What Are You Doing Here?

Lion & the Lamb

Narrative P.O.V

“No, ,” Hongki answered impudently.
“Yah!” Principle Lee slammed his palm hard against the wooden desk, “I do not tolerate rude manners, and if you’re going to attend this school you better behave as a regular student!” His voice echoed around the room.
He clicked his tongue, “aish, look at this kid! How can someone behave this way towards an elder?” Principle Lee said to himself, as he walked towards Mr. Choi.
“Help him fill out the paper work and take him into the guidance room to figure out his courses for this semester,” he ordered Mr. Choi.
Mr. Choi turned around and gestured a handshake, “You can call me Mr. Choi, Hongki ssi.”
“Alright, Mr. Choi. If you don’t mind, can we hurry up?” Hongki sighed, “before I regret coming here…”
“Regret?” Mr. Choi questioned.
“Nevermind! Let’s just do the paperwork, dammit.”
“You need to learn how to settle down, or Principle Lee will scold you again,” Mr. Choi gave a warm smile and ruffled Hongki’s hair, “alright, let’s get you ready for your classes!” He walked towards the guidance room as Hongki followed behind.

****

“Where is Mr. Choi?” Jessica asked the supply teacher.
“He is in a meeting with the principle,” the supply teacher answered while turning back to the lesson.
“Alright, everybody get your books out and turn to page 344.”
“Aww, this ! I wore my best outfit today too,” a girl whimpered behind Ji Eun.
“No kidding! It took me so long to perfect my makeup,” another girl cried in sync.

“I wonder what Hongki would like for dinner,” Ji Eun blushed, while planning out possible ideas that suited Hongki’s preference.

“Ji Eun, stop day dreaming and get your book out,” the teacher demanded.
“Sorry,” Ji Eun’s face lit up red, as she grabbed her book out from her bag.

*****

“So what classes would you like to have, Hongki?” Mr. Choi said while typing his name into the computer.
“Not sure,” Hongki gulped as he imagined himself sitting next to Ji Eun.
“Are you warm or something? Your face is really red…” Mr. Choi placed his palm on Hongki’s forehead.
“I’m fine,” he brushed away Mr. Choi’s hand.
“Are there any free classes with…” Hongki paused, and blushed once again.
“Ah! No need to ask, I know how to help you,” Mr. Choi smiled. “Pretty girls, right?” he chuckled.
“What!? No, that’s not what I meant…” Hongki gritted his teeth.
“How about Gyuri? She’s pretty popular, but just be careful there’s a lot of competition amongst the male population in this school.”
Hongki looked at down at his shoes as flashbacks of Gyuri pinned his heart achingly.
“Sorry, I didn’t mean to embarrass you like that,” Mr. Choi grinned.
“Ji Eun.” Hongki almost choked on her name.
“Hmm?” Mr. Choi turned his focus onto Hongki’s face, which was a bit damp from the nervous sweat.
“I would like to be in a class with Ji Eun…” Hongki bit the bottom of his lip, feeling like a complete fool.
“Ah, Ji Eun. She has become a hot topic recently…”
“Hot topic?”
“She amazed all of us with her speech during the student elections. She looks really cute and innocent but her personality is really something; she’s quite ambitious,” Mr. Choi beamed.
“Are you by any chance …” Hongki paused and leaned his head closer to Mr. Choi; as he squinted his eyes at him.
“A ert?”
Mr. Choi laughed, “haha, do I seem like a ert to you?”
“How should I know?” Hongki shrugged.
“Don’t worry, I’m not interested in young girls, nor am I interested in boys,” Mr. Choi teased.
“che,” Hongki gritted his teeth, “Are you like this with other students?”
“Like what?” Mr. Choi raised his eyebrow at him.
“You’re really chilled for a teacher, you know?…”
“This is my personality, Hongki ssi.”

“Anyways, let’s get back on topic. Any decisions on what classes you prefer?” Mr. Choi handed over a piece of paper with different subjects.
“What does Ji Eun have… If I was Ji Eu, what would I choose? Maybe art? Damn… I still can’t figure it out…” Hongki contemplated.
“Nothing comes to mind?” Mr. Choi asked. “How about thinking of a career and I can suggest a list of subjects that can help you succeed.”
“Just put me in any classes with her, and I’ll be fine with whatever you offer me,” Hongki blushed and handed back the sheet of paper.
“Her?” Mr. Choi smiled, “oh, Gyuri?”
Hongki gave an annoyed expression.
“Ji Eun right?” Mr. Choi sneered, “Alright, well she has art first thing in the morning, let’s see if there’s any room left for you.”
“Oh, look! There’s one spot left. Wow you’re pretty lucky, and hey Gyuri is also in that class as well! Haha, look at you! You’re receiving a lot of luck today. Daebak!”
Hongki gulped at the thought of being in the same classroom as Gyuri. “Can we skip that one? I don’t want art.”
“Are you sure? You’re not afraid of other guys trying to hit on Ji Eun?” Mr. Choi grinned slyly.
“What? Why does that matter to me? Why are you even like this… Why are you saying things like this to me as if you know our…” Hongki swallowed, not knowing how to finish his sentence.
“Chemistry?” Mr. Choi turned his gaze at Hongki, “I’m not trying to sound like a stalker or anything, but I saw you guys holding hands down the street before.”
Hongki’s face flushed red, remembering that night made his heart pound even faster. He got up and quickly stormed out of the room.
“Wait! Hongki!” Mr. Choi yelled. “Aish.” He quickly finished entering his courses into the first semester as he printed it out. He grabbed the paper and hurried out into the hallway to find Hongki.
Mr. Choi dashed and reached out for Hongki’s hand.
“Don’t just walk out! I haven’t even given you your schedule yet.” Mr. Choi handed him the paper, “do you need a tour?”
“No, I’ve been here before. Thanks.” Hongki looked down at his schedule to find out the room numbers his classes were in.
“First period is about to end, how about trying to find your second class instead?” Mr. Choi recommended.
“Wait a minute. Did you come here without any school materials? How can you be this irresponsible? Come on; let me get you a few things, just in case you get a strict teacher,” Mr. Choi guided him to his office and gave him a pen and a binder with paper. “That’ll do for now, but remember to bring your stuff tomorrow, okay?”
Hongki nodded. “I’ll get going now, thanks.”

***********

Hongki ushered down the hallway to find his room number, “Art first period? What the hell! I clearly said I didn’t want it… What’s next? Music second period, lunch, Math third period, then English last period…” He read out loud.

He rushed into the class in hopes of sharing the same period with Ji Eun but his hopes vanished as he looked around the class with no sight of Ji Eun, anywhere.
“By any chance, is there a student named Ji Eun in this class?” Hongki asked the music teacher.
“No, sorry,” the male teacher replied.
“Okay. Well I’m a new student in this class, my name is Lee Hongki,”
“Welcome, Hongki ssi, my name is Mr. Oh. What kind of instrument can you play?” Mr. Oh asked.
“Instrument?” Hongki’s eyes widened, and suddenly realized that he didn’t know how to play any instruments at all. “, I should’ve told Mr. Choi about this instead of letting him choose my courses for me…” Hongki sighed.
“Pardon?”
“Um, I can sing…” Hongki gulped, “well, that’s what people have been telling me ever since.”
Mr. Oh chortled, “alright, but it’s best if you choose an instrument to play, because we do instrumental pieces most of the time.”
I guess I can ask Ji Eun to teach me the guitar.
“I’ll choose the acoustic guitar… But I don’t think I’ll be able to play till next week because my knuckles are cramping up from moving heavy boxes,” Hongki lied.
“Sounds fair, go ahead and take a seat anywhere you like.”

~~~~~

After 45 minutes, the bell rung and it was time for lunch. Hongki’s stomach growled, he forgot to bring the lunch Ji Eun made for him, and most importantly he forgot to bring his pack of cigarettes. Now he’s going to be even hungrier. Then an epiphany occurred, “maybe Ji Eun has lunch right now too!” Hongki exclaimed, trying to avoid his thoughts of hunger.

He walked into the cafeteria and walked up and down the tables, searching for Ji Eun, but there were no signs of her anywhere. Suddenly Hongki’s phone rang, he grabbed out his cell from his pocket and read the caller I.D. Hyuna.
“Hyuna?”
“Oppa! Are you coming to work tonight? I miss you! Where are you right now?”
“I’m doing something right now. Can I talk to you later?”
“Are you with that Ji Eun girl? Oppa, you know I get jealous easily.” Hyuna whimpered.
“No.”
Suddenly Hongki felt something pound against his back and a grip around his waist.
“Hongki!! What are you doing here?” Ji Eun shouted gleefully while hugging him tightly, “I can’t believe you came, oppa!”
“Oh Ji Eun, you’re here,” Hongki turned around and smiled.
“You liar! You are with Ji Eun!” Hyuna shouted over the phone, but Hongki shut his phone without saying anything further.

 

“Hello? Hongki? Hello?” Hyuna chanted but the line was dead.
“What is that doing with my Oppa?” Hyun bit the bottom of her lip angrily as she slammed her phone shut.

“What are you doing here, Hongki?” Ji Eun looked up at Hongki while her chin rested on his chest.
Hongki ruffled her hair, “Your sister told me it was better if I look after you if I went to the same school with you…” he lied.
“I’m so happy!” Ji Eun jumped up and down, “let’s eat lunch together! Oh and I have to introduce you to my friends!” Ji Eun dragged Hongki towards Gyuri and Jessica.
“Oppa this is-”
“You bastard! What the are you doing here?” Jessica yelled furiously.

To be continued~