Chapter 22

In Between

 

In Between

Gui Gui tries to overcome the dizziness in her head while getting herself to stand up.

Gui Gui: What….what…happened?! *bewilderment*

Upon seeing Gui Gui regain her consciousness, George rushed forward to give her a hand.

George: Gui Gui, cool down, don’t worry. *Frowns*

She took a step nearer towards the scene and what came into view gave her a second reassured shock.

Gui Gui: Aar….Aaron...

There he was, lying there, breathing slowing and tediously.

Aaron: Gui Gui….. Gui Gui….

There it was, a golden dagger stuck at his abdomen, with blooding oozing from the fateful wound.

Rainie, Selina, George and Chun stood there, trying to swallow the fact that Aaron was wounded. Rainie was all the more surprised.

Rainie: *Tears well up her eyes* What…..Aaron….!

Without any more emotional strength to continue speaking, Rainie broke down into tears.

Gui Gui knelt down and held Aaron in her arms. Chun was already calling the ambulance.

Gui Gui held onto Aaron’s hand while touching his face. She cried harder as she could feel Aaron’s hands and face getting colder.

Aaron tried his very best to speak: Gui Gui…..I’m sorry….I wanted to….tell you that….my secret….

Gui Gui: Shhhh…don’t speak…no matter what secrets you have, what you had done, you are still my Aaron.

Aaron: *forced a smile* Gui Gui….. *looks deeply and affectionately into her eyes* You are so beautiful today… don’t cry…you will spoil it…

Gui Gui cried harder, with tears rolling down her cheeks, beads after beads.

Just then, Aaron’s hand slipped from Gui Gui’s grip as he slowly closes his eyes lethargically.

Gui Gui: Aaron…..Aaron….Aaron!!!

Her cries filled the whole corridor, along with Rainie’s sobs.
---------------------------------------------------------

Voice 1: ‘Do you think he will be okay?’

Voice 2: ‘ I hope so, but he seems to be badly hurt’

Voice 3: ‘We have to find a way to send him back’

Voice 4: ‘Yea, after all, he had helped us a great deal’

Aaron flickered his eyelids and slowly opens his eyes. Meanwhile, the familiar voices speak again.

Voice 2: ‘Look! He’s awake now!’

Aaron opens his eyes and what came into view were familiar faces. However, he wasn’t expecting to see them again ever in his life.

He was shocked to see them. He got up abruptly and asked in bewilderment: Why….why are you guys…..here? Angela, Yuki, Miko, Ah Ben…. Why are you guys here? Am…am I dead….?

Miko: Dead? We don’t know yet….

Aaron was even more puzzled.

Yumi: Look over there. It’s you.

Aaron turned and found himself looking at his own body, lying on the hospital bed, with ventilator on his mouth, and numerous other needles attached to his arm. Then, he saw something that lightens his mood, his heart rate. It was going at a healthy 80 beats per minute (bpm) and his electrocardiogram looks healthy. However, his body was not responding.

Aaron: Why…why aren’t I awake? I’m feeling fine right now…

Angela: I heard the doctor mention that you had lost too much blood and is at risk of losing your life. You are still not out of your ‘dangerous status’ so you are now in Intensive Care Unit (ICU).

Aaron: But…now that I’m here….can’t I get back to my body?

Ah Ben: No, not yet. You can try.

Aaron stepped towards his body but a force caused him to repel back.

Aaron: Wow…what just happened?

Ah Ben: According to my knowledge…

Angela, Yumi and Miko: Erhem, it’s our discussion, not your knowledge.

Ah Ben: *Embarrassed smile* Okay…sorry. According to our discussion, there are charges that surround your soul-less body. And these charges are opposite to our spiritual form. Thus, you are unable to get into or even near your body.

Aaron: *Worried* Then how am I supposed to go back?

Angela: There is a way. We can give you part of our energy and at the right moment, we can ‘push’ you back to your body.

Aaron: When is the right moment?

Ah Ben: As the doctor had mentioned, tonight is the critical night. At the moment where your heart stops, the charges around your body would slowly cease and by then, you can enter into your body. These critical seconds will past very quickly and when you get back into your body in time, you will wake up.

Aaron: But what if my heart doesn’t stop?! What if I can’t get back in time?

Ah Ben: If your heart doesn’t stop, your body will still have these charges surrounding it and we don’t have a way right now to get rid of these charges. If your heart stops but you don’t get back in time, you will die, or even become a vegetable.

Miko: And the charges around your body will still exist…which means…

Aaron: Which means…I can never get back into my body and I would never wake up…..right?

Angela: Yea…Aaron, don’t worry, you will be able to get back to your body.

Just then, the ward door opened and in came Gui Gui and Selina.

Aaron saw Selina and waved at her, waiting for her to respond. However, she was ignorant of Aaron’s presence.

Aaron: *puzzled* Why can’t she sees me? She vaporizes spirits; she should be able to see us!

Angela: Aaron, you are still not considered to be a spirit because your body is still alive. You are a….in between.

Aaron: In between? *Sighs* Then how about you guys?

Yumi: *Says happily* We are no longer wandering spirits

Aaron: Why?

Miko: Because of you. You helped us finished our final wishes and there’s nothing in this world that we are reluctant to let go…

Ah Ben: Thus, we are no longer spirits.

Aaron: So you guys are Angels now?

Angela: We can’t tell you what we are. This is top secret.

Aaron: *Sighs* whatever it is, I still want to thank you guys for appearing at this point of time.

Ah Ben: No worries...now what we need to do is to wait….

Aaron walks towards Gui Gui and looked at her sadly. She took off her mask and wiped away her tears. However, beads of tears just rolled down her rosy cheeks uncontrollably.

Finally, she put herself together and speaks quietly: Aaron…Selina had told me all about it, all about your secret. Aaron Yan…if you are here, even though I can’t see you, listen to me carefully. I don’t care if we belong to a different world. I don’t care if I don’t have the ability to see what you can see and I don’t care if you think you are a weirdo or a freak. All I know is that, you- Aaron Yan, is a kind hearted, caring and gentle guy who puts everyone else before yourself. And most importantly, although I can’t see spirits, I can still see you, the guy whom I will only love.

With that final sentence, Gui Gui’s looked down sadly. Selina gave her a pat on her shoulder.

Suddenly, the room was filled with the sound ‘beep beep beep beep’. Selina and Gui Gui looked up and immediately knew what was going on. It was Aaron’s heartbeat, pumping as if he was exercising.

At that moment, Gui Gui and Aaron each knew that that was the critical moment for them.
---------------------------------------------------------

----5 Years Later-------

Gui Gui: What is wrong with you? Why are you being so disobedient?!

‘I don’t want to go there…I don’t want….’ The small boy rattled.

Gui Gui: Wait till your daddy comes. Look what he will do to you.

Gui Gui looked up and from far, she could see her suave husband walking towards them.

Gui Gui: You are late.

Aaron: Sorry! I was just…

Gui Gui: ‘Communicating’ again?

Aaron: Yea…it’s a tricky case, as you know. Serial murder.

Gui Gui: New case? How I wished I’m still in the police force. *pouts*

Aaron puts his hand on Gui Gui’s head: But you have a more important and meaningful job right now…to take care of our little prince.

With that, Aaron lifts up his son and carries him comfortably in his arms: Right? My little prince?

The kid shakes his head in disagreement: No…Mummy was forcing me to go to art classes.

Gui Gui: Well, you said you love drawing, didn’t you?
The kid hesitated before saying: But I don’t like it there….

Aaron: Why?

The kid continues: Because, they always stand there in the corner of the room, smiling at me.

Aaron: Who are ‘they’?

The kid then pointed elsewhere: They look like them…..

Aaron looked in the direction his son pointed and there it stands something that Aaron is too familiar with…spirits………..
-----------------------------------------------------------
----The End-----

We have come to the end of the story. Hope to see more comments! :)