Chapter Twenty-three

Byul (Star)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

(Joohyun’s POV)

An hour and thirty minutes later, Hyoyeon and Minseok finally arrived. Luhan, Chanyeol and I stood up once we saw them. We were waiting for them at the lobby.

“Chanyeol-ah!” Hyoyeon blurted as she and Minseok neared us.

She was crying. Minseok looked panicked.

“Hyoyeon! What’s the matter?” Chanyeol grabbed his sister’s shoulders.

“Jinah-halmeoni…” Hyoyeon trailed and broke down.

Chanyeol’s face fell as he released Hyoyeon’s shoulders weakly.

“Chanyeol?” I asked worriedly as I took his right arm gently with my two hands.

Chanyeol looked straight into my eyes.

“C-call Kris’s doctor. Tell him…” He inhaled deeply before continuing in a soft voice. “Tell him the heart donor has arrived.”

“Heart donor?” Hyoyeon asked and passed out.

I stared at Hyoyeon as Minseok and Luhan rushed to her aid, not letting go of Chanyeol’s arm, realizing what was really happening.

Now I understand everything. Chanyeol had always convinced me that Kris would be fine, that he would live. I believed him thinking he meant that he would stay by my side and help me look for a way to save my cousin. But he had been trying to say something more. I had failed to understand him. I thought back to the day when we visited his grandma, the day I saw Chorong and Luhan together. I was reminded of how he cried, of how the pain looked evident in his eyes; yet, he comforted me. I don’t know how I would handle things if I were Chanyeol. I wouldn’t know what to do when my dying grandma offers her heart to save my friend.

I stared at Chanyeol. He was seated on the bench along the hall by Hyoyeon’s feet. Minseok sat on the same bench with Hyoyeon’s sleeping head resting on his lap. Luhan and I stood side by side in front of the three. We were all silent. No one volunteered to tell Yoona and Kris what was happening.

Tears fell on my face as I watched Chanyeol. His eyes were full of pain I couldn’t imagine. I didn’t know how I could comfort him. He loves his grandma more than anything else. He would die for her. He was her favorite grandson. They have a strong relationship. I don’t want to see him like this. It breaks my heart.

 

(Yoona’s POV)

The phone in Kris’s room rang. I picked it up.

“Yoboseyo?” I greeted through the receiver.

“Mrs. Wu? Is this you?” A male voice answered.

“Ye. What can I do for you?”

“Choneun Doctor Kim imnida. Your husband’s heart donor has arrived. We need you to come to my office and sign a waiver so we could schedule the operation as soon as possible.”

“Eo! Arasseo! I’ll be there! Komapsumnida!” I smiled and hang up.

“Who was that?” Kris asked me curiously.

“That was your doctor. He said he needed me to sign something for your heart transplant. Your donor has arrived.” I smiled at him.

“The donor has arrived? That means-” He smiled and trailed off.

“That means you could get your operation done and do your responsibilities to me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter