One

Monster

“This is 119, what's your emergency?” The woman said calmly.

 

“Hello? Um, my name is Choi Junhong.” She heard a timid voice on the other end reply. “My brother, Himchan… He was supposed to be back a few hours ago, but he hasn't come home. He hasn't been replying to his phone either. I’m really worried about him.”

 

“Alright, when was the last time you made contact with your brother?” The woman asked.

 

“Around five. He usually comes home around then, and he hadn't come back, so I called him. He said that he was talking to someone and he’d be back in around half an hour, an hour at the latest.” The woman glanced at the time. 7:30. A small fear crept into her. 

 

“We’ll send over a couple officers to speak with you, and others will start searching, alright?” She said. 

 

“O-okay.” Junhong said. “The background- it sounded like he was at this little coffee shop he goes to. Matoki Coffee. I-I can't remember where it is but…”

 

“Don't worry. We’ll know. We’ll check there first, okay?”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Where are you?” Junhong said his address and the woman nodded to herself. “Alright. I’m going to hang up now, the police will be there soon.”

 

“Okay.” Junhong said again and the woman hung up.

 

 

 

The officer knocked on the door of the apartment. A moment later, it was opened by a tall, slender teenaged boy with a round face and wide, worried eyes.

 

“Choi Junhong?” She asked and the boy nodded. She showed him her badge. “I’m officer Jo Mihye.” She motioned to the man next to her. “This is my partner Kim Hyungsoo. May we come in?” Junhong nodded again and moved aside, allowing the two to step inside. They did so and Mihye scanned her surroundings.

 

“So you said the last time you made contact was around five, correct?” She asked, turning back to Junhong.

 

“Yes.” Junhong said. 

 

“Can you think of places he might be, besides the coffee shop?”

 

“His college.” Junhong said. “He’s studying to be a lawyer. Besides that, he has a job at the library.” Mihye turned to Hyungsoo, who nodded and pulled out a notepad, jotting it down.

 

“Junhong, where are your parents?” An uncomfortable look crossed the boy’s face.

 

“They’re, um… They died when I was ten. Car accident. Himchan hyung filed for custody three years later and since then he’s been my legal guardian.” Mihye felt a rush of pity for the teenager. No wonder he was so worried. He’d already lost both parents, and now his brother was missing.

 

“I see.” She said. “What else can you tell us about where Himchan could be?” Junhong furrowed his brow, obviously thinking hard about the question.

 

“He might have been with someone.” He said. “Which is why he didn't come home? Maybe a coworker or a friend?” Mihye nodded.

 

“Could you give us some names?” She asked and Junhong nodded.

 

“He’s friends with a few boys from his college- Jung Yonghwa, Lee Jonghyun, Kang Minhyuk, and Lee Jungshin. Um, there’s a girl from work, Jun Hyosung. They’re kind of friends.” Mihye gave Junhong a smile and touched his arm.

 

“Don't worry, Junhong.” She said. “We’re going to find your brother.” Junhong nodded, his eyes lowered. “Can you come with us down to the police station? We want to make sure we can always get into contact with you, in case we find something.” 

 

“Okay.” Junhong said. Mihye smiled at him again and the three left the apartment to head to the station.

 

 

 

 

A/N Please forgive me for the bad start I've never been good at begginings. I promise, it gets way, way better.