Ten

Monster
Three weeks. That was how long it took for Junhong to break. Three weeks of constant torment. Three weeks until Soonkyung came back and struck the final blow that broke the wall Junhong had kept up in hopes of keeping his emotions back and his desperation inside. 

 

It happened in the bathroom. He had been caught, just like he had been trying to avoid, and just like he knew was going to happen. He had been washing his hands when suddenly a hand had grasped his hair and jerked him back. His head had cracked against the door of a bathroom stall and he had dropped, his head swimming in pain.

 

“You ing idiot.” Soonkyung hissed. “You thought you could just get away with getting me suspended? Did you?” Junhong didn't answer. His head hurt, but he looked around, trying to find an exit. Two of Soonkyung’s friends were standing next to the door, smirking at him. The only other opening was a window where he would easily be caught if he tried to escape.

 

Soonkyung grabbed his shirtfront and hauled him to his feet. He shoved him against a wall and grinned. With his other hand, he punched Junhong in the gut. Junhong almost doubled over, but Soonkyung pressed him against the wall again, making his head smack the wall. He then threw Junhong down on the ground and kicked him, aiming for his face. Junhong tried to move, but not quick enough and Soonkyung’s foot caught his nose. There was a cracking sound and he felt warm blood start to run down his face. He let out a low moan of pain and the other boys laughed.

 

“You’re so weak. You can't even real defend yourself.” Junhong struggled to sit up, only to be kicked down again. He lay there for a moment trying to gather his bearings as cackling surrounded him.

 

“You can't do anything can you?” Soonkyung said, faking pity. “Also I heard about your brother. You poor thing, the only person who loved you died didn't he? ing got himself lit on fire because he was a who couldn't handle his girlfriend. You’re a too, must run in the family.” 

 

That was it. The breaking point. The wall he’d kept up crumbled. Anger overwhelmed him and all he could see was red. He pulled himself to his feet and turned around to face Soonkyung.

 

“Think you can fight back?” Soonkyung taunted. “Let's see you try. I'd love to beat your ing until you run away crying and just ing kill yourself. Follow your brother and go to hell.”

 

“Do not.” Junhong said, his voice surprisingly calm. “Talk about Himchan. He was a better person than you will ever be, or even could be. If anyone's going to hell, it's you. And if someone's going first between us, then that's also you.” Soonkyung looked slightly disconcerted for a second.

 

“What the do you think you're saying?” He asked finally, getting his look of superiority back. “Do you think you’re a man now? Think you can take care of yourself? Apparently your brother tried that, and see how that worked out for him-”

 

“Shut the up!” He said and his hand went instinctively to his pocket, where he kept his pocketknife. He’d gotten it in case he needed to protect himself walking home, but he didn't think of that now. All he could think of was Soonkyung and how much he hated him.

 

“Dude, he has a knife!” It was one of Soonkyung’s friends. Soonkyung’s eyes widened.

 

“Whoa,” he said, holding out his hands. “C-calm down. You don't need to-”

 

“Shut up! Just shut up!” Junhong snapped. “Do you just think you can go around acting like you're better than everyone else and you know everything and not face some ing consequences?! I swear to God, I’ll kill you right here for what you ing did! Don’t you dare talk about my brother like you knew him! Himchan deserved everything and you deserve to be ing killed! You’re going to ing rot in hell, and when you get there make sure you send me a ing postcard because I’ll be so glad to know you’re doing horribly!” 

 

“Come on, man.” One of his friends pleaded, taking a step towards him. Junhong swung around to face him and he immediately stopped. “Just calm down-”

 

“Don't tell me to ing calm down! Get the hell away from me!” The boy stepped back and Junhong turned back to Soonkyung.

 

“You wouldn't kill me.” Soonkyung said, though he didn't sound certain. A ghost of a smile spread across Junhong’s face and he laughed.

 

“Would I? I don't have anything to lose, now do I? My parents are dead- my brother’s dead- I have no one who even ing cares! Everyone's dead- and so am I. I died along with Himchan that day and all I ing am is an empty shell. I won't feel anything if I kill you right now. All it will be to me is getting rid of something that's tormented me since I started school.” Soonkyung back up and Junhong took another step towards him, still smiling.

 

“He’s not kidding dude! Let's get out of here!” One of them yelled and the three boys scrambled out of the bathroom. 

 

A sense of dread of dread filled Junhong as he realized what he’d done. And for a moment, all that ran through his head was I have to get out of here.

 

He shoved the pocketknife back into his sweater pocket and grabbed the edge of the window, hauling himself up and through. He dropped to the ground beneath him and bolted.