Chapter 5

In Between

 

Naïve and Pitiful

Aaron was stunned by the sight.

Aaron POV: They….they are….

The spirits spoke together: We are twins. *smiles sweetly*

One of them spoke: I’m Miko.

Another continued: I’m Yumi.

Miko and Yumi: We are By-2! Cool right? *Smiles*

Aaron had never seen spirits that hyper before. They remind him of Gui Gui, which makes him feel guilty because he had just left her alone at the restaurant, for these two hyper spirits.

Aaron: I….You guys look so alike.

Miko: And you look so cute too. *winks*

Yumi: Well, but Danson is way cuter!

Miko: I know. Yea, he’s so into me!

Yumi: Who says? He likes me more than you!

Miko: No! He likes me better! We kissed!

Yumi: You kissed him! Not the other way round!

Aaron was amazed at the sudden change in mood- from cute and happy to angry and agitated.

Aaron POV: I have to stop them. Angry spirits = Bad news.

Aaron: Er…Who’s Danson?

Yumi and Miko ignored him and continued to argue on the meaningless point of who Danson likes better.

Aaron: *Shouts* who is Danson? Can someone please enlighten me?! *Sarcastic*

Yumi: All right. Danson was my boyfriend.

Miko: No he’s not! He’s mine!

Aaron: Main point please!

Yumi: All right. Danson’s our classmate and he is so hot! *Excited*

Aaron: Ok… a summary then. The two of you are twins and are in love with Danson together. Right?

Yumi and Miko nodded vigorously.

Aaron: But…what do you guys want from me? I don’t even know Danson!

Yumi says slowly: As you know, you speak to us…the spirits.

Aaron: When did you guys…become spirits?

Aaron felt reluctant to mention the word ‘died’. Some spirits are sensitive to this word.

Miko: Last year.

Aaron: *shock* Last year?! But...why are you guys still here? I mean…didn’t you guys see ‘the light’ or something and walk towards heaven?

Aaron sighs. Aaron POV: How exactly does the spirit ‘system’ works? Why are they still wandering among humans? Shouldn’t they have left for where they should go?

Yumi: It’s a long story…
----------------------------------------------------------
At Aaron’s apartment

Aaron sighs: I can’t believe it…

Yumi was right- the story is long and amazingly unbelievable. Aaron pities them for their fate but at the same time, he is angry at how naïve they are.

Yumi and Miko were classmates with Danson in high school. The both of them fell in love with Danson together and they decided to ‘fight for their love’. One year ago, both of them decided on a naïve way to end the triangle relationship by car racing.

The outcome of the race was not within the expectation of anyone of them. They got into an accident and both of them died on the spot. They became spirits and had wandered around ever since. However, Danson seems to have disappeared ever since that incident and the twins could not find him, not even with their supernatural ability.

They could not communicate with any human beings, thus, unable to find the whereabouts of Danson. They begin to wander in the streets, hoping to find Danson among the crowd, even if the possibility is low.

Yumi: He was nowhere to be found…and we were on the verge of giving up

Miko continues: …then we saw you….

Aaron: How did you guys know I was the one who could connect with you?

This question had been brewing in Aaron’s mind. Spirits knew his presence even when he ignores theirs.

Yumi: You emit a different aura, as compared to normal people.

Miko: You are like…like a ‘signboard’ or something, a light….a hope for us….

Aaron POV: Signboard?! Well…’hope’ definitely sounds nicer.

Aaron: So…you want me to find Danson?

Yumi and Miko nod vigorously.

Aaron: But even if you guys see him, you can’t communicate with him. He won’t even know your presence…

Yumi: We just wanna see how he’s been…

Miko: Then…we would leave in peace…

Aaron POV: Leave in peace? Leave to heaven? Perhaps that’s where all good spirits end up…

Looking at their pitiful expression, Aaron has a strong urge to help them. However, several other thoughts struck him.

Aaron POV: What if that Danson is with some other girls; wouldn’t they be heartbroken if they were to know? Then I shouldn’t help them find him. They would be grief stricken. But…they won’t leave in peace if Danson is not found…

Aaron mutters: What should I do….

Yumi and Miko: Aaron….please help us find him *puppy and sincere eyes*

Without control, Aaron nodded and agreed.
---------------------------------------------------------
In Mandran High School Library

Aaron whispers: Is this him? *points to a picture in the yearbook of graduates*

Yumi: Yea! Isn’t he hot?

Aaron shrugs.

Aaron: Danson Tang Yu Zhe, graduate of year 2008 of Mandran High School….That’s all?

Miko: Yea. I guess you have to do one thing we can’t.

Yumi: Talk to the people here…

---------2 hours later-----------

Aaron took in a big gulp of water. He had been asking around for the past 2 hours but all he had gotten was thirst and headache.

Yumi: Detective work is really tough…

Aaron: Yea……

Suddenly, a thought strikes him.

Aaron: Detective?! Why didn’t I think of it?!

Yumi and Miko: What?

Aaron: I know one person who can help us without a sweat…. *Smiles at his brilliant idea*
----------------------------------------------------------