Chapter 8

In Between

 

Tomorrow

Aaron asks in bewilderment: Why did you do that?

‘I’m sorry…I guess I didn’t really think before I act…I didn’t expect myself to regret.’ A guy spoke.

Aaron sighs: You shouldn’t apologize to me. You should be sorry for yourself…

Aaron looks at the guy who wears a sad and regretful expression on his face.

Aaron: *guilty* Sorry, I didn’t mean to be harsh on you. I just thought…that…

‘….that I shouldn’t be ending my life because of a girl right?’ The guy continues for Aaron.

Aaron: *Sighs* Yea…

The guy: But it’s all too late now…isn’t it?

Aaron: Well…Ah Ben, I believe I can still help…I mean, any last wishes before you go….?

Aaron did not know where spirits go after fulfilling their last wishes. After all, he didn’t have a connection with Angela or the Twins after he helped them with their last wishes.

Ah Ben: I don’t know what’s next for me…but I do have a final request…

Aaron: What’s that?

Ah Ben: To date…for one last time…

Aaron: *exclaims* DATE?

Aaron POV: Where in the world can I find a spirit to date with him? Spirits wandering on the streets aren’t that friendly…

Ah Ben: Yea…I know what you are thinking. I don’t need another spirit to date with me. Perhaps a human would be a better idea. *smiles* It feels real…

Aaron: Human?! But nobody other than me can communicate with you, REMEMEBER?

Ah Ben: *Sighs* you are right….. *brightens up* But you can communicate with humans!

Aaron: Yea…I know… *puzzled* so what?

Ah Ben: *sly and cheeky smile* I know what to do exactly…
Aaron looks at Ah Ben, puzzled: I don’t know what you are up to but I have a bad feeling about this…

---Police Station----

In the lift

Aaron: I don’t think this is a good idea…

With that, Aaron attempts to press level 1 but was discouraged by Ah Ben’s puppy eyes.

Like Angela, Ah Ben cannot come into contact with any matters. He can’t grab hold of anything like the Twins can. Aaron figured that maybe spirits can grab hold of things when they are being agitated or when they had been spirits for a longer time, just like the Twins, who had been spirits for a year. Thus, being a ‘new spirit’, Ah Ben could not stop Aaron in action but he can still make use of his expressions to plead Aaron.

Aaron: *Sighs and give up* All right all right…

Aaron POV: Why did I agree to this? I mean….asking Gui Gui out for a dinner is normal but asking her out on a date? It’s gonna be so awkward. What if she rejects me on the spot right in my face? I haven had a proper date since high school…This is definitely the hardest task ever!

Aaron: But…Is this considered to be a date for you? You are only going to be standing beside us right?

Ah Ben: Yea…even though I can’t really date her…I can still feel the atmosphere that would be filled with love…right?

Aaron blushes upon that thought: Love? I…

Ah Ben: Don’t hesitate! Do it for me. This is my final wish!

Aaron: *Sighs* All right…

Aaron got out of the lift and walk towards Gui Gui’s desk. His heart is pumping like never before and everything around him seems to go in slow motion.

Aaron POV: I can do it…I can do it…

Ah Ben: *Encourage* you can do it

Aaron stops in front of her desk.

Aaron: Hi…

Gui Gui’s face was hidden behind the piles of documents stacked on her desk. She didn’t look up. Instead, she signals Aaron to wait.

Aaron POV: Maybe it would be easier to ask her when she’s not looking at me…

Aaron summons his courage and spoke in a complete sentence without a pause: Gui Gui, I’m Aaron. I was wondering if you are free for a date tomorrow night but if you are occupied its ok.

Ah Ben: Hey you don’t need to add that! I really want my date!

Aaron was panting slightly by the time he finished what he wants to say.

Ah Ben: Let me see how my date looks like.

Ah Ben got behind Gui Gui’s desk and got a shock: Aaron Yan! Are you trying to smash my last wish?! This…..This…is ridiculous!

Aaron was puzzled and he did not understand Ah Ben: What?
He bends forward and to his ultimate surprise, the ‘Gui Gui’ he had been speaking to for the past 3 minutes is an ‘Auntie’!

That auntie is a clerk.

Auntie: Didn’t I tell you to wait?! I didn’t say I’m your Gui Gui. Gui Gui is over there!

The auntie pointed to another direction where Gui Gui is- laughing.

Gui Gui had heard the whole conversation between Aaron and the auntie. She wanted to tell Aaron that she had changed her desk but before she could do so, Aaron had already made a fool out of himself.

Aaron: *Deep shade of red* I…I’m…sorry…

With that, he turned and walks towards Gui Gui who’s smiling at him.

Gui Gui:*Teases* I didn’t know you were interested in Auntie Chan…I could introduce you guys…

Aaron: *embarrassed* Stop that…I’m awkward enough….

Gui Gui laughs: All right all right….

Aaron: I thought I was talking to you….

Gui Gui smiles. Gui Gui POV: So…he did wanted to ask me out…Will he ask again?

Ah Ben: So she’s the one? Aww…she is so cute!! Ask her out now!!!

Aaron POV: What?! Make a fool of myself again? What if she rejects me downright straight?

However, Aaron knows he must do this no matter what. And part of him wants to ask Gui Gui out too…

Aaron: *looks at Gui Gui* Erm…..

Gui Gui could feel palpitations. Gui Gui POV: He’s gonna ask!

Aaron: Are you…free….for….

Just then, someone called out. It was Chun.

Chun: Gui Gui! I need you in the office now.

Gui Gui POV: What?! Why now?!!!

Looking at Chun’s stern expression, Gui Gui had no choice but to oblige.

Gui Gui sighs: All right….

Gui Gui looks at Aaron, hoping that he would ask the question again. But to her dismay, Aaron only looked at her quietly.

Gui Gui POV: It’s all Chun’s fault! Why can’t he wait for 5 more seconds?! And Aaron Yan, why can’t you ask in a faster speed?!

With that thought, Gui Gui went into Chun’s office reluctantly and grumpily.

Chun POV: Luckily I stopped them in time…In this way; they would have lesser chance to get together…

---------5 minutes later--------

Chun: All right, that’s all I want to tell you. You can get back to work now.

Gui Gui: What?! That’s all? You asked me in to photocopy these documents for you?

Chun: Yea…

Gui Gui: I’m not an admin!

Chun shrugs: But you looked so free just now. So I figured you could get some work done.

Gui Gui: It’s all your fault!

With that, she stomps out of his office.

Chun: Sorry Gui Gui, Aaron is not the guy for you….I am….

---------6pm---------

Gui Gui: *Stretch* Finally, it’s 6pm. The photocopy work does give me a backache…

Gui Gui sighs. Aaron was nowhere in sight when she came out of Chun’s office this afternoon.

Gui Gui grumbles: Can’t he wait for just a few minutes?
‘I waited for 3 hours…Isn’t it enough?’ someone replied her.

Gui Gui: Huh?

She looks up and saw Aaron leaning against the wall, smiling at her.

Gui Gui: You…

Aaron: I’m waiting for an answer.

Gui Gui: *Feign innocence* What answer?

Aaron walk towards Gui Gui: I asked…if you were free for a date tomorrow night…

Aaron had practiced saying the above line for the past hours and finally, he does not stutter.

Gui Gui’s heart skipped a beat upon hearing the word ‘date’.

She nodded silently.

Aaron POV: Yea man!

Aaron felt his heart lifted and uncontrollably, he was filled with euphoria. He didn’t know if it was due to the fact that he had gotten a date for Ah Ben or that he is going on a date with Gui Gui.

Aaron and Gui Gui POV: I can’t wait for tomorrow to come….
-----------------------------------------------------------
Thank you guys! I'm feeling much better right now. I can't stop posting...if not, i would be forgotten....lol. Thanks for the warm concern! They really chased the cold bug away. :)