Twenty five

Monster

“Why did you shoot her?” Kikwang asked, setting his palms on the table. The kid sitting in front of him looked awful. His cheeks were still wet from tears, his face was pale, and his eyes rimmed with red. He looked like he was shaking slightly, his hands folded in his lap. He’d been quiet on the ride over and he had yet to make eye contact.

 

“I’m sorry.” He whispered and Kikwang sat down roughly, annoyed. ‘I’m sorry’ had been all this kid had said since the confession.

 

“Listen kid, you have to answer me.” At this, the kid raised his eyes, barely meeting Kikwang’s.

 

“That’s a lie.” He said quietly. “I don’t have to speak without a lawyer present.”

 

“Are you requesting a lawyer?” Kikwang asked and the kid dropped his eyes again. Kikwang shook his head in frustration and walked out of the room. He walked over to where Yongguk was interrogating the other man and knocked twice on the glass. Yongguk got up and walked out.

 

“Get anything from him?” He asked in his low voice. Kikwang shook his head.

 

“Only ‘I’m sorry’ and insight to the fact he knows he doesn’t have to talk.” Yongguk sighed.

 

“This guy’s got some sass. He insists the kid didn’t mean to shoot. Says he had some sort of mental breakdown.” Kikwang frowned.

 

“The kid didn't say anything about not meaning to shoot. He didn't imply he didn't mean to either. He just keeps saying ‘I’m sorry’.” Yongguk was silent for a moment before pointing at the room he had just been in.

 

“You wanna switch? I take the kid, you take Mr. Sassy here?” Kikwang shrugged.

 

“I don't see why not.” He said and walked into the room.

 

“You're not the other cop.” The guy said as soon as Kikwang walked in. “Too short.” 

 

“I’m still an officer who knows how to beat your . Let's cut to the chase. The kid said he shot her because she ‘took something special from him’. What was that thing?” The guy’s eyes widened fractionally before he assumed a calm exterior.

 

“He didn't shoot her on purpose.” He insisted.

 

“That's not what I care about right now. That will be dealt with later in court. What I care about is why that kid shot her. Because there is obviously a reason, and I want to know what it is.”

 

“I told the other guy, I don't-”

 

“You don't know, you don't know. Well wanna know what I know? I know you're lying to me. I can tell you're lying and I want you to know that the bigger the reason he shot her, the more likely he’ll get sympathy in court, and the more likely your story about it being a mental breakdown will be seen as right.”

 

Story?!” The guy snapped. “Do you think I’m lying?!”

 

“I'm just stating the facts. If you really care about that kid, then you'll start talking. And you know what? He's in the other room right now, and when I was in there, he was just sitting there crying, saying he was sorry over and over, and-”

 

STOP!” The guy screamed. A moment later he took a shaky breath. “Fine. I'll tell you.” Kikwang sat down calmly and the guy started.

 

“We were walking.” He said. “And he accidentally bumped into her near the bus stop. He apologized and then she turned around. H-he just kinda went pale and whispered ‘you’. She asked if she knew him and he told her ‘don't you ing dare’. He pulled out the gun and she started back away but he told her to stop and she did.”

 

“Did you say anything?”

 

“I started asking what was going on but he told me to shut up. He’s usually really sweet so it shocked me. Anyway, then he pulled off his mask and asked if she recognized him and she did. He also said something about her not going to jail like she she should have. She started apologizing but he cut her off screaming that she knew what she was doing. I yelled at him but he just told me to not get involved with something I didn't understand.”

 

“So you had no idea what was happening?” The guy shook his head.

 

“None.” He answered. “Anyways she tried protesting again but he said something about her literally lighting someone on fire. I think he was an ex of hers because he said that the guy loved her. She also tried saying she loved him but he cut her off and started rambling about how she took everything from him. I- I think he called her Hyorin. Anyways she tried talking to him again but he called her a disgusting member of society and said he wouldn't care if he killed her. She stepped back and he shot her.

 

“You're claiming he didn't know he shot her?”

 

Listen. I screamed his name and he suddenly froze. He suddenly got all upset and he seemed like he wasn't really processing what happened. I told him to put the gun down and he looked at me. He looked like he was scared. He put the gun to his head and I told him to put it down again. He was shaking and crying and he told me he never wanted to kill her, only make her pay, and that he just wanted his hyung back.”

 

“Brother or-”

 

“I don't know.” The guy told him. “I heard sirens and I told him the police were coming but he didn't seem to be listening. I saw his hand tightening and I realized he was about to shoot so I ran forwards and I managed to move his hand just in time for him to not actually shoot himself. I got the gun out of his hand and threw it to the side and then I hugged him and he started sobbing. We kinda fell and then you guys came.” Kikwang was silent for a minute. The guy gave him a bitter look. “Still think I'm lying?”

 

“No.” Kikwang said softly. “I don't.”