Twenty

Monster

“Hyorin, you know I didn't mean to hurt you.” The pretty girl’s eyes were straight forward, but she smiled and nodded.

 

“I know.” She said. “I'm sorry I freaked out so much.”

 

“I really just couldn't handle being in a relationship when you needed a lot of attention. I'm sure there are people who can handle it, and I'm sorry I couldn't. There's just too much going on for me. My job, college, Junhong. It's too much.”

 

“It's alright, Himchan. It'll all be better soon.” Himchan smiled slightly.

 

“I’m glad.” He said. 

 

They were near her car now, at the end of the park. She had promised him a ride, and she intended to keep it. As he was turned, looking at the car, she picked up the branch from the ground and struck. It hit the back of his head and he let out a low moan, slumping to the ground. She opened the trunk of her car and pulled out the blindfold and the rope. She tied him up and then struggled to get him into the trunk. Once he was in there, she closed it and got into the front.

 

She drove, for miles, onto a road that was deserted and lonely. She stopped the car and got out, heading towards the back of the car. She opened the trunk. Himchan was awake now. He was stammering and asking what was happening. She didn't answer, just placed a kiss on his lips, shutting him up. He seemed in shock. She opened the back door and pulled out the gasoline canister. She pulled it open and poured the gasoline over the struggling man.

 

With what was left, she made a small trail leading away from the car. She threw the canister to the side and pulled out her lighter. She flicked it open and stared at the flame for a moment. No one. No one left her.

 

She threw it behind her hearing the flames start to crackle. A scream sounded in the air and-

 

 

Himchan!” Zelo awoke with a scream. Sweat was pouring off his face and there were tears streaming down his face. A minute later, the door was thrown open. Zico was standing in the doorway, white faced and wide-eyed.

 

“Zelo- what- are you-” He noticed the tears on Zelo’s face and quickly walked over, sitting down next to him. Zelo sagged onto him, covering his face. “Zelo…”

 

“Nightmare.” He whispered. “Please, please don't make me explain.”

 

He hated her. He hated Hyorin. He hated the woman that took his brother from him. The woman who had given him treats sometimes and had made his brother so, so happy, before destroying him and murdering him.

 

And Himchan hadn't been the only thing lost that day. Everything Zelo had, his life, his happiness, his only family, his closest friend- they’d all gone up in flames with that damned car. And it was all Min Hyorin’s fault.

 

And maybe Zelo wasn't religious, maybe he couldn't believe in a God that would let her murder Himchan in cold blood, but oh god, did Zelo pray that Himchan had found rest. He wanted Himchan, or at least his soul, to have found some kind of solace. If Zelo couldn't, then he prayed his brother did.

 

He could only think of Hyorin and how she had explained what she’d done. How she’d planned it, how she’d executed it. He had nearly been sick. His sweet, sweet brother, who had only wanted those around him to be happy, had trusted her and she had murdered him.

 

He felt Zico’s arms go around him and he buried his face in the older man’s shoulder. He let out a shuddering sob and Zico his hair, trying to calm him.

 

Fire. He hated fire. Fire was what Hyorin had used to murder Himchan and fire was what had desolated his whole life. And if he was to end in fire, he hoped that, somehow, Hyorin would burn with him. He prayed that he would be able to see her as she began to burn, hoped he’d hear her as she fell. If he fell, he’d make sure that so would she.

 

He was burning now, and he would burn forever. He was burning, he was bleeding, he was dying. He was lost and he was alone, no matter how many people surrounded him everyday. He was stuck, trapped in an eternal cycle, always remembering the day Himchan had died. No matter how beautiful the day would be, the sky would be gray and the world would be screaming.

 

He touched his chest as he cried, trying to make sure he was alive, that he was real. He felt his heart beating and he took a shaky breath. He didn't feel real anymore, just a puppet on a string, a marionette that was still being played, no matter how hard he tried to escape. He felt hopeless and helpless and the world around him was dark. Red eyes, pale face, shaky hands was his outside. Inside, there was nothing. He was empty. Everything he’d once been- a dancer, a student, a brother- had disappeared. He was a scarecrow, eternally used as a ward, a poster child of pain.

 

“It’s okay, Zelo.” He heard Zico whisper. “You’re okay. Just hold on. Hold on.” Zelo almost laughed. He wasn't okay, he would never be okay. And a few pretty words wouldn't change that. How can someone be okay, when they lose all innocence so young? When they lose the only person in the world who mattered to them? How could he be okay when everything that was once right was so, so wrong? 


How could he be okay when he was bleeding out, ever so slowly? 

 

And right, there, as Zico held him, and as he sat there, crying, he made himself a promise. He would avenge Himchan in some way, even if it was the very last thing he’d ever do. He would bleed, he would burn, he would die, if it meant that he could avenge his brother. He would give himself for his brother, even if his sins sent him to hell.

 

 

 

 

A/N poor kid. I've really put him through a lot, haven't I?