Let's Start from the Beginning

Cherry Blossom Tree
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Where are we going, mom?”

“We are going to my friend’s house”

 

The little boy looked at himself on the mirror and he didn’t know why he had to dress this nicely today. He was wearing a sky blue shirt and a black pants. Usually, he could just wear a t-shirt and short pants when they were visiting his mom’s friend’s house but this time, it was different.

“Which friend?” He asked.

“A new one. She just moved here a few days ago and his son is having his birthday today. He is younger than you so you have to treat him well” His mom explained as she still concentrating on the boy’s hair. She was styling it to a 3:7 style, something that considered proper at that time.

“So we are going to a birthday party?”

“You can say it like that” She answered as she checked his reflection on the mirror for the last time, “Let’s go”

 

It was just a 5 minute walk from their own house before they reached their destination. The little boy looked at his mom before his eyes shifted to a house. This house was so pretty from the outside, maybe because of the colorful flowers on the yard? It was already spring after all, the earth was starting to get its colors back.

The little boy’s mom then opened the wooden gate and let themselves in. She pushed the bell and a familiar tone was played from inside the house. Not long after that, a soft steps could be heard before the door was opened, revealing a beautiful tall woman in a white dress.

“Hi Jihyun-ah, I thought you are going to be late” The two woman greeted and had a simple hug.

“Of course I cannot be late, Taehee-ah” The little boy’s mom, Jihyun giggled.

The woman name Kim Taehee then looked at the little boy and she smiled warmly, “This must be Wonwoo, right?”

Wonwoo immediately bowed and greeted her, “Hello, my name is Jeon Wonwoo”

“Aww.. he is so well behave. Mingyu must be happy to have a friend on his birthday” Taehee patted Wonwoo’s head and it earned a wide smile from Jihyun. She was so proud that his son greeted people well. It was the most important basic thing after all, greeting.

Taehee then let them in. They changed their shoes into slippers and went inside the house. Wonwoo was quiet confused at the situation, for sure his mom said they were going to a birthday party but he couldn’t see any other people there. There were no balloons nor any birthday decoration at all. The only thing caught his eyes were the dining table that was full of delicious looking food.

“Mingyu-yah! Come down son” Taehee called her son who was playing in his room upstairs. A loud ‘I’m coming’ also could be heard not long after that. Then, Wonwoo saw a boy around his age was hoping down the stairs. Yeah, you read it right, hoping. It was not really hoping but that how Wonwoo saw it. He just looked so excited and happy, maybe because it was his birthday but Wonwoo just couldn’t relate to him at all. Wonwoo usually the type who would be a bit annoyed when his mom called him down to greet her other friends. Wonwoo didn’t really like meeting new people.

“Hello. My name is Kim Mingyu”

“Happy birthday Mingyu” Wonwoo’s mom gave him a hug before she gave him the present she bought yesterday. Mingyu’s eyes sparkled in excitement.

“Thank you, Mrs Jeon” Mingyu bowed his head and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

Wonwoo was quiet surprised to see that. Wonwoo was not a son that could easily showed his affection verbally or physically. He wasn’t even able to do that to his own mother yet this kid he just met able to kiss his mom just like that.

Wonwoo was in deep thought so he didn’t notice the younger boy attention was already on him.

“Wonwoo hyung”

Wonwoo turned his face towards the person who just called his name, Kim Mingyu. He was smiling from ear to ear and his canine teeth could be seen clearly. But wait, how did he know Wonwoo’s name?

“Let’s go to my room! I’ll show you my toy car collection” Without waiting for the older’s reaction, Mingyu pulled Wonwoo to his room on the second floor. Wonwoo couldn’t reject of course, and he just let himself being pulled as he gave his mom a slight eye contact.

‘Be nice’

Wonwoo sighed.

 

The slightly taller boy looked at the birthday boy’s bedroom and he couldn’t help but to wonder. What was wrong with this room? A lot of boxes were here and there, no bed, no drawer and it was so messy. Too messy. He looked at the puppy like boy who had a big box on his hands. He then put it down and sat on the floor, Wonwoo followed him.

“Hyung! Do you like toy car too?” Mingyu asked but he seemed like he didn’t need an answer as he just continued talking, “This is a car I got from my bestfriend when I was in China, while this is from my dad, he got it when we were in Singapore”

Wonwoo couldn’t lie but to think that this boy was that kind of boy who talked a lot and get excited easily and he was right. Wonwoo didn’t know how many toy cars he had and just how he could remember every little details of it. He talked non-stop and actually, Wonwoo couldn’t catch up with him.

The older boy’s eyes then caught something in the corner of the room. A water globe.

Mingyu was happily showing off his toys to the older before he looked up to see Wonwoo was looking at something else. Mingyu followed the older eyes direction and he saw his music box water globe. Mingyu smiled before he stood up from the floor to take that musical water globe.

Mingyu then turned the key as he walked back to his place before. When he got back to sit he put down the water globe and an unknown tone could be heard.

“I got this when I was in Japan” Mingyu started and it made Wonwoo shifted his attention towards the younger boy, “My father gave this to me”

“Oh..” That was the only reaction Wonwoo could gave. Mingyu chuckled and showed Wonwoo his canine teeth, “This is the most favorite gift I got from my dad! How about you Hyung? What is your favorite gift from your father?”

Wonwoo bit his lips as he didn’t know how to answer that. He never met his father in his entire life. From what he knew, his father died when he was still in his mom’s womb. Hearing Mingyu’s and his story about all these gifts he got from his dad actually made his tummy turned in jealousy.

“Hyung?”

“I don’t have one”

Mingyu arched his eyebrow, “No way hyung! There must be something you like! Right?”

“I don’t” Wonwoo stood up and walked towards the door. He knew this kind of kids well, they would keep asking and asking until they got the answer they wanted. Wonwoo didn’t want to share a private story to other people, he didn’t like it when others know he had no father.

“But it is impossible” Mingyu tried to hold Wonwoo’s arm when the older shrugged it away. Wonwoo thought he didn’t put any strength at all when pushing the younger guy but when he heard something crashing he himself was quiet shock.

The music box dropped onto the floor. The glass was broken into pieces, it was impossible to repair it.

Wonwoo felt this horrible feeling inside his heart when he saw the younger squatted down, looking down at his precious thing. Wonwoo could see Mingyu’s whole body was shaking. Was he crying?

Wonwoo was so sure that he saw a droplet of tears fell onto the floor, he was so sure the younger was crying. Wonwoo then saw the younger rubbed his eyes with his back of palm before he looked up at Wonwoo, smiling.

“It’s okay, hyung” Mingyu said, trying to assure the older that he shouldn’t feel sorry. Wonwoo didn’t say anything about himself feling sorry though, he was a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter