Chanyeol

I Only Have You

Chanyeol felt the world spinning underneath his feet. He grabbed the nearest chair for balance.

"Yeol, what's wrong?" his mom asked. Worries filled her eyes.

"Baek.. He-" Chanyeol's head hurts.

"What's wrong with Baek? Oh God, is he okay?" his mom gasped. She had a hand over .

"Mom, I'm going back to Seoul," Chanyeol clumsily ran to his room. He took all of his clothes off the hangers and stuffed it into his suitcase. His mom stands in the doorway.

"Yeol, it's almost midnight. There is no bus from Busan to Seoul at this hour. You may have to wait," his mom grabbed his wrist, preventing him from further packing," I'm worried for Baekhyun too but you can't go now. Wait 'til tomorrow morning," his mom looked at him.

Chanyeol sat down on the bed. He can't wait that long. D.O's voice was very urgent so that means something is very wrong. Chanyeol couldn't sit still. Not when he doesn't know what happened to Baekhyun.

"Mom! I can't! I have to go! I want to see Baekhyun!" Chanyeol broke into sobs. He grabbed his mom's hands, pleading her. His mom caressed his cheeks, trying to comfort him.

"Baby, we'll depart early tomorrow morning. I promise," his mom pulled the crying Chanyeol into her arms. She pets his hair as he continues to cry.

"I .. I" Chanyeol hiccups, " I d-don't want to be too- too late." 

"It's okay baby. Baekhyun will wait for you," his mom said softly.

"I don't know what happened to Baekhyun but it's killing me. I don't want anything to happen to him," Chanyeol sobs.

"It's okay baby. Shh, nothing will happen to Baekhyun," his mom answers.

They stay like that for a long time.

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol squirms around on his bed. No matters how much he tried, he couldn't close his eyes. Baekhyun has occupied his mind for the past 5 hours. He couldn't stop thinking about Baekhyun.

Baek, are you alright?

What happened?

Chanyeol sigh. He pulled out his cell phone and started going online. He scrolled through his Twitter account mindlessly when something caught his eyes.

" Breaking news: EXO Baekhyun threw up blood and passed out on stage during EXO's concert at LOTTE World today!"

Chanyeol immediately sits up. He frantically clicked on the article.

 

Disaster at EXO'S LOTTE World Concert

Today is EXO's returning member, Byun Baekhyun, first performance with EXO. Baekhyun disappeared for 2 years and SM Entertainment didn't say anything about his sudden decision to leave EXO. SM also didn't mention anything about why Baekhyun returned. Thousands of fan show up at the concert in LOTTE World today upon hearing about Baekhyun's return. The concert went on successfully. When EXO expressed their last greetings to the fans, a chant demanding Baekhyun to do a solo erupted. Baekhyun, to the fans' surprise, agree to do a solo. He sang "Lovesong" that he did a few years back with EXO Park Chanyeol. The performance didn't last 5 minutes when all of a sudden, Baekhyun stopped playing and clumsily stood up. He apologized to the fans and turned to the right. He loses his balance and fell to the floor. He then started coughing and blood was spilling out from his mouth to the floor. The rest of the members ran over to helped him but he has already fainted. An ambulance arrived shortly after.

This causes big commotions among the fans. They are very concerns about Baekhyun. They're currently lining up in front of "Seoul Hospital," the hospital that Baekhyun was transported to. The fans are crying, saying how regretful they are to demand a solo from Baekhyun when he was sick. News reporters are standing in a large crowd in front of SM Entertainment's company, accusing them of what happened to Baekhyun.

Chanyeol's breath quicken. His vision turns blurry. 

A short clip was attached to the article. Chanyeol clicked on it.

The video started playing. Chanyeol saw Baekhyun's fragile figure. His face was so pale. He was bowing to the fans, mumbling something that Chanyeol couldn't hear. Then Baekhyun clumsily walked towards the backstage when his weight carries him down. Chanyeol saw Baekhyun struggles for breath as he coughed into his hand. Blood leaked out through the gaps between Baekhyun's fingers.

Chanyeol gasped.

Baekhyun pulled up his shirt to wipe the blood away. He looked horrible. He tried to stand up again but instead, he made a hard contact with the floor. Then he went limp.

The video ended.

Chanyeol threw his phone to the floor. He throws his head back and laughs. It was a painful laugh, it came out sounded like a choke. Tears stream down his face.

"Byun Baekhyun!" Chanyeol cries out loudly and hit his chest.

Why didn't you tell me that you're sick?

What the hell happened? Have you been taking care of yourself?

Baekhyun,

Please wait for me.

 

 

 

The sky is still pitch black when Chanyeol walked out of the house. He didn't even had a chance to tell his mom 'Goodbye'. He just couldn't wait anymore. He has to go. He has to go see Baekhyun.

Chanyeol sat on the cold bench at the bus stop. He checked his phone.

5:00 am.

If he catches the early bus, he will arrive at Seoul at approximately 10:30 am. Chanyeol waited anxiously for the bus to come.

Finally, around 5:30 am, a bus shows up around the corner. Chanyeol stands up abruptly and walked to the bus. He is the only passenger but he doesn't care. He just wants to be back as soon as possible.

Chanyeol fell asleep on the bus. When he woke up, it was already 10:00 am. He should be at Seoul in half an hour. Chanyeol quickly put on his mask to hide his identity.

The bus is now loaded with passengers. There aren't even enough seats and some have to stand. Chanyeol sat at the very back.

Then he heard it.

"Did you hear? There is a rumor that Baekhyun will die," the girl with pink hair in front of him said.

Chanyeol's eyes went wide.

"Hush, don't say stupid things," the blonde girl next to her looked around to see if anyone has heard.

"But I did some research last night. It seems like Baekhyun is diagnosed with cancer," the pink hair girl said again.

"Would you shut it? Yes, he coughed up blood, but that doesn't mean he has cancer you idiot," the blonde girl hissed at her friend.

"But I.." the pink hair girl started to say.

Chanyeol couldn't hear the rest of their conversation because the bus stopped, signaling them that they've arrived in Seoul. Chanyeol carefully lowers his head as he walks down the bus.

Chanyeol steady himself as soon as he exits the bus. He leaned against a tree nearby, trying to get a grasp on what he just heard.

No, it can't be true.

But it doesn't seem convincing at all.

Chanyeol waved to get a taxi. Finally, a cab pulled up on the side of the road and Chanyeol quickly hopped on.

"Seoul Hospital. Can you hurry please," Chanyeol said as soon as he gets into the taxi. The driver nodded and quickly drive Chanyeol to the hospital.

When they arrived, Chanyeol quickly shoves money into the taxi driver's hand without asking for change back. He got out of the cab and ran inside. Chanyeol was being blocked by the fans when he tried to get past them. It took some wrestling but Chanyeol manages to get inside after 5 minutes of struggling.

Chanyeol ran to the receptionist, "What room is EXO Baekhyun in?"

"Room 461. It's to your right sir," the receptionist politely said. But Chanyeol was already running towards room 461.

Chanyeol was out of breath when he arrived at the room. He quickly went inside.

Suho, Chen, Xiumin, and Lay are sitting on the floor. Sehun and Kai are sitting on Baekhyun's bed. D.O is looking out the window.

But Baekhyun is nowhere to be found.

Chanyeol observed the scene. All the members' face are red. Their eyes are swollen. Tears make a trail down their faces. Sehun is sobbing and Kai put his arms around him, comforting Sehun while Kai's face was also covered with tears. Chen is zoning out, lost in his own little world as the little droplet of tears slide down his face. Xiumin's nose are bright red. Suho and Lay put their heads on their knees. D.O bit his bottom lips, trying to hold back from sobbing as he looked out the window.

"Where is Baekhyun?" Chanyeol's voice startles the members.

Everyone looked at him. A surge of pity rises in their eyes.

"I said where is he? Where is my Baekhyun??" Chanyeol stomped into the room. His voice was a little too loud to be hospital's appropriate.

"Chanyeol," D.O ran over and hug him.

"Where the hell is he? Where is my Baekhyun?" Chanyeol sinks to the floor. He pushes D.O back slightly. His tears are threatening to fall.

"You came a bit too late. He was being delivered to the surgery room an hour ago," Suho's voice broke. He couldn't hold back his tears and ran outside.

"What happened? Why does he have to be delivered to the surgery room?" Chanyeol asked confusingly.He looked up at the members but they all avoided his gaze.

Chanyeol screams," WHY THE HELL DOES HE HAVE TO BE DELIVERED TO THE SURGERY ROOM? WHAT HAPPENED? WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM?"

"BECAUSE HE IS DYING!" Chen stood up and said angrily. His face is wet with tears.

Chanyeol stepped back, "Wh-What are you saying?". Chanyeol backed away from Chen.

"HE HAS CANCER! HE HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH LARYNGEAL CANCER FOR 2 YEARS NOW YOU IDIOT!" Chen's chest was heaving. Sehun sobbed even louder now because of what Chen had just said.

Chanyeol loses his balance and fell to the floor. Disbelief is visibly displayed on his face. 

"I-I don't understand. Are you joking? You are joking, right? Right?" Chanyeol stood up and slowly walked over to Chen. Chen didn't say anything back.

"This is only a joke, Right?" Chanyeol grabbed Chen's shoulders. Chen only shook his head as his shoulders started shaking. Chen is crying.

"THIS IS A JOKE ISN'T IT? ANSWER ME!" Chanyeol cry and sink to the floor. His tears are coming out non-stop. All the members got up and embrace him. The sound of crying and hiccupping filled the room.

 

 

 

 

 

It's been 2 days and Baekhyun hasn't come out of the surgery room yet. The members take turns staying at the hospital to wait for Baekhyun so they could get some rest. Only Chanyeol stays at the hospital 24/7 because he refuses to leave Baekhyun's side. Chanyeol hasn't eaten anything for the past 2 days. He kept sitting in the same spot, not moving, and patiently wait for Baekhyun. He would always run over to one of the nurses whenever they come out of the surgery room to asked how Baekhyun is doing, but they ignored him most of the time. Seeing Chanyeol like this feels like a knife stabbing at D.O's heart.

Today is D.O's turns to stay at the hospital. Kai was exhausted after the long night shift and immediately went to sleep as soon as he got home. D.O prepares the soup before heading to the hospital because he knew Chanyeol hasn't been eating.

When D.O arrived, he saw Chanyeol laying down on the bench. His body are shivering. He curled up and tried to fit on the small bench that was too little for his extremely long legs.

D.O's heart throbbed.

D.O slowly make his way towards Chanyeol. After placing the soup safely on the ground, he softly reaches up and slightly pats Chanyeol's back." Chanyeol-ah, wake up," D.O said softly.

Chanyeol immediately sat up. His eyes went wide. He quickly wipes away the drool at the corner of his mouth.

"I didn't sleep, I swear. How is Baekhyun doing?" Chanyeol asked frantically.

"Relax, it's me," D.O smiles sadly.

"Oh, hi Kyungsoo," Chanyeol mumbles.

D.O offered a genuine smile and bend over to pick up the soup. He gave it to Chanyeol but Chanyeol refuses to accept it.

"Baekhyun would not be happy to see you like this," D.O said resignedly.

Chanyeol squirms around on the bench. After a moment of hesitation, he agrees to eat the soup.

As Chanyeol gulping down on the soup, he started telling D.O about random things. This always happened whenever Chanyeol is tired.

"Chanyeol-ah, go home and rest. I'll stay here to watch him," D.O said.

"What? No! I want to be here for my Baekhyun," Chanyeol looked at D.O weirdly.

Chanyeol is starting to go insane.

D.O sigh, "Go home and rest. You want to look healthy when Baekhyun comes out of the surgery room wouldn't you? I think he wouldn't be happy if he sees how tired and exhausted you are," D.O said in a demanding tone.

Chanyeol thought about it for a minute.

"Will my Baekhyun wants that?" Chanyeol tilts his head like a little kid.

It's killing D.O to see Chanyeol like this. Chanyeol is starting to lose his mind and if D.O doesn't make him go home and rest, it'll only get worse.

"Yes. Baekhyun would want to see you go home and rest," D.O force a smile.

"Then I'll go," Chanyeol stood up and nearly fell to the floor. He has been sitting for the past 2 days and hasn't gotten up at all so he kinda loses his balance.

D.O catches him before he made contact with the floor. He pulled Chanyeol up using all of his strength.

"Sorry about that," Chanyeol scratches his head and smiles brightly at D.O. Then he started to regain his balance and walked away.

"Wait!" D.O shouted after Chanyeol. Chanyeol turns around and look at him questionably.

D.O quickly ran over to Chanyeol. He grabbed Chanyeol's right hand and spread out his palm. Then, D.O reaches inside his pocket and pulled out something. He placed it on Chanyeol's palm.

It's a DVD.

Chanyeol looked at D.O confusingly.

Why is he giving me  DVD?

"I secretly filmed Baekhyun. I think it would be good.... if you watch it. Watch it when you get home," D.O's voice trailed off.

Chanyeol's stomach churns. He firmly gripped on the DVD.

Then he left the hospital.

 

 

 

 

 

 

As soon as Chanyeol gets home, he immediately went to the living room. He put the DVD into the Sony DVD Player and the TV.

An image flashed across the screen. It was out of focus at the beginning but it quickly focuses again after 2 minutes.

The video showed someone walking towards the bathroom. The camera is shaking violently, obviously, this person is not a pro. Chanyeol continues watching.

The door was slightly open, enough just to take a peek. Chanyeol squints his eyes to see what was going on in the video.

Then he saw it.

Baekhyun was throwing up. His whole face is covered with blood. He quickly rinsed it off. Then Baekhyun looked at his reflection and cried. He looked like he was about to scream but he couldn't. Baekhyun was suddenly coughing again, this time heavier than the last. He staggered and somehow loses his balance. Baekhyun slipped and hit his head against the edge of the counter. Blood travels down his face. Then the screen went black.

Chanyeol's mouth was wide opened. He couldn't speak. Then suddenly, all of the emotions hit him all at once. He felt all the air was being knocked out of him.

So this was what happened? 

Baekhyun, you idiot, why didn't you tell me?

Suddenly, the screen was on again. This time, it shows a different video. But it seems like the camera was being placed somewhere on the shelf because the angle was different.

Baekhyun was standing in front of the mirror. He was looking at himself and he gasped. 

Chanyeol gasped too. Baekhyun's head is bald. There were only a few strings on his head.

Baekhyun grabbed a chair and swing it at the mirror with full force. He screamed and cried as little pieces landed at his feet. D.O walked in and quickly pulled Baekhyun back. Baekhyun kept on crying while repeating ," D.O, take that monster away from me! It's taking my life away! D.O take it away from me!". Baekhyun hit D.O's chest as he sobbed even more.

Chanyeol hung his head back. This was all too much. Too much.

Baekhyun-ah

A tear makes it way down his cheeks.

A different video was played on the screen. This time, it looks like the camera is being hidden inside something. It looks like the camera is being hidden inside a hat.

The video focuses on Baekhyun. He was eating chocolate ice cream. He was wearing that black beanie that he always wore on his head. He smiles brightly, unaware that he is being filmed. He looked like he's having so much fun. Baekhyun was smiling so big. His eyes formed a crescent when he laughed.

Chanyeol smiles. 

How long has it been since I last saw that smile of Byun Baekhyun?

It was the same smile that I fell in love with.

The video proceeds on. Baekhyun is walking in the front now. He would often looked back and smile. Soon, they were at a store. The camera suddenly went out of focus and it took a while to re-focus. Baekhyun is sitting on the chair. His face is filled with delight when a lady puts a wig on his head. He was smiling but started crying. he quickly laughed and wiped his eyes. The camera came closer, zooming in on Baekhyun's face. Baekhyun laughed filled Chanyeol's ear. It was the most beautiful thing that Chanyeol had ever heard in his life.

Chanyeol grabbed the tissue and started wiping his eyes.

Another video is playing.

And it almost took Chanyeol's breath away.

Baekhyun is sitting, looking directly at Chanyeol.

"D.O-ah, I don't think I can do this," Baekhyun laughed shyly.

Baekhyun is in his hospital gown. His wig is gone. His head is wrapped in a bandage. His cheeks are even more sunken than it was before. There are huge bags under his eyes.

"Yes, you can. You're filming it for Chanyeol-ssi," the voice belongs to Kai.

Baekhyun chuckled slightly. But then he started coughing.

"Okay, we'll step out of the room to give you some privacy okay? Tell Chanyeol what you want to say to him," the soothing voice belongs to Suho.

The sound of feet shuffling followed by a slammed down indicates that the members are already out of the room.

"Uh.. Hi," Baekhyun looked at the camera shyly. He waved adorably at the camera.

Chanyeol waved back.

"Ah- It feels weird, talking to the camera like this," Baekhyun is showing his rectangular smile.

"It's not weird baby," Chanyeol answered him. 

"Chanyeol-ah, did I ever tell you how much I love you?" Baekhyun tilted his head playfully.

"You don't have to tell me. I know," Chanyeol got up and sat closer to the screen.

"Where do I start?" Baekhyun looked down.

Chanyeol waited patiently.

Baekhyun drew in a deep breath.

"2 years ago, after one of our concerts. It was a Valentine concert and I remember you giving me a rose on stage," Baekhyun blushed and smiled at the thought.

Chanyeol finds himself smiling as well," I remembered."

"I felt really sick after that day. My throat was hurting. When we went home, I ran to the bathroom and suddenly, I was coughing like crazy. Blood were spilling out, covering the sink with a red color. I was so afraid. I went to the hospital when you guys weren't home. They did a scan and I was told a few days after that I was diagnosed with Laryngeal Cancer," Baekhyun drew in a big breath. He wipes the tears from the corner of his eyes.

Chanyeol heart's dropped.

"I was so depressed. I was depressed for 3 months. The doctor told me to stopped singing," Baekhyun continues on," I had to make the hardest decision. Leaving EXO, and that also means leaving you Chanyeol-ah," Baekhyun's voice broke.

"Baby," Chanyeol mumbles. It all makes sense now. His tears continue to flow.

"I just... I just couldn't tell you. I kept thinking about how devastated you would be. How I would be a burden on you. I just couldn't do it. I don't want you to feel sad and depress whenever you're by my side," Baekhyun sobs into his hands.

"Baby, of course, I won't. Why would you think that?" Chanyeol touched the screen with his finger. He caressed Baekhyun's cheeks on the screen.

"Chanyeol-ah, do you remember the first day we met? We were trainees. When I first saw you, I was struck by how handsome you are. But the moment I heard your laugh, I realized that it was love at first sight. I'm a very reserved person so I don't often expressed my feelings openly, but I felt at home being with you. I don't love Taeyeon. Not even close. My heart only belongs to you. You weren't nothing Chanyeol-ah, you were so much more than that. I know that you're never going to forgive me. You are one of the greatest people I had ever met, do you know how much it hurt me to lose you? You are such a big part of my life and walking away wasn't an easy choice. You're a better person than I'll ever be. I hope no one ever hurts you the way that I did, you didn't deserve that. I know you can't even look at me right now, but Chanyeol-ah, I hope you find someone that deserves you," Baekhyun cry even harder now.

Chanyeol's vision turns blurry.

No baby. No one can ever replace you.

"Falling for you wasn't falling at all Chanyeol-ah. It was walking into a house and suddenly knew that I'm home. This is what I've always been searching for. It's you. I love you," Baekhyun smiles at the camera.

Chanyeol sobs.

"I love you. I love you. I lov-" Baekhyun kept on repeating the phrase and suddenly, he started coughing uncontrollably. Chanyeol could see the blood spitting out of his mouth. Baekhyun looked at the camera. His eyes were bloodshot. He reached up to turn off the camera. Baekhyun struggled to turn off the camera's button. He shakily tried to stand on his tippy-toes. Suddenly, he fainted, pulling the camera along with him. Blood splashed on the screen.

Then it was all black.

Chanyeol takes a minute to regain his composure. His face feels numb from all the crying. His throat is dry.

Baekhyun.

Why did it become like this?

His phone vibrates.

The caller is D.O.

Chanyeol quickly pressed the answer button," Yeah? Is there any news?"

"Yes, Baekhyun just got out of the surgery room," D.O sounded out of breath.

Relief swept over Chanyeol.

My baby is safe.

"That's good! I'm heading over there right now! I knew the surgery would be successful!" Chanyeol stood up excitedly. His smile is stretch from ear to ear.

There was a long pause.

"Hello? D.O, are you still there?" Chanyeol asked as he gathered up his stuff and get ready to go.

"No," D.O said.

"Huh?" Chanyeol asked.

"The surgery wasn't successful," D.O answered.

Chanyeol stopped in his track.

"Wh-What do you mean by that?" Chanyeol stuttered.

D.O drew in a deep breath before his voice broke.

"Baekhyun only have 4 hours to live before he is gone forever."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_______________________________ 

Holy cow, that was a really long chapter.

I've written it for the past 3 hours and my arms are about to fall off.

1 more chapter to go~