Chapter 16

In Between

 

Friends or Foes

Aaron did not know what to say or do, mainly because of what happened yesterday-Rainie forced a kiss on him.

He was afraid that Gui Gui would mistaken him for cheating on her but he can’t bear lying to Gui Gui. After all, Rainie would definitely spill the beans.

Rainie: Yea…we…

Without giving Rainie a chance to speak and possibly distort facts, Aaron pulled Gui Gui out of the office quickly.

Rainie watched as the couple left the office.

Rainie: You are lucky this time, Gui Gui. You won’t be that lucky the next time....

Aaron pulled Gui Gui into the lift and pressed for the rooftop.

Gui Gui was puzzled: What happened, Aaron? Why did you leave Rainie behind before she had the chance to answer my question?

Aaron took in a deep breath: Gui Gui…that’s because I don’t want her to distort any facts and affect us.

Gui Gui was even more confused: Why would she do that?

Aaron: Because…because she…likes me…

Gui Gui looked at Aaron and she finds it hard to swallow the fact.

She then asked: Do you like her?

Aaron: I only treated her as a friend!

Gui Gui then smiled: Since this is the case, why are you being so uptight?

Aaron: Because…something happened…

Aaron then plucked up his courage and explained everything to Gui Gui, including the forced kiss.

-----5 minutes later--------

At the Roof Top

Aaron: It still hurts, you know.

Gui Gui: *Smiles* I know. I’m sorry.

Aaron: No, it’s my punishment for not drawing a clear line between me and Rainie.

Gui Gui: Yea, but when I heard about the kiss, I punched you so hard on your wound that your cries filled the lift. And I’m sure someone would have thought we had an accident of some kind. *laughs*

Aaron: I’m happy so long you don’t misunderstand me. I struggled for a long time, because I didn’t know how to tell you.

Gui Gui: Sometimes, the truth is just good enough.

Gui Gui smiles and gives him a peck on the cheek.

Aaron: That’s all?

Gui Gui: Yea…before you sanitize your lips, I wouldn’t kiss it cos Rainie kissed it.

Aaron: But I did brush my teeth this morning! *argues*

Gui Gui: No more arguments *laughs* Don’t make me autoclave your lips!

Aaron: Autoclave?! That is gonna kill my lips! Are you sure you are going to do that? *cheeky smile*

Gui Gui: Yea I am. *jokes*

Without warning, Aaron tickles Gui Gui right in the spot where she feels the most ticklish and soon they were both engaged in ‘game’ of chasing and tickling….
-----------------------------------------------------------

Rainie: Why did you do that?

She asked angrily as she walked towards her. Its nightfall and they are the only two there, at the docks.

‘I don’t want you to make any mistakes that you would regret later.’ Selina said calmly while keeping her silver dagger after vaporizing a spirit.

Rainie: I won’t regret. This is the only way to make Aaron…

Selina interrupts: This is not the only way! You can’t take lives as and when you like it. We vaporize spirits, not kill humans!

Rainie: You know I have liked Aaron since young.

Selina: But as I have said, it was so long he wouldn’t remember you! After all, he would only remember saving a little girl from an angry spirit that’s all! It is of no valuable memory to him!

Rainie says sternly: It’s important to me.

Selina: No matter what, you guys cannot be together. Even if you want to make him love you, you shouldn’t resort to such extreme methods.

Rainie: Whatever it is, I just wanna ask you one question.

Selina: What is it?

Rainie: Are you going to be my friend or foe?

Selina: Rainie…please don’t make me choose.

Rainie: No! It’s you who forced me into asking this…

Selina sighs: No matter what, I will stop you when you step out of the line.

Rainie: Then you shall be my foe from now on.

Selina: Rainie…you can’t act alone.

Rainie: Who says I’m acting alone?

Without another word, Rainie took off, leaving Selina behind.

Selina felt very troubled. She wondered if she had done the right thing.

Selina: Rainie….we used to be best friends, best sisters, and best partners…now, I have become your foe just because I want to fulfill my place as your friend….
-----------------------------------------------------------