Thou Shalt Not Covet Part 2: Smoke And Mirrors

The Golden Ticket To Willy Wonka's Factory
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hey, guy!! I know, I promised a fast update, but took forever to update and I'm really really sorry. I got carried away coz I kinda had the chap half written, but then at some point I felt unsatisfied with it, so I changed a lot of few things, which also meant longer beta-ing?? BTW, kudos to my beta, JACKS, you're amazing and thank you for your honest opinion and always answering my messages even when you're busy^__^ (I literally spam her xD)

Anyways, I really hope that you guys aren't too mad and I hope that this chap makes up for it?? (No, for real, this is a risk I'm taking by posting this chap, coz I seriously have no idea how you guys are gonna react, I won't be butthurt if you unsubscribe, sad? - Yes, but I'll understand....somehow....but then you'll miss out on Part three of 'Thou Shalt Not Covet' and I think it's the highlight of the trilogy, JACKS can vouch to that ;D) The reason why you guys might be disappointed and want to throw stones at me is coz, Taekook is not in this chap. They don't appear, at all. This chap is a flashback- I know, I'm kinda obsessed with them, sorry!! But they're important for the plot, I promise^^ This chap unfolds Taehyung and Jungkook's parents relationship. Without much further ado, ENJOY!!!!

The Kim/Jeon Family

Quick info: I’ve changed their mother’s names. I was not satisfied with the names I had used before and I feel like these names fit better and they have a better ring to each character.  The age I've written down is the current age in the flashback; they’re all in their early twenties and at the University.

Taehyung:

Father: Kim SangHoon (23)

Mother: Ji Hye Yuna à Hong Mi Yeon (21)

Jungkook:

Father: Jeon Jaehwa (23)

Mother: Jung Hye à Go Eun Soo (22)

ENJOY!!!!

Hong Mi Yeon

Hong Mi Yeon was not someone to feel self-conscious. Hell, she was Daegu’s full package throughout her high school years and even after she graduated and attended university in Seoul, she was still one of the prettiest girls at the ridiculously prestigious university.

Sometimes she’d tell herself that she was not well-known because of who her family was, but she’d be lying to herself. Even when she looked in the mirror, she saw nothing but the typical high Hong cheekbones, pink plump lips, the pale complexion, which was a contradiction considering that the most people in Daegu were more on the darker skin tone side, but who was complaining. The Hong’s natural fair complexion was one of the many things people envied them for, that and their wealth.

Mi Yeon was not the type to brag about her family’s wealth, though she could, but she didn’t. To her, money was nothing other than something that could disappear anytime soon and besides, it was not hers; it was her parents’ money, the money that her grandparents and great-great grandparent had earned and left behind, not hers to lay claim.

That was why she’d worked her off in high school to attend a prestigious university and later make something of herself. She wanted to make a name for herself and not remain in the shadows of her family. She did not want to be known as the Hong’s daughter- she was the youngest of three children, the first two being sons and older than her in five and seven years.

Yes, she was a chaebol’s daughter and practically didn’t have to work to earn a living, but she wanted to. Just like her two older brothers who had made a name for themselves in the medical world- the Hong family owned one of the biggest and best private hospitals in East Asia with the best doctors and treating equipment in the country.

Her brothers had both taken over the hospital right after university. Her eldest brother took over the finance department while her other second eldest the medical department, both of them sharing the role of director while her father remained as the chairman who made the final decisions.

It was an unspoken war. The minute her father stepped down from the chairman position, her brothers would be fighting for the position and she did not want to be caught in between. Not that they expected her to want to be caught in between.

Though they’d acknowledged her brains, her parents had not even once encouraged her to study medicine or business or to try to enter into the family business. It had been the opposite; her mother had advised her to stay out of the petty fight, while her father had told her to enjoy herself since she was not born to work.

“Your brothers and I will do all the work and when you marry, your husband will do the work,” he had said once.

Which brought her to the current topic—marriage.

While it was good being rich, it was also unfortunate at the same time. One would think that you had all the freedom to do whatever you pleased, but no. You were shackled to responsibilities.

Mi Yeon did not have to carry the family legacy but as a daughter of the Hong family, she had to marry into a prominent household, meaning either a chaebol or a chaebol’s son, no one less. That was how the blue blood was contained and continued.

While she had been given a lot of freedom growing up, she’d had to keep in mind that someday she’d have to marry someone her parents chose for her.

And that day had come; it had been right after her twenty-first birthday when her parents had invited her to dinner, but they had not been alone. There had been a guy sitting at their table, who her parent had introduced to her as her future husband. That had, of course, been months ago, but her parents expected her to marry the guy who she barely knew right after she graduated.

That was why Mi Yeon planned to get a double major in business administration and a minor in Arts. This would mean that she still had a few more years in school and a few more years of freedom.

Her best friend and Unni, Go Eun Soo, thought she was crazy. Unlike her, Go Eun Soo had totally come to terms with the fact that she’d also marry someone her parents chose.

But unlike her dongsaeng, Go Eun Soo had been betrothed to her fiancé, the Kim’s only son, before she was even born. Kim Kang Hoon was his name and Mi Yeon swore he was the most handsome guy she’d ever laid eyes on and Mi Yeon had been to many places, but no guy had managed to surpass Kang Hoon-Oppa.

He was the total package; smart, confident, cheeky, funny, talkative and had a voice that could sell anything. There was nothing she didn’t like about him, except for the fact that he was to marry her best friend.

Needless to say, Kang Hoon was one of the desired guys on campus, not just for his looks but also for his name. Kang Hoon being the only Kim son - legitimate son- made him the sole heir to Kim’s Law Firm, which happened to be the strongest law firm in the country if not the whole of Asia, but he was taken.

However, this didn’t stop the twenty-three-year-old from partying and messing around with girls and it certainly didn’t bother his twenty-two-year-old fiancée Go Eun Soo because she was already dating Jeon Jaehwa, another chaebol’s son and heir to the Jeon Corporations.

Ironically all four of them were good friends; it was no secret that rich people knew each other by default, but they were actually very good friends, which made the whole situation rather ridiculous.

 

Go Eun Soo

Go Eun Soo and Kim Kang Hoon’s parents were very close friends and the two had grown up very close. They were best friends to say, which should have been perfect for their future marriage, except that there were no romantic feelings towards each other whatsoever, only platonic.

This was, of course, good for Mi Yeon, who had gotten acquainted with Eun Soo during high school when she attended a boarding school in Seoul and became roomies with the sophomore and the both of them had formed a genuine friendship. Later, she got to meet the famous Kim Kang Hoon, who happened to be attending the same school, through her new best friend.

Mi Yeon swore that she fell for the junior before she knew who he was and she tried to stay away from him after finding out who he was, but Eun Soo had assured her that she didn’t mind nor care what or who he did because she was also secretly dating someone.

Kim Kang Hoon and Jeon Jaehwa knew each other through their fathers, they’d sometimes take them along on some outdoor business meetings and that is how the boys got to know each other.

Eun Soo had met Jeon Jaehwa, also a junior attending the neighboring school, at some event where Kang Hoon was supposed to be her , but he had bailed on her to go on a date with some girl he had been pinning after so he had sent his good friend, Jaehwa in his place, unknowingly playing match-making.

The two had dated throughout high school and continued to date after Jaehwa graduated and started attending university in Seoul, then Eun Soo graduated and entered the same university as her boyfriend and fiancé.

Soon after, Mi Yeon graduated and attended the same university as well, but unlike her friends, she was not that interested in economics or law, so she decided to major in Arts until recently that is.

It should have been awkward dating one of your fiancé’s friends, but it wasn’t the case for Eun Soo. Sure, what she was doing might have looked like cheating, but she and Kang Hoon had long established their status and feelings for each other.

From the moment they could talk, they’d known that they’d marry each other. It was a mantra that her parents kept on chanting to her—they’d probably reminded her of her engagement more than they’d remind her to eat healthily.

And she might have believed it at some point and had not minded marrying Kang Hoon. It wasn’t like she didn’t have any feelings for him, but they were more on the platonic side. She loved Kang Hoon just as much as she loved her other siblings.

And since she didn’t have an older brother, Kang Hoon had filled this role. Kang Hoon had been the older brother she didn’t have and he never got out of that role.

Of course, there was a time when she was proud of being engaged to him, but as time passed and she got older, she realized how upsetting the whole situation was. True, they were best friends, each other’s pillars if one may say, but they’d make each other miserable in marriage at some point.

Her arguments against their union were solidified when she met the mysterious Jeon Jaehwa; he was perfection in human form and Eun Soo knew that she could not marry Kang Hoon.

Luckily for her, her fiancé had been on the same page; Kang Hoon had apparently fallen for a girl, one of the many thousands he fell in love with every day, but he swore that this girl was the one. She’d come to him in his dreams and then he had seen her at a charity event in the same outfit as in his dreams the next day. Fate was sealed.

She did not tell him who she was seeing nor did he ask, though she had a notion that he already knew who it was, but they had promised to be each other’s allies whenever they needed back-up with their parents. That was how it worked out, Kang Hoon covering up for her whenever she was meeting up with Jaehwa and her covering up for him whenever he was meeting up with his many Miss Rights.

They had put off discussing what to do with the engagement issue for later. That was also how Kang Hoon ended up being a playboy and gaining a reputation even before graduating high school, which one should have been ashamed of, but he wasn’t—he carried the title like a trophy.

At times he’d have to get chided by Eun Soo to lay low for a while before either of their parents intervened or every so often, when she was really mad at him she’d send her nicer version- Kang Hoon liked to call her so-, Mi Yeon to talk to him, because Eun Soo was not in the mood to take his bull and the older girl knew that her fiancé had a soft spot for her best friend.

 

Kim Kang Hoon

Maybe it was because he had grown up with Eun Soo and they knew everything about each other that he didn’t feel uncomfortable or worried about her. He didn’t feel the need to put up a wall and pretend or try to charm her because it would be futile and he also didn’t watch how he spoke to her nor did she. Eun Soo knew and understood him well without having to explain himself and it might have been easier and more comfortable to marry her after all, but he knew that he’d get bored.

There was nothing about his fiancée he didn’t know, nothing that would keep him from looking elsewhere and he didn’t want to do that to his best friend. Their long-term friendship meant more to him than that, that was why he was trying to piss off their parents and find a loophole to break off their engagement, but he knew that it wouldn’t be easy.

This was not only an engagement but also a business deal made with a family of lawyers, Jesus-help-him; they were not getting out of this.

It seemed like Kang Hoon had been messing around too much that his fiancé had sent her best friend, sweet innocent Mi Yeon to come over and relay her warnings as nice as she could today also.

What Eun Soo didn’t know was that Mi Yeon wasn’t as innocent as everyone thought. She might have been at some point, but when she came of age, she’d switched. Kang Hoon could vouch to that seeing he was one of the first people who had noticed the change in the younger girl.

Mi Yeon had dyed her long black curls to hazel brown, which brought out her cognac eyes even more and made them shine like pearls in the sunlight, except that Mi Yeon didn’t need the sun for her eyes to shine.

She had a small face with high cheek bones, a small pointy nose, natural double eyelids

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter