Chapter 20

In Between

 

Switching sides

Gui Gui was sitting in her living room, on her favorite couch. She had been waiting for Aaron since 6pm, which is an hour ago.

Gui Gui: *Wonders* Hmm, where had Aaron gone? I thought he said he would be here soon…

Just then, the door bell rang.

Gui Gui: *excited* Must be him! I must ‘punish’ him for being late.

She rushed to the door and opened it while saying: How dare you be late!

However, to her dismay, the person who was standing right in front of her was not Aaron but Chun.

Gui Gui: Chun?

Chun laughs: Am I late?

Gui Gui: Oh….I thought you were…

Chun: Aaron told me to pass a message to you. He’s not coming.

Gui Gui: He’s not coming?! Why?

Gui Gui POV: Why didn’t he call me?

Chun: Don’t blame him. He was held up by some cases.

Gui Gui: Chun, don’t we need to go too?

Chun: Of course not, it’s a case in Australia. We are not International Police Investigators! *laughs*

Gui Gui: *disappointed* I see…

Gui Gui POV: Why didn’t he even leave a message for me? Why didn’t he at least tell me?

She was utterly disappointed by this sudden news of Aaron not being able to spend Valentine’s Day with her.

Chun: Gui Gui, are you all right? *noticed her sad expression*

Gui Gui: I’m fine. Don’t worry…

Chun: Then let’s go.

Gui Gui: *surprised* Go? Where to?

Chun: We shall spend Valentine’s Day together. *Smiles* Let’s go.

Without giving Gui Gui the chance to reject nor speak, Chun pulls her into his car and drove off in a jiffy.

In the car, Gui Gui was still thinking about Aaron. She couldn’t understand the irresponsible act that he had pulled. She was more worried than angry.

Gui Gui called Aaron but no one picked up. She became more worried.

‘How could Aaron be on the plane with an hour?’ She asked herself silently.

Gui Gui: Chun, how about George, did he go too?

Chun: George? Er…I’m not so sure about it.

Gui Gui POV: Something must be wrong….

Gui Gui: I better call George.

Suddenly, Chun stepped his brake hard and fast and the car came to an immediate halt.

Gui Gui’s phone slipped out of her hand and dropped under the seat.

Gui Gui: What happened?

Chun: Sorry, I thought I saw a dog running across the road so I stopped.

Gui Gui: Where’s my phone?

Chun: Your phone? I didn’t see it. Must be under the seat.

Gui Gui bend down to retrieve her phone.

She manages to spot her phone before everything turned dark.

Chun: *after knocking her out* I’m sorry Gui Gui, but you cannot call George. If not, everything would not go according to the plan…
-----------------------------------------------------------

Aaron frowns: What’s wrong with you? Why are you doing this?!

He tries to struggle but to no avail. The ropes that encircle his wrist and ankles were too tight to wriggle free from.

30 minutes earlier, Aaron had found out about Rainie’s identity and Rainie caught him off guard and knocked him unconsciously. Upon regaining consciousness, Aaron found that he was already tied up, unable to move.

Rainie: Let me tell you a story. A story that you should remember deeply, like me.

Aaron was puzzled. He did not know Rainie’s purpose.

Aaron POV: Perhaps she had lost her sanity.

Rainie: A decade ago, there was a little girl who could see spirits. She was born in a family whom all possesses the same ability. However, they are different from mediators, because she was born not to mediate and speak with spirits. She was born to eliminate them by vaporizing them.

Aaron started to get her point.

Aaron POV: She is telling a story of herself.

Rainie continues: Then one day, this little girl started her first task. She was barely twelve and she could not handle the evil and angry spirit who stood right in front of her, ready to engulf her soul. Just then, the boy came. He was different from her in certain ways though both of them could see spirits. The boy was, however, a mediator. He was born to mediate between humans and spirits and he have the power to subdue spirits without throwing a punch or a stab. And then…

Aaron: *interrupts* And then the little boy managed to save the girl from the mouth of death.

Rainie: But since then, he had disappeared. Aaron, you remembered!

Aaron: Yea I do…but

Rainie: I know you are going to say it’s nothing. But it meant a lot to me. I live in a world of soul capturers. They are selfish and cruel. They don’t care if you die when vaporizing spirits. Not even my parents care that much of my life.

Aaron: Rainie…

Rainie: Aaron, you were the only one I met who had saved my life without hesitating.

Aaron: I would have done it even if it’s others.

Rainie: I don’t care!

Aaron: Then what are you going to do now? It’s no use keeping me here.

Rainie: Aaron, we should belong together. You don’t belong to Gui Gui’s world. Our world is the same. We can live in our world happily.

Aaron: Rainie, you are wrong. We are different. As you have said, I mediate with spirits but you vaporize them. We are different. Gui Gui would never be like you.

Rainie: But Gui Gui doesn’t know this dark secret of yours, does she?

Aaron hesitated: I…she will accept me.

Rainie: No she won’t. We are freaks. Humans will not accept us!

Aaron: I am a human! I just see extra things. That’s all!

Rainie: Can she accept fact that you can speak to those eerie spirits that she fear? She can’t! I have tried having boyfriends and all of them ran away!

Aaron: Rainie, you have boyfriends before. This means that you don’t like me that much. I’m just a passer-by who had saved your life once. That’s all.

Rainie: Enough of all those crap. We are going to someplace where no one could find us. Then, we can live on our own in our world.

Aaron: Rainie, listen to me!

Before Aaron could speak, someone came.

‘Rainie, stop what you are doing now.’

Rainie was surprised by the appearance of the intruders.

Rainie: Why should I listen to you? You are a traitor!
----------------------------------------------------------
This story is ending soon, hope to see more comments! :)