Detach

Timeless Love

He handed her a marriage certificate. Ji Yeon held it in her hands, noticing that Hyung Sik had already signed it.

“A real marriage certificate?” Hyung Sik nodded and sipped his juice.

“Only on paper. We will support each other but never get in each other’s way when needed. I will not take advantage of you and neither will you.”

“Why don’t you just write a contract?”

“Tsk tsk… That’s too cliché.” He waved his finger at her. “I will record it instead.” he said as he took out his recorder that has been recording everything. “You, Lim Ji Yeon, and I, Park Hyung Sik, will be getting married. Our wedding will be announced in the public media as true love. We will be like lovers. After the marriage, we will go on a honeymoon right away to avoid paparazzi. There will also be guidelines. Number 1, you cannot ask my whereabouts and who I’m with. Act like you don’t see or hear anything.”

“You are really a Casanova huh?”

“Of course, no one can resist. Number 2, you will not embarrass me or cause any ruckus. Number 3, we will sleep in the same room but in different beds.”

“Who would want to sleep with you?”

“Just don’t crawl into my bed, begging for it.” Ji Yeon slammed her hand on the table, making him jump.

“Number 4, you cannot interfere with me either. I will be continuing my career.”

“Number 5, we will not conceive a child together at all.”

“Number 6, we must respect each other’s privacy, whether it is meeting a new lover.”

“You-“

“Hold on, add it to number one with number four. Number 5, we must keep this away from my parents, or else you can expect *Ji Yeon crosses a finger across her neck*.” Making him shudder.

“Number 6, we will speak nicely to each other.”

“Number 7, we will divorce when each of us has found a new lover.”

“With consent from both partners.” Hyung Sik added.

“Number 8, be nice to each other’s family.” Hyung Sik glanced at her as she stamped the marriage certificate. “Would you like to add anything else?”

But he didn’t answer her.

“There will be a penalty if each of us violate more than 3 of the above rules. Tell me your purpose for going on with this marriage. It is to save your Casanova face right?”

“It is to save both of our faces, idiot.”

“Violation of number 6. Right, you haven’t told me about your family yet. How many siblings do you have?”

“None.” He looked out the window as she was busy writing on a note pad.

“Cousins?”

“None.”

“What about Uncles and aunts? Grandparents? Your parents, what kind of person are they?”

“I said there is none!” He annoyingly shouted at her. She stopped writing as he shouted at her. She slowly looked up at him, she realized what he meant by none. He breathe in furiously and calm down. “Number 1 violation.” He announced before taking the marriage certificate and recorder off the table. “Get ready to try on the wedding dresses tomorrow after the press conference.” then he got out of the private lounge before Ji Yeon could say anything.

So… he’s an orphan… Ji Yeon scratched her head and headed out too. She felt bad for asking him so many questions.

*************************************************************************************

After the incident, Jong Kook has been extra careful and cautious about wherever Ji Hyo went. He was sure to be around her 24/7, even camping in her living room. Ji Hyo didn’t really think much as she was comfortable around Jong Kook.

Although it was uncomfortable at times when she wanted a break, she somehow grew fond of his caring and commanding character. He was respectful to her space was always sure to stay close by.

*********************************************************************************

Kye Sang has been feeling wearily as he notices Jong kook has been softer with his actions, his smiles curling up when he sees Ji Hyo and seeing them whispering fights back and forth. He felt his heart weakening, pained. He didn’t want to think about it, hoping it was not true. He decided to have a drink with Jong Kook.

“Hyung,”

“What?” Jong Kook coldly answers.

“Please help me.”

“Help what? I have been helping you.”

“Actually, I want to confess.”

“Atone your sins?” Jong Kook looked at the drink in his hand and touched his phone.

“I like Ji Hyo.”

“So?” Jong Kook knew about it already when Kye Sang asked him to protect Ji Hyo.

“I want to ask her out.” That caught Jong Kook’s attention, he gulped down the drink in his hand.

“Go ahead.” He poured more liquor for himself.

“But I need to confirm something first.” Jong Kook raised the cup to his lips, “Do you like her, Jong Kook Hyung?” Jong Kook stopped before swallowing the contents. He turned to see Kye Sang staring at him. They had a staring contest for a while before Jong Kook look away and finished the drink.

“No.” He hesitated before answering. Kye Sang’s smile curled up and he turned back to drinking too.

“I’m going to confess to her then.” Jong Kook just nodded. His phone ring as a text message came in.

“I’m leaving first then.” He got up and left. After a while someone else came inside and sat beside him.

“What’s wrong?” The female voice soothe him. Kye Sang’s eyes darted at the mirror in front of him across from the bar counter.

“He hesitated.” Kye Sang said, his face turning cold as he tried to let out a chuckle. “Do you think he likes her?”

“Who knows? Maybe he does, maybe he doesn’t.” she gulped down the drink his drink.

“What should I do if he does?” She gave no answer. “Do you think Ji Hyo likes him too? She’s been smiling from ear to ear with him more, more than the social smile she gives me?” She stayed silent which irritated him. “Answer me,” He demanded. Her eyes pierced into his as she let the cup down.

“Does she drive you crazy?”

“What?”

“Do you know her past? Her present? Do you exist in her eyes? Your worth, your efforts, your intentions? Have you tried showing it to her?”

Now that he thinks about it, he hadn’t really been clear with his actions.

“If you show them and they don’t see it then it means that they don’t like you. If there is a response then they do.” He peck her cheek.

“Thanks. Really, I mean it.”

“For what?”

“For always staying by my side and helping me. The treat is on me. Order whatever you want.” He smiled and held her hand. Then he left to take a call that interrupted them.

She sadly smiles at him. I like you, but why don’t you see my efforts? Am I really that much of a fool too? Her phone ring and answered it too.

“Hello Hyung Sik.”

“Yah Park Soo Jin, where are you?”

“I’m out.”

“Don’t stay out too late.” The man on the other end scolded her jokingly.

“You too.”

“Saranghae.” But she was quiet. “Aigoo, did you find someone else to love?”

“Hehe, saranghae. Pabo.” Then they hanged up.

Soo Jin plastered the fake smile when Kye Sang returned.

*************************************************************************************

Ji Hyo was waiting for Jong Kook to deliver her Americano in the middle of the night. The bell ring and she ran to the door. She stopped and made sure she looked nice before opening it. A grim Jong Kook stood there with her Americano.

“You are 26 minutes and 42 seconds late.” She stated while scrolling at her phone. Jong Kook just stared at her and handed the coffee towards her. “Why are you so late? The coffee must be cold now.” She didn’t take it.

“Take it or throw it away.” He seems a bit different today.

“Ani, get me a new one.” He then put it on the ground and walked away. “Yah Kim Jong Kook.” She ran after him and grabbed onto his arm. He forcefully pulls away.

“Please mind the distance between us Miss Song.”

“You are pretty formal today.”

“I don’t have time to play around with you.”

“Me neither.” She didn’t want to back down.

“What I mean is, leave me alone.”

“Leave you alone? I have never follow you around. It was you.”

“I’m being serious here.”

“As if I’m not?” Jong Kook moved toward her, darting threatening eyes at her.

“You’re not. Let me make it clear for you. Stop bothering me, I’m not fond of actresses, especially one like you. It is sickening.” He emphasized the last word in disgust. Ji Hyo felt really intimidated. How dare he say that to her? Did something happened? “Stop acting childish towards me. I hope this is clear enough to draw a boundary for us.”

He walked away from her, leaving her speechless, somehow his words hit her hard, stinging her.

“Did someone feed him icicles?” Ji Hyo questioned herself before going back inside. You idiot, I’m not…I’m being childish. She started to think about what has been happening the past few weeks. Did she really start liking him? She looked at the present she got for his birthday. She never got the chance to give it to him.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************