Chapter 13

In Between

 

Friday the 13th

Rainie walks towards the petrified soul, with a luminous long dagger in her right hand.

Sonia: I….I…Please don’t….

Rainie strike the knife at her but missed her on purpose.

Rainie: *smirk* I won’t vaporize you yet…you are still of use to me…

Sonia’s expression was a mixture of fear and hope: You..You won’t vaporize me?

Rainie: That depends on the extent of your usefulness…*smiles wickedly*
----------------------------------------------------------

Aaron looks under the microscope to analyze the limited number of evidence they possesses.

Aaron: *looks away and sighs* Why isn’t there any clue?
Suddenly, his vision was obstructed and what he could see was a blanket of darkness.

Aaron cried a short cry of surprise.

‘Guess who?’ the culprit spoke.

Aaron: *enlightened by the voice* A pretty girl who has an injured ankle and should be resting at home now.

Gui Gui: It’s not at all fun to play pranks on you. *pouts* you are a genius after all.

Aaron: Anyone could have guessed it was you especially with your sweet voice. *smiles*

Gui Gui: Stop the sweet talk! How’s the case going? I went to the station before I came here and they told me that this case is a tricky one.

Aaron: Yea, indeed. There weren’t many useful clues around.

Aaron POV: How I wish Sonia could appear…

Gui Gui: Well, I don’t think we would have any luck finding any clues today.

Aaron: Why the pessimistic view?

Gui Gui: Because……*creating an eerie aura* today is ….Friday the 13th!

Aaron: *rolls his eyes* Please….it’s just another normal day!

Gui Gui: I don’t know but I just feel kind of uneasy today. Like…a hunch….

Aaron: A hunch? About?

Gui Gui: A hunch that something might happen today.

Aaron: *Sighs* Just go home and get more rest.

Gui Gui: I’m perfectly fine!

Aaron: *points at her bandaged ankle* You are still a patient who needs rest so long as I see the ‘white cloth’ still wrapped around your ankle. So get going now.

Gui Gui: *pouts* Fine….

Aaron: That’s a good girl. And…as a reward…..

Aaron then bends forward to give her a peck on the cheek.

Gui Gui smiles in contentment and left the office shyly: Bye *smiles*

----10 minutes later----

Aaron: Looks like Gui Gui’s right. Today is not my lucky day.

Just then, someone interrupted his thoughts.

‘Aaron…I need your help…’

Aaron turned and what came into view was Sonia.

Aaron: You are finally here! Why didn’t you appear yesterday?

Sonia: Aaron, I’m sorry…I was too scared to face my own body…in the mortuary….

Aaron: I….I’m sorry.

Sonia: It’s all right. *smiles*

Aaron: I can help you but I need your co-operation.

Sonia: Of course.

Aaron: Firstly….do you know…who killed you?

Sonia hesitated before nodding.

Aaron: You knew the murderer?

Sonia gave the same respond.

Aaron picks up the piece of cloth which has the symbol on it and he shows it to Sonia.

Aaron: Does this mean anything to you?

Sonia: This….is the symbol….of the triad he belongs to. The Hawk.

Aaron: The Hawk?

Just then, Aaron heard footsteps and he accidentally dropped the evidence on the floor.

He listens closer before realizing that it was just a passer-by.

Aaron gives a sigh of relief.

Just then, something surprised him. Sonia was holding the piece of cloth using her translucent hands.

Aaron: How…*puzzled* How did you managed to touch…I thought….

Aaron POV: I thought spirits who have died for a longer time would then gain the power of interacting with matter?

Sonia: *Stutters* I…I don’t know….perhaps all spirits can do so?

Aaron: No…not all.

Sonia: Maybe….I am one of those lucky ones. *smiles awkwardly*

Aaron: Maybe…. *thoughtful*

Sonia looked away with guilt and nervousness. She must not let Aaron know the pact between her and Rainie. After all, Rainie did not vaporize her even though she has the ability to.

Sonia POV: I must do what Rainie tells me to…if not…I would be vaporized…

----------------------------------------------------------

----Same Day----

Rainie walks along the street into a back alley.

Rainie: Just come out already. Aren’t you tired of spying on me?

‘Of course not…’ the mysterious person spoke.

Rainie smiles as she gives the person a hug: Selina. It’s been quite some time.

‘Actually, I had been spying on you since last week. Didn’t you realize?’ Selina asks.

Rainie: I…I was pre-occupied with…

Selina: With your guy?

Rainie: You are hell of a spy.

Selina smiles: I know…but Rainie, shouldn’t you have some control over your emotions?

Rainie: I…

Selina: You and him…belongs to different world. We can see spirits and we vaporize them.

Rainie: He can communicate with spirits too! *she argues*

Selina: But he’s a mediator. He is born to be a mediator. We are born to vaporize spirits, not bear our feelings and chat with them.

Rainie: Maybe he can switch to our side *hopeful*

Selina: You know he can’t…

Rainie: I don’t care if he can…or not….I just….

Selina: I know you liked Aaron since young…but he don’t remember you already!

Rainie: I believe he does! I believe he would!

Selina: Rainie…give up already….We and him are different. Just like vampires and hunters.

Rainie: I won’t give up yet…now he is just too pre-occupied with the cop.

Selina: I believe they truly love each other.

Rainie: No…so long as Gui Gui is out of the picture…everything will be steered to my favor.

Selina: What are you going to do? *Worried*

Rainie: You shall see. Tonight is my night…
----------------------------------------------------------