Four

Monster

“This is officer Son Ga In, what's going on?” 

 

“We have a report of a burnt up car on the side of the road, just outside of the city. You and your partner are to come and investigate.” 

 

“Alright, send me directions and we will be there as soon as possible.” She heard a click as the call ended, and she got a text, moments later, with directions to the road. She turned to where her partner was watching with interest. “Jo Kwon, come on, we’re going to investigate a burnt car just outside of town. Jo Kwon grinned.

 

“Cool.” He said and Ga In narrowed her eyes.

 

“Not cool. Bad Jo Kwon. Let's just go.” Jo Kwon stood up and the two headed out.

 

 

“We’re here.” Ga In said and ducked under the police tape around the scene. “What do you think happened?”

 

“It looks as though someone lit the truck on fire, though we don't know why.” Another officer told the two. “It seems as though there was a trail of gas leading away from the car, and a lighter was found near the scene of the crime.”

 

“A lighter?” Jo Kwon asked and the officer nodded, pulling out a bag with a burnt red lighter.

 

“There’s no sign of anyone nearby. It's a pretty empty road, it’s not surprising the person who burnt the car got away. The question is ‘why’.” A moment later, another officer ran up, their face pale.

 

“We think there’s a body in the trunk. Ga In’s eyes widened. She and Jo Kwon bolted over to the car and looked inside the open trunk. And, there in the open trunk, was a charred, still slightly smoking, body. 

 

“.” She heard Jo Kwon whisper, next to her. “I think we just found our ‘why’.” Ga In turned to him, her face serious.

 

“Call a ME.” She told him and he nodded, pulling out his phone.

 

 

“I’m here.” Park Hyojin said, walking up to them. She surveyed the body, a calm look on her face. “It looks pretty bad. But…” She touched the corpse’s face and opened it’s mouth. There was a small crackling could and Ga In shuddered, Jo Kwon touched her shoulder.

 

“The teeth are still intact.” Hyojin said, almost to herself. “So we can still get a positive identity.”

 

“Are you sure?” Ga In asked and Hyojin nodded.

 

“I’m sure. If they’ve ever had their teeth worked on, there will be files and we’ll get them.”

 

 

“I found fragments of rope fiber around the victim’s wrists and ankles.” Hyojin announced and Jo Kwon frowned.

 

“He was tied up?” He asked and Hyojin nodded.

 

“Mhm. Also, I have a match on the identity.” she consulted her clipboard, a somber look on her face. “He's a college student from Korea University Law School. His name is Kim Himchan. Twenty years old.” Ga In frowned. 

 

“That name sounds familiar.” She said, quietly, knitting her brows. She racked her brain for information, but she couldn't quite place the name. Suddenly Jo Kwon straightened, a horrified look on his face. He turned to Ga In, his eyes wide,

 

“Officer Mihye’s case.” He said. “The fourteen year old boy with the missing brother. Wasn't the brother Kim Himchan.” Ga In felt the blood drain from her face and she shook her head, a horrible feeling crossing over her.

 

“Oh no.” She said. “Oh, oh no