Chapter 21

In Between

 

Different from her

Chun stood there, carrying Gui Gui, expressionless. He had no idea what had dragged him there, his conscience or humanity.

Chun: I’m sorry. Rainie, what you have done is all wrong. You should stop, now.

Rainie: You have betrayed me. Why should I listen to you? Didn’t I tell you to bring her as far as possible? And now you have brought her here...are you having second thoughts?

Aaron: Gui Gui! Gui Gui! Chun, what happened to Gui Gui? Why is she unconscious?

Chun placed Gui Gui gently on the floor with her leaning against the wall.

Chun: Aaron, I’m sorry.

Aaron: What…why?

Rainie: Don’t you understand? He had always been my best partner. He likes Gui Gui and he can’t wait for you to die so that he could snatch her away from you!

Chun was full of guilt and shame. He couldn’t bear standing there, listening to Rainie speaks of his wrong doings. After all, he was ‘forced’ and misled by her.

Chun: Aaron….I’m….

Aaron: You knocked Gui Gui out? Why would you want to do this? I treated you as partner and a trustworthy colleague…

Chun: I…
Rainie walked towards Chun: See, they don’t trust you now. Aaron hates you, so will Gui Gui. You are no longer yourself. You are my partner. I will still welcome you back if you want.

Chun: No I won’t!

With a sudden gesture, Chun pushed Rainie away and he took out his gun and aimed at her.

Rainie: You wanna kill me? On what offence? Kidnapping? Aren’t you doing that now as well?

Aaron: No he’s not.

Rainie: What? I beg your pardon?

Aaron: Chun is here to save me and Gui Gui. You were the one who kidnapped the both of us.

Rainie: What?!

Chun: Aaron….you….

Chun did not know what to say. He was filled with mixed feelings and of course, gratitude was one of them. He did not expect Aaron to forgive him of his wrong doings, much less to say help him wriggle free from the offence of knocking Gui Gui out. He was also surprised that Aaron had pushed all the blame on Rainie.

Aaron could see that Chun was guilty and sorry for what he had done and he decided to help Chun out.

Rainie: Aaron Yan, are you pushing all crime offences on me?

Aaron: *Said coldly* You did them…

Rainie: Why are you doing this to me? Chun had done nothing for you. What I did was for the future, our future!

Aaron: We have no future together. What you did was trying to destroy me and Gui Gui’s future. We belong to a different world. I am different from you.

Rainie: Shut up!!!!! I don’t want to hear any more of this nonsense!

Grabbing the chance, Chun dashed towards Rainie and attempt to grab her by the arm, subduing her.

However, Rainie managed to dodge away from Chun and got behind him with her agility. She then gave him a hard kick on his back which made Chun knock into the wall.

Chun was surprised by Rainie’s great strength and agility.
Rainie: Surprised? You thought I was just a small built girl who isn’t your match right? You are so wrong. I have more power than you can imagine.

Aaron POV: More power?

Rainie: Aaron, I know what you are thinking. The answer is yes. I have more power as in strength and skills because I was trained since young in order to vaporize spirits, just like vampire slayers.

Aaron: Vampire….slayers? They exist?

Rainie: Why not? We exist. They too. But not in this town.
Aaron: You gained strength by vaporizing spirits?

Rainie: Whenever I vaporize a spirit, I would absorb some of their energy. This can increase my strength and skills so I that I could survive strong.

Chun: What….what are you guys talking….about?

Rainie: Just shut up. It’s none of your business.

Chun: But nabbing you is my business!

With that, he aimed his gun at Rainie and attempts to fire but she kicked off his gun and it slide across the room.
Rainie: It’s not an easy task, you know? Nabbing me requires skills and expertise.

Just then, someone stood at the door smartly and said with great confidence: I happened to have both skills and expertise. And I have the confidence that I can nab you.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Rainie turned to the source of the voice and found herself face to face with her best friend-Selina.

Rainie: Selina, you shouldn’t have come.

Selina ignored her and whispered to George, who was standing beside her.

Selina: Untie Aaron and help Chun out. Leave Rainie to me.
George nodded in agreement.

Rainie: There is really no friendship left between the two of us right now.

Without warning, Rainie dashed towards Selina and threw a punch at her abdomen region, sending her colliding against the wall.

Selina groaned in pain, but recovered as quickly as she can.

Selina teased: That’s all you have got?

Rainie: Selina, get out of here. You are not my match. This is the least I can do for you.

Selina: And the least I could do for you are to stay here and direct you back to the right path.

Without another word, Rainie grabbed Selina by her shoulder and threw a punch in her face.

Selina summoned her strength and returned Rainie the ‘favor’. In addition, Selina kicked Rainie hard on her stomach. Rainie collapsed onto the floor.

Rainie: You have gotten more energy than before. Been vaporizing spirits secretly?

Aaron was surprised that Selina knew Rainie and on top of that, Selina also vaporizes spirits.

Selina: Rainie, stop now. Please. You are still my friend.
Rainie got on her feet slowly: Stop now? You still think I can? Friend? If you are my friend, why would you hurt me?
Selina was speechless. She did not know what to reply her best friend. After all, she was partially right.

Grabbing the chance, Rainie caught Selina off guard and attacked her and knocked Selina’s head against the wall, causing her to slightly loss her consciousness.

Suddenly, someone pulled Rainie from behind to prevent her from hurting Selina anymore. Rainie took out her golden dagger from her pocket and without further hesitation; she turned around and stabbed the person in the chest.

Meanwhile, Gui Gui slowly regain her consciousness. She opens her eyes and what came into view gave her the shock of her life…
-----------------------------------------------------------