It's Been A While Since I've Smiled

Lion & the Lamb

Thats Liana, by the way ^

Narrative P.O.V

Mr. Choi raised his finger towards the doorbell; he took a deep breath and cleared his throat as he pressed it. The door opened and to his surprise, a girl stood before him.
“How may I help you?” she spoke formally.
“Is there a L. Joe in this house?” Mr. Choi asked.
“Aish, did he do something wrong again? Ah, seriously, that boy always causes trouble. What did he do this time, and how much do I have to owe you?” she said in annoyance.
“Oh, I just need to discuss something with him,” Mr. Choi said calmly, trying to take note of her behaviour. So he’s a troublemaker, eh?
“May I ask, what kind of relationship you have with him?” Mr. Choi asked curiously.
“I’m his noona, and only guardian… My name is Lee Hyori,” she boewed slightly.
“Oh, my name is Choi Jonghoon, I’m a teacher at Whimoon High school,” Mr. Choi bowed.
“Omo! ,” she cussed under her breath, “I’m so sorry, really I-”
“Why are you apologizing?” Mr. Choi raised his brow, feeling suspicious.
“Um, come in. Joe is upstairs,” she gulped. “Joe come down here!” she yelled from downstairs.
“What?” L. Joe came down the stairs and hesitated as he made eye contact with Mr. Choi.
“Who are you?” he said informally.
Hyori slapped the back of his head, “don’t speak so rudely,” she leaned into his ear and whispered, “He’s a teacher from Whimoon High school.”
“Yeah so?” He pushed her away.
“I have something to discuss with you,” Mr. Choi said with a stern voice.
“Look, I don’t have a lot of time to waste, so you better hurry up,” L. Joe felt unsecure in his presence.
“Alright, I’ll cut to the chase then. I am an undercover cop, and I have every right to demand answers,” Mr. Choi grabbed out his badge and revealed it to L. Joe.
L. Joe gulped and played it cool, “okay, so what do you want, officer?”
“I know you have taken one of the school’s surveillance video during the ‘incident,’ where is it?” Mr. Choi said confidently.
Hyori walked away nervously, while L. Joe stayed calm. “I don’t know what you are talking about.”
“Oh really?” Mr. Choi smirked, “I have this tape from the office. Are you sure you haven’t taken it? Because in this video, it tells a different story,” Mr. Choi grabbed out his smart phone and showed the video to him. In the video, L. Joe broke into the surveillance room late at night after the incident and broke the video recorder, stealing the recorded evidence, not realizing there was another camera in the office.
“I burned it,” L. Joe smiled, “and I’ll burn that too!” he reached out for Mr. Choi’s phone but unfortunately Mr. Choi’s fast reflex made him miss.
“Doesn’t matter, I already transferred all of the evidence to my co-workers in the police department. You’re coming with me to downtown, young man,” Mr. Choi grabbed his handcuffs and secured it onto his wrist.
“Damn you!” L. Joe swore.
“Wait!” Hyori ran towards Mr. Choi, “please take care of him. Although I don’t want him to go to jail, I know it’s for his own good. Teach him well, and train him how to behave.,” Hyori cried and gave him the VCR tape, “I took it from him before he ws able to burn it. He causes too much troubles and worries in this household. I want him to stop for good…” Hyori hugged L. Joe from behind, “please, my little brother, take responsibility and own up to your own mistakes. Learn from this…” Hyori cried and let go of him.
“I’m sorry, noona…” L. Joe said with sincerity.
“Don’t worry, he won’t go to jail, most likely he’ll be on probation and do community service,” Mr. Choi reassured her, “a few police officers are going to come to your house for questioning, so stay put at home.”

~~~~

Hongki sat on the couch as he picked up the guitar next to him and practiced the music notes Jaejin taught him. He strummed the notes carefully and slowly. He gradually got the hang of it and played it faster.
“You’re up early,” Ji Eun yawned.
“Oh, Ji Eun-ah,” Hongki smiled and took his focus off the guitar and onto Ji Eun, “morning, did you sleep well?”
Ji Eun shook her head, “I had a nightmare,” she pouted.
Hongki patted the seat next to him, gesturing her to sit down, “what kind of dream?”
Ji Eun sat down next to him and cried. Hongki batted his eyes, “What’s wrong?” he put the guitar away and carried Ji Eun into his arms instead.
“I had a dream that you ran away from me…” Ji Eun wiped her tears away with her fingers.
Hongki tittered, “is that something worth crying about?” He brushed the tears off her face with his thumb and kissed her cheek.
Ji Eun nodded, “I don’t want you to leave me,” she choked on her words.
Hongki looked at her pitifully, “I promise not to leave you,” he said with uncertainty. He held her tightly in his arms, “you’re too important to me.”
Ji Eun stares at Hongki’s saddened eyes, “you promise?”
“Yes,” Hongki lifted his pinkie finger as Ji Eun hooked her pinkie with his.
I’m sorry, I’ve caused you pain. Don’t cry again, because I’m afraid one day I might not be able to wipe those tears away for you… Ji Eun…

“Don’t be sad anymore,” Hongki winked. “I wrote you a song, hopefully it’ll cheer you up…”

Hongki took a deep breath and cleared his throat. He took out his music sheet he composed and set it in front of him. He placed the fingers steadily on the neck of the guitar and strummed the notes delicately as sweet melodies echoed around the house.

 

 

“You know that I’m a crazy punk,
I do what I want when I feel like it,
All I wanna do is lose control,
But you don’t really give a ,
you don’t let it go, let it go, with it,
cause you’re a crazy rock’n’roll,

you said hey,
what’s your name,
it took one look,
and now I’m not the same,
yeah you said hey,
and since that day,
you stole my heart,
and you’re the one to blame,

Yeah,
and that’s why I smile,
It’s been a while,
since every day and everything has felt this right,
and now you’re turning it all around,
and suddenly you’re all I need,
The reason why I smile,”

Ji Eun clapped and cheered, “Oppa!! That’s amazing! You should be a singer! You composed that? Wow!! Daebak!”
Hongki blushed, “thank you for believing in me and making me smile everyday…”
Ji Eun wrapped her arms around his neck and looked directly in his eyes from the side, “thanks for always being there for me.”
Hongki grabs her head gently and pulls her in for a kiss. Ji Eun’s face reddened, “I’m still not used to all of this,” she bit the bottom of her lip and hid her embarrassed face in his chest.
“Me neither, but I couldn’t resist…” Hongki brushed his fingers through her hair.
“I’m going to go make breakfast,” Ji Eun got up and went to the kitchen, still thinking all of this was a dream.

Hongki picked up his phone and looked at the calls he missed, “1 missed call from Manager Yeon, and 3 missed calls from Hyuna, and 10 missed calls from Mother F****.”
“Aish, what does this want from me? Hongki sighed and ignored the missed calls. He went to the key pad and dialed Manager Yeons number, after about half a minute he picked up, “Oh, Hongki, how are you?”
“Good… You?” Hongki asked, though he wasn’t interested.
“Listen, I have something to tell you…” Manager Yeon paused, and sighed, “I’m going to be shutting down the supermarket, so-”
“WHAT? WHY?” Hongki yelled into the phone.
“Hongki! Calm down,” Manager Yeon continued, “there’s barely any business here, and you know that, there’s really no point in keeping up with this store,”
“Yah, but we can still make it work! We can put up advertisements and-”
“Hongki, I know you care, and you’re a really good kid. This supermarket has been opened for business for too long, and new markets are taking over, we can’t do anything about that. Plus, you’re busy with school, and Hyuna has no time to work anymore…”
“But,” Hongki whined.
“It’s okay! I’m old anyways, I should take time off, and you should too. Go and take Ji Eun out on dates and don’t waste your time. She’s precious, and I could tell how much she means to you, so take advantage of this opportunity… Or else other guy’s will swoop in and-”
“Yes, I know… I already… Am…” Hongki trailed off.
“What!? And you didn’t tell me!?” Manager Yeon exclaimed with joy.
“Do I have to tell you everything?” Hongki rolled his eyes.
“Okay, well when you guys get married remember to invite me!” Manager Yeon chuckled. “Have you kissed her yet? Remember to use condoms, okay?”
Hongki’s face reddened, “shut up!” Hongki hung up on him out of in pulse. His forehead was sweating and his heart raced, as images of Ji Eun in a wedding gown came across his mind.
“Hongki, you okay?” Ji Eun walked up towards him.
Hongki got up from his seat and tucked his nose next to her neck, “as long as I’m with you.”

The next few days~
 

Hongki sat in his usual seat for English, next to Liana.
“Oppa, how are you?” Liana batted her eyes flirtatiously.
“Don’t address me as oppa, we’re in the same year…” Hongki demanded.
“No we’re not, I skipped a grade, so you are older,” Liana pouted, “oppppppaaaaa,” she cried, “Why are you so mean?”
Hongki yawned, “I’m just really tired, sorry.”
“It’s okay. I forgive you,” Liana hugged Hongki’s waist.
“What are you doing?” Hongki twitched.
“Will you go to the winter dance with me? It’s next month… I know it’s really early to ask but… I don’t want anyone else to ask you…” Liana said shyly.
“First, can you please get off of me?” Hongki said politely.
“Not, unless you accept,” Liana black-mailed.
“I don’t want to go to a stupid dance,” Hongki sighed, “get off.”
“Please, oppa!” Liana cried.
“Why do you even want to go with me so badly?” Hongki asked curiously and tried his best to get her off of him.
“Because, I love you, you’re like so cool, and awesome,” Liana smiled.
“If this is what you consider “love,” then you wouldn’t know what love is!” Hongki yanked her off with full force.
“Ow,” Liana’s finger banged against the desk.
“Sorry,” Hongki grabbed her finger and blew softly on the wounded area.
“Omo, it’s swollen,” Liana pouted.
“I told you to get off of me,” Hongki continued blowing on it.
Oppa, you’re so attractive… But why aren’t you attracted to me? Everyone tells me I am beautiful every day, but you don’t consider even looking at me even once… Liana sighed.

Hongki felt his phone vibrate he reached into the pocket and answered the phone, “yah, I’m in school right now… I’ll talk to you later.”
“Wait, but-” Hyuna was cut off.
“Who was that?” Liana questioned.
“Don’t worry about it…” Hongki felt a bit guilty for hanging up on her, she sounded like she had something very urgent to say.

The bell rung and Hongki got up from his seat about to rush out the door till Liana held him back, “oppa, can we hang out some time?”
“What?” Hongki looked at her confused. I don’t understand, people don’t want to go near me but why is she clinging onto me so much? …I guess there’s no harm in making friends…
“Please?” Liana begged pitifully.
“Yeah, sure whatever,” Hongki said nonchalantly.
“Yay!” Liana smiled.
Hongki stormed out of the room without saying goodbye, leaving Liana disappointed, as she watched him leave.
“Pfft,” Liana sighed. Why is he always leaving in a rush? She thought curiously, so she decided to follow him behind. She ran into the hallway and caught a small glimpse of Hongki before he made his turn. Luckily, she was a super athlete and was able to sprint really fast. She chased after him and caught up within ten seconds.

“Oppa, let’s go home,” Ji Eun said in a baby voice.
“Mmm, let’s go,” Hongki said with a baby voice as well, like how usual couples would communicate.
Are they a couple? No, that doesn’t make sense; he said he didn’t have a girlfriend… Liana pouted. No, they’re probably just siblings… They look a like… Yeah, that defeiantly must be it!

Hongki kissed Ji Eun’s cheek and blushed, as Liana witnessed all of that from behind them.
Siblings, do that to each other right? It’s normal right? Aish! Who am I kidding! They’re together? Seriously? She’s not even as pretty as I am! Why would such a cool guy want to be with such a childish girl like her? Liana looked at Ji Eun with fierce eyes, “I will not admit defeat!”