Chapter Nine:

My Royal Punishment

Kyungsoo POV:

 

Morning. . .

 

It's so quiet.

 

He's not here today. 

 

Must be really busy

 

I woke from the large bed, stretched my arms high to feel relieved from the cracking pains I had while I was fast asleep. I then let down my hands and rested it on the soft pillow in my lap, crouching a bit as I looked around the bedroom only lit by the fresh morning sunlight. 

 

"Today is the day. . ." I sighed, staring at the room, finding something that could probably interest me, since I couldn't really understand the least bit of emotion that I was feeling. 

 

Do I feel worried? 

 

Nervous? 

 

Sad? 

 

Happy? 

 

. . . I don't know.

 

The day is so peaceful.

 

But my mind is not at peace. 

 

I just can't put myself to ease.

 

I know from the moment I stared at the large mirror that was beside one of the cabinets, I had a blank look drawn on my face. I cannot really contain myself. I don't even know what I'm actually going to do today. I don't even know what to wear either.

 

I haven't seen him since yesterday.

 

I haven't seen Chanyeol yesterday. True, that I skipped one class yesterday morning, but me and Baekhyun returned to attend the next consecutive classes for the day. I tried to look for him, find him in his classrooms and asked one of the higher classes since he is a senior and was a year older than me. 

 

But, he was no where to be found. 

 

"Sorry Kyungsoo, he hasn't attended one of our classes for this morning, but surely he might attend for the afternoon."

 

I still remember how I actually bumped into a lot of people asking for my autograph or wanted to take a picture with me, and at first it was fine, until a few turned into a many and I had to look for Chanyeol in secret by sneaking or waiting to go to the bathroom during class hours. I even tried peeping into his classes, but his chair was always empty. 

 

He must have been really busy for tomorrow's preparations. 

 

Even when the cars came to fetch me, the first person that I was expecting to head out of the car was him, but unfortunately he wasn't there either. 

 

"Where has the Prince been? What's he into?"

 

"Oh, Your Honor, I am really sorry, but the Young Prince should not be disturbed as of the moment. He is busy for tomorrow's Engagement Rites."

 

I didn't know why I had the feeling of wanting to really see him yesterday, but even now, as I am sitting on this large bed, leaving my heart to squeeze and ache for a while, I always have this weird heavy feeling of wanting to see him badly. 

 

I just. . . Maybe feel. . .

 

Guilty. 

 

I groaned. I picked up the pillow and covered it on my face. I screamed into it, enough for not even a person could hear, but only on my own expense. I feel so confused today, I didn't nor do I even know what to do. 

 

Dear Pendant, please give me a sign. . .

 

What to do? 

 

"Kyungsoo?" I heard a light voice from the behind the door, knocked on it twice before waiting for my response. 

 

"Who is it?" I asked, lifting my head up from pressing it on the pillow. The knob twisted, the soon the door creaked open, making a small entrance for the figure to peek his head in the room.

 

"It's me. . . Jongdae." His smile, shining brightly as the sun reflecting on his face, curving up like a diamond in a rough. He walked in slowly towards the bed, my sight followed his trail, as he comfortably sat on the edge, letting his weight sink on the soft foam.

 

"You feeling alright?" He reached out his hand, resting it on my thigh as he gave it a light pat. I know I just knew this guy two days ago, but then he has this kind of welcoming feeling where even in his utter silence, you can tell from his smile that everything that you're thinking right now, can be talked about when he's around and rest assured everything that stays here between the both of you will eventually stay here. 

 

He has a very open kind of aura. 

 

Which makes me want to tell him what's bothering me right now.

 

That I am going to run away from the Engagement.

 

That I won't commit myself to Chanyeol.

 

That this is the only way to have my freedom as soon as possible. 

 

But. . . I just really can't. 

 

"Nothing, really. I am fine. Just a little bit nervous, that's all." I shrugged as I nodded. I wanted to assure him that everything will be fine for me today. 

 

Liar. 

 

When did you ever start to lie to yourself?

 

Lie about what you feel? 

 

Such a horrible liar, Kyungsoo.

 

"Aaahh ~ It's normal for someone like you. Eventually, if there were other people who were to take your place, then they'd feel the same way." Jongdae took his hand off of my thigh, letting himself lie down on the bed comfortably. I didn't mind him doing so, since probably Chanyeol has done this with him too before, and since the valet was a close friend of the Prince's, then it won't be a problem to hang aroud and treat him as one too. 

 

"Yeah, I guess you're probably right." I lowered my head, fiddling with the pendant on my hand, trying to think things through, before actually deciding what to do in this kind of situation. 

 

I actually feel like my heartbeat's getting slower by the minute, until I just die without my knowing. The feeling is heavy, and I probably should want to just stab it out of my system for me to feel any lighter. 

 

"I see that he gave you his Pendant." The valet sat up as he caught sight of me playing around with it. I smiled a little, looking at it as I tried to reminisce the day he visited my home, where he actually promised me freedom after the mock marriage. 

 

. . . Wait. He did promise me the freedom I wanted, right? 

 

But, it would take me much time to spend here in the Palace. 

 

"Augh. . . Yeah. He gave it to me when he visited my house. It was a form of a gift, I guess." I shrugged my inner thoughts off, as I placed the pendant inside the colar of my blue pajamas. I then heard Jongdae laugh, breathy, but his teeth were all out as if I said something funny. I tilted my head as I waited for him to explain.

 

"He's really that sentimental, huh?"

 

"What do you mean by that?"

 

"You know, Chanyeol isn't the type of person who wants to make others feel burdened because of the trouble he caused, or the actions he's done, so he usually gives these things to them as a sign of apology, and respect." He sat in cross-sitting position, as he took off his blazer, leaving only the plain white polo as his upper clothing. 

 

"Apology? Respect? I don't get it." I raised an eyebrow at the thought, wondering what that actually means. 

 

"You see, Chanyeol, the reason why he's always been pushed by the King to do things, is because even as a kid, he is already a failure in the eyes of the Royal Family." The valet's smile slowly faded, as he began telling me the reasons behind Chanyeol's actions, probably the things that he's been doing as I have witnessed it. 

 

A failure? 

 

Why? 

 

"Wait, I don't understand." I shook my head, trying to sink in the ideas as I moved a little closer to Jongdae to listen, since he placed an index finger on his mouth, indicating that we have had to slow our voices or someone might hear. I laid a pillow on my lap as I rested my arms above it. 

 

"He is a disgrace to the Royal Family. After he was crowned Prince, his father couldn't accept him."

 

A disgrace? 

 

How come he was considered a shame to the Palace? 

 

What is going on here?!

 

My eyes widened. I couldn't speak nor could I even ask for more, even though my curiosity was begging me to let out every single answer from Jongdae's mouth. I was left dumbfounded, the feeling got even heavier now. 

 

My mind is all in an adrenaline rush. 

 

Guilt is eating me. 

 

Why is Chanyeol a disgrace?

 

"W-What happened. . ." I faintly asked as I looked down to the palms of my hands. The capability of looking into the valet's eyes was impossible for me to do, because even my body right now isn't even reacing accordingly. 

 

I am trembling.

 

Why. . . Do I feel so worried about this? 

 

"Do you really want to know?" I can only hear a small tone of worry in Jongdae's voice, I can tell that he was in the middle of telling me and at the same time not because he was feeling kind of scared that I might be surprised.

 

I will eventually be surprised, I can't deny that fact. 

 

But the question is, the level of surprise that he will tell. 

 

And how I am actually going to react to it. 

 

"W-What is it?"

 

"Well, to be honest, I just heard these stories from the senior workers and advisers who have been working here since Chanyeol was a kid, and since I needed to know who am I gonna watch over as valet when I was young, well then I looked for sources. . ."

 

"Can you tell me what it is?" I spared him a glance, giving him an unreadable expression. I knew I had to know, and I knew that I needed to know. 

 

I don't know what's driving me, may it be my curiosity or what not, but I just had it in me that I should know why and what

 

". . . Chanyeol. . . Is not the King's real son." 

 

Wait. . . Chanyeol is an orphan? 

 

"I don't get it, how has he not been the King's son? He isn't an orphan is he?" I can feel my heart pound so hard right now. 

 

I feel nervous. Is this the reason why he's been asking me to keep his promises? 

 

"No no. . . He isn't an orphan, but to be honest, the Royals would have been glad if he was just an adopted orphan. Who he is right is still unnacceptable to the King." Jongdae furrowed his brows. I can feel that he was saddened by what he had said. Even though it was painful to hear that the Prince was like that, he couldn't lie about it. It was all true for him. 

 

"Then. . . What is he?" 

 

"He's the son of the Queen. . . From someone else." 

 

I gulped. I can feel my veins stop coursing through my body as I felt my temperature turn cold. 

 

Chanyeol, isn't the King's true son? 

 

He wasn't born by their will.

 

Oh my gosh, is this why he's always trying his best to impress the King? 

 

"W-Why? But how did that happen?" I raised my voice a little, too shocked at what I heard from Jongdae, he gestured to lower down my voice, as I kept my mouth shut instead before he could continue with the story. 

 

"I heard from one of the King's trusted advisers was that, they couldn't bear a child. The King didn't have the capability, despite the medicines prescribed by the Palace Doctor. They tried. So many times they did, but yet to no avail. . ." Jongdae sighed, he laid down on the bed again, placing his arms behind his head as he stared at the ceiling, probably trying to find the right words and the right points to tell the whole story. 

 

"And then what happened?"

 

"One of the Elders, who were scholars that had a far more better knowledge with regards to situations like these and the law, that if the King wanted to have a child badly, the Queen should serve as a concubine, and choose a man rightful to bear the Royal Couple a baby." 

 

My mouth was agape, I couldn't imagine that they would do such a thing. I can't even imagine that the King would try to risk his wife just to have a son, and at the end of the day would just throw him like trash. 

 

"But Chanyeol is still Royal by blood right?" 

 

"He is, since he was born from the Queen. But then, the King regretted his decision to give the Queen to someone else, due to his selfishness to want a baby so bad, which led to his disappointment towards the child, the reason why he couldn't accept Chanyeol." The valet rubbed his temple, probably too exhausted to even speak a word about the story, he was in fact feeling a little heavy, I can tell by the lines drawn on his forehead. 

 

So this is why he was so into trying to get his father's attention? 

 

The reason why he's doing all of this? 

 

The reason why he told me that this isn't just about choosing and someone and getting married? 

 

I don't know what to do anymore. 

 

"I see. . . " I am so out of words. I can't really describe what I feel or what I want to say about this. 

 

It's just so heavy

 

"I want to ask a favor of you, if it's okay that is." Jongdae sat up again. He mved closer to me, holding both my hands that rested on the pillow. He soothed the knuckles as he rubbed it with his thumb, trying to give me comfort. 

 

I guess he know what I feel about this. Even though I don't say it. 

 

"Please stay by his side. Even though you don't show how you feel. I want you to try and please be with him, even if it's for the mean time." He squeezed my hand tightly, I looked at him in the eye, and I can see the sincerity and his sympathy for his friend. 

 

Wait. . . mean time? 

 

"Y-You knew?" His words caught me quite off guard. I was starting to feel even more nervous. 

 

"Of course I know about how Chanyeol just announced you as his fiancé in front of a whole student body. And I know what he promised you. . . I am his friend after all, am I not?" He winked, the curve of his smile was genuine as I couldn't hold a small giggle. 

 

"Kyungsoo, if I am a friend to Chanyeol, I can always be a friend to you too. Your secrets are safe with me."

 

"I am happy that Chanyeol has someone like you. A friend that really needs the most. You never left him." I placed my other hand above his, patting it softly, trying to show him how thankful I was that he is there for Chanyeol ever since. 

 

"And you won't too right? You won't leave him too right?" His eyes cry of plead and pity, and that of a friend who is desperately in need of saving the life of another, even if these things done are not much, as long as he's done something to help Chanyeol.

 

I felt my heart crack.

 

What kind of person am I? 

 

I don't know what to do and what to say. 

 

I can't even say a yes

 

"Augh. . . ahm. . ." I looked away, giving him a small nod. I can't look him in the eye, knowing that what I'm planning to do later isn't going to be what he expects me to do. And he would probably curse the life out of me and despise me for the rest of his life.

 

I am sorry Jongdae. 

 

But I think, I can't do this for him. 

 

I am really, really sorry. 

 

I feel like I am the most horrible person in the world. 

 

But do I have any other choice? 

 

I want my freedom now. I want to get away from this. I shouldn't even be here. 

 

This isn't the life for me. 

 

"Your Honor, it's time for you to prepare, you should properly get dressed now, the media has already arrived and the visitors are at a many. We'll be heading off to the Temple shortly after." A woman's voice was heard from behind the door. 

 

"I'll be out in a while." I shouted a bit in response, small footsteps where then heard as probably the servant had already left for her chores. 

 

"You should get ready now, the Engagement Rites will begin lunchtime. The guests are already there at the Temple Grounds. It's near the Ancestor's Home, it's close to the main Palace Grounds so you won't march that long."

 

I lightly slapped the back of his back as I laughed at what he said. I knew he was just trying to lighten up the ambience after our talk, and I guess cracking a joke in the middle of it made me feel a little better. 

 

"Yeah right. I'll get on my foot then. I need to take a shower first." I stood up as I tried to stretch my whole body from all the stress and sleep I had, taking my steps towards the cabinets first to get my towel. 

 

"I'll be off too then. . . See you? Kyungsoo?" He was already at the door, holding onto the knob as he was ready to leave, stopped a little shortly to scan me over before he disappears on my sight. 

 

"Yeah. . . See you." I gave him a gentle smile, before he responded me with the most delighted face I ever saw in the morning. He nodded after, opening the door and hurriedly exited the room. 

 

Everything was back to quiet, and even the fast beating of my heart was back from the dead. I took hold of the towel that I got from the cabinets, gripping into it harder without worrying if it would tear up on my fists or not.

 

Kyungsoo. . .

 

What are you doing? 

 

What do you think. . .

 

Is the right thing to do? 

 

'Riiiiinnnnnnngggg! Riiinng!!'

 

My phone rang from the night stand. I got back from reality as I heard the tone playing over and over, rushing to sit on the side of the bed, taking hold of it to see who it was. 

 

Baekhyun. . .

 

He sent me a message. I sighed at the look of my phone before I made a sliding gesture to unlock it open, reading every word he said on the text. 

 

[From: Byun Bacon

 

Kyung, are you ready for later?

 

I will be waiting for you at the back door of the Elders' Chamber. They won't be there since they'll probably go to the Temple. Make sure you don't get spotted by any media men, even paparazzi. 

 

I'll see you in a while okay?]

 

One question though: 

 

How is the able to know the pathways of the Palace? 

 

Probably, judging from his sneaky attitude I guess he knows how to find 'sources'. 

 

I closed my phone, placing it back heavily on the night stand as I closed my eyes in hopes of finding the answers to my questions. 

 

Gosh, Kyungsoo. Make up your mind.

 

What do you want to ing do? 

 

I breathed, I was trying to calm myself from everything to get my head straight, as I stood up from the bed and proceeded into the shower. 

 

I'll need all the strength I can get for later. 

 

I just need to clear my mind of things. 

 

A nice shower would do. 

 

Sweet Pendant, help me. 

 

I need it. Badly. 

 

---

 

Chanyeol POV: 

 

I swear, shaking hands and greeting everyone here inside the Throne Room is a stress. 

 

I hope this ends soon. 

 

I was standing at the side my mother's throne, as she and father were both sitting on them, greeting on to the politicians and other Royals from across countries. I too, was doing the same, although I had to do much of the effort of shaking hands and bowing each time they came to greet and congratulate me. 

 

"You're such a fine grown man now, Chanyeol. I know you're mother and father are very proud." One of the officials said, as he shook my hand and squeezed it tightly for comfort. 

 

"Thank you so much for that, I do hope they are, most especially thank you for coming to the Engagement." I bowed plastering a forced smile on my as he nodded and proceeded to greet mother. 

 

Proud? Pshh. Father will never be proud of me. Mom will always be of full support, but Father? 

 

Like when? 

 

Never. I suppose.

 

I tried to control the temper of not walking out of the room and just run away from all of these. I just want a normal day right now, where I can just sit by my study room, reading books and doing whatever it is I want. 

 

Or even just watching Kyungsoo enjoy playing at the fountain. 

 

Augh. Not this again. I am having thoughts about him. 

 

Again. 

 

I can feel my jaw twitching a bit, trying my best not to make my smile fade as I feel so uncomfortable about the formal clothes I was wearing. It's the usual black Royal clothes with a red sash around, it was the same Prince clothes I wear every single day of my life in the Palace, but I don't feel any less happy about wearing it, in fact I feel like I want to tear it all apart in front of everyone, all into bits. 

 

Never in my entire life have I felt so annoyed in wearing this kind of clothing and in this kind of fabric. 

 

This is the first time I felt so irritated in wearing my clothes. 

 

I groaned, as I felt a sudden tug of my fabric at the sleeve, rolling my eyes to look back and see who it was. 

 

"Your Majesty, he's off to taking a shower now, he'll be ready in a little while, he just needs to get dressed." Jongdae whispered from behind, seemed kind of overly happy as the tone of his voice would suggest. I looked back at him to see the bright curve of his lips light up as if something nice has happened today. 

 

To be honest, I haven't seen him after that morning in the bed room, when he went to school by himself. I was with my parents, trying to organize and preparing for the Engagement Rites. I didn't even attend my classes. I tried to, just to see him, but then my hands were still full.

 

"Okay? Then what makes you so happy about it?" I raised an eyebrow in curiosity, as I have wondered what has gotten his spirits up for today.

 

Don't tell me Kyungsoo made cute faces and excuses again just to not get up and ask if he can skip this for another day kind of thing? 

 

"No no, Your Highness, but you see this is in fact one of the most important days in your life, and it is such a wonderful event, this is really something to be happy about." He wiggled his brows sarcastically, making me chuckle at the action. I looked back to shake the hands of some of the others who happened to pass by, and after bowing I looked back at Jongdae who was keeping watch of every corner of the Throne Room. 

 

"Really? I hope things go well for today. That's all I could ask for." 

 

"Don't worry. It won't just go well for today. The next days I do hope things will get better." His positiveness always makes my day right. One of the reasons why I always like him around, like all the motivation and the bright sides of the world are all in his head, and he can never make anyone feel down. 

 

I do hope so too. 

 

I'll see him soon. 

 

He'll keep his word. I know he will.

 

---

 

Baekhyun POV: 

 

Today is the day. 

 

The Engagement Rites.

 

I continuously stared at my phone, trying to think things through before initiating the plan later. I kept staring at the text message that he sent me today, it made my heart skip a beat, but at the same time, it wasn't a text that I was expecting to read. 

 

[From: PCY <3

 

Hey Baek, sorry for not calling you last night. I was a bit busy since I need to help for tomorrow's preparations. 

 

By the way, I hope you come tomorrow. It's gonna be a big day. I want to see you in the front seat too. 

Take care :)

 

Also, does he always like snuggling when asleep? He's adorkable.] 

 

I scoffed, as the tone of his voice repeated the message in my head over and over. 

 

He is adorkable, even as a kid that's what you have always said to him

 

I scanned the outside view from the window of the car, leaning on to the backseat as I pressed my phone between my closed lips. I couldn't get myself to think that this is even happening, like right now. 

 

I will never permit Kyungsoo to get attached to you. 

 

Even if it means losing him as someone dear to me. 

 

"Young Master, we are nearing the Palace." 

 

I scanned the outside to see the array of cherry blossom trees that I would usually see before entering the Palace. It had always reminded me of the days where my father would usually take me here as he visits the Royal Family, since he was one of the Elders, only he didn't want to live within the Palace Grounds. He was the King's most trusted Elder, adviser and friend, even up until now that Appa has long retired from his responsibility, they still keep in touch sometimes. 

 

And this is the place where I first saw the Prince.

 

And when I fell so hardly in love with him. 

 

He wasn't just any crush. He was my first love. 

 

And I was suppose to be his.

 

When someone else actually came in and ruined everything

 

I closed my eyes, as I wanted to clear my head for a moment. Trying to erase the deep jealousy I have for him until now. I wanted to remind myself that despite this harsh feeling that I have in my heart, I know deep inside he will always be someone I can count on to.

 

I still love Kyungsoo as my best friend nevertheless. 

 

But then, he should not be apart of this. 

 

He should not come meddling into his life again. No. I won't allow it.

 

I won't let him get in the way between me and the Prince. 

 

I won't let him.

 

Not anymore. 

 

Even if he is. . . my only best friend. 

 

Kyungsoo. 

 

"Proceed to the back of the Elders' Chamber, we aren't going to attend the Rites. I came here for something else." I commanded the driver as we have already entered the Palace Gates. I fiddled on my phone, texting a message to Kyungsoo before I turned it off and placed it inside my pocket. 

 

Come sooner, Kyungsoo. 

 

Please don't fail me. 

 

You don't have to remember him anymore. 

 

You don't need him. 

 

The car drove on the left, slowly trying to avoid the media that was close, since the Chamber was close to the Temple. Although the Chamber was a few meters way from the venue. Fortunately, no one was seen us pass by, and the car has successfully came to a stop at the back door. 

 

"Just wait here. I'll be the one to go out and wait." I said to my driver, giving me a nod as he looked at me at the rear view mirror. 

 

I went out afterwards, as I wore my black blazer on. I closed the door from behind me as I leaned my back onto the car. 

 

The coast is clear.

 

No one passes by here anyways. So I can just wait for him here. 

 

I looked around corners before I fixated my gaze on the door in front of me. I smiled to myself, as I was pretty sure everything will be going according to plan.

 

Just a crack on the door and we're ready to go Kyung. 

 

You'll have the freedom that you ever wanted, and you will never have to worry about this. 

 

And I'll have what has been rightfully mine. 

 

Chanyeol. 

 

---

 

Kyungsoo POV:

 

I don't know when did the room start to become hot. 

 

But the aircon is already on full blast and I am still sweating here like hell came to me

 

"Your Honor, it fits you perfectly." One of the headmaids said as the others giggled at the judgment. I looked down at them, as they were sitting down, surrouding me as they were all trying to fix the bottom part of my skirt. 

 

"Why do I always have to wear these kind of clothes, what do they even think of me?" I asked, as I slumped shoulders down, my eyes trailing up to the flower crown that I was wearing, as I tried to playfully blow it. 

 

"Your Honor, the Queen thinks it you really good in these, she'll be really delighted to see you in this hanbok." One of the maids who was at the left side of my skirt, trying to sew a few more things inside. I rolled my eyes, plainly laughed at the comment. 

 

"Okay, I think you're done." The eldest among the maids said, standing altogether from as they scanned me lovingly. 

 

I looked into the mirror, making a bored expression. I was never wrong when I guessed what clothes they let me wear. 

 

It was the same thing I wore during the lunch session I had with the Royal Family. The only difference was that the colors were green and pink, and what made it even more different was the large pink ribbon that I was wearing around my waist. The flower crown had small buds of pink roses, as I have guessed that they couldn't really get to be honest with me as I just rubbed my forehead to soothe the soon drawn lines on them.

 

"Y-Yeah. . . It looks. . . Okay." I made a somewhat distasteful look as I scanned myself in the mirror before I looked back at them and was surprised to see how happy they were to see me wear one of their hardwork. 

 

"We hope the Prince likes it." 

 

"And be delighted too." 

 

The smiled in their faces were like those of children who received a reward from getting a high grade or from winning a contest, which immediately melted my heart. 

 

Seeing them happy. It makes me happy too. 

 

When I become a doctor, I'll make sure I make people even happier, even of they are at a state of sickness. 

 

I want them to feel like there shouldn't be a day wasted without smiling. 

 

"Thank you. I really love it." Even though I know it was just a half-lie that I loved the clothes, since it never really matched my taste, and eventually a half-truth, since I loved it not because of what it looks like, but because of the hands that made this possible. 

 

I smiled happily to them as they bowed down to me in respect, I did the same thing before the started giggling again. 

 

"We should be going now, we still have to prepare for the food and the venue." The eldest said once more, letting the other girls bow, as I gave them a nod before they soon rushed out of the dressing room one by one. 

 

Now, let's go back the to real reality that you need to face.

 

What are you going to do? 

 

I sat down in front of the dresser, looking at myself in the mirror. 

 

I look so awful.

 

I slouched, slamming my hands lightly on the soft fabric of my skirt, as if I was like a kid that just threw a tantrum. I do that sometimes, when I am alone of course. I don't know why but I kind of feel like I need to do it most especially when I get so irritated at myself because I can't even make up my mind. 

 

"Kyungsoo. . . What does your heart say?" I asked myself, now making a fist and placing it on my chest, feeling the heartbeat. 

 

I gripped small strands of my hair, as I closed my eyes tighly shut, breathing heavily before I stood up from the chair and sighed defeatedly. 

 

That's it. I am tired of choosing between what weighs better for them. 

 

I am going to run away.

 

Because this is what I have always deserved. 

 

And what weighs even better. 

 

For me. 

 

I stormed out of the dressing room, reminding myself that I was at the Elders' Chamber. It was actually a wide house that had a few rooms for the Elders to stay in -- it had a few study rooms, public sauna and even a hotspring from behind the house, it was definitely a place for the old wise ones. They had their own individual rooms, with their name plates stuck on their door, and had only one dressing room where I actually noticed that the cabinets were filled with black and white hanboks. 

 

Where should I go? 

 

Left? Or right? 

 

The left wing leads to the main exit of the Chamber, where I have the decision to march myself down to the Temple and get engaged with Chanyeol, or the right wing that takes me to the Maid's Headquarters where in one opem of the door, Baekhyun is waiting for me there, to give me my price of freedom. 

 

I looked at the two directions before I silently closed the door. I leaned on it, not letting go of the knob behind me as I lifted my head, closing my eyes again. 

 

This is it. 

 

I am going right. 

 

Okay. Let's do this Kyungsoo. 

 

I stood up straight. I then turned my body to the right, at first I was feeling kind of unsure, like the usual, as my head would start spinning and get more confused by the minute. But I only had to let the confusion off my brain as I shook my head and began walking cautiously to the right wing. I silently tried to walk on the corridors and avoided tripping because of the long skirt that I had to carry in my arms as well. 

 

This is it Kyungsoo. There is no turning back. 

 

You'll be running away. 

 

"Your Honor? Where are you? Why have you left the dressing room?"

 

"Your Honor, the Rites are supposed to begin in a little while now, they are all waiting for you at the Temple, where are you?"

 

Dang, they are looking for me now.

 

And the Engagement it about to start. 

 

But no. I am not getting engaged. I am getting out of here. 

 

I am not going to turn back. 

 

I tried to sneak out of each side of the corridors, as I have slowly walked my way out of the maids and servants that were looking for me. I can still hear their loud screams from afar, as I tried to run silently, but even faster than before, making sure I go a littke farther from where they are. 

 

Bless the wide place and how it seems like a maze, they can't get me that easily. 

 

Slowly, the voice became fainter, until I coulnd't hear anything anymore. I panted for a second, leaning my arm on a wall as I tried to catch my breath. I smiled a bit, trying to tell myself that I am nearing my freedom, and all I need was to look for the Headquarters. When I felt like my breathing was even, I went back to walking and looking for the Maid's Quarters. 

 

"Where are you going?"

 

My steps were then stopped. My eyes widened as I have realized that I stopped not by choice, rather I stopped by impulse. I just stood there, staring blankly at the carpeted floor, dead silent as I heard the voice come into my head once again.

 

What? 

 

"Why are you leaving me?"

 

 

I felt my heart ache, it wasn't just like any other ache of pain or heartbroken stuff, but it was an ache that actually awakened me with something. I couldn't understand why, but my heart felt like what I was doing wasn't supposed to be what I was going to do. I dropped the skirt lifelessly on the floor, as I tried to hold on to the pendant in a tight grip that was kept inside the clothing that I was wearing. 

 

Pendant, what is this?

 

What am I doing? 

 

"Where are you going?" 

 

I. . . am going. . .

 

Have you ever had that feeling where you chose to actually leave, but then deep inside you feel something else? 

 

I feel like I was wrong. 

 

I feel like I need not to go. 

 

I don't want to go. 

 

I want to stay. 

 

"I just wish that you never leave."

 

I closed my eyes, but this time I wasn't nervous nor confused. I was calm and the while feeling high for some reason. I wasn't feeling guilty all of a sudden, and my mind and heart suddenly were just feeling fine even for a second. 

 

If this is really what my heart tells me. . . 

 

Then there's nothing I would do to stop from making it happen.

 

"He is a disgrace to the Royal Family."

 

"His father couldn't accept him."

 

The thoughts of what Jongdae told me earlier were the only things that lingered in my head. It was the only thing that got me worked up and at the same time worried if I continue to make a wreck out of this. 

 

Chanyeol is already a failure. A disgrace to his family. 

 

He is being forced to do everything because his father never liked him.

 

And he is trying his very best to beg for the attention of the King. 

 

And I am here, beginning to actually ruin everything.

 

"Please. . . stay by his side."

 

I am so sorry, Baekhyun.

 

I turned myself around. My heart just stopped a beat, and the next thing I know was that, I was already rushing back, trying to remember my trail back to the dressing room. When my mind freshened up a bit, I rushed to every direction to get back, not even withstanding to wait for the maids to see me, but rather I ran back on my own. 

 

He's waiting for me. 

 

I'm on my way. 

 

I am coming. . . 

 

Chanyeol.

 

---

 

Chanyeol POV:

 

"What's taking the Royal Fiancé so long?" 

 

I heard one of the guests whisper to one another, as I tried to keep myself calm and positive. I was still waiting, standing in front of the Temple Altar as alongside with Jongdae who was giving me worried face signals as to why Kyungsoo was taking his time too much. 

 

Please, I don't want to actually think that he just. . . 

 

No, he won't. He will never. 

 

He will never do that.

 

"Your Highness, everyone is getting impatient now, the maids haven't returned and there is no sign of Kyungsoo yet." My valet furrowed his brows, patting my shoulder for comfort. I know he feels the same way I feel right now -- worry and disappointment. 

 

I don't want my anger to get the better of me, nor do I want my sadness to do the same. 

 

Kyungsoo, where are you? 

 

Did you leave me? 

 

I lowered my head, I know I was getting paler by the minute. I couldn't even look at the Throne in the middle of the Altar. 

 

"I guess, he wasn't really that of a keeper afterall." Jongin appeared in front of me, as he was walking forward towards me. I looked in front, where the people were now walking around, standing and whispering to each other with unpleased faces. Even the media, although they were laughing due to the fact that they are going to cover another juicy, unwanted issue for their news, they still felt a little dismayed. Others were shaking their heads in disapproval, probably talking about how my fiancé was a failure.

 

Like how I am. Even now.

 

A failure. 

 

"Jongin, what do you mean?" I looked back at him, he was shrugging his shoulders, smiling softly just to probably not try to piss me off, but as my cousin he still wanted to be honest with me. 

 

"I mean like, Kyungsoo? I don't know but probably he wasn't ready for any of this. I know you might find it offending, but I have a feeling he ditched you, like probably ran away." His face wasn't the usual playful mood, it was quite sincere and serious. I know he didn't want to hurt me, but I guess he just needed to slap the reality of it on my face. 

 

So maybe, he did run away. 

 

I don't blame him though. I asked for too much. 

 

All I thought about was myself, and I didn't even try to ask how he would feel about this. 

 

I hope he's gonna be fine. 

 

I am really sorry, Kyungsoo. 

 

I looked up at the Throne to see my parents staring at me. Their faces write another lecture that I will probably get after this event will soon end as a failure. The media might probably get this as their scope of the headlines, and the Royal Family will be put to shame because of what I have done. My mother was giving me a saddened look, sighing in surrender as she lowered her head. 

 

She can't look at me in the eye. 

 

Wow. I am that of an outcast now. 

 

Father, whose eyes were burning with anger and utter disappointment, looked at me as he shooked his head, telling me that whatever I will do, it will always be wrong, and was never right, I lowered my head, I couldn't even make myself happy after what I have done. 

 

All these things, were my fault. 

 

And I really have to pay for it.

 

"Hey, cheer up, will you? Even though I am mean to you sometimes, I don't want them to get you punished as if you've murdered a whole herd of cows. Don't worry, I'll be with you after this, they'll just probably scold you, and I'll do the forgiving trick lines." Jongin gave me a wink, smirking as he was trying to lift my spirits up. I laughed a little, as I felt his hand patting onto my shoulder. 

 

"Everything will be okay. I am still your cousin, you can still count on me. Trust me." His eyes softened up, his smile was kinder. I couldn't help but smile. Even though he was mostly seen as the stronger one compared to me, I know he still had a soft spot somewhere inside him.

 

"Your Highness. . . Look!" I heard the shout of Jongdae from behind me, caught my full attention as I looked at him. His face was lighting up, like some kind of angel just came in the Temple, and even his smile, was all wide and curved up perfectly. 

 

"What is it Jongdae?" I raised and eyebrow, taking a little peek at the Throne, seeing that my mother's eyes were in a shock, and there was a pleasing smirk plastered on my father's face. 

 

"He's here!!! The Royal Fiancé is here!!!" One of the soldiers screamed, taking my sight to look at the entrance of the Temple. I seemed to have imitated what my mother had looked like a while ago as I couldn't believe what I am seeing right now. 

 

He came, he's here. 

 

Kyungsoo. . . 

 

You're here for me. 

 

He was running fast, I can see from his panting that he actually ran a long way from here, the guests were looking at him amazed, as I heard them awe at his sudden appearance. 

 

"He's here!!!"

 

"Wow, he's so pretty."

 

"I even doubt if he was a guy, he looks so white."

 

"He looks like a Princess."

 

"He truly does fit the Prince well." 

 

I laughed at some of the gossips, even as I was far from the audience, their voices were still quite audible to me. I waited for him to enter the Temple grounds and when he did, he stopped in between the large wooden doors trying to catch his breath. The media were taking photos of him, trying to get a glimpse of how he looked like as even they marveled on him.

 

Beautiful. 

 

I don't know why but. . .

 

I always found him amazing. 

 

No matter how he looked. 

 

When he regained his composure, he stood straight, making an unreadable face as he looked around, making small bows as he passed by the guests. 

 

I want to go to him. 

 

I walked down the Altar, trying ti get to the end of the Temple. The guests tried to give way for me as they moved on the side. I was smiling, teeth out and a wide grin. I couldn't contain myself, and I couldn't just stay put and stand here watching him go to me. I want to go to him.

 

"Yah, where have you been? What took you so long?" I have reached him near the last row of seats at the back, held him in my arms as I tried my best to make him stand firm. I knew he was a bit tired from running, and that his breathing was still quite uneven. We looked at each other, his eyes shine as he saw the sight of me, and his smile immediately took all the heavy feelings I felt, feeling just contented and happy.

 

You're with me at last. 

 

I see you. I have finally seen you. 

 

I miss you.

 

"Mianhe, I got lost inside the Chamber, and I forgot which way to go so I ---" I didn't make him finish his statement as I just hugged him tight and close. I didn't care of everyone was looking at us, gasping at the sudden action. I didn't care. I dug my head into the side of his shoulder, snuggling into him as I wrapped him around me even tighter. 

 

"I thought you'll never come." I said in a faint whisper. I didn't want to let go of him there and then. His warmth was just fitting for me, making me feel like I can just say and do everything that I want as long as I'm with him. 

 

"Who said I won't? I am here am I not? I promised I'll be here for you." Kyungsoo mumbled beneath my bear hug, as I can feel him smiling brightly. His arms were also wrapped around me, as he held me tight like he would never let me go. 

 

"I am glad you came." I soon broke the hug, holding him by the arm as he did the same. I smiled my most natural, goofy smile, delighted and overjoyed to see him here. 

 

"I am always honored to be here with you." His heart-shaped smile curved ever so beautifully at me, as his eyes turned into crescents. Our foreheads touched as we both laughed, no words were said as I just felt that we were happy to have been reunited despite the fact that it's has only been a day that we heven't seen each other. 

 

I guess this is what they say, you can truly know what it feels like to belong, when you don't care what people say around you, and you just want to cherish every moment with someone you truly care the most. 

 

"The Royal Engagement shall now begin." I heard my father announce to everyone, making me stop from what I am doing, looking at Kyungsoo wit a nod. 

 

"Shall we?" 

 

"Most certainly." Kyungsoo nodded, letting go of my other arm as he held onto my left. We looked at each for approval one more time before we marched our way to the Temple Altar. I looked at the people in front; Jongdae, mother and father, whose faces that were cursed into stones now looked like angel faces, pleased and happy that this is in fact happening. I couldn't find Jongin anymore, since probably he left the Temple to cater other things for tue feast later. I looked around the audience, as I the audience, seeing the spark on their faces as they were mesmerized by how Kyungsoo looked like. 

 

Although there was one thing odd about the crowd.

 

I haven't seen Baekhyun anywhere. 

 

Where could he have been?

 

I brushed off the thought when we have reached the Altar, father then stood up from his throne, smiled at the audience as he began to speak his remarks. 

 

"You are all gathered here today, to witness the union of my son, Chanyeol and his fiancé, Kyungsoo, as they embark themselves in commitment through these Rites."

 

The Temple Priest appeared, and behind him was his helper, carrying a pillow with the Engagement Rings, as my father sat back down and let the priest a few more words befre handling us the rings. 

 

"This is it." I whispered to myself, as I felt a positive feeling of anxiousness. I sighed a few times, trying to brush it off, when I felt a warm hand envelope mine.

 

"We'll be fine." Kyungsoo assured, as I took a glance of him, he was smiling facing the altar. There was a glint of calmness in him, which immediately made me feel the same way. 

 

Then I guess. . . 

 

Jongdae was right. 

 

I guess the days will be better. 

 

--- 

 

——————————————————

 

Author's Note:

 

Chapter Nine done~!!!! ^^ 

 

I am sorry if this took long. But not to worry, the next chapters will be more faster to update 'cause. . .

 

Dundundun~!!!! I passed my thesis!!! T u T I feel so accomplished after I did.

 

So know I can dedicate more of my time writting and making more stories Q u Q 

 

Anyways, new secrets revealed here ~ tell me what you guys think about it Q u Q 

 

Also thank you so much for always reading and staying tuned. It motivates me a lot. ^^ 

 

I love you all and Happy Reading ~ <3

 

*puing-puing~^^*