Chapter 4

In Between

 

Seeing Double

Aaron took a sip of his coffee while enjoying the beautiful scenery. This is his favourite spot for relaxation- The rooftop.

He opens his diary and wrote quietly:

‘What is life? It’s not the pulse that runs through your veins. It’s not the palpitations you feel from your heart. It’s not the respiration that occurs every day. To me: Life is neither something that you can hold on to nor something that you could describe without thinking. Life is a moment where you know it exist in you, a moment when you fight for the life of others, and a moment where you know you live it. And everyone has life in them, whether they are humans or spirits.

To Angela, a spirit who had saved my life…’

With that, he signed off and closes his diary, with a lock. This is far too precious to let others see. After all, this is his biggest secret in life.

It’s been a week since the incident and Aaron had not seen Angela since then. He wonders where she had gone. Perhaps, just like in the movies, she had saw ‘The Light’ and walked towards it, going to heaven.

He shrugs to himself: Maybe I shouldn’t worry about it. She should be doing fine…

With that, he stands up smartly and breathes in the fresh air. Just then, his cell phone rang.

Aaron: Hello?

‘Hey lucky star, it’s me!’

He grins as he listens…
--------------------------------------------------------

Gui Gui leans against the wall, smiling to herself. She just ended a phone conversation with Aaron and he is heading back to the mortuary where Gui Gui is. They are going out for lunch together.

Thoughts ran through Gui Gui’s mind. The first time she met Aaron, the scene at the bar, how he saved her, how they smiled to each other in his ward, and how they smiled at the idea of Aaron being her lucky star.

Gui Gui POV: He’s so special and unique. I had never met someone like him before…

With that thought, she smiles dreamily.

Just then, she tilted her head sideways and saw a familiar face, very close to hers.

Gui Gui was startled and gave a short shout: Ah!
Aaron looks at her in amusement: Why are you day dreaming here?

Gui Gui: I….I…

Aaron teases: And you were blushing! Thinking of your boyfriend?

Gui Gui: What? I don’t have one!

Aaron felt happy at the good news. Aaron POV: So…she doesn’t have a boyfriend….

To get away from the embarrassing topic, Gui Gui hurried Aaron: I’m hungry, let’s go!

Aaron: All right!

Both of them set off together, happy because of each other’s presence.
-----------------------------------------------------------

At a particular restaurant a street across

Aaron shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He’s light mood no longer exist and now he felt troubled and fidgety.

Sensing something amiss, Gui Gui asks: Is the food not to your tasting? You look….weird.

Aaron: I am…fine.

Aaron couldn’t take his eyes off the girl who is leaning against the wall, smiling and waving to him. Of course, what makes Aaron uneasy is not her beauty but the fact that she’s a spirit.

Spirits don’t like crowded places, much less to say a crowded restaurant near a bustling street. And spirits don’t usually wave to Aaron, trying to get his attention.

They usually just take a glance at him, acknowledging his presence before they disappear into thin air.

This spirit is definitely up to something, and this makes Aaron feel frustrated and trapped.

However, he is determined to ignore her unless she comes right to him and start a conversation. Aaron bet a million dollars she won’t do that.

So, Aaron continues on his main course, ignoring the distraction.

Gui Gui: Are you all right? *Worried*

Aaron: I’m sorry, I was feeling a bit giddy just now. *lying*

Gui Gui: Do you need medicine? There’s a pharmacy nearby, I can buy it for you.

Aaron smiles: No I’m feeling better now. Must be too hungry.

Gui Gui smiles: Yea! Tuck in!

Just when Aaron was about to place the delicious chicken into his mouth, the spirit appeared again. This time, closer, much closer. She is standing beside Gui Gui, who is ignorant of her presence.

Aaron POV: Be calm, she can’t do anything either.

However, to his dismay and surprise, the spirit took a small toothpick from the empty table beside them and threw at Gui Gui.

She then smiles to Aaron, as if trying to prove his thoughts wrong.

Gui Gui did not see the flying toothpick and she called in surprise when the toothpick hit her arm.

Gui Gui: Where did this come from?

Aaron was loss for words. He was taken aback by what had happened right in front of his eyes.

Aaron: I…maybe it’s just some…kids.

Gui Gui looks around: *Blur* Is there any kids around?

Aaron decided that he could not ignore the spirit anymore. He has to speak to it, without Gui Gui.

To divert her attention, Aaron spoke: Gui Gui, I think I’m not feeling well right now…I need some rest.

Gui Gui: *concern* Should I buy you some medicine? Or we should go to a clinic now.

Aaron shakes his head: No it’s ok. I have some medicine at home. I just need to go home.

Gui Gui: Then I shall send you home!

Aaron smiles: It’s ok. Just help me tell George, will you?

Gui Gui: But..But…

Without giving Gui Gui the chance to argue, Aaron stood up and bid goodbye to her.

Aaron: Thanks for the meal! *Smiles*

Gui Gui: Aaron, wait!

Aaron: Yea?

Gui Gui: Take care of yourself…

Aaron smiles warmly: Thank you

He was pretty touched by the care and concern Gui Gui showered. But right now, he has something more urgent and worrisome to handle…
----------------------------------------------------------

‘Your girlfriend must be angry right now’ the spirit spoke naughtily.

Aaron: She…she’s not my girlfriend.

Spirit: Hmm, but you guys look good together. *smiles*

Ignoring the good comment, Aaron spoke: Why are you…I mean what are you doing here? I don’t know you.

Spirit: But we do.

‘And you are the only one who can help us now’ another voice was heard. It did not come from the spirit that disturbed Aaron.

Aaron turned and saw the owner of the voice. He was surprised, again: What….

He turned again and he saw two spirits in front of him, like a mirror reflection. They look exactly the same.

Aaron: I’m…I’m not seeing double, am I?

The spirits spoke together: Hi, Aaron *Smiles*
---------------------------------------------------------