Chapter 1

In Between

 

The Victim

‘Did you note down what I said just now?’ George looks at the handsome chap, standing a foot away from him, expressionless.

George: I understand that it’s hard for you to go through this. After all, this is just your first day. I didn’t expect to have a case right now, in the morning.

Just then, the handsome young man spoke calmly and clearly.

’10cm long cut at the throat, believed to be the cause of death. Bruises found on both hands, believed to be caused before the victim died. Same for both legs. Victim believed to have suffered from severe head injuries before death. Victim violated before death as explained by the blood at the l region. She was a . What a brutal killer.’

George stares at him in awe: You are a genius, Aaron Yan.

Aaron gave him a small smile: It’s my job, Dr Hu.

George offers a handshake after taking off his gloves: Call me George.

Aaron returns the shake: I’m Aaron Yan, from Jolana University…

George continues for him: Scholarship holder of Forensics Science Studies, award winner of Research in Haematology, Forensics analysis and more.

Aaron smiles shyly. He is used to praises but he still blushes every time he is being praised. Aaron could tell that George is a good Forensic scientist and he admires his abilities. He hopes to learn from him.

George: All right, now we have to collect some samples of the victim for future reference. You know what, Aaron?

Aaron: Yes?

George: I always hated typing reports *grins widely*

Aaron returns the smile: I can do it if you want.

George: Hmmm, sounds like I’m skiving but, I’m still going to let you do it because I’m going to get us some breakfast. Be back in a jiffy.

Aaron: Take your time.

Within seconds, Aaron was left alone, in the room. The room is clean and sparsely decorated. Aaron could sense that this is the place where he can exerts his skills and explore his interest in forensics.

He looks at the victim lying on the table. She looks beautiful.

Aaron walk towards the table: Don’t worry, I will help you find the murderer.

‘I can help’ someone spoke. But to be exact, something spoke.
--------------------------------------------------------

Aaron looked across the room and he saw the victim. But it is her spirit.

Aaron POV: I almost forgot I could see spirits.
She walks towards her slowly and elegantly: Hi, I am Angela.

Aaron: I’m Aaron…

He did not know what to say. He had seen spirits before but they don’t appear everywhere. They don’t like crowd, but Aaron does. Probably because he wants to avoid seeing them.

Angela: You are afraid of me.

Aaron was taken aback by the accurate comment: I…I just don’t know how to communicate with you.

Angela: I’m sorry if I startled you. I just need help and you are the only one I can turn to.

Aaron: I know and I feel sorry for you. I’m just not comfortable with speaking to…to…

Angela: Ghosts

Aaron: I prefer calling you a spirit. It sounds nicer.

Angela: *Smiles* Thanks. Who would think of still getting respect when one becomes a ghost? Thank you, Aaron.

Aaron just smiles.

Angela: Aaron, I heard your conversation with the other guy. You know how I died, don’t you?

Aaron tries to be more tactful: Yea…are we right?

Angela starts to sob: Yes…I never thought I would end up like this….

Aaron walks towards Angela, intending to pat her shoulder but his hand fell right through her.

Angela: I can’t touch anything and you can’t touch me too. I’m not a matter.

With that, she cries harder.

Aaron was puzzled, some of the spirits he saw could get hold of things and even play pranks but, why can’t Angela?

Aaron POV: Perhaps because she is a ‘new’ spirit…she have not collected enough ‘strength and power’ to summon energy…

This was, however, just his guess. He don't know if he's right and there is no one to share his thoughts with. After all, his friends are all 'normal'.

Aaron: Don’t worry; we will nab this guy sooner or later! You just have to tell me how he looks like.

Angela: But I don’t know. I was at the pub one moment and the other moment, I find myself in pain, and that…..that horrible scourge was on top of me, hitting me, and….I can’t continue. It was so dark and I couldn’t see how he looks like.

Aaron POV: She’s such a poor soul. I must get to the bottom of this!

Aaron: Don’t worry. Just tell me what happened that night and I will do my best to find him out.

Angela: Thanks Aaron. Yesterday night, I went to a pub named ‘Starry night’ with my group of friends. We were partying as usual.

Aaron: Nothing special happened?

Angela: One guy came over to our table and asked me to dance. We had a great time together but then he started to everywhere and I couldn’t stand him so I pushed him away and he scolded me a before scattering away.

Aaron: What’s his name?

Angela: Calvin. I can’t think of anyone who would do such horrible things except him. Aaron, I think he’s the one.
Aaron: Ok, anything else you wanna tell me?

Angela: I can’t remember most part of it; I think I need some rest.

Aaron: ok….

Within a second, she disappeared.

Aaron wonders how and where she rests.

He walks towards Angela’s corpse, hoping to find more clues. He took the chemical report that was sent from the haematology department, hoping to find more clues from there.

Within a couple of seconds, he found something suspicious and he confirmed that that was the reason why Angela couldn’t remember most of what happened that night.

He grabs the file and walk towards the door, heading to the cafeteria to find Geroge. However, before he has the chance to get to the door, it swung open and knocked into Aaron with a loud bang.

Instantly, he was knocked onto the floor.

Aaron: Ouch!

‘I’m sorry!’ Aaron could only hear someone apologize just before he lost consciousnesses.
-----------------------------------------------------------