Noona?

Dazzling Dreams

“Hey Joon, why do they keep calling me Noona? I know it’s a term for older sister but all of them been calling me that, I am pretty sure I am not older than Jin, Suga and Jhope though?” I asked Rapmon another day. “What year were you born in?” He asked. “1995.” “Oh so you are one year younger than me, you should call me oppa.” He winked. “Yeah like I will. That is just awkward, Kim Nam Joon ssi.” I emphasised on the formal tone. “So who is actually younger than me in the group?” “Just Jungkook.” “What?!”

I have decided that in no way or situation that they are going to continue calling me noona when one of them is three years older than me. That is just wrong. Also, that made me feel older than I am.

“Jin ssi, you know you are older than me right?” I asked him one day when I was putting some lip balm on him. It was rare for me to be working with him as other makeup artists often work with him because it only involved quick touches. “Oh?” He raised both of his eyebrows up. “I am actually three years younger than you, Jin ssi.” I explained. “Then shouldn’t you call me oppa? Stop calling me Jin ssi.” He said, looking into my eyes. This must the first time that we ever made proper eye contact. His eyes looked oddly familiar. “Oh!” He burst out. “OH!” I beamed. “You are the one in the bread shop wearing a pink cap right?” I asked. “Yes, you are the girl laughing at me!” He commented. “It took us long enough to recognise each other.” I laughed. “That’s the same sound that you made when you looked at my tray of food,” he added. “Yes so just call me by my name, stop using noona, alright?”

J-hope cracked up laughing as he held onto his stomach when I told him he was one year older than me. “Daebak, Suga hyung, do you know she’s younger than us? We just kept calling her noona even though we didn’t even ask her for her age.” He slapped Suga on his arm as he announced. “Really?” Suga said with a blank look on his face, dazed from his nap. “How old are you noona?” Jimin chimed in. “As old as you!” I exclaimed. “V and Jimin, we should be friends since we are born on the same year!” I told them as I took each of their hand and shook it. Jungkook was looking at me with his big round eyes, “For real?” he asked in English. “For real,” I said in Korean. “Waaaaaaaaaaaa, I can call you Ri Ri then!” V cheered. “Ri ri? Yeah, anything but that, you better stop calling me noona,” I warned both V and Jimin. “Jungkook ah, only you have to continue calling me noona, got it?” I said. He nodded obediently with a smile.

From then on, V and Jimin started to call me Ri Ri instead of noona; Jin, Jhope and Suga called me Ri An as they cannot pronounce Rhiannon properly; Joon is the only one who calls me by my real name and Jungkook calling me noona.