Chapter 12

In Between

 

Missing Spirit

Chun: What’s the outcome? Suicide or murder?

George: It’s murder. The corpse had been soaked in the water for two days. Useful evidence had most likely been washed away. Furthermore, the corpse’s nails had been washed with bleach so all the tissue compositions that might have belonged to the murderer were all destroyed.

Chun: I hope this is not the start of a serial killing.
George: I don’t know if it is, but the victim being a female, most likely is one of those cases.

Chun: and kill?

George: That is my initial guess. New clues might surface when we do further tests back in the laboratory and the mortuary.

Rainie: George! I found something.

George: What’s that?

Rainie: A piece of cloth, with a symbol on it.

George: Might be vital evidence. Bag that.

Rainie: Ok. *took out a Ziploc bag and carefully place the evidence inside*

George: All right, all the evidence had been taken. I hope I can find out more evidence in the lab.

Chun: Thanks George.

George: Welcome. *Smile*

Rainie: George, I think I should stay back.

George: Why?

Rainie: I reckon it’s safer to scrutinize the area once more just in case we left out some evidence.

George: Hmmm, all right. I should get back to the mortuary.

Rainie: Ok. *smiles*

Chun: You have got yourself a hardworking intern!

George: Yea *smiles*. Rainie…

Rainie: Yea?

George: Be careful.

Rainie: Thanks *smile*

Chun: Don’t worry, I will still be here for a while.

George: Thanks.

---------10 minutes later-----------

Chun: Any new clues?

Rainie: Not yet…

Chun: I guess all of them had been taken back. George is a meticulous person. He hardly leaves any clues behind.

Rainie: Well, take it as I’m skiving here. *smiles*

Chun: *laughs* George is lucky to have you as his assistant.

Rainie: So…where’s your assistant? *hidden agenda*

Chun: Gui Gui? She’s always missing….and she will come jumping out of nowhere, with a gust of strength and energy to solve cases. *Smiles as he speaks*

Rainie: I think she’s with Aaron now.

Chun sighs and kept quiet; his smile disappeared.

Rainie: You like her. Don’t you…

Chun: *surprise* What? How…

Rainie: My instinct. I got it right. *Smiles*

Chun: *frowns* That’s not important.

Rainie: It is important. I can help you.

Chun: *lifts an eyebrow* Help me?

Rainie: Yea…*Smiles sweetly*
----------------------------------------------------------

At the mortuary

George sighs: Why isn’t there any concrete evidence of the murderer?

Just then, Aaron came in: George!

George: *Sighs* Where have you been. I had been trying to contact you since we received a case this afternoon.

Aaron: Sorry. Gui Gui sprained her ankle and I had to send her home before I come. My cell phone must have run out of battery.

George: Is she all right now?

Aaron: Yea, she’s resting at home. What case do we have here?

George: Victim, female. Found at the river bank this afternoon, murdered two days ago.

Aaron: Murdered? Any evidence found in relation to the murderer?

George: Most of the evidence had been washed away due to the river drift since the corpse had been floating in the water for 2 days. Even the most reliable evidence-tissue composition in nails of the victim, had been destroyed by bleach.

Aaron: The murderer must be bent on killing her.

George: Initial suspicion is that the victim was before being murdered. But right now, after looking at the corpse and all the evidence, it seems like the murderer had this planning for a while.

Aaron: Could it be revenge killing? Or serial killing?
George: We can deny the second guess right now as we have only one victim for now. As for revenge killing….possible. Look at this cloth.

Aaron scrutinizes it carefully: This symbol…perhaps it belongs to a triad?

George: Possible. *sighs* This is gonna be a difficult case. Countless sleepless night is gonna come!

Aaron smiles: I know… *sighs* but that’s what we do, right?

George: Yea…I got to go to the lab to get the chemical analysis results of the evidence collected.

Aaron: Ok sure. *Wearing gloves* I shall continue your work here.

George: Ok thanks!

With that, George left the office, heading towards the laboratory on another level.

Aaron POV: Hmmm…according to normal situation…she should appear now.

Aaron looks around. The office is dead quiet.

He takes the file of the victim.

Aaron: Name of victim, Sonia Sui (隋堂), 28 years old, studied in Poland, Canada and Taiwan before. Came back to Taiwan 5 years ago…

Aaron: Hmmm… *thoughtful* Where is she? Why isn’t her spirit appearing yet?

Aaron waited for the whole day but to no avail. Sonia did not appear.

Aaron sits on the sofa: *Sighs* What is happening?

Little did he know that someone had spoke to Sonia’s spirit before he had the chance to do so. And that person has a different agenda as compared to Aaron….
-----------------------------------------------------------