......

Lion & the Lamb

Clue..

Narrative P.O.V

 “Ahem, is anyone sitting there?” a sweet tender voice that belonged to Gyuri, awoken Ji Eun from her trance. “Oh no it’s free,” she offered the seat to Gyuri. “Thanks,” she sat herself next to Ji Eun, though her normal seat was usually in the far corner. “I thought you usually sit over there,” Ji Eun pointed at her original seat. “The guys are sort of creepy,” she bit the bottom of her lip, “does it bother you if I sit here?” she asked innocuously. “Aniya!” I assured her. ^^ “I’m actually really happy; I wanted to be friends with you the moment I saw you!” Ji Eun gestured her hand in front of her, “my name is Ji Eun…” she introduced herself politely.

“Is that so?” Gyuri smiled and bowed her head, “hello Ji Eun. I’m-“

“Gyuri! The prettiest girl in the school right?” she chuckled.

“Good afternoon class,” Ms. Tae sat in her desk and waited for the students to get organized. “Has your home room teacher mentioned anything about the school president’s elections yet?” she asked the whole class and everyone nodded their heads. “Show hands of who are actually considering trying out for the elections?…” She looked around the room, and only a few raised their hands.

Ji Eun looked next to her shoulder and saw that Gyuri hasn’t held up her hand, “I thought you were going to run for president?” she nudged Gyuri. “I don’t know if I want to anymore…” Gyuri whispered. “Why not?” Ms. Tae faced both of us and raised her eyebrow, “you’re an all kill with elections,” she said straightforwardly, but Gyuri just shrugged. “How about you Ji Eun? You’re fluent in English, it may help raise the chances of you becoming the class president,” she suggested to Ji Eun.

“Che…” Jessica tittered jealously as she glared at Ji Eun and Gyuri seated next to each other. “Why is Gyuri sitting with that ?…” she thought to herself. 

“Okay well even if no one is interested in the elections, I will still like to encourage a practice speech for the election, and everything must be written in English and presented by tomorrow,” Ms. Tae handed us rubrics for the creative writing assignment.

Ji Eun started chatting away with Gyuri, “how long have you been in this school?”   “From first year, (grade 9)” she answered without hesitation. “How about you?” Gyuri asked her as well. “This year is my first time being outside in a school…” Ji Eun replied. “So you’ve been homeschooled?” Gyuri asked uninterestedly as she flipped through her notebook whilst jotting down notes. “Yup!” Ji Eun smiled happily as the sensation of making new friends fluttered her heart.

“Ji Eun do your work,” Ms. Tae tapped on her desk and Ji Eun followed her demands immediately. She started writing 1 sentence within seconds, another in 5 seconds, and just in a flash she has already finished a paragraph, since she was a gifted student, she is able to work more effectively. “You write fast…” Gyuri said apathetically while she stared at Ji  Eun’s work.

A girl’s hand slammed onto Gyuri’s desk and the owner of those slender hands belonged to Jessica’s. “Yah! What is this? Why did you ditch me and sit with her!” she furrowed her eyebrows and pointed at Ji Eun. “Mwao?” Gyuri looked at Jessica innocently as if she didn’t know what was going on. “If it tick’s you off then why don’t you just pull up a chair and sit here with me then?” Gyuri rolled her eyes.

Jessica pulled a chair from behind the desk and sat herself between Gyuri and Ji Eun. Jessica kept on looking to the left of the corner of her eye, watching coldly at Ji Eun as she did her work. Ji Eun felt uncomfortable as she noticed Jessica’s strange actions towards her, and Ji Eun couldn’t help but wonder why a lot of girl students despised her.

After the quiet period passed by, it was time for lunch and most of the students from period 2 English class had lunch now; including Gyuri and Jessica. Ji Eun tapped Gyuri’s shoulder, “Unnie, can I eat lunch with you?” she asked cutely. ^^ Jessica gave her a disapproval look but Gyuri accepted her instead. “Yah! Wae!?” Jessica pouted.

“I’m so glad to make new friends!” Ji Eun squealed in delight, sitting herself in an empty table in the cafeteria with her new ‘friends’ Gyuri and Jessica. “No, I’m not your friend,” Jessica said rudely, which resulted in getting herself kicked by Gyrui under the table, “shut up will you?” Gyuri told her off. “She’s just stubborn don’t worry about her,” Gyuri smiled at Ji Eun. “Ah! Ji Eun!” Mir and Youngmin dashed towards her table. “Omo! Let’s sit here!” Mir beamed a smirk across his face but Youngmin got a bit angry since he didn’t want Mir to annoy Gyuri again, “Yah! We’re going to go out to eat remember?” he dragged Mir by the wrist. “Sorry Ji Eun, I’ll make sure he won’t bother you guys…” he pulled him away, and Mir started to whine in disappointment, but he has promised Youngmin to go out and eat with him so he couldn’t turn back now…

After the two boys left, Jessica, Gyuri and Ji Eun ate their meals slowly as she tried to converse with them. All she was thinking about was what Mr. Choi was talking about in art class, “Jessica, do you remember when Mr. Choi was yelling in art class?” she reminded her. “Yeah because of you,” Jessica grunted. “Sorry,” Ji Eun apologized and stared down at her plate. “What happened?” Gyuri looked at both of them confusingly. “Nothing…” Jessica lied.

“What happened…” Ji Eun gulped, “6 months… Ag-ago?” she stuttered. “How do you not know?” Jessica raised her eyebrow. Gyuri turned her focus somewhere else and stopped eating. Gyuri stood up and threw away her food whilst she packed up. Without a word she left the cafeteria, leaving Jessica and her alone. “What’s wrong?” Ji Eun said worriedly.

“You really don’t know?” Jessica’s voice was more serious now. She nodded in response; she sighed and packed up her stuff, “follow me.” she packed up her lunch and followed up behind her, as she led Ji Eun behind the school. “I’m only telling you once, so listen carefully,” she gritted her teeth at Ji Eun, “aish… I don’t even know why I’m about to tell you…” she sighed heavily. 

“There was a boy, -whose name shall not be mentioned in this school, was bullied a lot from his classmates,-“ “Ah! Why was he bullied?” Ji Eun cried. “Let me finish okay?” Jessica shushed Ji Eun. “I suppose he was bullied because they all knew his father was a criminal, and everyone despised his father, causing automatic hatred towards that boy… Plus he was an easy target, he was fragile, weak and poor,” she paused. “I don’t even remember how it fully started but some time ago Gyuri dated him, and I’m not so sure why… She pitied him a lot… But whatever that’s not the point…” she looked up at the clouds and continued, “all the boys were jealous of him since Gyuri is one of the most popular girls in the school, so they started beating him up more harshly this time… Though that seemed normal they never expected him to take revenge…-“

Jessica was cut off as the bell rung loudly, and Ji Eun never got to hear the end of the story…

 

************* [After School…]

 “I wonder who that boy is…” Ji Eun thought whilst rambling down the sidewalk towards her bus. Ji Eun’s bag was a lot lighter today since she finished all her homework during class time; she decided to go back home early, eager to see Hongki oppa... She smiled foolishly to herself as she pictured him in her mind.

~

She arrived home and heard the TV was on, she looked in the living room in hopes to find Hongki but instead it was Soyeon. “Soyeon!!” she dashed into her arms and rubbed her cheek against Soyeons shoulder, “I missed you, Unnie~” Ji Eun pouted. “Sorry,” she apologized, “did Hongki look after you?” she nodded, “speaking of Hongki… Where is he right now?”

“He’s at work. If you want to visit him you’d better do your homework first before I can let you go out…” Soyeon ordered. “I finished it all in class, so can I go then?” she pleaded. “Do you need a ride?” Soyeon offered but she wanted to conserve energy so she rejected and decided to walk instead. “Arasseo, just don’t be late, and make sure Hongki brings you back home safely, but don’t bother him if he is busy. If anything happens call me!” Soyeon nagged.

“Arasseo!” she rushed out of the house and walked to the supermarket. By the time she arrived there it was 6:30 pm and Hongki wasn’t there. She spotted Hyuna in the 3rd aisle, “Hyuna Unnie!” she bowed, “where is Hongki?” she asked politely. “He isn’t with you?” she raised her eyebrow. “Hmm? Aniya…” she answered truthfully. “Then he must be at the bar then…” she said half-heartedly. “Oh…” Ji Eun sighed.

Hyuna stared at her weirdly, “why are you still here?… He wouldn’t be returning here tonight if he’s working at the bar…” Ji Eun looked up at Hyuna in disappointment, “really?... Then may  I know where the bar is then?” Ji Eun asked anxiously. “Even if I told you where it was, you wouldn’t be able to get in, and it’s dangerous there,” she sounded annoyed while she stacked the food items. “Look I’m busy, why don’t you go back home?” She tried her best getting rid of Ji Eun.

Ji Eun turned around and was about to head out the entrance but noticed a “help wanted” sign. She quickly turned back and held onto Hyuna’s hand; “I want to help!” she jumped and pointed at the sign. “You want to be an employee here? Che,” she sneered and yanked her hands away from hers. “Don’t think you can get hired just that easily! Look at you! You’re short, clumsy, and annoying! Who would want to hire you!?” she bawled angrily and folded her arms in front of her chest, cursing under her breath.

“Is that a good way to treat a costumer, Hyuna?” Manager Yeon said sternly as he stood next to her, “Sorry about that miss,” he apologized on Hyuna’s behalf. “Hyuna do you do this to all of the costumers!? Is this why we have no service and new employees?” Her face was flushed pink in embarrassment and anger. “You Better Watch Your Filthy Mouth Or You’ll be Fired! ARRASSEO!?” he howled. Hyuna apologized sincerely and rushed back to work.

“So you’re interested in a job?” he turned his focus onto Ji Eun and smiled; the sudden change of tone in his voice surprised Ji Eun.  She responded with a nod, “Yes!” she said enthusiastically. He ruffled her hair and was glad to finally find an employee willing to work here, “do you have a resume?” She shook her head in response, “jwisonghabnida…” she apologized. “It’s okay. How about we do a test tomorrow at 4 pm and that will determine whether or not you will be hired or not,” he winked at her and handed over a business card to her. “Ah! Thank you!” she bowed.

“Um… J-Just wondering… Do you know where… H-Hongki Oppa is?” she stammered. “Today is Thursday… So he should be at the bar around the block,” he answered. “Thank You!!!” she said optimistically. But before she ran off in search for Hongki she decided to apologize to Hyuna first, “Hyuna … I’m sorry about before,” Ji Eun apologized genuinely.

Hyuna gave her the cold treatment and continued working. Ji Eun felt really guilty, as if she has done something to make her hate her lot, and she didn’t like to be hated… “Hyuna… Did you go to Whimoon Highschool before?” she asked curiously, trying to bring up a conversation to loosen the stiff atmosphere between them.

She quickly turned around and shot a frightening glare at her as she held onto Ji Eun’s wrist firmly; dragging her outside the supermarket. “Don’t ever bring that place up again!” she yelled and threw Ji Eun to the ground. Hyuna bent down and her face was only inches away from Ji Eun’s, “Especially around MY Hongki Oppa,” she emphasized on the word “my.” Ji eun nodded helplessly and stayed put till Hyuna left her sight.

“Woah…” Ji Eun exhaled and her heart paced faster in fear… “Hyuna doesn’t seem too happy today…” Even at this time Ji Eun felt the need to help Hyuna boost up her mood, so she went to a nearby accessory shop around the corner. Ji Eun entered the store and picked out a few accessories she thought would suit Hyuna; after she bought the items she quickly went back to the supermarket.

“Hyuna, Unnie, I’m sorry for causing so much trouble to you,” Ji Eun bowed politely and handed over her gift to Hyuna. Hyuna looked at her confusingly and remained speechless, as she saw Ji Eun leave the supermarket. “What just happened?” Hyuna raised her eyebrow as she analyzed the hair accessory that was given to her. Hyuna smiled and even giggled a little bit, at the thought of how childish Ji Eun was, but this time her smile was genuine. She placed the flowery hair accessory in her ponytail and continued to work.

Ji Eun rushed out of the supermarket and walked down a path she wasn’t so familiar with. She picked up her phone and dialed Hongki’s number, but there was no response. She sighed and tried again numerous times while she continued to walk down the dark alley.

~~~~

Hongki was setting up at the bar and noticed his phone was ringing. He pulled out his phone from his jacket and read the 10 missed calls from an unknown number, before he got the chance to click erase, an incoming call flashed across his screen and he accidently pressed the accept button. “Hello?” he spoke. “Hongki oppa… Oh I mean Hongki… Sorry!” Hongki palmed his face and regretted picking up the phone; he was about to hang up till he heard her phone drop onto the ground, followed up by a small squeal on the other end of the phone. “What the?” He furrowed his eyebrows. “Yah! Hello!?” he chanted but there was no response. He repeated, “hello!?” hoping there would be a response, and luckily there was but it was distant.

“Aww look at this girl, she’s so cute,” Hongki heard a guy in the background. “You’re so pretty. Let me treat you to dinner,” another guy’s voice was heard on the other end of Hongki’s phone. “N-No… It’s okay…” Ji Eun’s voice was far away but Hongki was able to make out her words. “Please… D-Don’t touch m-me,” she stuttered. Hongki was alarmed from a sudden loud scream he heard over his phone which penetrated his ear.

To Be Continued….

------------------------------------

Should I get rid of the Gifs? Or do you like it?

Clue...