Upon the Meets of Irony

Lion & the Lamb

 

Narrative P.O.V

First day of school finally finished~

7 hours passed just like that and Ji Eun enjoyed every bit of it. She made friends with Youngmin and Mir, and even though it was only just those two, she was extremely happy to at least make friends. Youngmin and Mir were extremely nice and caring to her, and for her whole life she had always yearned to receive others consideration, besides her sister's, and it finally came true today.

The hectic streets were occupied with traffic, above the sky were splattered with beautiful streetlights, while the air fulfilled the cool autumn night breeze, as people roamed nearby.

Like any other typical day Ji Eun tried to fit her schedule with a volunteer hour at the animal shelter. She enjoyed grooming the pets and taking care of them, after all she is a huge animal lover. The vets were pleased to see her every time she came to help, and they believed that she has the potential to become a vet in the future; since she’s very bright and passionate.

For some odd reason whenever they had a pet that was terrified and vicious, nothing seemed to scare Ji Eun, and a matter of fact, the dogs acted completely different around her, it’s as if she was an animal whisper. Which is quiet unique, right?

…..

Ji Eun P.O.V

“Ji Eun-ah, when are you coming home?” Soyeon asked on the other end of the phone. “Almost, after I’m done at the animal shelter ^^,” I answered before hanging up. “After you’re done washing the dog you can go home Ji Eun,” one of the nurses patted me on the back. “Neh!” I said happily as I washed the cute fluffy dog.

/////

“Annyeonghasaeyo! Kashamnida!” I thanked them and bowed before I made my exit. “Ani-ah, we’re thankful to have you volunteer for us, you’re welcomed any time,” the manager gave a big wave goodbye. “Neh!” I smiled and waved bye as well.

I pranced along the sidewalks happily and I felt like this was the best day in my whole life, “I got to make friends with two boys and got to play with adorable animals! Kyah~” I squealed and continued dancing in circles. “Hmm.. but I still wish I had made friends with that one guy from the bus earlier,” I pouted.

I tried to forget about him for a bit as I recalled a random moment from school, - “Gyuri is back! Omo! She looks even more stunning then ever! And I thought that was impossible for her to be even more stunning!” a girl gossiped, while a few boys stated, “she’s so ing hot…”-

hmmm… I thought in my head, “Gyuri? I heard she’s the most popular girl in the school… I think I saw her in a few of my classes, I think math and English?” I pouted, “I hope I can be friends with her… She seems like a nice person,” I smiled.

“Oh, my bus!” I dashed towards the bus that was about to leave, and I almost trampled over another rock, but I wasn’t able to catch it in time since I was still wearing my heels. “Aish… Oh well…” I calmed myself and walked steadily towards the bus shelter. “It’s alright, I don’t mind waiting for another half hour ^^, hope my Unnie would be okay with it…” I was about to dial her number till I saw a familiar figure in front of me about to light up a cigarette, in front of an area surrounded by children.

I couldn’t let the risk of the children’s health slide, so I approached the teenager and confronted him, “excuse me, sir, but is it okay if you can smoke somewhere else where there aren’t children around?” I asked politely.

He looked up from my shoes to my face, and furrowed his eyebrows, “, not you again, tch” he gritted his teeth, and put his lighter back in his pocket. My eyes shot wide opened while my mouth tried to smile, “Oh, Hongki-ssi? Jwesonghabnida, if I was rude…” I bowed. I bit the bottom of my lip as he stared at my uniform confusingly. “You go to that crappy Whimoon school?” he raised his eyebrow.

“Uh… Neh… It’s a really nice school,” I said shyly. “Yeah that’s what they all want you to think at first,” he smiled shrewdly. “What… Do you mean?” I stuttered, but he only responded with a shrug. “Hongki-ssi…?” my voice shook. “Um…” I paused and he only continued to glare at me, “mwao?” he asked uninterestedly. “Did you go to that school before?” I finally found the courage to ask him.

“Really? You never heard of the incident, not long ago, in that school?” he squint his eyes. “Incident?” I asked innocently. “Che,” he snickered and turned his head away for a split second then returned his focus on me again. “Is there a reason why you’re talking to me right now?” he growled. “Uh… I was hoping we can become friends?” my voice trailed off in fear as I bit the bottom of my lip, afraid of how he’ll answer once more.

“Friends? Didn’t I tell you to fu-. You know what never mind,” he sighed and walked past me, banging my shoulder against his. His lighter fell from his pocket and landed onto my shoe, “ugh..” I picked it up then examined it for a bit before I turned around. I looked into the distance and he was about to cross the streetlight.

I gripped onto the lighter firmly as I picked up my speed and rushed towards his direction, “Hongki! Wait!” I ran as fast as I could but he had already crossed the streets. Without thinking I ran after his way, almost reaching the other side of the road; though the lights had already turned green.

“Yah! Watch out!” He yelped as he pulled me into his arms and fell hard onto the paved sidewalk, causing me to collapse on top of him. I turned around to find out I had caused a whole scene… Several cars were crammed right next to each other almost crashing, and one almost rear-ended me. I panted in fear, and tears rolled down my cheeks. “omo, I can’t believe I caused so much trouble again…” I cried into Hongki’s arm and apologized pathetically once more.

“Gwetchana?” his voice was soothing this time which put my heart at ease, “neh,” I assured him. “Gwetchana?” I repeated in response. “Yah…” he lied as he rubbed his neck with the front of his palm. “Omo! No you’re not!” my eyes began to tear up again as I saw blood trail from his knees to his calves that were exposed from his ripped jeans. 

 

Narrative P.O.V

The driver ran out from his car and approached the two teens to ask if they were okay but his attitude changed immediately when he noticed the familiar young man, “did this young fellow bother you? Are you guys okay?” he wrinkled his nose as he tried to help Ji Eun up, but Ji Eun refused as she tried to wipe away Hongki’s blood. “Hongki, gwetchana?” her voice saddened as Hongki didn’t respond. “Hongki?” she recalled worriedly, but Hongki’s hearing became muffled and the pain started overpowering his body as his head fell hard onto the pavement. Soon enough Hongki became unconscious and laid insentiently onto the cold sidewalk, “omo!” she exclaimed while she tried to wake him up. 

to be continued...