Chapter 2

In Between

 

The Crime Fighter

She stares at the handsome chap lying on the couch, wondering who he is. He has smooth hair, great complexion, thick eyebrows, sharp nose, and mesmerizing lips. His features are so well-defined.

She POV: What an attractive guy.

Just then, he fidgeted. He soon regains consciousness and the first thing he did was scream.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Aaron opens his eyes and came face to face with a women. He screamed in surprise.

She too, screamed in surprise.

Aaron sat up straight: *panting* who are you?

She soon regain her footage and stuck her hand out: I’m Gui Gui. Crime investigator. *shows him her badge*

Aaron returns the handshake: I’m Aaron, intern of…

Before Aaron could complete his sentence, Gui Gui exclaimed: So you are the new guy! Heard that you are a genius. *smiles*

Aaron blushes, again: They are flattering me.

Gui Gui POV: Bonus points when he blush! So cute...

Aaron: So, anyway, are you in-charge of this case?

Gui Gui: In charge? *scratches her head and smiles* I’m not that good. I’m just a team member. But I am a diehard crime fighter! *excited*

Aaron POV: Okay…this girl sure has sugar rush. She is so hyper…yet cute.

Gui Gui: So Aaron, do you have clues about this case?

Aaron: I……

Aaron hesitated. He does not know how to tell Gui Gui about what he knows regarding the case without revealing his secret to her.

Aaron: Let’s wait for George to return, shall we?

Gui Gui: Sure! He must be off to the cafeteria for some breakfast right?

Aaron: Yea…

----------------------------------------------------------
An hour later

George, Gui Gui and Aaron were sitting in the small meeting room in the mortuary, discussing the case.
George: It seems like Aaron is right. The victim is drugged, that’s why the murderer had a chance to act.

Gui Gui: That means…everyone at the pub that night is suspicious, I mean every guy.

Aaron mutters to himself: It must be Calvin…

Gui Gui: What? Who’s Calvin?

Aaron sat up straight: What? Who’s that?

Gui Gui: Shouldn’t I be asking you that?

Aaron: Anyway, it’s almost lunch, the new guy’s treat. *smiles*

Gui Gui: But we just had breakfast!

George: Well, I’m fine with the lunch idea. *smiles*

Aaron: Then let’s go!

With that, Aaron left the room hurriedly.

Gui Gui: Weird guy…
-----------------------------------------------------------

On the same day, Evening

Gui Gui decided to explore the pub herself and find out more about what happened to Angela yesterday.

The pub was not crowded, in fact, there were only 2 customers around.

Gui Gui sighs: I bet I can’t find any clues tonight.

Bartender: Hey lady, anything for you?

Gui Gui: Well, in fact not. *Flashes him her police badge* I’m here to investigate the crime that occurred yesterday.

Bartender: Ahh…that. I was here all along, doing my shift. I don’t know much.

Gui Gui persisted: Well, you must have at least seen the girl right?

Bartender: I’m telling you one last time, I haven seen anything got to do with the crime ok? So don’t bother me anymore. *snaps*

‘Are you sure you hadn’t seen that girl pushing the guy, right in front of the bar? As you had mentioned, you were here all along’ someone spoke.

Gui Gui turn and was delighted to see Aaron. She can’t explain this sudden euphoria. Perhaps she just needed someone to retort the bartender.

Gui Gui: Aaron!

Bartender: What…how did you know?

Aaron: You are supposed to tell us what happened yesterday.

Bartender: All right, I give up. That lady and that guy were intimate, they were drinking and well, they seems like they were going to a motel somewhere. It happens all the time. But then that lady suddenly pushes him away and they started a fight.

Aaron: Define fight.

Bartender: Well, not exactly pulling punches but they were arguing. The people who were present saw that guy scolding her and if you ask me, I think that guy could be the murderer.

Aaron: All right. Anything you wanna tell me? You better do, before I find out that you are hiding something from us.

Bartender shrugs: Nothing of that sort.

Gui Gui: Hmm, how about your name?

Bartender: Mike.

Gui Gui: 2 beers, Mike.

Mike: Right away.

Gui Gui: *whispers* You sounded like a cop!

Aaron: Well, I had to act like one. You shouldn’t come here yourself.

Gui Gui: But I’m a crime fighter. I have to investigate.
Aaron: Well, at least ask me along. It’s dangerous, on your own.

Gui Gui smiles sheepishly: Thanks…

Gui Gui POV: He’s so thoughtful…

Just then, a thought strike Gui Gui.

Gui Gui: How did you know that the victim was arguing with some guy?

Aaron: I….it was stated in the documents.

Gui Gui looks at him suspiciously: Really?

Aaron: Yea…Of course…

Just when Gui Gui was going to ask more questions, Mike came.

Mike: Beer for two!

Gui Gui: Thanks!

She shoves one beer to Aaron: My treat. Thanks for coming.
Aaron held on to the beer: Thanks, but I don’t drink.
Aaron heaved a sigh of relief. Aaron POV: Luckily she didn’t prompt further. If not, I don’t know what I should say!

Gui Gui: Well, you should try it. *Took one gulp*

Aaron: Huh?

Gui Gui: The beer!

Aaron: Oh…later.

Gui Gui POV: Aaron’s kind of weird. Do all cute guys behave like that? But my instinct tells me he’s hiding something…

Aaron looks around the pub. There were only 2 customers around. Deserted. He couldn’t find any guy that fits the description of Calvin. He saw Angela before he came and what she had described to Aaron was that Calvin is a tall, lean guy, with a nice sunshine boy smile.

Aaron POV: Perhaps he’s not here tonight.

Gui Gui: What are you looking at?

Aaron: Nothing.

Just then, a group of people came in and soon caught Aaron’s attention.

Aaron spotted one tall guy, putting his arm around a lady, stepping in, looking smug.

Gui Gui: I gotta go to the restroom. I’m feeling weird.
Aaron mutters: Ok, I shall wait for you here.

He wasn’t paying much attention to Gui Gui. Calvin is too important to lost sight.

Aaron wants to talk to Calvin alone, but he knew it would be impossible, with his friends around. He walks in the direction where Calvin and his friends were. Aaron stood nearby, holding his beer while listening to their conversation.

Aaron POV: How am I supposed to get to talk to him when I don’t even have a police badge? I should wait for Gui Gui…
While waiting, Aaron heard their interesting conversation and something caught his attention.

One of Calvin’s friends : Hey Calvin, that girl you met yesterday, she died. Did you know about this?
Calvin: That ? Heard about that. She’s such a . If she had gone home with me, she wouldn’t have met some other psychopathic and died.

His friend: So are you guilty now?

Calvin: She just isn’t lucky to have me. *smirks*

Aaron was furious, when Calvin scolded Angela. How could a guy be such a jerk?

Aaron sighed and thought about what they say.

Aaron POV: If Calvin is not lying, the murderer must be someone else.

Aaron took a sip of his beer and thought thoroughly. Suddenly, he felt something cold beside him.

Aaron: Angela! *whispers*

Angela: Hi Aaron.

Aaron: I never thought you would come…

Angela: Yea, by right, this should be the last place I want to be at. But I wanna help you to crack the case. I don’t want any more girls to be the victims.

Aaron: *whispers* But I had just heard Calvin chatting with his friends. Perhaps he’s not the murderer.

Angela: Then…who will be…

Aaron: Don’t worry; the police will nab the culprit soon. Speaking of police…where is Gui Gui?

Angela: Who’s that?

Aaron: Angela, could you go to the ladies to check if my colleague is inside?

--Moments later—

Angela: Aaron, there’s no one inside. But I saw something lying on the floor.

Angela led Aaron to the washroom and the object that Angela saw was a badge. Gui Gui’s badge.

Aaron’s heart skipped a beat.

Aaron: Gui Gui’s badge?! She must have met some mishap! I need to find her.

Just as Aaron was about to move, he felt a moment of weak impulse sending to his muscles. He felt giddy and weak.
Angela: Aaron! What’s wrong?

Aaron: I…I don’t know…

Aaron POV: What is happening to me? It seems like some drug effect…

Aaron mutters: Drug….drug effect… The beer…Mike! It …must be him!

Aaron turned to look in the direction of the bar and Mike was nowhere to be found. This further confirms his suspicion but at the same time, worried him. Gui Gui could be in danger right now.

Angela: What are you muttering about?

Aaron: Quick, we have to get to the back alley. They must be there!

Aaron and Angela hurried to the back door, with Angela leading the way. She couldn’t hold Aaron. All she could do is to lead the way.

Soon, with much effort, they reached the back alley. It was quiet and uneventful but somehow, Aaron knows Gui Gui and Mike are there.

Aaron shouted: Gui Gui! Gui Gui! Where are you?
---------------------------------------------------------