Chapter Thirteen:

My Royal Punishment

Kyungsoo POV:

 

He didn't come to school today.

 

Or rather he didn't want to come to school with me today.

 

I don't know what happened.

 

I can still even picture out how he just woke up, letting go of his tight hold of me, and just walked away with an expression too unreadable for me to even decipher.

 

He looked so pale.

 

And sad even. I don't know.

 

But in between those lines, I can see that he looks like he lost his appetite on something.

 

Or was it me?

 

What have I done wrong?

 

I walked blankly along the corridors. I focused my sight on the floor. I was just walking like a zombie, my head wasn't really thinking of anything, but mildly just the thought of what had happened earlier this morning before I had to get out of the bedroom.

 

"I can't come to school with you today. Just don't wait for me."

 

His words, all repeating over and over on my head. At first I thought of what had came to him this morning, and all I could ever conclude was maybe he woke up on the wrong side of the bed or he could have possibly be awake earlier before and got some bad news from Jongdae about his father again.

 

He really wasn't acting like the usual.

 

He really wasn't like Chanyeol.

 

Snap out of it Soo. How can you even say that when you don't even know him well. You might not even know what his flaws are ---

 

Or do I really?

 

I shook my head. I did it really hard, for me to actually make myself get a grip. My mind was all mess, and ever since I got engaged it always had this post-memory flashbacks that I never even remembered happening before, weird unknown voices that I couldn't identify and more so probably those unusual and unfamiliar dreams that I have no idea of.

 

They're all just there. Happening and occurring to me every single day of my life at the Palace.

 

I don't get it. Even these dreams. . .

 

They occur to me every day.

 

Even before that dream I had yesterday, I had those other dreams just like that the past few days prior.

 

Although I keep forgetting what it was.

 

It's just that, this dream got worse.

 

At first all I can hear were voices, and I was just running back and forth in a dark area.

 

The rest of the happenings were all a blur, and everytime I wake up I keep forgetting what it was.

 

And all I could ever feel was the painful pounding of my heart, and the sweating of my palms.

 

And now this.

 

This dream.

 

And this dream was too clear for me to not even forget, compared to the others.

 

Where are all these coming from anyway?

 

Damn, I am so confused.

 

I got snapped out of my deep thoughts, flinching a bit as the school bell rang loudly. Everyone around me was now rushing up and down to their respective classrooms, while I was just there, staring blankly at how these students would rush ahead of me, and would even just go and pass by me, without even moving a joint or a muscle.

 

Why do I even feel so affected?

 

So what if Chanyeol doesn't want to come to school with me?

 

What's the big deal?

 

Who are you to feel this way?

 

Who are you to have the right to get mad and throw tantrums when he doesn't want to be with you?

 

Who are you to have the right to even feel je ---

 

Feel ---

 

Urgh.

 

I sighed. Gripping on to the straps of my backpack as I tried to calm my head, giving myself some peace of mind. I closed my eyes, trying to enjoy the silence that was now around me, since I probably guessed everyone was now inside their classes.

 

"C'mon, Soo. You don't feel like that. You don't feel like that. You will not and never feel that way." I whispered to myself as I just stood still at the corridors, never even minding of there were people passing by or not.

 

"Kyungsoo, you have no feelings for him. Both of you are just friends, and you guys are just friends. That's right. Friends." I was trying to convince myself that I was just plainly out of my mind. And probably the physical skin ship had my mind fooled, just to make me feel this way, but no, I don't have those kind of feelings.

 

"I don't. . . Right?" I stared down to my neck, pulling out the pendant as I played with it.

 

Augh, these conflicting, mixed, confused, whatever it is kind of feelings.

 

Is so frustrating.

 

I just might lack the need to have his attention.

 

But isn't that the same thing?

 

No. No, it's different. This is more like pouting over a friend who doesn't have time for you.

 

Yeah. That's probably it.

 

That's just what I actually feel right now.

 

Nothing more, nothing less.

 

Why must I even have conflicting feelings towards this man?

 

Who is he to even get me to go crazy in my head right now?

 

But, it really bothers me.

 

He didn't even look happy, nor did he even greet me a good morning.

 

Or do I just lack the skin ship I use to have with Chanyeol?

 

Or am I beginning to sound too attached to the point where I can't live a day without him around?

 

Sweet heavens, what is wrong with me.

 

"You should probably get to your class now, Dongsaeng. Professors might see you around and take you to the Dean for assumed skipping of classes." I seemingly light female voice was heard, echoing a bit into the campus as I lifted my head to see who it was entering the grounds.

 

And here I am actually frozen in staring at her, eyes wide and mouth slightly agape.

 

She was walking towards me, as she was holding her pile of books and notes for her class in the morning. She stopped short when she was probably a few meters away from me, securing her stuff as she wraps her arms around them, looking at me with the most genuine smile that eventually made me a bit calm for the morning.

 

"I-I. . . Ugh. . . M-mianhe. . . I'll be g-going to m-my class now then. . ." I started stuttering as I couldn't even look at her in the eye, shifting my sight every now and then to different places. After a few seconds, I just simply turned around slowly, not wanting to look back as I started to walk like a zombie off to my class that I am already late for.

 

It's her.

 

The girl that Chanyeol didn't want to marry.

 

Lee Ho Jung.

 

Do remind me that she is the same age as Chanyeol and is his classmate.

 

"Or. . . You wanna go get some coffee at the vending while we talk at the back garden of the school?" I stopped my tracks as I heard her invite to actually have coffee. Her tone wasn't mad, nor was it even monotonous or cold, it actually sounded like she was your closest girl friend who wanted to just bond with you since you guys haven't been together for so long.

 

What is going on here?

 

"Ommo, it's o-okay Noona, I think I'll just ---"

 

"Ahnni, I insist. The guards won't be able to see us if we use the fire exits. My treat, please?" She was asking like a little girl who actually is asking some candy from her mom, as I looked back at her, seeing that she was giggling a bit, her eyes and lips were drawing a beautiful smile on her face.

 

Could I even say no to her?

 

You can do this, Kyungsoo.

 

She doesn't seem to do any harm.

 

And there without further distractions, I nodded as she smiled brightly, turning her back on me as she proceeded to walk, signaling me to follow her lead.

 

Everything goes well today.

 

Why does it have to be her?

 

I feel nervous though.

 

Maybe she is just trying to make a face to convince me.

 

Oh well, expect the unexpected, so as they say.

 

After a few trips to the vending near the exit of the gate, she bringing a cup of macchiato and I just got a cup of cold chocolate drink, we headed off to the right side of the campus and used the fire exit there. It was definitely the nearest fire exit to the back garden, and it was practically hidden off well from the guards that were watching the grounds.

 

She knows her whereabouts here in school.

 

Pfft, who am I kidding, she is a student of the University, definitely has even more experience than I do.

 

The back garden of the school was one of the widest gardens that any University ever had. It looked like a garden made for a palace; much explains the plump bushes and the trees cut into different patterns. There was a large fountain made of marble, which had the symbol of the school in the middle which was the symbol of a wolf, standing on its back feet, growling as it is the king of his pack, surrounded by three other wolves bowing to him.

 

The school is prestigious indeed.

 

The first time I ever saw the garden, I felt so privileged and overwhelmed to actually have the opportunity to be in this very University.

 

When we reached outside, and got ourselves off to the far western part of the garden where there were vintage types of benches, she immediately sat down to one of them, gesturing me to sit beside her.

 

"Have a seat here." She smiled facing up at me as she patted the empty space beside her. I slowly walked towards it as I turned around and let my comfortably sit flat on the warm seat.

 

My heart pounds like there's no tomorrow. I feel so nervous like my heart is soon going to explode.

 

There was awkward silence. TOO awkward. I looked around, trying to amuse myself with the butterflies passing by, and the flowers being blown away by the cool wind, not even touching nor sipping a single drop of chocolate from my cup.

 

"Mianhe. . ." My eyes widened as I heard the first word she spoke to me. I didn't expect her to say that, more so I was even expecting harsh words from her.

 

"Ehhh? Ommo, what for?" I turned to look at her, brows furrowed as she started giggling like a little girl. She took a sip from her cup, before placing it on her side and looked back at me with a smile.

 

"For begging Chanyeol to marry me."

 

"I don't understand, why are you apologizing to me? Shouldn't it be Chanyeol?" I got quite baffled as I heard her answer. I couldn't understand the mere reason why she was apologizing to me instead of saying that to Chanyeol.

 

If she only knew the real reason why I am in this situation.

 

"I guess, I did go too overboard. I got mad at him for no reason at all." She lowered her head, watching both her hands hold on to each other, her smile never fading off her face.

 

"But. . . You did have a reason to be mad at him. He announced our engagement without you even knowing."

 

"No. . . I already knew that he was soon going to be engaged with someone else. He already told me, but he never dropped a name. Not until that day happened and he had to pull it off in front of everyone in the campus."

 

Okay, now that really shocked me.

 

"What do you mean?" I furrowed my brows even deeper. This time I was now even focused on listening to what she was going to say, as a blunt feeling of an ache in the chest rose within me.

 

"You didn't know? He was given the freedom to choose who he wanted to marry, the reason why he chose our school. I still remember him saying a few weeks ago before that incident happened, that he was already watching over his future fiancé secretly, and was making sure that person was safe, he really secured that person. And yet here you are." She looked at me with a smile, as if pointing out the fact that the person Chanyeol was sneakily watching out for even before was me. I couldn't get myself to even feel happy about it, overwhelmed even. I just sat there beside her, and was now staring at the ground as I tried to figure out this unknown feeling of insecurity within me.

 

"Why can't you marry me instead?"

 

That line.

 

Now I remember.

 

'Instead.'

 

No wonder I heard it like she was trying to let Chanyeol change his mind or something.

 

So, Chanyeol has already chosen a fiancé even before that incident happened.

 

That means, this wasn't all planned out that day.

 

He didn't just announce it on the spot that he was going to marry me.

 

He already thought it through, chosen one, and was just waiting for a signal for him to announce it.

 

And that incident, when he was forced on to marrying Ho Jung, he had no choice but to say it to everyone.

 

But the big question here is ---

 

Was it really ME that he had chosen to be his fiancé?

 

He knew my name even when I didn't say it.

 

But no, it couldn't be possible.

 

We don't even know each other personally before. 

 

"I knew about him choosing a person to marry, but has he ever told you or described to you how he wanted his fiancé to be? I'm pretty sure he had other preferences before he chose me." I was trying to extract answers from her, probably because I was too surprised to know that Mr. Royal Elf Ears has already chosen a fiancé for himself even before.

 

Now, the other good question about this is that ---

 

Why are you so bothered by it?

 

Must be my curiosity talking.

 

Yes. Just my curiosity. Nothing else.

 

"He never told me anything about it, he never described nor even raised the topic, he just really told me that he had already chosen someone just to make me stop pestering him, and forcing him to marry me instead." She shrugged, it was just like a normal conversation to her, like she didn't even feel the slight pinch of agitation, more so she probably might have just held everything in and didn't want to feel the pain.

 

Ahhh. So she doesn't even know who it was that Chanyeol wanted to marry.

 

I don't want to get these things all in my head again, and I'll start pondering into the deepest depths of my life and ask myself where the did I get things wrong.

 

It's too impossible for Chanyeol, having such a complicated yet rational mind, to just choose a random candidate, and ask his or her hand in marriage without even knowing who the heck this person was.

 

And would just observe and check up on him from afar.

 

What is he, some kind of stalker?

 

It's not plausible.

 

Then if it isn't and if it doesn't make any sense ---

 

Then WHO???

 

"Why are you telling me all this?" I swear I couldn't stop being such a curious kid acting like he has never seen Barney or Blue before, but this topic really boggles my head and I can't just stop until I find answers.

 

"Because I realized how good of a person you are, and I guess Chanyeol really deserves someone like you." She looked at me straight in the eye, her brown orbs making me all serene and clear-minded. I felt all my worries go away as I felt her sincerity in words, and how she was being honest with me right now.

 

I hope she isn't just making a façade or something, it feels nice of to be like this.

 

"I don't know, really. I never even deserved Chanyeol in the first place, I was just a plain normal student who just wanted to get his up the pedestal and graduate with flying colors." I shook my head, trying to not get the overwhelming feeling into my system. I know it feels good to know that there are people who truly accepts and is happy that I was chosen by Chanyeol, but deep within me, I know it's nice, but contradicting at the same time.

 

"But I think you do. When I first saw you, at the corridors when he announced you as his fiancé to marry, I didn't even feel a surge of anger towards you. Yes, you saw me mad, but I wasn't mad at you. I was, to Chanyeol." She lowered her gaze as she reached for my right hand, holding it lightly as she squeezed it a bit.

 

"I looked at you, and I felt like I couldn't get mad at you, you seem to have such a warm ambience, welcoming and forgiving. Chanyeol told me about you, he did apologize about the sudden announcement though, and he would always mention you everytime we talk."

 

"You guys are okay now? And you guys have been talking already? When did you guys??" I couldn't believe what I heard, making hand gestures and raising my brow as to when and where did this even happen.

 

He talks about me to other people?

 

And he did apologize to her?

 

That's nice of him.

 

"It was a month ago when he apologized. He didn't want to have an awkward thing between us, since we still are close friends until the very end. He is like a brother to me, despite the fact that I did have feelings for him before." I can feel the pain in her words, saying that Chanyeol was now just a brother to her and not someone she could have and hold. I looked at her, seeing how well she could hide it, smiling up at the bright sky, as if there wasn't any problem at all in the first place.

 

Despite the heartache, she still manages to smile.

 

She looks really beautiful though.

 

I don't know why Chanyeol didn't pick her, but maybe there was a legit reason behind it.

 

"I am glad you guys are okay now. And I am really sorry for the sudden announcement too, and also for eavesdropping." I looked away, quite embarrassed at what I have done, as it got me to even reenact it on my head.

 

Now that I see myself as a third person view. I feel so humiliated sneaking over other people's conversations.

 

"I don't even mind. I do think there was a reason why it had to happen, besides, I don't hold grudges, and I would surely love to know more about Channie's fiancé." She playfully punched the side of my arm, as I went off laughing at her action.

 

"Please, don't say that. I really am not comfortable with people calling me his fiancé." I rubbed my palms together, feeling a little bit embarrassed and at the same time bad. I don't really deserve the title, if she only knew that me and Chanyeol barely knew each other before, and he just chose me because he had no choice but to cover up a scene, then she would understand why I don't like people calling me that.

 

"Why not? Aren't you proud? You seemed to be really happy at the Engagement Rites."

 

Really happy?

 

"You were there during the Engagement Rites?" That was actually a month prior to when they actually talked, and probably during the time of the Rites, they weren't in good terms yet.

 

"Oh, it was more like a form of duty, since my father is a Prime Minister. So, I had no choice but to attend." She shrugged, taking another sip from her cup.

 

"Ohh. I see." I nodded as I lowered my gaze to look at the half-filled cup that I have, the ice must have already melted since there was none but liquid chocolate left.

 

"You don't know what you looked like during the Rites? When you and Chanyeol faced the altar, and the priest asked you both to wear your rings, they way you look at him, and the way he does to you -- it really feels like a genuine, true and honest kind of love." She explained as she placed her cup in between her feet. It was already empty, making her lean on the backrest of the bench, looking at the pair of birds that happened to pass by.

 

The way I look at Chanyeol?

 

I never knew that's how I looked at him.

 

All I knew that day was that I was so happy to see him happy.

 

And seeing him make a something right in front of the King.

 

And I felt so overwhelmed that day, as if I made the right decision.

 

And I didn't even regret after that.

 

"You know, I have never seen Chanyeol that happy. When you came and appeared rushing through the Temple, it was as if he couldn't take his eyes off of you. That was the first time I ever saw him smile widely." I looked at her, trying to figure out if what she was even saying was legit or something. It doesn't really make pure sense to me.

 

Isn't that only lovers have that kind of special look when they stare at their partner in the eye?

 

This is unbelievable.

 

I can't possibly have eyes for Chanyeol like that.

 

Or do I?

 

No, you probably don't.

 

"Anyways, Kyungsoo, I just want you to know that if you have any problems or conflicts about things or about our crazy giant, you can always talk to me. I'm here to listen. I'll always be here for you." She held both my hands, wrapping them around her own. She smiled, gentle and beautiful since the first time I saw her.

 

"Thanks Noona." I nodded in response as I also gave her a warm smile.

 

"Just call me Ho Jung. We are going to be friends anyway. Just promise me one thing." She placed a finger on her lip, as of she was thinking of a promise that would probably be hard for me to keep.

 

"Okay, what is it?"

 

"Just promise me, you'll take good care of Chanyeol? Please don't leave his side."

 

Yeah, and I wasn't wrong.

 

This one's really hard to keep.

 

Too hard.

 

"Ommo. . . y-yeah. I will." I looked away from her, probably didn't want to look at her in the eye because she would probably look at me back with a hopeful one. I couldn't stand breaking a promise but in this kind of situation I am having, I can't just possibly tell the truth, and break that hope she's holding on to towards me.

 

"I know you will. I can see how you love him so much." She patted the back of my hand as she stood up from the bench, she stretched her arms high, breathing the fresh air deeply.

 

Why does everybody think I love him so much?

 

I never even knew that I look like that in the first place.

 

I just really care for him because he did take good care of me too.

 

But I don't love him.

 

I don't.

 

"Yeah. . ." I just watched the grass grow, my sight focusing on the ground. I have to make things clear to me and in my head. My emotions are too mixed up to even get straightened out.

 

"Have you ever seen how his eyes sparkle when he talks about you? But I guess you already do, anyways --" Ho Jung looked back at me as she placed both her arms behind her back, tilting her head cutely.

 

"Is there anything you want to say to me?"

 

"Nothing really, Noo -- I mean Ho Jung. I just really wanted to apologize for my actions before. And thank you for this." I then stood up from the bench, as we faced each other. I gave her a gentle smile as she nodded happily with my answer.

 

"Then I hope we be good friends. Close friends. I do hope." She stretched out her arm for me to shake, and as I did, she giggled and after a quick shake, she let go of my hand.

 

"I am looking forward to it." I replied before she nodded in approval, turning her back on me as she started walking.

 

"I'll be heading off then, wanna come with? I mean, you know, class just ended, and they might be transferring classrooms now." She turned to look at me again, as she gestured her thumb as to which direction she was going.

 

"You can go ahead, for now I just really need some fresh air I guess." I smiled at her, waving my hand as she did the same. She was already at a far distance and without anymore words, she turned back to where she was supposed to go and walked her way until she was just a dot in my vision.

 

I am glad she and Chanyeol are okay now.

 

But I guess Chanyeol didn't tell her the real reason why this happened.

 

I guess it's safe for just the inner circle of the Palace to know.

 

I sat back down on the bench, crouching my back as I let my elbows lean on top of my thighs. I never felt so confused in my entire existence; my head was spinning like crazy.

 

I guess I was right.

 

I don't really know Chanyeol that well.

 

I never realized how hard it is to even crack his code.

 

I never knew his eyes sparkles when he talks about me to people.

 

I mean should I be happy about this?

 

Augh.

 

I scratched the top of my head, ruffling my brushed hair into a messy one as I sighed in great worry and deep thinking.

 

What am I going to do about this?

 

What? I'll just leave myself wondering and confusing my emotions all the time?

 

I'll have to know answers soon.

 

I stood up from the bench and began walking back to the school grounds. Still aware that I still had my backpack, I held on a tight grip on the straps as I hurried myself off to the next class.

 

I'll be more happy if I see him today.

 

He's acting so weird and unnerving.

 

As I was already inside the school, the corridors were once again empty, as I have guessed that everyone has been set in their respective classrooms for the second period. I then hurriedly walked off to the locker area to get my stuff and leave my bag, when suddenly I just found myself stuck up and frozen on one spot, staring at a distance as I saw a figure moving towards my direction. I tried to blink my eyes for a few more times to know if what I was seeing was true, or if I was dreaming again.

 

You have got to be kidding me.

 

"Long time, no see." He walked up to me, and stopped short when he was a distance close. I really want to take that smile off his face as I felt a little insulted, showing himself to me like nothing happened.

 

"You. . ."

 

He folded his arms on his chest, glaring at me as if I was the guilty one between the both of us.

 

"Missed me, Kyung?"

 

"It's nice to see you again, Byun Baekhyun."

 

Well, here we go.

 

First it was Ho Jong, but it ended well anyways ---

 

And now this.

 

Get yourself together Kyungsoo.

 

Can't this day get any better?

 

---

 

Kai POV:

 

Second period begins, and as usual, I didn't have to attend this subject since it was just algebra class. The teacher actually hated me for skipping his class, although he couldn't drop me due to the fact that I still ace his quizzes and exams whenever I enter.

 

I walked around the silent corridors, peeping at each and every classroom I could pass by. I couldn't get myself to do anything since my friends attended class and they might get an F for skipping it.

 

It's really boring when you're alone.

 

I sighed, still walking around and peeping as I thought of countless ways to make my time here worthwhile. Well, expecting that I would think of homework or projects, I don't really do that. Even as an accountancy major, pressure isn't the name of my game.

 

Or in more simpler terms, I don't feel any pressure.

 

The course is difficult, of course it is, but the part where I have already learned most of the subjects at a young age, it probably makes me feel like everything is chill, no problem at all.

 

I wouldn't be called a child prodigy in the Palace if I wasn't.

 

I turned to my right, to see if there was something interesting to find in there, and to my expectations there was none.

 

The school is as boring as it always will be.

 

I guess I'll be off to the cafeteria outside the school then.

 

"It's nice to see you again, Byun Baekhyun."

 

Hm?

 

I was about to turn and walk back to where I started off, when I heard a voice from the locker area. I looked around first to see of there anyone aside from me, and when I confirmed that the coast was clear, I slowly tiptoed my way to the locker area.

 

Who might be these law breakers who wants to accompany me too?

 

As I reached the edge of a wall, I popped my head out a little, for me to see and to not get noticed at the same time, shocked as I saw the two people that seemed to be on some kind of face off for a wrestling match.

 

Well, whatta you know.

 

It's Chanyeol's baby bear, Kyungsoo.

 

And the heir to the Byun Corporations, Baekhyun.

 

What a nice view to see.

 

I smirked to myself, one because there was, at long last something interesting happening, and two, because it's another controversy that I have witnessed, most especially that these two are like peas in a pod.

 

Two of Chanyeol's favorite persons.

 

One, the childhood friend.

 

And the other his fiancé.

 

The last time I remembered, these two are the best of friends.

 

Now what do we have here?

 

"Three months is a long time, don't you think?" Baekhyun smirks, his arms folding as he tapped his fingers. Kyungsoo was steady standing, although I couldn't see the expression on his face since his back was the mire visible part on my view.

 

Yeah, Baekhyun left for three months as I have heard.

 

He just came from a business trip with his father.

 

I bent a little bit, so that he wouldn't notice. I could hold on to this position for a long period of time, since I have always been best at doing this ever since.

 

It's been a while since I have seen Baekhyun.

 

He never visits the Palace anymore, ever since Kyungsoo became the fiancé of Chanyeol.

 

More so he hasn't even attended the Engagement Rites.

 

What has happened?

 

"You never even answered my messages, mails, and then you show up here like nothing happened?" Kyungsoo retorted, making the latter chuckle darkly, slowly roaming himself around Kyungsoo's frame, examining each and every part of him, maybe even so his whole existence.

 

"Why should I even bother answering from a friend who couldn't even keep his promise?" He stopped at the shorter's left, making him look to the side for their gazes to meet.

 

Ohhh. Sounds fishy to me.

 

What promise did baby boy have to break here?

 

Interesting.

 

"Promise? Are you even listening to yourself Baekhyun? I did want to do it, but have you ever thought about the consequences? Have you ever known that --"

 

"Have I ever known about Chanyeol and his misery about his father? Of course I knew, Kyungsoo. But did you think what you did, that day? Showing up and getting engaged? Did you think that would have solved every single bit of Chanyeol's problems towards his father?!" Baekhyun raised his voice, making Kyungsoo back away a little, feeling a bit cornered as harsh words came out from his best friend's mouth. I was even shocked myself, how could he even say those words to the latter.

 

News flash Kim Jongin: may I remind you Byun Baekhyun's first love was none other than Park Chanyeol.

 

And that seems to solve the puzzle as to why he seems so hot-blooded towards his squishy fellow right here.

 

Who would've thought they'd end up in a love triangle?

 

Chanyeol is one heck of a silly Prince.

 

How has he not seen this? His decision of choosing Kyungsoo as his 'pretend-to-be' fiancé?

 

How has he not seen the trouble he caused by his actions?

 

He even caused the possibility of a breaking friendship right in front of me now.

 

What a fool.

 

I closed my eyes. Trying to not stress myself with the things my reckless cousin has done. I still care about him even a little bit, the reason why I have been to harsh to him ever since. He has never done anything right in the first place, and if there really was it would always end up in a wreck.

 

Sometimes I wonder why the heck should I even care.

 

But I have to since he is my responsibility still.

 

And I am duly tasked to watch over him all the ing time.

 

Like even when he washes his from taking a , I should really not lose sight of him.

 

"At least for once. Just once, in that exact day, Baekhyun. I made them think Chanyeol made the right thing. At least once. And I didn't run away to just to save his skin from his father. Just this once." Their stares were intense, as Kyungsoo’s face was now a few inches away from Baekhyun. They never moved a muscle nor even bothered to change direction, they just simply stared at each other as if they were having a staring contest of who gets up in the black hole first.

 

Talk about Mean Girls. It's just a thought.

 

Man, Chanyeol. What have you done?

 

"You think you're being such a hero now, huh? Now let me tell you one thing, Do Kyungsoo. I was very disappointed in you. You never even realized the effort I took to wait for you, and even wanted to help you out of this mess and this is what you are going to repay me?" The beagles raised his head, showing off how superior he was compared to the other. But then, his best friend wouldn't give up either, he scoffed at Baekhyun's remarks, lowering his head for a while before looking back up.

 

"Effort? How so? You never even understood my side of this situation, the reason why I chose to give in. And then you tell me about your effort? Your effort was just to get me lost and never get into this issue anymore without even knowing what will happen to Chanyeol." Kyungsoo was this close to gritting his teeth, probably he was now stabbing Baekhyun a few more times in a million on his head.

 

"Oh? Now you're concerned about Chanyeol's well-being? What have you been eating this morning? Has Chanyeol given you some tender, loving, care now?" Bickering, and they wouldn't even stop. I rolled my eyes, checking the time on my clock, as I was still bending a bit and was still listening to what they were talking about.

 

"Why are you such a salty punch in the face?! I thought we were best friends and you couldn't even trust me on this?!" Kyungsoo's voice was this close to a higher Do. He was already making abrupt hand gestures, his eyes never leaving Baekhyun's.

 

I don't really get Baekhyun though.

 

Why be a sour puss? I mean if he trusts his best friend enough, and if he knows him so much like even the color of his underwear that he would definitely figure out ---

 

Then why does it look like a possessive boyfriend that can't even trust his pet to watch over Chanyeol?

 

Fishy.

 

"We were best friends. Past tense." Baekhyun emphasized, making a quotation mark action, like slapping the reality of it on Kyungsoo's face.

 

Which actually made Kyungsoo wide-eyes, as I could see from his side view.

 

"I can't believe this. Just because I got engaged to a person you have loved for so long? You're calling off our friendship? Just like that?" Kyungsoo looked so devastated, shocked even at the same time. He scoffed again, and this time it sounded quite offending.

 

"You wouldn't understand even the tiniest bit of the things I feel inside, Kyung. You are such a selfish person. You only think of yourself, and you never even thought about what I would feel or ---"

 

"Even thought what you would feel? Selfish? Have you even thought what Chanyeol will feel if I turned him down that day? Have you even tried to put yourself in my shoes? I was in the middle of a very tight situation Baek, and your childish jealousy was making it hard for me to choose from who's skin was so save."

 

So initially, they already planned to take Kyungsoo away from this and he was supposed to run away during the Engagement.

 

The reason why he came in rushing late that day.

 

But he didn't think twice.

 

And he returned to Chanyeol's arms.

 

"I thought you would understand that my love for Chanyeol isn't just an imagination, and I thought you would understand how this would make me feel when I see you get engaged with the man I have always loved."

 

"And I thought you would understand how hard it was for me to choose to turn down your offer and risk my freedom for that one Prince that has never done wrong, but is a failure to everyone's eyes. You never even thought how bad I felt when I didn't show up to you. . ." Kyungsoo lowered his head, his eyes were starting to water as he made small fists on his hands once in a while.

 

He's not being heroic. He's just doing Chanyeol a favor.

 

He couldn't say no to a Prince who will never be considered a son to his father.

 

An outcast in short.

 

Which is why it's easy to manipulate him and make plans for myself in the future.

 

But that will have to wait.

 

"Tsk. Feel bad. Right, Kyung. If you felt bad about me being hurt, you should've called off the Engagement after the event took place." Baekhyun laughed like it was the most amusing thing he had ever seen. Poor Kyungsoo though, this guy's giving him such a harsh pain in the neck.

 

"Why do you always want to push your way? And why don't you have trust in me? And why does it seem like you have something with Chanyeol that I never knew? Who is he to you? Why so affected? Huh?" Baekhyun was practically caught off guard by the questions being thrown at him, as he moved a step backward and looked around the ground in different directions, just to not meet the latter's gaze.

 

Is he lying to him?

 

What?

 

Wait a minute.

 

Baekhyun hides secrets from his best friend?!

 

Call it a traitor for some reason.

 

Kyungsoo never knew this guy is the closest friend Chanyeol ever had.

 

Wow. The best friendship yet.

 

"You know that I have always loved Chanyeol even from afar. And theses feelings are true and existent. You already know how I had feelings for him even as a kid who became his fan. . ." His gaze wasn't off the ground, until he glanced at Kyungsoo, as he began to turn his back on him and walked slowly walked away from the scene.

 

Fan?

 

Talk about a major liar.

 

Byun Baekhyun, I never knew you could be as plastic as a fake flower vase.

 

". . . And I always trusted you. Always. But what I can never trust is the heart and the mind you have, Kyung. You know what I mean. And I hope you realize your actions have spoke too loud than your precious words." He gave Kyungsoo one last look, his head looking back at the person behind him, before he went on his way without any hesitations.

 

Kyungsoo didn't even batge on stopping his best friend from walking away, as he just witnessed the latter go from a human figure to just a dot in the picture until he was no more. When a close of a door was heard, probably Baekhyun had used a fire exit, judging by the fact that he went on to right side of the school grounds, Kyungsoo found himself weak and defenseless. He leaned his body on the lockers, couldn't see his face anymore since he was looking on the other side.

 

What a downfall indeed.

 

I should probably keep an eye on these two from now on.

 

I might use them for Chanyeol's as well.

 

Sweet revenge is sweet.

 

I got up from bending for so long, feeling the ache of my back. I stretched it out a little bit, and went off on my original path back to my classroom, without even sparing a glance to sneak up at Kyungsoo, who was actually muffling sobs from afar, hearing his hitched breath echoing around the corridors.

 

I've had enough drama for today.

 

I should probably try and befriend Kyungsoo.

 

He can be a good instrument for what I'm going to do.

 

I walked up my way back to the classroom, timing the bell rang as I stopped for a little while, and gave myself a longing sigh.

 

I should probably think about the next class for a while.

 

Kyungsoo will be of thought later.

 

---

 

Kyungsoo POV:

 

"Okay class!!! See you guys again tomorrow and deadline for your anatomy term paper will be tomorrow." The teacher spoke up as the last ring of the bell for the day rang in echo. I was just sitting there, staring blankly at the window, leaning my hand on the palm of my hand.

 

Everyone was picking up their stuff and hurriedly went out of the classroom, noisy and was a mess. A few more minutes, the room was now empty, the teacher being the last to head out.

 

"Do Kyungsoo? Aren't you going to head your way home?" I heard him say, as I looked up at him, giving me a confused look.

 

"Ehto. . . I'll be out in a while. I'm just going to wait for my fiancé, Junmyeon-nim." I bluntly said, my eyes not even focused on anything as I probably was just looking at the side of his glasses.

 

"Oh right. You are the Prince's Chosen One. He probably gives you a hard time waiting for him like this, eh?" He was picking up the class record on his table before he exited the room without any more remarks and wasn't even expecting an answer from me after that.

 

Even without waiting. Even without doing this .

 

He already is giving me such a hard time.

 

I am supposed to leave and go back to the Palace as I wanted to right now.

 

But I chose to stay and wait for him.

 

Because it boggles me for the whole ing day ---

 

He hasn't showed up to me.

 

Didn't even eat lunch with me either.

 

Oh gosh, Soo.

 

I clutched my face on both of palms. Trying to at least give myself a light of heart from the heaviness that it was feeling. I couldn't find anyone I could hold on to. I really want to scream so hard right now.

 

Baekhyun won't be here for me anymore.

 

That was the last of it.

 

I never knew he could be that selfish, still pushing his love over the friendship and the understanding I needed him to have when I needed it the most. 

 

He never understood how hard it was for me to decide and to stay by Chanyeol's side.

 

A few more hours past. No one came for me. I found myself walking around the campus, alone and hurting.

 

He would usually look for me around this time, how have I not been home yet.

 

Home.

 

I miss Umma and Appa so badly.

 

Chanyeol why aren't looking for me?

 

Where are you when I needed you?

 

I sat on the stairway of down to the ground floor of the classroom. I was all blank. My heart, my mind, even the depths of my soul, were all pitch blank. I can see the light of the moon rise from the window beside me, staring at the ground, hoping to find answers to everything that I was into right now.

 

I hugged my knees tightly, lying my head down on it, feeling my heart ache even more. I didn't want to know the answer as to why my heart was aching so much for Chanyeol right now, I didn't mind it anymore. My eyes were flooding, every tear dropping onto the fabric of my blazer, I didn't care anymore.

 

Because all I wanted to do right now is to cry. Cry everything out until there's no more.

 

I don't care if the drivers or the bodyguards look for me until the ends of eternity.

 

I'll stay right here and wait. Or probably just rot in hell for all I care now.

 

I just want to disappear.

 

What have I gone into?

 

I can't do this alone.

 

Even though how many times I would say I could.

 

I lost a best friend. And even now the only person I could ever trust right now.

 

Isn't even here for me.

 

If the world hates me so much ---

 

Why can't you kill me instead?

 

"Who's gonna kill you?"

 

His deep voice. His breath. I heard.

 

Chanyeol.

 

I raised my head up, looking at him, his uniform disheveled, buttons unhooked and at the wrong places, and his hair was a mixture of sweat and an air of mess.

 

He was panting, staring at me as if he had seen a ghost from somewhere, his eyes drawing a message of worry and confusion.

 

"Where have you been? I've been looking all over for you. I just had to attend detention for the number of absents I had to make up because of Palace work, and when I got down to the guards they told me you haven't showed up." He was trying to catch his breath, probably tired from running around and about the campus looking for a certain Do Kyungsoo.

 

He was looking for me after all.

 

But why do I still find myself hurting.

 

"I thought you were still sitting at your classroom, and when I found that you weren't there, I got too worried." I was just staring at him, lifeless and unmoved. I slowly stood up from my where I was sitting, walking slowly like the undead. He was still explaining a few words, but then silence was once embraced when I stood in front of him, inches close looking at the untied tie that was hanging around his neck.

 

"Why are you such an idiot?" My words were faint, hoarse like a whisper, as I felt his breath above the scalp of my head. I held on to his blazer, gripping it tightly as I covered my face onto his chest.

 

"What are you talking about? Are you okay, Soo?" I felt his hands on each side of my arms, securing me, and making sure I wouldn't run away. Well I have wanted to just walk away from him, but seeing him makes me feel like everything's going to be fine.

 

"Why is it so difficult for me? Why is it so hard? Why are you doing this to me?" My voice was now breaking, my shoulders shaking as I felt my barriers fall for a moment. I wanted to stop hiding every emotion that was overpowering me, and I couldn't get myself to succumb everything in anymore.

 

Why is it so difficult?

 

When I see you.

 

When I feel you.

 

When I need you.

 

It seems like there's an invisible tie between us that has already been around our hearts for so long.

 

Like we've always been destined for each other the first time we've set eyes for each other.

 

But is it us? Or is it just me?

 

Feeling these things and you never even had a clue.

 

"Why is everything so hard for me to handle? What have I done wrong?" I was muffling, sobs only heard on the four corners of the staircase, as I let myself cry my heart out. I tugged my face even closer to his chest, covering my face and let my tears flow on his clothing, as I felt his arms wrap around my waist, pulling me even closer to him.

 

What kind of man are you?

 

Making me feel like this all the time?

 

My heart pounding and my head aching with your thoughts, voice and words.

 

Why can you make me so defenseless? And just make me lie on your arms with nothing to fear?

 

"Soo. . . Nothing's wrong with you. You're gonna be fine, okay? I promised." I felt the contact of his lips on my head, his breath warm and comforting.

 

"I. . . I want you here. Please stay. Please don't leave. I can't do anything without you." I was not saying by words in a watchful ear, but rather I was already voicing out the littlest of my thoughts inside my head.

 

"Kyungsoo. . ." His deep raspy voice, I couldn't understand why, but it was an annoying wave of sound in my ears before, but now it's just a soothing, pleasing song to the ears, that I would want to hear over and over again, may it be the same words or the same phrases.

 

I felt his large hand cup the side of my cheek, making me lift my head to meet his gaze. His eyes were sparkling under the moon's light, making him look even more handsome in his messy look.

 

I really love how he manages to look normal when he faces me.

 

How he wants me to see him as just him.

 

And not the Prince Chanyeol I knew before.

 

"I promised remember? I'll never leave you. . . I'll always be here when you need me." He closed the distance between our faces, as I had to close my eyes by impulse, the warm feeling of his lips on my eyelids. He kissed the right eye, and then the left, wiping the tears away from my cheeks as his kiss went down to the tip of my nose.

 

"I don't want to see you crying like this. . ." His voice was deep, soft and solemn, like a storyteller putting a kid to a dreamy slumber. Our faces were inches away from each other, his breath like a humid wind during a hot summer day, feeling the air near the upper of my lip.

 

A few more seconds and our lips attached like a magnet that found its opposite pair. No words said, and nothing else was heard between us. It was more like we felt like we wanted to, and this moment was the right time and the right place to share even just this small thing.

 

I couldn't say much anymore.

 

I just want to be where I want to be right now.

 

Let my heart ache the pain, but let it bleed for the love of this moment at hand.

 

It was an innocent one at first, until I felt him tilt his head at angle, making a move. His lips were soft, and the more I kissed him, the more I felt how heartwarming it was on mine. I just closed my eyes and replied to the kiss, making it more sloppy and passionate at the same time. I felt his arms lift me a little bit more, making me go tiptoe as I extended my arms and placed it around Chanyeol's neck.

 

His kiss. Wasn't just because it's just a kiss.

 

I can feel like this is more than what it is.

 

Right now I just want to feel more of him.

 

His lips, his skin, the taste of sweet poison hovering every bud of my tongue.

 

I just want Chanyeol for tonight.

 

Just Chanyeol.

 

The pain, the ache or even the tears.

 

I'll give it all away to have him for this night.

 

Even though I couldn't have him for myself.

 

I'll just cherish this night while I still can.

 

---

 

——————————————————

 

Author's Note:

 

Chapter Thirteen done ~!!!

 

Sorry for the 1000000000x T o T

//gross sobs

 

This has been the most late update I ever had.

 

I am really sorry for this, but I have just been facing a few of my depression episodes fpr the past few weeks, the reason why I couldn't really finish this chapter.

 

But since now I have had a little inspiration to do so, so I expressed my depression through this chapter.

 

But for now I am quite fine like the usual ^^

 

Kyungsoo's depressed too, although befriending Ho Jung was a good sign of a new page in his life, Baekhyun was now the end of another chapter.

 

I wanted to like put this chapter as an outlet for my depression too. I know losing a friend that has been so important to you is hurtful and hard. Well, but life has to move on right? And maybe it's just that this person wasn't really the right person to stay and to call her a 'best friend'. ^^""

 

We still get to meet other people better, and that would help you grow and will fill in the lacking pieces within you.

 

Only a few can find you beautiful, and like Ho Jung, even as they just have spoke to each other the first time, she found beauty within Kyungsoo.

 

And I hope soon I find that person too. ^^ <3

 

Anyways, //forget the drama lol// I hope you'll enjoy this chapter guys. I don't hate Baekhyun, it's just that his role here in the story right now quite relates to my current situation. XD

 

I love him as much as I love the EXO members. <3

 

I hope you all enjoy and Happy Reading ~!!!

 

Thank you for always supporting. <3

 

*puing-puing~ ^^*