Chapter 6

In Between

 

Caught off guard

Gui Gui was sitting behind her desk, wondering how Aaron is doing.

Gui Gui: Should I call him? Hmm…maybe he’s resting. I shouldn’t disturb him right?

But, in opposition to her thoughts, she picks up the phone and dial Aaron’s number.

Just then, someone taps her shoulder. It’s Aaron.

Gui Gui: Aaron?! *Surprise* Why are you here? Aren’t you sick? Have you taken your medicine?

Aaron smiles: Wow wow, which question should I answer you first?

Gui Gui smiles: Well, how about telling me your purpose of visit?

Aaron bends forward and leans towards her. This makes Gui Gui blush and her heart race like never before.

Aaron whispers: I need your help.

Gui Gui: *puzzled* Huh?

-----15 mins-------

Gui Gui: There you go. All the information you need for this guy.

Aaron took the file and scan through it.

Aaron POV: He had moved to Canada ever since the incident? But he came back a few days ago according to the record from the immigration authorities.

Gui Gui: Why are you so interested in this guy?

Aaron: I…

Aaron doesn’t want to lie to Gui Gui. After all, she had helped him with the information and she had been such a great companion. And most importantly…she’s a special person to him…

Aaron: My friends want to know where he had gone ever since they lost contact with him since high school. He is very important to them.

Aaron POV: There…I’m not lying right? I just left out some details.

Gui Gui: I see…

Aaron: Thanks for your help, Gui Gui. Next time, it would be my treat.

Gui Gui: *smiles* Sure!

With that, Aaron left the police station hurriedly.

Gui Gui POV: Yay! Another chance to see him outside work…

She smiles to herself.

Chun was in his office, observing all along…

Chun POV: That Aaron seems to be up to something…

He was filled with jealousy and suspicion. Without a word, he put on his jacket and leaves his office.

Gui Gui: Chun, where are you going? Is there a case?

Chun: *Smiles* No…I just need to attend to something important.

With that, he left the police station in his car, following Aaron….
-----------------------------------------------------------

Aaron walks along the pavement, with the file grabbed tightly in his hands. He was in a dilemma. The file not only contains the information of Danson’s whereabouts but also the cruel fact that he’s married.

Aaron reads from the document: Married to Genie Zhuo, daughter of the property tycoon in Taiwan.

Aaron sighs: How would they react to this?

He was too engrossed to notice anyone following him, especially the well-trained investigator –Chun.

He turns at the corner to enter the back alley where the twins were, waiting excitedly.

Aaron gave a melancholy smile: Hi…

Yumi: *excited* you got it?

Aaron nodded reluctantly.

Miko: Where is he?

Aaron shows them the documents, everything in the document. Within seconds, silence hangs in the air. Yumi and Miko’s expression was what Aaron had expected but he didn’t know it was gonna be so hard, looking at their devastated face.

Aaron: I’m sorry…

Yumi: *sobs* Why…I thought…I thought he loves me…

Miko: I would be glad even if he chooses Yumi.

Yumi looks at her sister: Miko…I would be happy even if he chose you.

This is the first time Aaron sees the both of them talk about Danson without fighting. The news about Danson being married might be a blow to both of them, but it makes them treasure each other more than anything else, showing their love for each other. Aaron thought it was worth it.

Aaron: Now you guys can leave in peace…

Yumi and Miko look at each other and then at Aaron.

They spoke slowly: Aaron… can you visit him? With us?

Aaron: I….*sighs* All right

Yumi and Miko: Thank you! *Smiles*

Miko: We just wanna make sure that he is happy and blessed.

Yumi: Thank you *Smiles*

Aaron smiled too. The twins’ hyper and cheerful character reminds him of Gui Gui, and this makes him smile even wider…

Just then, their smile faded.

Aaron: What’s wrong?

Yumi and Miko: Shh! Aaron, don’t talk right now! And don’t turn around.

Aaron POV: What’s wrong?

Yumi: Someone is hiding behind the corner and looking in our direction!

Miko: He must have seen you ‘talking to yourself’!

Yumi: And my gut feeling tells me that he is tailing you.

Miko: Yea! He seems to know you…

Aaron did not speak all along, stunned.

He mumbled quietly: Then what should I do now?

Yumi: I don’t know!

Miko: Walk in this alley, away from him. We shall see what he does next.

In agreement, Aaron turned and started to walk down the alley, hoping that the twin’s guesses were wrong.

Aaron POV: The guy is probably just a passer-by.

However, to his dismay, that ‘passer-by’ called out: Aaron
Aaron froze. He could hear the footstep of the stranger as he approaches Aaron.

The stranger spoke: I believe you have an explanation to make…