Chapter 9

In Between

 

Blessing In Disguise

He held on to the bouquet of flowers tightly so as to relive his nervousness.

Ah Ben: Relax! It’s after all, MY date. Right?

Aaron: But..But I…

Ah Ben: But…you like her…

Aaron: Yea…*quickly corrects himself* No! I didn’t…I mean I don’t…

Ah Ben teases: So does that mean…she can keep me company by being a spirit then?

Aaron: *Exclaims* What? Hell no!

Ah Ben: *laughs* I’m only joking…See for yourself, you like her. Don’t deny it. Grab the chance while you can…don’t regret it, like me…

Aaron: *frowns slightly* Ah Ben…

Aaron suddenly recalled what Danson said- ‘when you meet your love of your life…you would never ever let go of her again and you would treasure her with all your might’.

Ah Ben is spot on. Aaron knew that. But something is pulling him back.

Aaron POV: I am not a ‘normal’ person. I can’t give her peace and quiet with all these spirits wandering around, giving me tasks. Am I fit to like her…to be her special one?

Aaron sighs: Forget it…today is your date, not mine…
Ah Ben: *excited* Hey, she’s here! She looks so cute in that white dress!

Aaron couldn’t agree more.

Aaron POV: She looks gorgeous…sweet and cute…

Gui Gui smiles as she approach Aaron.

Gui Gui: Hi…

Aaron: Hi *Smiles*

Silence prevails.

Ah Ben: What are you doing? Speak!!! *Scolds Aaron*
Aaron snaps back to reality: *hands her the flower* this is for you.

Gui Gui: *smiles shyly* Thanks…

Aaron: Hungry?

Gui Gui: Yea…

Gui Gui and Aaron POV: Oh my god, this is so weird!
Aaron POV: What should I do now? My heart is pumping so hard!

Gui Gui: He gave me flowers! Will he hold my hand next?

----At a Restaurant----

Both of them ate their meal quietly, with a blanket of awkwardness hovering over them. Aaron did not know what to say and Gui Gui did not know how to break the silence.

Aaron POV: Please don’t tell me that we are going to continue the rest of the meal in this state! How I wish there is something to break the ice…

Just then, as if to fulfil Aaron’s wish, Gui Gui called out.

Gui Gui: Hey you!

Aaron was taken aback by this sudden gesture.

Aaron POV: Huh? What happened?

Aaron’s question was answered in no time as Gui Gui rushed out of the restaurant, in pursue of a pickpocket who had just stolen a lady’s wallet.

Aaron foot the bill hurriedly and rushed out of the restaurant, following Gui Gui.

Aaron called out: Gui Gui! Gui Gui!

Aaron POV: I don’t need this to break the ice between us!

Within seconds, he spotted two figures, struggling in the back alley.

Aaron ran in while calling out for her.

As he got nearer, he could spot Gui Gui.

She was trying her very best to subdue the culprit. With a kick, the man fell on his back and Gui Gui took this chance to cuff his hands.

However, just when Aaron thought that everything was over, the pickpocket wriggled free from Gui Gui before she had a chance to fully hand cuff him.

Without warning, the guy rushes towards Aaron and grabs hold of him as hostage.

Gui Gui took out her gun and ordered: Let go of him now!

The Guy: *took out a pocket knife* Don’t come any closer or I will slash his throat!

Gui Gui: Don’t be rash! Let him go and I will not nab you.

The Guy: Cops are all liars!

He got agitated and his knife cut deeper into Aaron’s throat, leaving a thin streak of blood behind.

Aaron remained calm and he tries not to make any big movements or the knife might cut straight into his trachea.

Gui Gui: I’m not lying! *puts down her gun* See? I’m fulfilling my promise now…

The thief starts to believe Gui Gui. He loosens his grip as he backed out of the alley.

Step by step, Gui Gui follows them closely, fearing for Aaron’s safety.

At the mouth of the back alley, the thief pushes Aaron towards Gui Gui and took off.

Gui Gui looks at Aaron who is lying on her lap: Aaron! *worried* Are you all right?

Aaron looks back at her tears-filled eyes and coughs slightly: I’m fine. *forcing a smile to assure her*

Doctor: All right, just a gentle slash. Luckily it didn’t go deep.

Aaron: *smiles* Thanks

Gui Gui was waiting outside, in the A&E department.

Aaron called out once he spotted her: Gui Gui

Gui Gui: Aaron! Are you all right?

Aaron smiles: I’m fine, really.

Gui Gui: It’s all my fault…

Aaron: No its not! My reaction was as slow as a tortoise.

Gui Gui smiles: No….

Aaron: It’s good that you are smiling. I don’t like your worrisome look. Let’s go.

With that, he grabs Gui Gui hand and lead her out of the hospital.

Gui Gui POV: He’s holding my hand!

Aaron POV: She didn’t resist…does that mean….

Just then, Ah Ben appeared out of nowhere: Hey! Are you all right?!

Aaron glares at him and mutters: Where were you?!

Gui Gui: Huh?

Aaron: *smiles awkwardly* Nothing.

Ah Ben: Sorry….I couldn’t help you guys. I can’t touch anything….

Aaron’s glare softens and he felt sorry for Ah Ben: I’m sorry.

Ah Ben: No…it’s not your fault. I should get going now….Aaron, thanks for your help. It may not be the perfect date, but it meant a lot to me.

Aaron smiled and nodded. With that, Ah Ben disappears into thin air.

Just then Gui Gui stopped her pace and wriggles her hand free from Aaron.

Gui Gui: I should be the one apologizing.

She had mistaken that the ‘sorry’ that Aaron said was meant for her.

Gui Gui looks at Aaron deeply: I’m sorry…I always got you into trouble. I always land you into some kind of mishap. You are my lucky star but I’m not yours. I’m your bad luck charm. You get into a mess whenever you are with me…

Aaron interrupts her and says simply: *softly* Gui Gui, I don’t need a good luck charm…I just need you…

Nothing seems to matter to Aaron now. Nothing except Gui Gui. He don’t care if he isn’t ‘normal’, he just wanna hold her tightly. Each and every emotion that Aaron felt for Gui Gui seems to gush out uncontrollably.

With that, Aaron bends down and plants a kiss on her forehead.

Gui Gui looks at him: Aaron…I….

Aaron: Not enough?

Gui Gui: Huh?

Without warning, Aaron gave Gui Gui another kiss, this time, on the lips. His lips captured hers in a kiss that left no room for coherent thoughts. Gui Gui was totally subdued by this perfect kiss…

Just then, someone clears his throat.

Aaron’s lips parts from Gui Gui.

Gui Gui POV: Why does everyone likes to interrupt us?!

George: I didn’t know you guys were progressing so quickly.

Gui Gui POV: Oh my god! I totally forgot about George! I informed him that Aaron was in the hospital… This is so embarrassing!

Aaron and Gui Gui blushed at the same time.

Aaron: *smiles* we…

George: *cheeky* let’s divert our attention away from this awkward topic.

Gui Gui spotted a girl standing beside George: George! You have gotten yourself a date too!

George laughs and explains hurriedly: No! This is our new intern, from Persley University.

The girl smiles sweetly. She has big round eyes and long eye lashes. Her succulent lips are so seducing even Gui Gui envies her for that.

She spoke gently and clearly: Hi, I’m Rainie…

-----------------------------------------------------------