D.O- Decision

I Only Have You

Baekhyun turned his head when he heard the sound of breaking glass. He was stunned when he saw D.O. There was fear in his eyes.

D.O. couldn't speak. The words clogged up in his throat. He doesn't know what to think. What to say. What to feel.

He looked at Baekhyun blankly.

"D.O., wh- what are y-you doing here?" Baekhyun stuttered. 

D.O. didn't answer. His mind was somewhere else.

Baekhyun stood up and went to sit in front of D.O. and fear visibly displayed on his face. Taeyeon also stood up and walked over to join them.

"Taeyeon. Can I talk to D.O. alone?" Baekhyun looked at her. Taeyeon seemed worried. She placed a hand over Baekhyun's arm. Baekhyun gave her small, delicate hand a squeeze. With one last look at them, she reluctantly said 'Goodbye' and walked out of the shop.

Baekhyun turned his attention back to D.O. He seemed very nervous. D.O. took a good look at Baekhyun.

Baekhyun had lost a lot of weight. His clothes didn't seem to fit him and he was ridiculously skinny. D.O.'s eyes traveled up to Baekhyun's face. Baekhyun's sharp features were now replaced with sunken cheekbones. His eyes were droopy. His lips were pale.

D.O. felt sick.

"I..." Baekhyun slowly started to speak.

"Is this why you left?" D.O. asked without even looking at Baekhyun.

Silence.

"Yeah," Baekhyun mumbled.

"Why didn't you tell us?" D.O. felt anger bubbling inside.

"I didn't want to be a burden." Baekhyun looked down.

"Does Chanyeol know?" There was an edge in D.O.'s voice.

Baekhyun squirmed in his seat. After a moment, he answered, "No. I don't want him to know."

"Why?," D.O asked.

"D.O., would you want to tell the person you love that you're about to die?" Baekhyun's tears are forming.

A knife stabbed at D.O's heart.

"I guess not." D.O didn't know what to say.

"I.." Baekhyun took a deep breath before continuing," Two years ago, after one of our concerts, I was coughing uncontrollably. I coughed up blood D.O., and I knew something was wrong." Baekhyun's tears were rolling down his cheeks. "I went to the hospital for a check up and they said I was diagnosed with Laryngeal Cancer." Baekhyun stopped and tried to calm himself; his hands were shaking. "They said that this kind of cancer usually happens to a lot of singers. The doctor told me to take some time off. I was depressed D.O.; I wanted to kill myself. Singing was my everything. It's my passion. And now I am not able to do that anymore." Baekhyun sobbed. 

"Baekhyun.." D.O's tears were forming in his eyes.

"That's why I left. I didn't want to be a burden. And you know what's worse? I have to break up with Chanyeol. D.O, my world seemed to end when I saw how broken he was. I remembered his hand grabbing onto mine, begging me to stay. His tears wouldn't stop and he kept apologizing, saying everything was his fault but it's not D.O! It was me! It was all me!" Baekhyun sobbed even harder.

"Why did you decide to come back? And why is Taeyeon involved in this?" D.O. had a lot of questions that he wanted to ask Baekhyun.

"Taeyeon and I were best friends since my college years, so she offered to help me after I told her about my sickness." Baekhyun's wiped his eyes, "The reason why I decided to come back? Before I die, I wanted to be by Chanyeol's side. Even if he hates me, it's my last wish D.O.; I love him from the bottom of my heart. He show me what love is. He was the light in the darkest time of my life. He grabbed my hand and loved me even when I didn't love myself. He accepted me for who I was and never once did he judge me.So before I disappear in this world, I wanted to love him with everything that I had. This is what I came back for." Baekhyun looked at D.O.

D.O. looked at Baekhyun; looked at the boy in front of him. There was a passion in his eyes. Byun Baekhyun loved Park Chanyeol. His love towards Chanyeol was so much stronger than anything in the world. Chanyeol was his life and he was willing to risk everything. D.O.'s tears rolled down his cheeks. His love for Chanyeol would never compare with Baekhyun's.

"I understand," D.O. said after a moment.

"I'm begging you D.O, please don't tell anyone. Especially not Chanyeol. Please. I cannot hurt him anymore than this. He suffered because of me D.O., and I cannot break his heart again." Baekhyun grabbed D.O.'s hands and cried.

D.O felt his heart throbbing. 

"I won't." D.O smiled assuringly at Baekhyun. Baekhyun was sobbing again. D.O. went over and pulled Baekhyun into his arms, letting him cry on his shoulders. He patted Baekhyun's head as tears made a trail down his face.

 

_________________________________________________________

 

D.O. closed the door of his bedroom. He collapsed against the door. Tears unconsciously streamed down his face.

Baekhyun was suffering from cancer and yet D.O was constantly fighting with him for Chanyeol's love. How many times did Baekhyun hold back the things he wanted to say to Chanyeol? How many times did he watch the man of his dreams constantly treat him cruelly? How many times did he cry alone when no one was watching? D.O's heart was heavy. He can't do this anymore. He had to end things between him and Chanyeol. He could not hurt Baekhyun. He could not hurt someone who is dying.

D.O. went over to Chanyeol's room and knocked on the door. Chanyeol appeared. Baekhyun was nowhere to be seen. Chanyeol looked at him expectantly.

"Can we talk?," D.O asked.

"Sure, come in." Chanyeol stepped aside.

"No, can we go outside? Like to a park or something?," D.O suggested. Chanyeol was confused but he agreed. He went to his closet and grabbed his blue Nike jacket and they both walked out of the house.

Neither of them said anything along the way. D.O. was too exhausted to say anything. They finally reached the park, which was one block away from their house and they went to sit on the swings.

"What is it that you want to talk about?" Chanyeol finally spoke.

D.O. held his breath, getting ready for what he was about to say.

"I don't think I can keep up with this romance thing anymore," D.O said.

No, Chanyeol-ah, I still want to continue.

"What do you mean?" Chanyeol sounded alarmed.

"I'm giving up." D.O could feel his tears b at the corner of his eyes.

No, this is a lie. I don't want to give up yet.

"I don't understand." Chanyeol eyes widened. 

"What is it that you don't understand?" D.O.'s voice was as cold as ice.

Please understand.

"Why are you doing this?" Chanyeol sounded hurt.

"I can't continue anymore. I'm tired. I don't want to compete with Baekhyun any longer," D.O said resignedly.

I can't compete with a dying person, Chanyeol.

"Why do you keep bringing up Baekhyun? I told you that I don't like him anymore, remember?!" Chanyeol was yelling.

"No. He needs you." D.O's voice was small and distant.

He needs you more than I do.

"What are you talking about? Baekhyun needs me? Is this a joke? If he did, he would never have ended our relationship. He doesn't love me, D.O." Chanyeol's eyes were filled with pain.

"Chanyeol, everything has a reason," D.O said sadly.

Baekhyun had a reason to do that, Chanyeol.

"I don't understand. I thought you wanted this. I also did my part. I meant it when I said I wanted to try this romance thing with you." Chanyeol's voice cracked. His eyes watered.

"I'm sorry." D.O held back the tears that were threatening to come out.

I'm sorry.

"Don't give me the same crap that Baekhyun said. Don't say sorry when you don't mean it," Chanyeol scoffed.

"I do mean it," D.O said meekly.

I do mean it Chanyeol, from the bottom of my heart.

"No, no you don't! If you did, you would've never done something like this. Did something happen? Did Baekhyun say something to you?!" Chanyeol grabbed D.O shoulders.

"No. I already told you. I can't continue anymore." D.O looked at him.

Please understand Chanyeol. Please.

"So you're just going to give up on me like this?" Chanyeol put a hand over his heart. He didn't look at D.O.

"Yes. I gave up." D.O's heart sliced in half. His eyes stung. The words cut him like a knife. It was so painful.

"I see." Chanyeol laughed. His laugh was hoarse. Tears rolled down his cheeks.

"I'm sorry.." D.O couldn't say anything besides sorry, over and over again.

Chanyeol, I'm sorry.

"Please, can you go away? I need some time alone." Chanyeol sat back down.

D.O stood up and his back. He slowly made his way back to the house, leaving Chanyeol behind. D.O. fell on his knees and scraped it against the pavement as soon as he turned the corner. His heart clenched. It was hurting so badly. He screamed. His tears were spilling and it wouldn't stop. This was it. It was over. Everything was over.

I love you Chanyeol-ah.

Goodbye.