Chapter 3

In Between

 

Lucky Star

Aaron shouted: Gui Gui! Gui Gui! Where are you?

He couldn’t see clearly in the dark alley. This frustrates him.

Aaron: Angela, help me find them…

Angela: Right away.

Meanwhile, Aaron called for the police. Within seconds, Angela is back with Aaron.

Angela: Aaron! That guy is hiding behind the crates and he is holding Gui Gui!

Aaron felt weaker minute by minute as the drug effect took over him. But for Gui Gui, he have to resist the drug effect and overcome the weakness that is empowering him.

The moment Aaron saw Mike, he summons all his strength and pull him up. He pushes Mike away and kneels down to take a closer look at Gui Gui. She was unconscious.

Mike: Stupid cop! Didn’t you get knocked out by the drug?

Aaron ignores him and tries to carry Gui Gui. But Aaron could no longer fight the physical challenge. He soon collapsed.

Mike took the chance and he pulls Aaron up and throws a punch right in his face. Aaron was half-conscious and he could feel the pain piercing through his cheekbone. But he hopes that Mike would keep his attention on him as he does not want Mike to harm Gui Gui.

Meanwhile, Gui Gui slowly regained some consciousness and she opens her eyes weakly. What she could see was Aaron, being punched right in the face by Mike.

She felt weak and thus couldn’t move to help Aaron. Gui Gui was tearing, because at this rate, Aaron will be seriously injured by Mike.

Gui Gui: *weakly* Aaron…

Angela was standing there and she felt helpless. She couldn’t do anything except to see the guy who helped her get bashed up by the monster who killed her.

She felt more helpless as she sees Mike pushing Aaron away and moving towards Gui Gui, preparing to start his monstrous act over again.

Angela: No….No…. I’m not going to let you have your way now!

Angela summoned all the strength that she had and she tries to pick up the wooden plank which was lying against the wall.

To her surprise, she succeeded.

She moved towards Mike and swung the plank towards him, hitting him on his head. Mike was surprised yet freaked out by the ‘flying plank’.

Mike: What…What the heck is… happening?!

He stumbled a few steps back and tripped on a metal rod that was lying on the floor. He fell backwards and his head collided into one of the sharp edges of a wooden crate.

With that, he losses consciousness immediately, just before the police arrived…
--------------------------------------------------------
Gui Gui opens her eyes weakly and what came into view is the glaring white light on the ceiling.

Gui Gui: Where am I?

‘Hospital’ someone answered her question almost immediately.

Gui Gui turned to look at him: Chun? Why are you here?
Chun chuckled: I’m your superior, of course I must be present when my die hard crime fighter subordinate is hospitalised because of work. You should have asked me to accompany you. It’s too dangerous…

Gui Gui: I wasn’t alone…I…..Where’s Aaron?!

Chun: Aaron Yan? The next ward but his condition is…

With no patience to allow Chun to complete his sentence, Gui Gui dashes out of the room and went searching for Aaron frantically.

She finally found Aaron’s ward and she pushes the door open with her greatest strength while shouting for him.

Gui Gui: Aaron!
---------------------------------------------------------

She stood rooted to the ground, stunned by the multiple pairs of eyes that are staring at her now. There are 4 people in the room- the doctor, nurse, police officer and George. 4 pairs of eyes are on her.

Of course, Aaron is resting on the bed, eating an orange, looking at her in amusement.

Gui Gui POV: Oh my god…did I just shouted Aaron’s name out loud?

George: Gui Gui, do you miss Aaron that much?

Gui Gui: *blushes furiously* I……I……….

Gui Gui POV: Aaron…Aaron Yan, it’s all your fault. I thought you were in a critical condition. Little did I expect that you are resting here, eating orange!

With that thought, Gui Gui frowns and pouts.

Aaron looks at her and says quietly: Thanks for the concern.

Gui Gui was taken aback by his gentle tone. It was smooth and soothing. She would kill to hear it more often.

Gui Gui shakes her head vigorously to rid her mind of that weird thought.

George: Are you all right? You seem to be….

Aaron teased: You seem to be perfectly yourself today- weird.

Gui Gui: *blushes* Hey! Aaron Yan….if I know you are healthy enough to tease others, I wouldn’t bother to visit you….

Aaron: All right, I’m kidding.

Police Officer: So, Mr Yan… Can you tell me what happened that night?

Aaron reported the whole night’s event to the police office. Of course, he left out the part where he talks to the spirit. He doesn’t want to be mistaken by others that he is suffering from some post-traumatic condition.

Gui Gui was standing there, listening to Aaron. She was touched. She knew sub-consciously that Aaron was being beaten up by Mike but little did she know that Aaron was under the drug effect as well and that he had to fight harder to stay conscious in order to save her.

Gui Gui POV: I…I had never thought Aaron would do something….like that…for me. I always thought he’s just some mad scientist or something…

Police Officer: Mike He suffered from head injuries and is now rehabilitating in the prison ward. Once he recovers, he will face charges of murder and . Thank you for your co-operation.

Aaron: You’re welcome. *Smile*

Just then, the doctor spoke: Mr Yan, I have accessed your current condition. Luckily, your injuries will not bring any future complications. You just need to rest more.

George: And take lots of Vitamin C for healing.

Doctor: That’s right.

Aaron: Thanks doctor.

With that, the doctor and nurse left and the room is left with the 3 of them.

George: Well…anyone hungry? I shall go get us some food.

Gui Gui: Thanks George.

George left the room hurriedly, leaving them alone.

Gui Gui: Are you feeling all right?

Aaron: I’m fine *smiles* It’s just some minor injuries and scratches.

Gui Gui: I’m sorry. It’s my fault that you ended up here…

Aaron: It’s not. It’s my fault to not pay attention to you when you say you were feeling weird.

Gui Gui: No, it’s my fault.

Aaron: No, It’s mine.

Gui Gui and Aaron: No it’s mine…

The two of them broke into laughter.

Aaron: *Smiles* we are so stubborn

Gui Gui: Yea… Anyway, no matter what, I should give you a treat. As a gratitude for saving me.

Aaron: All right…if you insist *Smiles*

Gui Gui blushes: You know what?

Aaron: Yea?

Gui Gui: I think you are my lucky star.

Aaron: Why do you say so?

Gui Gui: I just have the feeling… *Smiles*

Gui Gui POV: Because I read my horoscope for yesterday and it says that my lucky star would save me when I’m in trouble. If that’s true…then you must be my Lucky Star…

Just then, Chun enters into the room.

Chun: Gui Gui.

Gui Gui: Hey Chun!

Gui Gui turns to Aaron: Aaron, this is Chun, my superior.

Aaron: Hi, I’m Aaron, nice to meet you. *Smile*

Chun: Hi, I’m Chun.

Chun did not return the smile. He was feeling weird and uncomfortable…probably because he just saw the scene he dislikes.

Chun POV: Gui Gui… I had never seen you blushing in front of a guy. Have you fallen for Aaron? Then what about me…
---------------------------------------------------------