Chapter 19

In Between

 

My Valentine

Mortuary

Aaron: Let’s give Selina a toast!

Gui Gui: Yea!

Selina: *smiles* Thank you.

Aaron: But…how did you guys know that we were at the jetty?

George smiles knowingly: Selina came to the mortuary that day after you dashed out of the office. She was looking for you.

Aaron: Looking for me?

Selina: Yea, I have some information on the case that you guys are working on.

Gui Gui: Hmm? How did you…..and why were you looking into this case?

Selina: I’m a private investigator. This case was on the news everyday and curiosity took over me so I started my investigation.

Selina was lying, but it was a white lie. She wanted to investigate on the spirit who nearly killed Gui Gui. Thus, when she found out that that spirit was Sonia Sui, she investigated on the case as well. The private investigator trick was just to cover her identity.

Gui Gui: Wow…I see. You were so fast in getting the information! And you were so agile at the jetty!

Aaron: *laughs* Gui Gui, you are so full of praises. Why didn’t you praise my mp3 instead? After all, Show is behind the bars now all because of the recording.

Gui Gui: Well, I guess you have some credit, but not as much as Selina.

Selina laughed: Whatever it is, all of us are safe now. That’s what’s important.

Just then, Gui Gui raised a question that no one would expect to hear on this joyful occasion.

Gui Gui: Where’s Rainie?

George puts down his glass of champagne: She resigned.

Aaron: Resigned?

Gui Gui: I thought….

Aaron and Gui Gui both exchanged glances. Both of them shared the same thoughts.

Aaron and Gui Gui POV: Rainie…is she really gone…had she given up? If that’s the case, I hope she’s doing well now.
Both of them let out a sigh.

George: You guys are really couples. You even sigh in symphony!

The both of them laughed in agreement.
-----------------------------------------------------------

One week later

Aaron: Gui Gui, I love you. *sighs*

Aaron stands in front of the glass window and sighs at his own reflection.

Aaron: This is so mushy. But after all, this is the first Valentine’s Day that me and Gui Gui are going to spend together, I must give her a deep and sweet memory of tonight.

George walks into the room: It is mushy…and a bit cliché.

Aaron turned and was surprised to see George: George?
*Sighs* Just tell me what to do. I have booked a candle light dinner for myself and Gui Gui tonight. I even prepared the flowers but my ‘speech’ is not done yet.

George: Well, you have done a great preparation job but as you say, the most important thing is not done yet! Women are all alike. They love it when man speaks about how much they love her so….you should prepare a very touching ‘speech’ for Gui Gui.

Aaron: Well, I don’t do this every time every date so this is kind of an unfamiliar task. Is there any way you could help?

George denies quickly: Oh my, please don’t give me such a task. The only thing I can do to help is to leave you alone. *laughs* I’m going off to a meeting. Hope you enjoy tonight and wish you all the best!

Aaron sighs: Looks like I’m on my own…

Aaron then looks at the present that he is going to give Gui Gui. It is a pair of couple watches.

Aaron: Hmmm, at least I have this present. I bet Gui Gui is gonna love it! *smiles*
----------------------------------------------------------

Police Station

Gui Gui POV: Hmmm, what will happen tonight? I can’t wait! This is going to be the first Valentine’s day that we are spending together. I wonder what have Aaron prepared for me?

Just then, Chun called her into the office.

----In Chun’s Office----

Gui Gui: New case, Chun?

Chun: No *Smiles* I was wondering…if you are interested in….watching this movie with me tonight. I know you love action pack. Transformers 2 is gonna be just perfect.
Gui Gui: Tonight? I…I’m sorry. I have a date with…

Chun: *Stopped smiling* With Aaron?

Gui Gui: Yea… *Smiles awkwardly* I’m sorry. I wished I could go. I would really love to watch that movie! How about we go tomorrow?

Chun forced a smile: Don’t worry about it. I can still watch it with my buddies. Get back to work.

Gui Gui: Thanks *Smiles*

Chun POV: Don’t worry, Gui Gui. I will make sure you get to watch this movie….tonight……

---Evening----

Aaron picks up his phone and dials Gui Gui’s number.

Aaron: Gui Gui, I still have got some paper work due tomorrow. I will fetch you at your house slightly later, is it ok?

Gui Gui replied over the phone: Sure! No problem, take your time. *Smiles*

They ended the conversation with Aaron feeling glad and blessed that he has such an understanding and considerate girlfriend.

Aaron turned to face his ‘work’.

Aaron: *sighs* Today is Valentine’s. I have a date.

Jay: Please, just help me see if my girlfriend is cheating on me. Please!

Aaron: You committed suicide because your girlfriend was cheating on you so now you still want me to check if she is cheating on you? Don’t you already know the truth?

Jay sighs: I know she is cheating on me. It’s just an excuse for me to see her again.

Aaron: Well, you can still go there and see her. Right?

Jay: But I was hoping you could help me write a love letter or something like that to see…if she still remembers me. I just wanna see the expression on her face when she sees anything that is related to me. Then I would know if she had really loved me before.

Aaron sighs: Fine. I will write but not now. I really have an important date to attend to.

Just when Jay was about to persuade Aaron, someone came into the mortuary. Someone who is not welcomed – Rainie.

Rainie: Aaron.

Aaron was surprised to see her: Rainie? Why are you here?

Rainie: I left some of my personal stuff here so I came back to collect them. Sorry to trouble.

Aaron gave a brief smile: It’s all right.

Jay: Aaron…

Aaron signals Jay to keep quiet.

Aaron wished he could quickly get out of the office. After all, he doesn’t want to have anymore relations with Rainie and he really needs to rush to his date. He is running late.

Aaron: I’m about to leave. Are you leaving?

Rainie: Sure…Aaron!

Aaron turned and was taken aback by Rainie’s sudden movement. She had rushed forward to hug him.

Aaron: *Pulls her away* Rainie, I’m sorry but you have to behave properly. We are not supposed to be….

Rainie interrupts him: We are! We are supposed to be! We are supposed to be together!

Aaron: *Frowns* Rainie, stop these nonsense, I’m sorry but I do not have any feelings towards you.

Jay: Aaron…I have

Aaron ignores Jay.

Rainie: You have feelings towards me, you just didn’t realize it.

Aaron: No I don’t. I barely know you!

Rainie: Aaron, we have known each other years back. Gui Gui was the one who came between us.

Aaron was puzzled and confused by Rainie’s words: What?

Just then, Rainie took out her golden dagger and threw it. It stabbed right at Jay’s heart and within seconds, he turned into vapor and vanished in front of Aaron’s eyes.

Aaron was too shock and astonished at what had just happened in front of him.

Aaron: How…how…

Rainie: Aaron Yan, you are the mediator and we belong to the same world.
-----------------------------------------------------------