Baekhyun- Pain

I Only Have You

Baekhyun got up earlier than usual today. He glanced over to the bed next to his and found it empty. After the fight they had last week, Chanyeol has been sleeping on the sofa in the living room, claiming that he couldn't stand sleeping in the same room with a liar. It was true. Baekhyun was a liar. He lied about everything. Baekhyun let out a heavy sigh.

After brushing his teeth and changing into a gray sweater and blue jeans, Baekhyun went to the closet. He reached into his suitcase and pulled out a black beanie that he bought a long time ago right after the chemotherapy treatment in case of an emergency. He would never have thought that one day he would be using it. At least not this early. 

Baekhyun went to the mirror and pulled the beanie over his head, covering the bald spot. It fitted him perfectlly and actually looked good on him. But that wasn't what Baekhyun was looking at. His heart sunk when his reflection stared back at him. The Byun Baekhyun from before was no longer there; instead, it was replaced by this skeletal-looking figure with sunken cheekbones and hollow eyes. Baekhyun felt sick.

His hair has been falling out a lot recently. The bald spot at the back of his head was getting larger each day and in order to hide it from the members, he has been wearing this black beanie every day. Of course, the members were curious and kept asking him why he felt the need to wear beanie inside the house, but he never give them an answer so they've stop bothering him after a while. No one seemed to suspect anything. Yet.

Baekhyun stepped away from the mirror and made his way down to the kitchen. All the members were already gathered around the table and their laughter filled the house. Chen was trying to gasp for breath from laughing too much. Xiumin's eyes watered. Sehun was clutching his stomach and had a scowl on his face because Kai was hitting him really hard on the back while he was laughing. It was Kai's habit to hit people when he was excited. Suho only shook his head like he wasn't proud of what was happening. Baekhyun walked in to observe the scene.

Chanyeol was standing in the middle of the kitchen. He was mimicking D.O's failed attempt to rap Chanyeol's part in "Love Me Right". Chanyeol was laughing hysterically. Only D.O didn't look amused.

Baekhyun's heart raced a little at the sight of Chanyeol's smile. How long has it been since Baekhyun last saw it? How long has it been since he last saw Chanyeol smile so freely? 

"Hey Baekhyun-hyung, come sit," Kai patted the empty chair next to his. " You've just missed the most hilarious rap battle between D.O-hyung and Chanyeol-hyung." Kai was still laughing as Baekhyun came and sat on the chair. Chanyeol immediately stopped laughing when he saw Baekhyun. He quietly went and sat down next to Suho, which was on the other side of the table from Baekhyun. Kyungsoo didn't say anything as he brought a plate and silverware. He placed them in front of Baekhyun. He seemed upset.

"Uh.. D.O, I won't be eating so you don't have to make extra breakfast for me," Baekhyun said to D.O.

"You have been skipping breakfast for a week already. Is it because my food tasted bad? Or is it because you prefer SOMEONE ELSE to cook it for you?" There was an edge to his voice. His eyes were looking directly at Chanyeol when he said that. Baekhyun squirmed. 

"I'm not hungry...," Baekhyun said meekly. Chanyeol scoffed.

"Of course! Of course you're NOT hungry!" Chanyeol raised his voice, "You prefer eating in the MANAGER's office over eating with US after all!" Chanyeol was mocking Baekhyun. Baek only looked down. Chanyeol was convinced that Baekhyun didn't want to get along with the members because he was too good for them. That wasn't true. Baekhyun loved each and every one of them. The thought caused a pain in his heart.

"Stop it! What's up with you all this morning? Why can't you try to get along with one another? Why are you guys giving Baekhyun such a hard time? We are EXO! We are one, remember?" Suho slammed his fists against the table. Nobody spoke.

"I don't know what happened but it's clear that you guys don't like Baekhyun- hyung. It's sad because all of us were so close before, so what is all this? Baekhyun-hyung clearly stated the reason why he left. It was because of his family problem. He was considerate enough to handle it on his own because he didn't want to trouble us. I don't understand why we have to be this way towards him," Kai spoke up after a long silence. Everyone had their heads down, trying to let the thought sink in.

Baekhyun's tears were b at the corner of his eyes. He wanted to hug Kai so badly and tell him how much Baekhyun appreciated what he just said, but he didn't. He didn't because he knew he had fooled everyone in the room. About his family's problem. About him being considerate. About his sickness. About everything.

"Yeah, let's stop. It's pretty childish to stay mad at Baekhyun over something that he couldn't control," Chen finally said. Xiumin nodded and so did everyone else.

"He has you guys fooled, but not me. I know him!" Chanyeol stared into Baekhyun's eyes," I know you, Byun Baekhyun. You fooled everyone in this room but you can't fool me. You blatant liar!" Chanyeol stood up and stomped toward their bedroom. Baekhyun wanted to chase after him. Beg him. Apologize to him. Tell him how much he loves him.

But he stayed put in his seat.

Suho let out a small cough. Everyone let out a sigh. No one even touched their breakfast. Everything had been so chaotic and they didn't have the appetite to eat anymore.

Kyungsoo silently strolled to his room. Everyone stood up and also walked towards their own. Everything was too much. Baekhyun felt horrible. Ever since he returned, not a single day were there no arguments and a heavy atmosphere always appeared. If only he knew, he would've never came back.

"It's fine, Hyung." Kai put a hand on his shoulder. "I'm happy that you're back." Kai wrapped his strong, muscular arms around Baekhyun. The sensation overwhelmed him. He felt so much love from the maknae. His tears started to fall as he felt another pair of arms pulled him into a hug. It was Sehun. The lovers smiled genuinely at Baekhyun and left the kitchen. Now, Baekhyun sat there alone.

Baekhyun tried to calm down and collect his thoughts. He knew it was a big mistake that he made the decision to return. Chanyeol was hating him and that was even worse than death itself. Even though Baekhyun saw Chanyeol every day, even though they were directly facing each other, there is a huge gap in between them. A wall that seemed to separate them and Baekhyun didn't know how to fix it. He closed his eyes.

The doorbell rang.

Baekhyun opened his eyes and slowly walked towards the door. The manager was hovering above him when Baekhyun opened the door. He nearly jumped.

"Goodness, you scared me." Baekhyun placed a hand over his heart.

"We're having an interview with SBS today. Hurry up and get changed." The manager handed Baekhyun a black suit.

"What? Why so abrupt?" Baekhyun traced the outline of the suit. It was labeled XX-Small. Baekhyun silently laughed. So he went from size Small to XX-Small? He must've lost a lot a weight.

"I scheduled it to next week but one of the guest didn't show up for the interview today so they want you to fill them in." The manager was constantly checking his phone.

"Alright, I'll go change." Baekhyun said, "You can sit in the living room," but the manager already pushed past him and went to speak to Suho.

Baekhyun went to his room. His breath hitched when he saw Chanyeol leaned against the sink. He looked up, saw Baekhyun, and walked out of the room before Baekhyun could open his mouth to say anything. 

Baekhyun quickly changed into his suit. His stomach flipped because the suit didn't quite fit him. He shook his head and decided to go along with it anyway.

When he walked downstairs, the manager was already at the door. They quickly went to his car and drove to the SBS station. Baekhyun was nervous. How can he not be? He was about to announce to the world about his arrival and who knows how that would turn out?

The interviewers were excited to see Baekhyun. He greet them politely. The makeup artist and hair styler did his preparation before he was going Live. Baekhyun tried breathing in and out and calmed himself.

"Hello everybody. Welcome to today's daily news with the SBS channel," the news reporter says. "Today we have a very special guest with us. It may surprise some of you actually, especially EXO's fans. Without further ado, let us welcome, Byun Baekhyun!"

Baekhyun entered, waving at the audience. He settled down on the chair to the right of the reporter. He turned to face the camera.

"Hello everyone. I am Exo's Baekhyun!" Baekhyun smiled brightly.

" Hi Baek Hyun. Nice to see you again. It's been a long time isn't it?"  The news reporter was smiling a little too hard.

"Yes it certainly is. I know I've been gone for a long time due to some problems back home, but I am officially back now and I hope the fans will be excited, just as I am excited to see them!" Baekhyun put on a fake smile. He didnn't like this. He already felt bad for lying to the members, now he was lying to the whole world.

The interview kept going on and on for about an hour. It was mostly about what happened during the time he was gone. At one point, she made a comment about his beanie and he told her it was a new trend. She just laughed but doesn't suspect anything. Baekhyun forced himself to smile and answer the questions as best as he could.

After the interview, the manager scheduled a photoshoot for him. It was a pain but Baekhyun reluctantly agreed to do it.The photographer got frustrated when Baekhyun refused to remove his beanie for the photoshoot. After 10 minutes of disputing, the photographer gave up and proceeded with the photoshoot.

It was 7:30pm by the time Baekhyun was finished with everything. He was dead-tired from all the interviews and shootings that he had to do today. It was too much and his fragile body couldn't take it.

"Long day, huh?" The manager spoke as he drove Baekhyun home.

"Yeah," Baekhyun could barely let out a sound. He didn't have the strength to speak anymore.

"How are you doing these days?" The manager asked.

"Great," Baekhyun answered without missing a beat.

"Don't lie. Why are you even wearing that beanie anyway? It was kinda embarrassing for me when you appear on camera with that stupid looking beanie on your head." The manager sounded frustrated.

"My hair has been falling out. If you want me to show up with a giant bald spot at the back of my head then I'll do that next time." Baekhyun said resignedly.

"Is it that bad? Have you been taking your meds?" The manager seems concerned now.

"Yes I did but somehow it's not working anymore." Baekhyun rubbed his fingers against his eyes.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" The manager slow down when he came to a stop in front of the house.

"No," Baekhyun said as he stepped out of the car and went inside, waving goodbye to the manager.

The house was dark and silent. No one seemed to be home. Baekhyun the light in living room and the kitchen but no one was there. He called out the members' names but no one answered. Weird. Where did they go?

There was a note on Baekhyun's bedroom door. It was from Suho.

We have an emergency down in the studio and we have to go there. I know you don't like being home alone so I told Chanyeol and D.O. to stay back at the house and wait for you to return. I just want to congratulate you for doing such a fantastic job today at the interview and the members are very glad that you're back even though they don't show it. Fighting! XOXO, Suho. Baekhyun smiled when he read the note. A warmth spread across his body. Finally he felt at home. Just for a little bit.

Then, a thought popped in his head. Didn't Suho say D.O.  and Chanyeol were staying at home? Where are they then? Baekhyun went to D.O.'s room and no one was there. He continue to search for them.

A loud, slamming door came from downstairs, making Baekhyun jump. He quickly ran down and the sight nearly made him have a heart attack.

Chanyeol was angry. He seemed to be yelling at someone. Kyungsoo was right behind him with tears streaming down his face. They were arguing about something. Baekhyun was about to stop them when suddenly, Chanyeol grabbed D.O.'s wrist, pushed him against the counter, and pressed his lips against D.O.'s.