Twenty one

Monster

“Hyung?” Zico said, knocking on the door. Taewoon opened the door and raised his eyebrows slightly. “We need to talk.”

 

“Come in.” He said, moving out of the way. Zico nodded and walked in, throwing himself down into the chair in the corner. “What's up?”

 

“Did you hear Zelo scream?” Taewoon nodded.

 

“Yeah. I went to check it out, but you were already there.”

 

“He had a nightmare.” Zico reported. “I don't know what it was, but I rarely see people that upset. I think… There had to have been someone he lost, more recently, that affected him really badly. He said ‘Himchan’. I don't know who it was, probably a friend or family member. I just… I wish I could help him, but I have no idea what happened.”

 

“You really care about that kid, don't you?” Taewoon asked.

 

“Don't you?” Zico shot back. “He’s what, like seventeen, now, and he’s obviously lost his parents, and he has police thinking he’s a ing criminal and he’s in a street gang.” Taewoon raised his eyebrows.

 

“You first joined a gang when you were thirteen.” He said softly.

 

“That doesn't matter.” Zico said. “I did it because you were in trouble. You’re my brother.”

 

“You didn't have to try to save me yourself. You could have gone to the police.”

 

“You were dealing with a gang, you probably would've died. I took my chances and look at us now! We have one of the most dangerous gangs in the city and we're not gonna be hurt any time soon.”

 

“He joined to save himself. Do you regret asking him to join?” Zico frowned.

 

“No- I mean, yes, kind of, but…”

 

“Only because he’s gotten hurt right? You didn't think about it at first. You were excited to have him join.” Zico sighed.

 

“Stop turning this against me.” He snapped. “I'm just trying to tell you that I think something is seriously wrong with Zelo. All that can't be good for him and I'm scared that he's gonna get himself hurt.”

 

“I don't think he’s that stupid.” Taewoon said softly and Zico looked him in the eye.

 

“He has scars.” He said and Taewoon’s eyes widened. “On his wrist. He has some kind of history of self harm in the past and I have very little doubt he wouldn't put himself at risk for something that means a lot to him. He nearly got himself caught by saving the son of the lady who owns the orphanage. You remember him?” Taewoon frowned

 

“Vaguely. Dae… Something. I remember he was a bit younger than you.”

 

“Daehyun. Zelo saved him from being beaten up. Not only did he know Daehyun, but he also knew the guy that was beating him up. He really risked his identity and if that doesn't worry you, I don't know what will.”

 

“... Stick around him for a while. If you can't, have someone else. Don't let him be alone for too long then. Kyung, Sungmin, Sanha, someone.” Zico nodded.

 

“I honestly wish that whatever happened to him hadn't happened.” He said in a quiet voice. “He was just a kid. He could have lived without all of this.” Taewoon nodded.

 

“I know.” He said. “But so could we have. Sometimes, the world’s just a and you have to learn to deal with it. Sometimes it just takes a while. But we have to take care of Zelo, until things get better.”

 

“Thanks hyung.” Zico told him, rising up from his chair. Taewoon smiled at him.

 

“I'm supposed to be leader, right? Leaders are supposed to take care of those they lead.” Zico nodded and walked out

 

 

A/N I'm out of school!! Whoop! This was a bit of a filler chapter tbh. But for a bit of background, Zico and Taewoon are orphans as well and used to live at the orphanage. After finishing this fic, I'm considering writing their story. Is that something you all would be interested in?