First Day At School

The Shining Knight and The Dark Rider

     I walked nervously along the isolated corridor of my new school, peeping into the quiet classrooms every now and then. ' 2-A ' My heart raced when I saw the lable on top of the classroom door. I stopped infront of my new assigned class and took a small peek inside, it was very quiet and everyone was listening attentively to the teacher, or at least that's what I thought.

    I slowly took in a deep breath before knocking on the door. My new teacher stopped what he was doing and turned to look at me. I quickly bowed as he motioned for me to go in. He then told me to introduce myself to the others. The teacher told them I was a transfer student and introduced himself to me as Mr.Park. Mr.Park then told me to sit down while pointing to where my new seat was supposed to be.

    I thanked him and walked over to where he pointed at. I soon found an empty seat where I quickly put down my bag and settled down. I looked around the place and found myself seated at a corner at the back of the classroom with a big cardboard right behind me.

    I then turned to my right to have a look at my new seatmate and found him... sleeping? He was resting his head on his arm which was on the table. Although I couldn't see his face and I didn't know who he was, obviously, since this was my first time meeting him, I thought I should at least greet him to be polite. " Hi! "

    He didn't reply me, he didn't even move, maybe he's really asleep? But is he allowed to sleep in class? Wouldn't he get a scolding from the teacher after getting caught? Since we will be seatmates for the rest of the year, we should help each other, right? Which means, I should prevent him from getting scolded. So... I should wake him up!

    I then poked him in the arm, trying to wake him up and he lifted his head up to look at me. I stared at him, waiting for his reaction. But he just gave me a pissed off look and went back to sleep. I sighed, why is he so unfriendly?

    Just then, the two person sitting infront of me turned around to face me. The boy who was sitting right infront of me then said said with a sad expression, " Haiz, don't care about him. He is always like that. "

    I nodded and turned to have another look at my seatmate. This time, the girl was the one who spoke, " Welcome to our class, JungMi! I'm IU, nice to meet you! " She smiled sweetly at me and I smiled back, " Nice to meet you too, hope we could be good friends! "

    " And I'm ChunJi, he's L.Joe. " ChunJi smiled while pointing to my seatmate. Suddenly, TaeMin appeared from no where and exclaimed happily " JungMi! I thought you were younger than me! So you are also 18! " I was shocked. Where did he come from? I didn't see him just now.

    " Mmm, I'm so happy to be in your class. And our seats are so near to each other! " I smiled and nodded again. It's not like I want to be always with him or something, but isn't it's always better to have someone you know near you so you can ask for help when something happens?

    " But it would be better if we could sit right next to each other. You know, there's still a really huge space between us. " TaeMin said as he stretched his hand out to the space between our desk. How huge is this space actually? His hand is already touching my desk. Is that very far? Or do we have to be so near?

    Just then, a voice snapped me out of my thoughts, " You two... actually know each other? " IU asked in shocked.

    I was about to answer when the teacher almost shouted, the class had somehow became noisier since I came in. " Stop chatting already! Enough of welcoming and please return to your seats. " Mr.Park then turn to me and said " JungMi ah, can you help me to give out the books in the carboard behind you? "

    " Yes, Mr.Park. " I smiled and headed towards the cardboard.

    I opened the carboard and carefully took out the books. Ahh! My hands are going to break! I struggled to hold on to the books, why are a few books so heavy? Wait, I need to put this down first, my hands really can't take it. I tried to take a step towards my desk but one of the books on the top toppled down. Oh no, I don't have any free hands to catch it! So now there's nothing I can do but to watch it fall...

    However, just before the book reached the floor, a hand caught it. I look up and saw L.Joe with the book. " Than- " Before I could even finish thanking him, he took away half of the stacks of books on my hand and started giving them out.

    " We'll help too! " IU and ChunJi chorused. In the end, there's only a few books left for me to give out. I was about to give them out when I realised something else... I don't even know their names, how am I supposed to give out these books? I wouldn't know which belongs to who! I looked at the first book. ' HaNi ' who is HaNi?

    Just then, TaeMin grabbed all the rest of the books from me and smiled " I'll give them out for you. "

    " Thanks! " I almost shouted after him. The people in this class sure are helpful. I'm beginning to like this class more and more now.

..................................................

    The school bell rang, indicating that lessons were over and it's time for break. " Ok, that's all for today, see you tomorrow! " Mr.Park packed up his things and went out of the classroom hurriedly, probably rushing for his next lesson. Right after Mr.Park went out, the class totally turned chaos.

    People stated talking while packing their things, some were already running out the classroom towards their favourite place, the cafeteria , others were even running around in the class. I wonder what they were doing, playing catching? Isn't that what primary school kids are supposed to be playing?

    IU then turned to me among these chaos and asked friendly, yup friendly, with a smile and everything, I guess she had already gotten used to having people running and shouting around her during break time, " Do you want to eat together with us? "

    " Sure! " I replied happily. Why not? I wouldn't want to be eating alone, I would be bored to death, I wouldn't have anything to do for the whole break! And anyway, I'll be able to be closer to them this way. It's always good to be making new friends, especially on my first day of school, isn't it? I can't possibly do without friends for the rest of the year, right?

    " Come on, let's go! But... where is ChunJi? " TaeMin asked as he look around the classroom looking for his friend. IU then answered his question " He went to look for the teacher, he said he couldn't understand something and I also couldn't understand what is it that he couldn't understand. But anyway, he will meet us later in the cafeteria. "

    TaeMin nodded his head and walked over to L.Joe to wake him up. He had been sleeping for the whole lesson. Haiz  is he really that tired? Didn't he sleep at night? How can he pass his exams like that? What if he continue sleeping for all the rest of the lessons? Won't my lessons be very boring then, having no one to talk to? Hmm, maybe it's better like that. Maybe I'll be able to concentrate better and also get better grades! YAY!

    I followed IU and TaeMin into the cafeteria and L.Joe just tugged behind us. We settled down on a table and waited patiently for ChunJi to arrive. L.Joe got impatient so he went to the toilet and TaeMin went with him, leaving IU and me.

    " Why don't you tell me more about you guys? " I suggested to IU as we were thinking of what to do while waiting.

    " Hmm, as you can see, L.Joe is a very quiet guy, he doesn't talk to people he don't really know. But when you get to know him better, he can be very fun. For ChunJi, he's the cheeky one. You can always count on him to think up a solution. And TaeMin, you can say he's just plain stupid. "

    " Huh? Stupid? Why? " I asked, shocked.

    " I mean, as in niave and easily fooled. For an example, ChunJi was also a transfer student last year, when he introduced himself, he told the class that he was already 30. No one believed him, only TaeMin said that he has such a baby face. "

    Just then, ChunJi suddenly appeared from no where and asked, " What are you two talking about? " I quickly shook my head and replied, " Nothing important. "

    " Come on, you can tell me. " He tried to persuade me but just then, L.Joe and TaeMin came back so he didn't prom any further. IU then turned to me and asked, " Now, if you don't mind, why don't you tell us more about yourself? We need to know more about you too. "

    I then started telling them the story about my parents, aunt and oppa. Last but not least, how I met TaeMin, but I left out the part where we live together. I just feel that it's better for them not to know. What if they misunderstand, or stuffs like that? So ya, it's better not to tell, at least for now, maybe until we know each other better.

    " I know! We can go and look for 'The Wise Old Man' later! " ChunJi suggested, " He might be able to give you a hint or two on how to find your brother! "

    " The wise old man? Who is he? " I asked curiously.

    " He isn't old at all, but he's a senior, two years older than us. Everytime any one of us have any problem, we will go and look for him. He can solve almost all of our problems! Maybe he can solve yours too! " TaeMin explained.

    " Really? "

    " Mmm, let's go and look for him after school later! " IU exclaimed as she nodded her head. I wonder if 'The Wise Old Man' really can help me find my brother. Hope he can... I really wish that I can see my brother again, as soon as possible.