesitated but then complied, turning and lifting the back of his shirt.

 

He felt Yeonsoo’s cool fingers touch his back and he jumped slightly. Yeonsoo murmured an apology and pressed slightly near the small of his back.

 

“Does it hurt the most here?” He asked and Zelo nodded.

 

“It doesn't look too serious.” Jaehyo said. “How does it feel?”

 

“It just hurts.” He said. “I-it’s not that bad.”

 

“You sure?” Zelo nodded again.

 

“It doesn't feel bad.” Yeonsoo said. “A bruise, maybe a little swelling at most. It was a hard kick but it didn't cause too much damage. Now, your head…” Zelo felt Yeonsoo’s fingers release his back and a moment later, Yeonsoo was pushing up the back of Zelo’s hair.

 

He heard a couple footsteps and took it that Jaehyo was coming closer.

 

“That doesn't look great.” He heard Jaehyo say softly.

 

“I don't think that it caused a concussion, but I’m gonna tell you to not do much fighting for a while. It was bleeding, not badly, and it looks like it's stopped now, but still. I’m gonna clean it up a bit, okay? This is gonna sting. Jaehyo-”

 

“Got it.” He heard more footsteps and Jaehyo rummaging around. He heard water running for a moment then Jaehyo walk back over. A minute later, a cold cloth was pressed to the back of his head. It stung and Zelo yelped. 

 

“Shh, shh, give me a moment.” A minute later, the cloth was gone. Zelo turned to face around and touched the back of his head, which was damp.

 

“You said your nose was hit? I can see the blood.” Jaehyo asked and Zelo nodded. Yeonsoo took Zelo’s face in his hand and wiped the blood away. He touched Zelo’s nose lightly and Zelo winced.

 

“Well, it's not broken, so you're pretty lucky. It’ll be fine.” He said and Jaehyo nodded. “You're free to go now.” Jaehyo walked over to the door and opened it. Zelo stood up and thanked them quietly, walking out the door. 

 

“Come back again in a couple days so we can make sure you’re healing fine.” Jaehyo called after him. “Oh wait! Do you know if anyone else was badly hurt?” Zelo shook his head.

 

“I don't think so.” He said. “They weren't good fighters. The only reason they got me was because two of them attacked me, and one caught me off guard.” Yeonsoo smiled at him.

 

“I assumed it was something like that. Sanha mentioned you’re a good fighter.” Zelo gave him a nod and and walked away

 

 

A/N Yeonsoo is another member of Alphabat, aka Delta. He's a sweetie