Lion & the Lamb

Lion & the Lamb

Narrative P.O.V

“Don’t worry Ji Eun, you’ll do great!” Youngmin patted Ji Eun’s shoulder for encouragement.
“We’ll cheer for you!” says Mir.
“Thanks for the encouragement… But really, you guys didn’t need to skip first period to be here for me,” Ji Eun said guiltily.
“Of course we have to be here! We want to give you our full support Ji Eun!” Youngmin says merrily while Mir follows along with a nod.

Mir takes a small glance behind the curtains, “seems like everyone is here…” Mir turns back to Ji Eun, gripping onto her shoulders, and locking eyes for a brief moment, “Fighting!” he grins and ruffles her hair. “Thank you,” Ji Eun hugs Mir and Youngmin.
As Mir made his exit from the stage and into the audience, Ji Eun peaks through the curtains, as she takes in a deep breath, than exhaling it all out. “You can do this!” she clenches her hand into a fist, beckoning herself to do well, while Youngmin nods in agreement, “you’ll do great.”

“We are pleased to welcome our High school student candidates for the presidents of grade 11,” the principle announces as he stands behind the microphone. One by one the candidates walk onto the stage.

The first candidate was a tall emaciated boy named, Song Seunghyun, or as others like to label him, the noona heart captor. Several loud shrieks from numerous girls’ escape their mouths as Seunghyun seats himself to one of the chairs and gives a small wave to the audience. Even the slightest gesture made possible, sends the whole crowd yelping for more.  The second candidate was Choi Minhwan, who had a slight mesomorph built, and despite his body exterior, he was formally known as the ‘cutie,’ for his baby face and lovability.

Youngmin nudges Ji Eun, “it’s time for you to get on stage!” Ji Eun gulps. She enters the stage while most of the audience claps their hands out of curtsey, and while some clap as if it was mandatory. Ji Eun’s lips twists into a slight smile as she seats herself onto one of the chairs, while anxiously reshuffling her Q-cards back and forth.

Spontaneous cheers pulsates the walls and are accompanied by loud rhythms of clapping from the audience. Ji Eun looks to her left in no surprise; it was Gyuri making her grand entrance. Gyuri walked over to the principle and whispers something into his ears. She looks at the crowds and bows politely as she waves at them before taking her departure off the stage.

“Gyuri, where are you going?” Youngmin pulls onto Gyuri’s arm, while Jessica glares coldly at Gyuri.
“Isn’t it quite obvious? I am withdrawing from the elections,” she chuckles and frees herself from his grip.
“Yah! Gyuri!” Jessica bellows.
“Perfect!” Youngmin exclaims.
Gyuri looks at him bewilderedly, “What do you mean, perfect?”
“Can you be the nominee for Ji Eun then?” Youngmin asks desperately.
“Don’t listen to him Gyuri! Don’t you dare throw away all my hard work to be your nominee, just for him!” Jessica tugs onto Gyuri hand firmly. “What the hell do you even want from Gyuri anyways?” Jessia shoots an malevolent glare at Youngmin.
“There’s really no time to explain, just please accept this small favor,” Youngmin hands over the cards to Gyuri...

The audience falls silent as they stare at the stage perplexed. Small whispers gradually grow louder amongst the crowd. “What just happened? Why did she leave?” Everyone’s curiosity propagated, but just in time, she comes back with a few Q-cards in her hands, sitting herself behind Ji Eun.

“What are you doing?” Ji Eun questions Gyuri, “that seat is for my nominee…”
“I’m your nominee,” Gyuri smiles.
“But-”
“Youngmin offered it to me,” Gyuri cuts her off.
Ji Eun raises a brow at her while trying to put the pieces together.

“Well then, I guess this is all the candidates we will have this year then,” the principle proclaims. “I would like to welcome the first candidate’s nominee to the podium.”

Oh Wonbin, -who’s the captain leader of the soccer team, walks forward to the podium. He clears his throat as he speaks into the microphone, “Annyeonghasaeyo, my name is Oh Wonbin,” he greets politely.
“As you all know, -well most of you hopefully, I am the captain leader of the soccer team here in Whimoon Highschool. Today is an important day, because it is the time of the year where you have to decide which president you think is most suitable for our grade. I will like to nominate the amazing president, who is an all-round student, great musician, and also a noona killer,” Wonbin pauses to give a slight grin, “please give a warm welcome to candidate, SONG SEUNGHYUN!”  The crowd goes wild, screaming his name and whistling, as Seunghyun walks up to the podium to make his speech.

“I’m really confused… Where is Youngmin?” Ji Eun asks Gyuri, while disregarding Seunghyun’s speech.
“I wanted to withdraw from the elections but he insisted me to take the role as your nominee instead. Youngmin is sitting somewhere in the audience,” Gyuri answers half-heartedly.

Gyuri heads up to the podium holding the given Q cards from Youngmin. She looks down at the cards and reads aloud the written description, “This remarkable young candidate here on the stage with me, has endured a journey full of obstacles and hardship throughout her lifetime. She is a clever and ambitious girl that would do anything to fulfill others with happiness. I would like to present the candidate I nominated, Lee Ji Eun.”

“Are you ready?” Gyuri whispers into Ji Eun’s ear as she passes by her.
“I’m not so sure about this anymore…” Ji Eun gulps.
“Don’t worry,” Gyuri pats her shoulder for a boost as she jolts her closer to the podium.  

Ji Eun lets out a silent sigh as Gyuri walks away from the podium. Ji Eun’s hands start to shake and her voice becomes unsteady through the microphone, “Annyeong-ha-sae-yo,” she says, breaking down each and every syllable. “My name is Ji Eun, ibnida, (formal)” she chokes on her own saliva and continues to clear , “sorry, I’m not really great with speeches, especially in front of such a huge crowd,” she chuckles and gazes around at the nonchalant audience. 

Ji Eun looks at her Q cards and realized nothing had matched with what Gyuri had stated, about being ruthless and fortitude of privation. She tosses her Q cards onto the stage clumsily, “what is the biggest complaint you have ever made in your life?” an unexpected question emits from ; not knowing where her own sudden valor even came from. Ji Eun walks off from the podium and approaches closer to the edge of the stage.

“Hate doing chores!” a guy yells from the back. “School work is a pain!” another one shouts. “Earning money is hard!” “Hate going to school!” “Having to wake up early for school!” “Finding a job is frustrating!” Ji Eun giggles and gestures the audience with her hands, trying to settle them down.
“You guys want to know what my biggest complaint was?” Ji Eun smiles. “My first biggest complaint I could ever remember, is wanting to go to school,” Ji Eun admits but no one seems to believe her. “Booo!!” the audience jeers in sync.

“I wanted to attend school so badly, because I stayed in the hospital throughout most of my childhood,” she says, attempting to convince them. A tear roll downs Ji Eun’s cheeks but it didn’t stop her from continuing. She paces left and right slowly, expressing her rough timeline, “My mother died soon after she gave birth to me, and unfortunately 3 years later my father was announced dead during a car accident…” started swelling in apprehension.  “But I had my sister with me during the adversities. She had risked so much for me… And we promised each other we would always stick together, - like a true family should,” she states explicitly as the audience grew silent.

“Not long after, I was diagnosed with an auto-immune disease. I overheard my doctors saying, she won’t live up to age ten...” she pauses. “Have you guys ever eavesdropped and picked up on something that demoralizing to you?” Ji Eun’s voice became rickety, and everyone shakes their head in disagreement.

“I battled my disease for 12 years. When the disease was cleared, they told me I would be fine after the procedures of my recovery. But sometimes I wake up at night and fear it would come back again. Maybe it’s my paranoia taking over. I don’t know,” Ji Eun shrugs. Despite the sadness in her tone she manages to register a smile on her face, “but you know that’s okay, because if I fought it once, then I can fight it again.” 

“School is probably the best thing that had ever happened to me. I get to meet friends, obtain education – in which some people out there cannot have,” Ji Eun pauses. “I guess what I’m trying to say is, school is something that shouldn’t be taken for granted. If you struggled the way I had struggled, then you would understand how incredible this opportunity is compared to the one I lived 4 years ago. But if it weren’t for that I wouldn’t be the person who I am today. I am a valiant, resilient, and an optimistic person. Everyone in this whole room is important, and I would make sure each and every one of you will be acknowledged, because I believe every living being deserves it. I want to spread happiness throughout my fellow classmates, teachers and staff members. No one should be ignored, and I would make sure of that, because I am determined. I consider the fact that everyone should be kind to one another. Please accept my appreciation and vote for me,” Ji Eun shifts her eyes around the room, smiling to each and every one of the audience members. “Even if I do not win this election, I will still try my hardest to spread happiness to everyone. I promise,” she raises a pinkie finger in the air, and bows courteously to the crowd.

The audience was breathless by her speech; her story seemed surreal to them, yet inspirational at the same time. A discreet clap breaks the silence as Gyuri beckons the audience to clap along as well. Mr. Choi was incredibly touched by her speech, and has even got him clapping loud and proud for Ji Eun. The whole audience’s gradually started to clap louder for her as gaudy chanting fills the whole room, “Ji Eun! Ji Eun!”

“You did it!” Mir hugs Ji Eun tightly while entering backstage.
“You did wonderful!” says Youngmin.
“Wait, why did you offer Gyuri as my nominee instead?” Ji Eun asks curiously.
“Oh, I hope you aren’t mad about that…” Youngmin scratches his neck and apologizes, “I have stage fright. Forgot to mention it to you… Sorry” he titters timidly.

Truthfully speaking, Youngmin feared Ji Eun was endangered and targeted from the students that strongly disliked her. He thought having Gyuri as the nominee would put his mind at ease; since everyone favors her, and hopefully it will make Ji Eun’s state less threatening if Gyuri was on her side.

“So anyways, are we going to chill now, since school is about to end?” Mir asks, breaking free from the hug.
“Sure. Let me just go thank Gyuri first,” Ji Eun says.
“She already left though,” Youngmin points at the gymnasium door.
“Oh,” Ji Eun sighs.

~~~

“Oh my goodness! This dog is so cute!!!!” Mir squeals while petting the dog in the vet clinic.
“This cat is cuter!” Youngmin begs to differ.
“I’m so glad you brought us here Ji Eun,” Mir says.
“No problem. Just make sure you wash them properly,” Ji Eun smiles.
“Ji Eun, your phone is ringing,” Youngmin points at the phone on the table.

Ji Eun walks over and picks it up, “Hello?”
“Where are you? Your sister isn’t home, and dinner is already prepared…” Hongki clears his throat shyly.
“I’m volunteering at the Vet Clinic with my friends right now,” Ji Eun answers.
“When are you done?” Hongki asks.
“Soon I suppose…” Ji Eun trails off, “Youngmin! Don’t use that shampoo, use the other one! –Hongki I’ll call you back later,” she hangs up before Hongki gets a chance to respond.

“Yah!” Hongki shouts.
“Where is the damn Vet Clinic?” Hongki looks through his phone search for the closet one around him.

After searching for the directions he quickly paces towards the animal shelter in hopes of finding Ji Eun. He spots the shelter around the corner and hastily enters the building.
“Is Ji Eun here?” Hongki asks one of the workers at a desk.
“Ji Eun!” The girl at the desk calls out behind her shoulder, as Ji Eun obediently comes out.
“Oh, Hongki!” Ji Eun squeals and dashes into his arms.
“Stop hugging me…” Hongki blushes while struggling to get Ji Eun off of him.

“Sorry,” Ji Eun scratches her head and looks down at her shoes timidly.
“Let’s go,” Hongki grips onto her hand.
“I still have another half hour with my friends though,” Ji Eun pouts.
“Isn’t that Hongki?” Mir whispers to Youngmin while staring wide-eyed at Hongki.
“Yeah, I’m Hongki, why?” Hongki growls.
“You guys know him?” Ji Eun smiles, completely clueless about everything.
“Everyone knows him…” Youngmin trails off. Mir seemed a bit flustered in the presence of Hongki. He walks towards Hongki and says, “What are you doing with Ji Eun?”
“I’m taking her home,” Hongki answers.
“Yah! Ji Eun, don’t you know how dangerous he is?” Mir turns to Ji Eun with a worried face.
“I’ll walk her home,” Mir says to Hongki with a stern voice.
“Hongki is really nice, why are you being so rude Mir?” Ji Eun holds onto Hongki’s hand, and he accepts her hand without hesitation.

Hongki looks at Mir and notices his worried expression, and somehow Hongki felt a bit jealous. “I’m taking her home. She prefers to walk with me anyways,” Hongki grins shrewdly.
Mir looks at Hongki enviously, “if you hurt her, I’ll hurt you.”
“Mir! Don’t say that!” Ji Eun shouts at Mir for the first time. “Hongki is a good oppa, why are you being so mean?” Ji Eun says, making Hongki blush even more.
“You won’t understand, Ji Eun,” Youngmin stares uneasily at Hongki.
“Let’s go,” Hongki drags her swiftly out of the building.

~~

“Why are you picking me up so early, anyways?” Ji Eun asks while still being dragged by Hongki’s hand.
Hongki starts to walk slower and realizes he has no clue either, why he decided to pick her up early. ‘Because I felt lonely…’ He thought to himself, he shook his head vigorously, trying to get rid of that irrational thought.
“Your sister didn’t want you to be out for too long,” Hongki lies, trying to cover up his feelings.
“Oh…” Ji Eun removes her wrist from his grip and clutches onto his palm instead.
“If you want to hold my hand, it feels better when you do it like this, you know?” Ji Eun smiles and tangles her fingers between his, filling in the empty gaps.
“Who said I wanted to hold your hand?” Hongki looks away and unlocks his hand from hers, but not completely letting go.
“Well…” Ji Eun pauses. “I want to hold your hand…” she looks up at him and smiles, making Hongki experiencing another heartwarming feeling.

~~

After arriving home, they sat on the roof while eating a small snack. It seemed that almost every night it was the same ritual, just sitting there on the roof under the starlit sky, while chatting away till midnight.
“I wonder why Youngmin and Mir were acting that way… Hongki is a really caring oppa, I don’t get why they seemed to not like you,” Ji Eun says to herself, without realizing Hongki heard her.
“A lot of people don’t like me…” Hongki takes a sip of his soda.
“You seem very likeable though,” Ji Eun sits closer to Hongki and smiles.
“Tch. Oh please, it’s just you who is completely clueless about things…” Hongki denies.
“You just need to be more sociable, and then everyone would know what an amazing person you are,” Ji Eun says, but Hongki shakes his head, refusing to acknowledge her words.

“I had to paint this for my art class,” Ji Eun grabs her painting beside her and shoves it in front of Hongki’s face.
“Is that a lion?” Hongki points at the creature.
“Yeah, and that’s a lamb,” Ji Eun points at the other creature tucked in the lions arm.
“It’s nice,” Hongki stares at it with a small smile on his face, “but why a lion and a lamb?”
“You said it before didn’t you? We’re complete opposites, like a Lion and a Lamb…” Ji Eun blushes. “You said we wouldn’t get along, but we did, so I painted this as a symbol of our friendship,” Ji Eun’s face reddens.
Hongki looks at her saddened yet happy at the same time. “I don’t deserve to have friends, especially someone like you,” Hongki says quietly while averting his eyes from hers, but Ji Eun didn’t seem to hear him and continues talking about how happy she is to meet someone like him. Hongki’s heart slowly opened up more and he even allowed himself to smile happily once more.   

Sorry for not updating in a while :( -had track and school work...