Eighteen

Monster

A/N there is the use of a homophobic slur in this chapter I thought you should know just in case

 

“Well it looks like you’ve been healing fine. If Taewoon and Zico give you the okay, then you can join back into patrols and whatnot. Take it easy though, don't fight if you don't have to. And be mindful of your head if you do.”

 

“That almost sounded like a pun.” Jaehyo interjected and Yeonsoo laughed. He patted Zelo’s shoulder. 

 

“If you hurry, you might be able to catch Zico before he leaves.” Yeonsoo told him and Zelo nodded, standing up.

 

“Thank you.” He said and left. He managed to push open the doors just in time to see the patrol leaving. “Hey!” They turned and Zelo could see Zico raise his eyebrows.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“They told me I was okay to join. With your permission.” Zico looked thoughtful for a moment, before shrugging slightly.

 

“I don't think that we’ll really be getting into any fights today.” He concluded. “I guess you can come along. Come on, let's go.” Zelo felt a small twinge of frustration that Zico didn't seem to happy to let him join, but he didn't say anything. 

 

As they walked, one of the men, Ukwon, fell into step with Zelo.

 

“Don't take it personally.” He said. “Zico not wanting you to come, that is. He’s kinda protective over you, since you’re so young.”

 

“It's not like I'm useless or a bad fighter.” Zelo said quietly and Ukwon shrugged.

 

“That’s true. But trust me, it's not that he doesn't think you can handle it. It's that he doesn't want you to have to. He was like that when Kyung first joined too.”

 

“Isn't Kyung older than him?”

 

“Well, yes. But they knew each other before any of this . Kyung joined because he was looking for Zico, and Zico was pissed. He isn't pissed at you, though. He just doesn't want you to get hurt, and neither does Taewoon. It's honestly because you're a kid. Trust me, he’ll loosen up.” Zelo nodded and Ukwon sped up slightly, going back to where he’d been before.

 

They were near the orphanage again. Zelo always felt slightly uncomfortable around here, hating the fact that they were so close to a spot he’d known so well.

 

Suddenly, Zico stopped. He lifted a finger to his lips and no one moved.

 

“Please- just leave me alone-” Zelo stiffened. That voice… It was so familiar.

 

“Shut up, you stupid .” Someone snarled. Now that voice, Zelo was sure of. Park Soonkyung, Zelo’s old tormenter. 

 

“What did I do, I never even spoke to you!” He could hear Soonkyung snicker.

 

“No, but you're disgusting. A stupid , you and your stupid boyfriend!”

 

“I don't have a-” There was the sound of skin hitting skin and Zelo knew that the other person had been hit. A moment later was a thud. The person was on the ground.

 

Suddenly, Zelo realized whose voice it had been. Without thinking, he shoved past the other people and bolted into the alley. He could feel Zico grab for him, but he pulled away. Soonkyung was standing over the other boy, who was crumpled on the ground. He didn't see Zelo, so Zelo grabbed him from behind and shoved him against the wall. He glared at Soonkyung.

 

“Whoa- who the -”

 

“Shut up.” Zelo growled. A nervous look crossed Soonkyung’s face. Obviously, the other boy didn't recognize him, but he was scared all the same. “What do you think you’re doing?”

 

“I- I-”

 

“Zelo!” He heard Zico snap. He ignored the older man and kept his eyes on Soonkyung.

 

“You're disgusting.” Zelo told him and shoved him away. “Get out of here. And if I find you hurting someone again, I won't be as merciful.” Soonkyung bolted away and Zelo turned, kneeling down next to the fallen boy. The boy moved slightly, and Zelo touched his shoulder. He jerked away slightly.

 

“I won't hurt you.” Zelo said quietly and then helped the boy to sit up. The boy met his eyes and frowned slightly.

 

“Do I- do I know you?” He asked and Zelo didn't answer. He helped the boy to stand up and then looked at him seriously.

 

“Go home.” He said. “And get some rest. He didn't hurt you that badly, but you're going to want to rest.”

 

“But who-”

 

“Go.” The boy frowned but nodded, walking away slowly. After the other boy was out of earshot, he turned to Zico, who looked furious.

 

“What the ?!” He snapped. Zelo looked at him evenly.

 

“I couldn't not do anything.”

 

“We weren't just going to leave the kid alone, but you ing just did that without permission!”

 

“I’m sorry hyung, but I knew both of them. I didn't think.”

 

“Zelo, they could have recognized you!”

 

“I knew they wouldn't.” Zico ran his hand through his hair, looking annoyed.

 

“Fine. Whatever. Who were they?”

 

“The boy who was beating the other up was Park Soonkyung. He’s technically the reason I joined.”

 

“The kid you pulled a knife on?” Kyung asked and Zelo nodded. “Who was the other?”

 

“His name is Daehyun. He was the son of the orphanage owner.” Zico sighed.

 

“We’re going back now. You're in a load of trouble right now, Zelo. Watch yourself.” Zelo nodded and they headed back to the base. When they got back, Zico didn't even look at the younger boy, he just walked away. 

 

Zelo on the other hand, headed straight for the practice room. Like usual, Sanha was in there. It looked like he was taking a break, sitting on a bench, with a towel around his neck.

 

“Hyung, can I ask you for some help?” Sanha looked up and raised his eyebrows.

 

“Help with what?”

 

“Can you get me about 15,000 won?” He asked and Sanha frowned.

 

“Why?”

 

“Please don't ask. Just… Just know that I'm not trying to do anything that could put anyone in danger. Okay?” Sanha sighed.

 

“Fine.” He stood up and walked over to where his jacket was. Rummaging through the pocket, he produced the money and handed it to Zelo.

 

“Thank you hyung.”

 

“Don't bother paying me back. It's okay.” Zelo nodded and ran out of the room.

 

That night, Zelo snuck out. He headed to a small convenience store and bought what he needed, still having a bit of money left over. He managed to get back to the base without any trouble and was back in his room before anyone even noticed he was gone.

 

The next day was tense. Zico still seemed to be angry at him for what he did, and Zelo didn't really blame him. A couple other gang members would give him pitying looks, but Zelo was trying not to think about it. 

 

When there was no one around, he snuck out again. He stopped a boy, maybe around thirteen, to finish the job.

 

“Hey, can you do me a favor?” The kid looked at him in confusion.

 

“Um, maybe?” He said and Zelo dug out the extra money and an envelope.

 

“Do you know where the orphanage is?” The boy nodded. “Okay, good. Could you bring this envelope there and tell them it’s for Jung Daehyun. You can keep the money if you do that. Don't open the letter though.” The boy nodded eagerly and took the items and ran off.