Twelve

Monster

Junhong’s feet hit the ground hard, his blood pounding in his ears, and his breath sharp. After a while, he slowed down, gradually coming to a stop. He doubled over put his hands on his knee, breathing hard. His nose had stopped bleeding, but he felt dizzy.

 

He managed to wobbled over to an alley, where he collapsed against the brick wall. He leaned back against it and closed his eyes, trying to catch his breath. He heard footsteps faintly, but he couldn't think straight and didn't react. That is, until they spoke.

 

“Hey! Who the hell are you?!” Junhong’s eyes snapped open and he stared the small group that had surrounded him.

 

“Looks like a high school kid.” Someone mused. “Hey kid, shouldn't you be in school?” Junhong didn't answer. There were about six of them, all men, all wearing masks and staring at him. He tensed up, his eyes flicking between them.

 

“He's bloody.” One of them said, sounding almost amused. “Looks like he got himself into a fight. Did you get into a fight, kid?” One again, Junhong stayed silent.

 

 

“Do you think he can talk?” It was the first person again, staring at him curiously.

 

“I think he’s just deciding to not.” The third said.

 

“Are you runnin’ from the cops?” This time it was one who’d pointed out the fact he was bloody. “Get in a fight then bolt?”

 

“Who in’ cares, he’s in our territory.” Another said. “We should just shoot ‘em now. Before he does something stupid.”

 

“You will not shoot him.” The last one, who hadn't spoken until now said. “Don't you even think about shooting him.” He had a powerful voice, commanding, even.

 

“Shut up, Zico.” The one who’d threatened to shoot snapped. “It's not like you’re the leader, here.” The one called Zico raised his eyebrow.

 

“You think I don't know that?” He asked. “I know I'm not leader. But who is?”

 

“... Taewoon.” The other muttered.

 

“And tell me, what does that mean?”

 

“It means that you’re the leader’s brother.” Zico nodded.

 

“It also means I’m second in command.” He said, his voice sweet. “So I'm higher up than you.” The guy glared at him and Zico glared back. Everyone’s attention was focused on the two and Junhong slipped his hand inside his pocket, feeling the knife, gripping it tightly.

 

Finally, the man who had threatened him let out a huff and turned away. Zico’s eyes flashed as though he approved of the man’s final decision. Then, he turned towards Junhong, and his hard eyes seemed to soften slightly.

 

“Hey, kid, are you alright?” He stepped towards Junhong and bent down near him. Instantly, Junhong pulled the knife out and held it up, immediately pulling himself tighter. Zico held his hands up and straightened, taking a step back.

 

“Calm down.” He said, his voice even. “I won't hurt you.” He didn't sound like he was lying, but Junhong didn't move.

 

There was a long silence as all of the men stood silently, tense. Junhong didn't move either, just kept his eyes on Zico. Zico kept his gaze, calmly, and without any sign of fear. Somewhere in the back of Junhong’s mind, he recognized the fact that Zico had probably been in enough fights that a skinny kid with a knife didn't scare him.

 

A little further away, the sound of sirens came into earshot. They started growing louder and that’s when a look of fear crossed Zico’s face. His eyes hardened again and he narrowed them, still looking at Junhong.

 

“Did you get into a fight?” The commanding tone was back and Junhong felt a rush of fear. “Answer me!”

 

“Yes.” He said, quickly.

 

“Did you pull a knife?” Junhong nodded. “Was it at school?”

 

“Y-yeah.” Zico swore.

 

“They might be looking for you.” Junhong’s eyes widened and Zico turned to the others, apparently no longer concerned by Junhong’s knife. “Get out of here.” He commanded. “I’ll meet up soon.”

 

“Zico-” The one who had said Junhong looked like a high schooler started, but Zico cut him off.

 

“Kyung, get the hell out of here! I promise, I’ll meet up?” Kyung hesitated a moment more, but then waved his hand at the other men. They bolted and Zico turned back to Junhong.

 

“Make a choice kid. Go on your own and get caught by the cops, or come with me and join a street gang. It's your choice but you gotta make it fast.”

 

“I- I-”

 

“The cops are almost here!” Zico shouted and Junhong made up his mind.

 

“I’ll join!” Zico grabbed Junhong’s wrist and hauled him to his feet. He took off running, dragging the younger boy behind him. He lead Junhong through what seemed to be a maze of alleyways and back streets.

 

Finally, they stopped in front of a run-down looking building. As Zico pushed open the door, they could hear a voice shouting from inside.

 

“What the hell do you mean you left Zico behind?!” Zico grimaced.

 

“.” He said, and pulled Junhong down a hallway, towards where the shout had come from. As they got closer, Junhong could hear another voice, that of the man Zico had called Kyung.

 

“... Told us to leave, I swear. He told us to go ahead, because we heard sirens, and-”

 

“That doesn't mean you actually leave.” The other man hissed. “If Zico gets caught by the police, I swear to God, I’ll-”

 

“Put a little trust in me, why don'tcha?” Zico complained as he shoved open the door at the end of the hall. There was a group of men inside, circling two in the center. Kyung, and another man, about the same height as Zico. The man turned when he heard Zico, and sighed in relief. His hand, which had been gripping the front of Kyung’s shirt, loosened.

 

“God dammit, Zico, stop taking stupid risks.” He said.

 

“First off, I knew exactly what I was doing, I knew I'd be fine. Second, let go of Kyung. Third, do you really expect me to be caught so easily?” The man released Kyung’s shirt and turned more to face them. He eyed Junhong, who was standing behind Zico, his eyes wide.

 

“And fourth…” He said, turning his eyes to Zico. “You're going to explain who this is?” Zico turned and grabbed Junhong’s wrist, though more gently than before.

 

“We found him bleeding in an alley. He got in a fight at school and the cops were looking for him. I stayed back to tell him either he goes on his own and probably gets caught, or he comes and joins us.”

 

“Jesus Christ, Zico, do you even know his name?” Zico opened his mouth to answer, but Junhong cut in.

 

“Junhong.” He said. “My name is Choi Junhong.”

 

“What was the fight over?” The man asked.

 

“I got a kid suspended.” Junhong answered truthfully. “And when he came back he attacked me. I pulled a pocketknife on him and he ran. I knew he’d tell, so I kinda freaked out and escaped.”

 

“How?”

 

“The bathroom window.”

 

“How old are you, Junhong.”

 

“I’m fifteen.” The man turned back to Zico.

 

“Zico,” he started. “You just brought a fifteen year old kid-”

 

“Taewoon. How old were you when we got into this ?”

 

“That's different.” Taewoon snapped. He turned back to Junhong. “Listen kid, street life isn't for most people. It's rough, it's dangerous. If you can't handle it, you'll be ripped to shreds by opposing gangs. It’s probably better if you go home and just forget about this. Explain that they attacked you and you won't be in as much trouble. Honestly, what about your family?” Junhong winced slightly, but regained his composure quickly. He met Taewoon’s gaze evenly.

 

“I don't have any family.” He said softly. “And I'm not going back to that hell.”

 

“You're entering a whole new hell.” Taewoon warned.

 

“I can handle it.” Taewoon stared at him, and Junhong stared back, daring him to say something more. Finally, Taewoon sighed and turned back to Zico.

 

“Yah, Zico.”

 

“Yeah?” Zico said, his voice slightly anxious.

 

“You teach him how stuff around here works.” Taewoon told him. “Since you brought him here, you take care of him until he’s able to do stuff on his own. Take care of his fighting training, teach him the rules, and for God’s sake, make sure he doesn't get himself badly hurt.”

 

“Got it.” Zico said. “Junhong, let's go. I’ll show you around here.” Junhong nodded and followed Zico out of the room.

 

 

 

A/N And in comes Block B + Taewoon. I couldn't help but have Zico and Taewoon be leaders of a gang I love that sort of thing for them. Anyways, I hope you guys are enjoying the fic and I really enjoy hearing your feedback. So what do you think is gonna happen next? Will Yongguk find Junhong soon? Will a street gang be good for Junhong? Is Junhong really 'unstable'?