The Path

Timeless Love

Ji Yeon walked through the market as she had just finished with the preparations for the wedding. Hyung Sik didn’t even show up during the preparation. He must have went to look for Soo Jin. Ji Yeon pouted to herself and let out a sigh. The hot steam of food in the market stalls drew her attention. She turned to look at the fishcake and dumplings, swallowing her saliva as the broth boiled.

You know what? Forget them.

“Ahjumma, can I get some fishcakes and dumplings?” She asked. She smiled happily and her lips as the food came. “Thank you!” She then gobbled it down as she blew away the hot steam.

“Mmm. This is delicious!” She thumbs up at the old lady. “Can I get some more?”

“Of course,” she gave Ji Yeon another batch.

“Oh, you look familiar.” Ji Yeon said, “Such nice skin.”

The old lady shy back, “Oh my, what sweet mouth you have.”

“It’s true.” Ji Yeon smiled. “You look like Song Ji Hyo, the famous actress/model.” The old lady’s face turn grim as Ji Yeon continue eating.

“O-oh, really?” her voice sounding weak.

“Really.” Ji Yeon continue to eat.

She was on her way throughout the market, trying out foods and buying so many materials. When she was done shopping, she was really full and had more than she could carry. She was on her way to her car as she saw a glimpse of Hyung Sik. She put the things in her car to only see him disappear with bags of food. Out of curiosity, she decided to follow him.

Where is he going with all that? She trailed him like a mouse, hiding behind a tree and saw bird poop splatter right before her and she moved quickly.

Hyung Sik turned to look as he heard her yelp but she quickly turned around and act like she was busy. He turned back and continue his own way as she turn around to quickly follow him again. She hid behind a car, touching it slightly, it beeped out of nowhere and Ji Yeon jumped in shock. Beep beep beep! Ji Yeon ran back as the owner came out of the shop to see who the thief was. Hyung Sik turn to see who it was too.

Embarrassed she trailed after him again and act as if nothing happened. But he was gone so she started running forward. Suddenly, he popped out of the side of the wall, making her scream as she collided into his arms.

He held onto her shoulders and helped her balance.

“You scared me to death.”

“I should be the one saying that.” He let go of her as she fixed her clothes. “Why were you following me?” Ji Yeon tried to look away and find an excuse.

“Uh…. Oh, I wasn’t following you. I was shopping at the market.” He only looked at her suspiciously. “Really. I just put them in the car.”

“Oh really?” He observed her fidgety fingers as she gave him the most innocent look. “So your car was the one that started beeping huh?” Ji Yeon scratched her head and gave him an awkward smile.

“Tsk,” he clicked his tongue at her and went behind the wall. “If you’re going to follow me then carry these.” He handed the bags of food to Ji Yeon.

“Who said I want to follow you?” Ji Yeon quickly interjected and crossed her arms.

****

Ji Yeon dragged her feet behind Hyung Sik as he led the way.

“Quickly, if you walk any slower it will be night fall.” Hyung Sik complained.

“Just how far are you going?”

“Follow me and you’ll know.”

Ji Yeon made faces behind him and wanted to throw the bags at him but it would be a waste of food. She took a deep breath and continued walking.

After 15 to 20 minutes, they finally reached a long house building. The outside was nicely furnished and there were flower pots along the entrance. Ji Yeon couldn’t deny it, although it was not all glams, it was very cozy.

‘Sunshine Orphanage’

Why were they at an orphanage? They entered the entrance as Ji Yeon trailed behind Hyung Sik.

“Excuse me-“

“Appa!” “Hyung!” “Oppa!” a group of children ran to hug Hyung Sik. They surrounded Hyung Sik and giggled happily.

“Aigoo.” Hyung Sik squatted and hug the children . He picked up the younger child, around 3 years old and carried him.

Ji Yeon was really surprised, as she had never seen Hyung Sik around children before. She just stood frozen with agape. Then she felt something pulling on the brim of her sweater. She looked down to see a little girl, around 2 years old looking up at her. Her eyes were big as s

her hair was tied in two pigtails with her short hair pointing up.

Ji Yeon bent down, letting go of the grocery bags, the little girl let go of her sweater and put her hand in . The little girl look at her as they were face to face. Her heart soften as the little girl only stared at her.

“Omma?” The baby girl mumbled. Ji Yeon’s heart glide.

“Nneh?”

“Omma…” The little girl smile widely at her. Ji Yeon nodded and raise her hand to pat the girl’s head.

Hyung Sik shadowed over them with the children behind him.

“Are you going to stay in that spot all day?” He asked her with the obvious sarcasm in his voice. The little girl walked to Hyung Sik and hugged his leg.

“Appa…” She tugged on his pants. He bent down and let the boy in his arms stand. He patter her head and smiled softly.

“How is my little angel?” He made a face and tried to act cute.

“Food…” She looked at him with her big dolly eyes.

“Aww, our Minnie is hungry?” He cooed her as he rubbed his stomach in exaggeration. The little girl nodded in response.

“Omma…?” She pointed at Ji Yeon.

“Oh, that’s not your mommy.” The little girl’s face sadden and pouted. “Let’s go eat first okay? Appa brought a lot of food. Appa is hungry.” He reached out and held the little girl’s hand and the boy’s hand. “Come on children. Minwoo and Joon help carry the rest inside.” Just as he was about to go inside, he turned around and noticed Ji Yeon still standing in the same place. “Palli.” He urged her and went inside with the children.

“Ugh,” she gagged as he tried to act cute in front of the children and rude towards her. “I’m gonna Hwak!” She stopped as the two boys look at her weirdly. “Hi…” She awkwardly waved as they only slightly bow and carry the bags inside. She scratched her head and carried the bags behind them.

The dining room, instead of sitting in long tables, There was a long short table for all the children to sit together. Hyung Sik sat the two kids down and ordered the children to place the food around the table as Ji Yeon helped.

“Let’s eat!” Hyung Sik excitedly said. The children cheered and started eating. Ji Yeon can only see the children eat carefully, not trying to spill anything, although they were eating fast. “Don’t eat so fast, the food is not going to run away.”

One of the children started choking beside Ji Yeon, she quickly patted the 8 year olds back and gave him a bottle of water.

“Thank you.” he whispered before eating again. Ji Yeon looked at the children around the table. She felt bad for them, the youngest was around 2 years old and the oldest around 17. She let out a long sigh, gathering Hyung Sik’s attention.

“What’s wrong?” He looked over at her as he was in the middle of feeding the two kids.

“Nothing.” she shook her head.

“Are you hungry?” He asked as she shook her head again. “Come help me feed the kids then.” Ji Yeon was delighted and ran to sit beside them and fed the little girl as some food got on her bib. While feeding her, Ji Yeon sees the little girl looking up at her smiling widely and glowing as her cheeks plump adorably.

“What’s your name?” Ji Yeon cooed as Hyung Sik turn to look at her, hearing her talking cutely for the first time too.

“Minnie.” She smiled and ate the food from the spoon in one bite.

“Minnie? How cute.” Ji Yeon smiled as the little girl just smiled at Ji Yeon with her teeth showing. “Aigoo,” She softly rubbed her cheek.

After eating, the children cleaned up and they washed the dishes as Ji Yeon tried to help out too. Hyung Sik and Ji Yeon were busy drying the dishes and putting them away. Hyung Sik turned to put the dishes in the cabinet as turned to Ji Yeon as she carried the last batch to Hyung Sik. They high fived as they finished putting everything away.

Ji Yeon and Hyung Sik looked away, realizing that they were being intimate in front of the children.

They sat on the porch as the children played ball on the field, running around, and doing their homework beside them. Hyung Sik brought them drinks and sat beside Ji Yeon as he stretched. She looked at him yawning and stretching, how disturbing. She gulped down her drink and looked at the children. They look so happy and free. So dreamy…

A white shirt flew over her head. She quickly pull it away as she sees Hyung Sik taking off his clothes. She covered her eyes immediately.

“W-What are you doing!?”

“Taking off my clothes.” Ji Yeon peeked through the gaps of her hands and jaw drops as she sees him taking off his pants in the open space.

“Yah!” Hyung Sik stood in front of her and grabbed her hand, with her other hand covering her eyes. “What-“

“Open your eyes.” He ordered but she didn’t immediately. “Can you please move your hand away so you can see clearly?” Ji Yeon slowly removed her hand to see them in front of a basket of sheets.

“What’s this?” She pointed to the basket.

“We’re going to do some laundry.”

“What?!”

“It’ll be a waste to just sit all day and do nothing.”

Ji Yeon rolled her eyes at him as he ordered her to help him laundry. She was rolled up her pants as she changed into a set of baggy pants.

“Stomp harder so all the dirt will come out.” Hyung  Sik called behind her.

“I am!” She replied annoyingly. “You’re not even doing anything.”

“I’m supervising you, that’s what I’m doing.” He said as put the white sheets on the laundry line.

“That- ugh.” She complained to herself over and over again but she fell back as she slip. She shut her eyes as she was falling back, preparing to hit the ground. She squinted her eyes to see Hyung Sik’s face looking at her. The sun was behind him, like an angel. or just like Choi Jin Hyuk in her dreams.

“Do I look that dashing?” Hyung Sik smiled. Ji Yeon nodded her head as she was still in awe.

“Nneh.”

“Really?”

“Nneh-“ Then she realized what she had said and quickly remove herself from his grasp. “A-Ani! What are you saying?” Hyung Sik only chuckled and crossed his arms.

Ji yeon quickly started washing the laundries as she stomped on them over and over again. Then she felt someone behind her.

“What are you-“

Hyung Sik stood behind her as he helped her stomp on the clothes and sheets. Her heart started beating fast as she felt his rock solid body against her back. She could feel his breath tickling her ear as he lean over and help her.

“Helping you of course.” He said as he wore a small smile.

Ji Yeon’s heart started beating fast as she felt him try to put a little gap between them. She felt his hands wrap around her as he almost fell and she leaned forward to help him from falling back.

Thump, thump, thump. Ji Yeon and Hyung Sik both froze as he back hugged her.

*Flashback

Soo Jin back hugged Hyung Sik at the fountain.

*Flashback

Ji Yeon quickly tugged his hands away from her and got out of the tub of clothes.

“You ert!” She ran away quickly.

“Y-yah.” Hyung Sik tried to call her and rubbed his forehead. “Why did I do that?” He lightly kick the tub. “Why did I have to lose balance huh?” He turned to get out and slipped inside the tub. “Ah!”

Ji Yeon rushed inside the house and leaned on the wall. She peeked at Hyung Sik who tried to get up and change the water for the clothes. She turn back around and held her chest and gulped.

“No way.” She shook her head, “You can’t like him. He has Soo Jin unnie. After the news died for a while, you will divorce him.” But it made her kind of sad as she tried to reassure herself. She pulled her hair in frustration and peeked at him again. “But he’s so handsome though…”

“Ahem.”

Ji Yeon turned around to see another man looking at him. Sung Joon, the one at the bar and fashion show last night. She lightly bowed to him as he did the same.

“What are you doing here?” He asked.

“Oh, I… um… Hyung Sik…”

He looked behind her and saw Hyung Sik putting up the clothes on the laundry line. He chuckled a little as he smirked at her. He walked passed her.

damn he was cute too, more manly than Hyung Sik as he was a few centimeters taller too. He stopped and turn back to her.

“Don’t just stand there and peek, follow me. Sister in law.” He emphasized then smile, walked to Hyung Sik. Ji Yeon cringe as she remember he was there when she declared that she was Hyung Sik’s wife.

Why did I do that? Stupid me.

Ji Yeon lowered her head as she dragged her feet after him.

“Oi, what are you doing mister president?” Sung Joon called out. Hyung Sik look behind him and saw Sung Joon with Ji Yeon behind. She was walking mindlessly and bumped into Sung Joon’s back.

“Yah!” Hyung Sik yelled at her.

I’m deep sh*t now.

She raised her head to see him staring right at her confused.

“I’m sorry, I was daydreaming.” She quickly apologize.

Sung Joon looked at her intensely as she cowered her head down. “Gwenchana?”

She shot her head up, “Nneh?”

“Your head.” He nodded at her.

“Uh… yeah. I’m sorry.” He only smiled and turn to face Hyung Sik who was rather grumpy, already clenching the sheet in his hands. He smirked and turn back to Ji Yeon. “Next time, watch where you’re going okay?” He smiled gently before leaving her alone and went to Hyung Sik.

Ji Yeon scratched her head and cursed herself over and over again. Hyung Sik glared at sung Joon who stopped in front of him.

“Change your clothes, we have to talk.” Sung Joon informed him and turned away as soon as he got Hyung Sik’s spot. Hyung Sik kept his eyes on Sung Joon and glared at Ji Yeon before throwing the sheet on the line.

Ji Yeon was about to walk away when Hyung Sik grabbed her back collar shirt. She turned her head to face him slowly. His eyes were a bit frightening as he only glared at her.

“What?” she whispered. He threw a sheet in her arms and walked away. She stumble back and glared at him. “Aish that little-“

Sung Joon was sitting on the bench as he watched the little kids and caretakers oversee them. Hyung Sik sat beside him after changing to his clothes again.

“What did you want to say?” Hyung Sik asked as he button his dress shirt sleeve.

“Have you talked to Soo Jin yet?” Sung Joon asked.

“About what?”

“Your marriage.” Hyung Sik froze but then continue his own thing.

“I did.”

“Did she say anything?”

“Nothing much.”

“Really?”

“Why?” Hyung Sik asked. Sung Joon turned to face him.

“She called me last night to say that she is going to take a vacation for a month.” Hyung Sik didn’t say anything and finished dressing himself. “And to not contact her for a while.”

“What kind of crap are you saying?”

“That’s why I’m asking you if something happened last night.” Hyung Sik look away as Sung Joon replied.

“About the wedding, do you have to do it?” Sung Joon asked again. “I know that you like Soo Jin as a woman. But she only sees you as a brother.”

“I know.”

“Is that why you’re getting married or is it because of the news only?”

Hyung Sik shot up at him.

“Or is it because you like her?” Sung Joon gestured toward Ji Yeon who was finishing up the laundry.

“What makes you think that?”

“You’re a Casanova… But you never settle. So why are you settling with her?”

“Do we really have to talk about this now? Especially here?” Hyung Sik complained. Sung Joon only observed him.

“From what I see,” Sung Joon seriously look at him, “You are mistaking your sibling love for her as real love.”

(Listen to: The Path by Kim Yoo Nah)

Ji Yeon finished the workload and was walking to the area they were at.

“What are you saying?”

“If you really love Soo Jin, you would never settle down with Ji Yeon.”

Ji Yeon stopped her steps as she over heard them.

“What makes you think I don’t love her?”

“Because you’re wavering Hyung Sik. If you were just you, you would deny the rumors and reject her. But you didn’t.”

“Look,” he smiled arrogantly, “I do not have any feelings for that woman. We are going to divorce after the news died down and the contract with her model/actress job is over. I’m only marrying her to not torment her image.”

Ji Yeon, although knowing full will that was why, but hearing it was more painful than convincing herself about it.

“Also, we already made a contract not to get in each other’s business. This is just business, nothing special.”

Sung Joon stopped and just silently observed him. Hyung Sik whistled to himself as he sat looking at the kids. Ji Yeon walked back and turned around before walking away as she felt her face growing hot. She moved her feet and walked away.

“I don’t think so,” Sung Joon tilted his head, “That’s what you say, but that’s not what you want.”

“How would you know?” Hyung Sik chuckled.

“Because I do,” Sung Joon smiled, “Because I’m a psychiatrist, a doctor, and your friend. Because I’m your brother.” They smiled at each other as Sung Joon get up.

“Shut up,” Hyung Sik smiled. Sung Joon turn his head as he laugh to see Ji Yeon’s back as she walked further away. Her head cowered down and turned at the corner, disappearing. He stopped laughing and smiling.

“But I don’t think that she feels the same way you do.”

“What are you saying now doctor?”

Sung Joon shook his head and looked away to the kids. “Nothing. Look at them, they are just like us.” Hyung Sik nodded. Sung Joon bent and touched his knee.

*Flashback

Bones were cracking in the sack as Father Jo hit it with the club and blood spur out at the bottom. The world turn black and the sack finally open after it felt like forever. Hyung Sik and Soo Jin were the first ones he saw as they opened it.

“Don’t be afraid.” Soo Jin said.

“Sung Joon Hyung.” Hyung Sik cried.

Sung Joon rolled his eyes back as he tried to open his eyes. They pulled him out as he grunt in pain. The side of his head was bleeding and he exhaled and inhaled deeply. He held his knee as pain shot through his leg, the pain was coming back as it start to grow heavy and numb. He could barely get up as they put his arms over their shoulders to get out of that rotten place.

*Flashback

Sung Joon gripped his knee as he gritted his teeth. Hyung Sik noticed it and quickly swing his arm around Sung Joon’s neck.

“Wanna play ball with the kids?” Hyung Sik joked. “I bet you can’t beat me.”

They laughed around as they tried to keep up their smiles. But deep inside, they knew it. Sung Joon almost couldn’t walk after he was beaten half to death by Father Jo, the owner of their very first orphanage. It took months, almost years before Sung Joon could walk again. It was the greatest miracle.

They ran around the field with the kids as they passed around the ball. The outside is all smiles and glory. They wear brand name clothes, have brand name items, spend money as if it were leaves that grew on trees. Living their lives in the luxuries as many others called them conceited and unworthy of. But what they don’t know is that these men were more than worthy of it. They stepped on the ladder by themselves without anyone’s help. It wasn’t passed onto them, they earned it. Behind those smiles are scars and wounds, a helpless child looking for a place to call home and a person to call family.

****

Ji Yeon walked out of the orphanage as she was trembling. She had her things with her as she turn to look back at the orphanage. The giggles and laughs in the back made her heartache. She took a deep breath before walking away.

“Look,” he smiled arrogantly, “I do not have any feelings for that woman. We are going to divorce after the news died down and the contract with her model/actress job is over. I’m only marrying her to not torment her image.”

“Also, we already made a contract not to get in each other’s business. This is just business, nothing special.”

The words echoed in her ear as she walked faster away.

She bit her lips as started running. She didn’t know where she was going but she just ran, as long as she wasn’t there.

“I’m not alone, I have you.” He answered sadly and walked away to the fountain. Soo Jin followed behind and wrapped her arms around his back, back hug as he closed his eyes.

She stopped as she reached a playground after who knows how long. She bent down and held her knees. She felt a warm liquid fall down her face.

Tears. She moved her hand to wipe it away.

Why am I crying for you? You don’t love me. I don’t love you. We are only getting married for business. Nothing more, nothing less. But why does it hurt so much to hear it from you?

“You bad jerk.” Ji Yeon said as she cried quietly. She dug the ground and grabbed a handful of the pebbles. She got up and threw it in the air. “You *ssh*le! Who do you think you are huh?!” She screamed swears and curses at him but stopped as her voice grew weak.

She felt something fall on her head as she looked into the sky. It started to lightly rain.

Ji Yeon puffed her cheeks in disbelief and glared at the sky. “Why do you have to rain now of all times? Don’t make me look so pitiful will you? Please…” She looked down as the rain grew a bit heavier.

“Fine, just great. I look like a mess now,” She angrily glared at the sky, “How beautiful!” Suddenly the sky grew rumbling and a loud thunder sounded. Ji Yeon screamed and jumped at the sound. She ran to the playground and hid under the slide.

“I was just kidding, why so serious?” She whimpered. “AH!” as the thunder sounded again. She turned around to see a man sitting on the swing as he drenched in rain.

Huh? Why is he just sitting there? It’s raining so hard. But he looks kind of scary, should I call him?

“Ahjussi,” She tried to call him. Ji Yeon raised her hand to cover the rain from wetting her vision. “Ahjussi, it’s raining. You’re going to get sick.” He didn’t budge and only sat still. He looked a bit… pitiful.

It was a long 15 to 20 minutes as he let the rain soak him. Clearly he had a yellow umbrella beside him but he didn’t used it. Strange. Ji Yeon just observed him. He cowered his head down.

The thunder rumble again and she yelped in fear. She closed her eyes and covered her ears.

“Omma~” She started calling her mom like a little kid as the lightning flash.

Then she squinted her eyes open as she felt a dark shadow near her. The man from the slide was in front of her, squatting to her height as he looked at her. She could see the details of his face clearly now. A bit of facial hair grew, his eyes were big, cold, and emotionless, his hair was a bit long to his ears.

He was handsome, seems like a man in his 30s to 40s. But why was he in the rain? Ji Yeon backed a little as he was scaring her with his eyes darting straight at her. He reached his hand towards her.

“W-what are you doing?” She stuttered. Something about him felt dangerous and dark. “A-Ahjussi, what are you- ah!” Ji Yeon fell on her as she tried to back from him.

****

This is a dedication to the JiHyung couple :D sorry no spartace moments here :( I'll get to them soon

Who was the old lady? Who is the strange man? Can you guess? Pls comment, like :P see ya bunnies