Isn't there anyone else?

when a nerd becomes a queenka ;;—「choose your own path!」

 

“Isn’t there… anyone else?” I quickly asked. I never talked to Onew before, although he seemed like a pretty nice guy. However, I noticed that Eunmi never mentioned Onew before. It was like she was avoiding him or something.

 

“Eunmi. Onew is at the top of your grade, and his grades are amazing. He will certainly prove beneficial to you,” She pushed her glasses or her nose. I mentally punched myself. What was I getting into?

 

“Besides, your math grades are really slipping this year,” She continued, roving her eyes over my face. “I expect you to do better.”

 

I could tell by the tone of her voice that she wasn’t going to take no as an answer. I sighed, and quietly nodded. Her lips tugged into a strained smile, and she quickly gave me a paper.

 

“Here is a study guide; I recommend you look it over with Onew. Oh, and I shall talk to Onew about this for you, alright?”

 

“Yes...” My voice trailed off as I took a quick scan at the study guide. These problems were pretty easy- I probably mastered all of them in the beginning of the year.

 

“Thank you,” I bowed and left the classroom, rubbing my temples.

 


 

The final bell rang. I jolted and jumped out of my seat, eager to leave home and become myself again. Suddenly, I saw a grim looking Onew trudge out of the math teacher’s classroom. He saw me, and locked eye contact with me. However, a cold air seemed to surround him.

 

Odd.

 

He usually seemed to sunny…

 

“Park Eunmi,” He quietly walked over to where I was. However, I saw a glint of anger, coldness, and oddly enough, sadness in his eye. What did Eunmi ever do to Onew?

 

“Yes, Onew-ssi?” I answered politely, smiling. He seemed taken aback at my smiling face, and his expression hardened.

 

“Your tutoring begins today,” He started to shuffle away. “Meet me in the library right now.”

 

“Right…” I trailed after him, occasionally peeking up to see his cold expression.

 

I would definitely have to ask Eunmi about this.

 

Soon, we were welcomed by a towering wooden door. He swung the door open, to reveal the majestic library, a place that I spent most of my time in. I inhaled, the musky scent of books and sunlight filling my nostrils.

 

“Here,” He walked over to an empty oak table. I followed him, and was about to sit next to him- until he placed his backpack on the chair. He shot me a glare, and I quickly walked to the chair facing him.

 

I guess he didn’t want to be too close to Eunmi. But I wondered why. Eunmi was pretty, and much better looking than me.

 

But why did Onew not like her?

 

I sat quietly, the rustling noises of papers filling the gap of silence.  A feeling of gloominess hung over us, dimming my spirits. Onew tapped his pencil on the table impatiently, inspecting a dent in the table.

 

This silence couldn’t go on forever, could it?

 

I cleared my throat, and gained his attention.

 

 

“Hi, I’m Eunmi!”

 

“This is the study guide the teacher gave me.”

 

“Do you have something against me?”