Twenty four

Monster

“So, what’s your name?” The officer asked, sitting down in front of Zico. Zico crossed his arms stubbornly.

 

“What’s yours?” He asked back.

 

“Officer Bang Yongguk.” He replied. “Why won’t you tell me your name?”

 

“I don’t want to and I have the legal right to not speak.”

 

“That’s true.” Yongguk said evenly. “I can’t force you to say anything. But I was hoping you could explain what happened? Like who shot that woman?” Zico didn’t answer. “If it was your friend, you should just tell me. We’ll cut you a deal.”

 

“It wasn’t him.” Zico said immediately then bit his lip. He had no idea why he’d been so quick to lie for Zelo, but he decided not to take it back. “I did it. I shot her.”

 

“Why?” Yongguk asked.

 

“Wouldn’t you like to know.” Zico said, skimming around the question.

 

 

“Who shot her?” The officer asked. “Was it your friend?”

 

“No.” Zelo said quietly. “I did it. Not him.” His voice was shaking slightly and he hated it. Hated himself. He wished he’d never run into Min Hyorin. He hated her and he hated that he shot her. He wished he could deny everything and run away, but he couldn’t let Zico take the fall.

 

“Why?” 

 

“Because I hate her.” He answered, his voice barely even a whisper. “She took something very special to me. I’m sorry.”

 

 

Yongguk rapped on the door and a moment later Kikwang appeared.

 

“What did he say?” Yongguk asked.

 

“He confessed to shooting her. He said that she took something from him…?” Yongguk frowned.

 

“My guy confessed too. Wouldn’t say why though, and it seems like he’s probably just protecting the other kid.” 

 

“Go back.” Kikwang said. “Pressure him. I’ll try to get more out of the kid.”

 

 

Zico looked up as Yongguk walked back into the room. 

 

“Why don’t you start telling the truth now.” He said. “You know, like why your friend shot someone?” Zico shifted in his seat, a feeling of discomfort growing.

 

“He didn’t. I did.”

 

“Don’t give me that bull. Someone saw the whole thing, and the kid confessed.” Zico winced. “So why did he do it?”

 

“... I don’t know.” Zico confessed. “It was kinda hard to follow. All I know is she did something horrible in the past to him.”

 

“What was this ‘horrible thing’?” Yongguk asked.

 

“I told you. I don’t know.

 

“What’s your friend’s name?” Zico didn’t answer. “Fine. So why do you think he shot her?”

 

“He didn’t realize he did.” Zico said and Yongguk raised an eyebrow. “You think I’m lying? After she fell he freaked out. He held the gun at himself and started babbling about how he never meant to kill anyone and he had obviously had some sort of ing mental snap. This wasn’t his fault.”

 

“A mental snap?” Yongguk asked, frowning. Zico paused.

 

“Are you going to try to put him in some sort of institution? Cause I swear to God-”

 

“If he had a bad enough snap to where he shot someone without meaning to, he needs some kind of psychiatric help. He could potentially hurt himself or- like he did already- others. But that could keep him out of jail.”

 

“He didn’t mean to shoot her! He didn’t even know he did until-”

 

“He did shoot her though. He attempted to murder her, and though he might not have meant to, he shot her and that’s a criminal act.” Zico ran his hand through his hair, feeling anxious. “But… Where’d he get the gun?” Zico met the officer’s eyes silently, refusing to speak.