Victim

The Biography of a Vampire

With Joonyoung things weren’t really good. Soyou was in danger, yet there she was, drinking with her crush.

“You seem more relaxed,” She started. He raised an eyebrow at the slightly drunk girl next to him. “You’re usually very strict, calm and reserved. The only person you’re talking to is your sister.”

“I know. These past few days have been harsh. With moving and things,” She nodded, though Joonyoung wasn’t sure if she understood what he said. He called the bartender and paid for another shot.

“I think that’s enough for me.” Soyou said, leaning a little on him.

He tensed, uncertain how much he could go with this charade. He turned his head on one side and sighed, annoyed, and when he faced her again, he had his trademark smirk plastered on his face. She almost melted on that spot and accepted the shot. After she finished, Joonyoung got up.

“Do you want to walk?” She narrowed her clouded eyes at him. Eventually, she nodded.

Joonyoung led Soyou through the forest, far from the city.

“This is a walk? It’s freezing here!” In her drunken state, she almost tripped but Joonyoung caught her. He rolled his eyes and dragged her deeper into the woods. “Where are we going, anyway? How are we going to return to the city?”

Joonyoung smirked and pushed her into a tree,“I’ll find my way around.”

He bent and kissed her fully on the lips, Soyou responding immediately. The kiss grew more passionate as Joonyoung pressed his body against hers. He lifted her legs, wrapping them around his torso before breaking the kiss and looking down at her.

 “Do you like me, Soyou?” The girl nodded, speechless. “Would you like it if I made your life more interesting?” She nodded again and kissed him. He stopped and leaned in even more, touching her ear with his lips. “I should say I’m sorry,” He started, tilting her head to the side. “But that would be a lie,” His voice was husky already but at the mention of those words, it sounded like his voice lowered even more.

His eyes became red and he sank his fangs into her neck. She tried to scream but he covered quickly while he sank his teeth deeper into the flesh. The girl squirmed but he was stronger. Eventually, the struggling stopped.



Jina was watching TV in the living room with Myungsoo, who was all over the vampire girl, making her eyebrow twitch in annoyance.

“Get your hands off,” She said while getting his hands off of her. He smiled innocently and sat normally.

While watching the movie, something broke in her body, like her heart suddenly split. Jina’s eyes widened and for a moment, her breathing stopped.

“What did I do now?” Myungsoo asked annoyed. She flinched and got up fast, breathing slowly.

“Something wrong happened. I feel this sudden urge to-”  She stopped, realizing what has happened, “Joonyoung,”

She flashed in front of his room and knocked but no one responded. Jina opened the door and again, nothing; her brother wasn’t home.

“What happened with Joonyoung?” Myungsoo questioned, trailing after her, watching her grab her jacket and tie her shoelaces.

“We, as siblings, have a strong bond, as you know. My heart started pumping and I felt excited out of nowhere. It was a feeling I have never ever experienced yet I remember,”

Myungsoo’s eyes widened, finally getting her point, “Blood. Where is he, anyway?”

Stella stopped midway to the front door and thought. Usually, when he was mad, sad or just wanted to forget about his problems, he would go to-

“The bar,”

Myungsoo nodded and they both flashed out the door. During the ride to Fey’s, where Jina was more than sure her brother went, Myungsoo couldn’t stop glancing from time to time to her. She was indeed different than thousands years ago and he was more than sure that she could get more dangerous than the last time.


When they arrived at the bar, she hurried straight to the bartender. Joonyoung had done something stupid and she could feel it in every ounce of her body.

“Leave this to me,” She said before nudging Myungsoo to the side.

“Hey, there. Haven't seen you around before,” The young bartender addressed her as soon as she took a seat at the stool.

“Maybe because I'm a good girl," She responded, making him chuckle."Do you know everyone here?” He nodded and leaned closer, “Would you do me a favor?” She continued, a smug smirk contouring her face.

“Depends. What will I get in exchange?”

 “I just need to ask you a little, tiny thing,” She started, doing circles with her finger on his chest. Jina could feel Myungsoo’s eyes boring into her head bemsuedly.

“Anything for you, as long as I get something before,”

“And what might that be?” He leaned even closer.

“Just a kiss, maybe a date later,”

She stopped her actions abruptly and took a nice grip of his shirt, pulling him closer. She could also feel her eyes changing in between colors.

“Let’s stop these games. I want to know if a guy was here. He probably drank more than anyone you have seen before,”

He was speechless, mostly because her eyes were so close and he could see the ferocity of an animal in them.

“There was a guy who bought a lot of alcohol. He was chatting with a local girl. I think I heard him say something about a walk,” He whimpered, trying to look cool though.

“Who’s the girl?”

He flinched when her grip tightened, “Soyou,”

Jina pushed him away and hurried out the door, already thinking of the worst case scenario.

“So, where are we going?” Myungsoo had to actually do some effort to keep her pace.

Jina stopped and rubbed her forehead, the stress gathering slowly, “I’m not sure. He has to be somewhere in the forest, somewhere dark. I don’t know. Where would you take a girl to her blood out?”

Myungsoo smirked and grabbed her wrist tightly before flashing into the forest. The deeper they were running into it, the darker it seemed; the trees were getting taller and thicker and by night, it looked like the perfect place for a horror camping trip.

They passed a certain little clearing when she smelled something familiar. Jina stopped and narrowed her eyes, scanning the place closely when she finally noticed something. There was a body near a tree, a body that scared her greatly.

“Soyou!” Jina whispered, shocked. “I can’t believe it,” She mumbled, turning the body around, assuring that indeed the corpse was her friend’s.

Myungsoo walked behind her, one eyebrow raised and hands linked behind him. He couldn’t say he wasn’t expecting that after what he found out about Joonyoung; besides, it was in their blood as vampires of noble rank. His attention shifted on her, as a vampire with a lot of induced emotions.

He didn’t even think of pitying the dead girl; she should have seen it coming after he led her in the forest.

“Do you want me to get rid of it?” He asked, tilting his head to the side, his voice not exactly empathic.

“No,” She mumbled. “Leave.”  She stated firmly, her emotions getting the best of her.

“Are you sure? I’ve done this before-” He stopped when she glanced at him over her shoulder.

“I said leave.”

It was something in her voice that made Myungsoo flinch. He backed off and left, not even once looking back to see what exactly she was doing. Well, he wasn’t losing anything because she was going through a lot of inner battles at the moment.

 

Next morning found Joonyoung peacefully reading some book on his bed. He seemed very calm and happy, like nothing was wrong and nothing happened that night.

Until Jina arrived home covered in dirt and sweat. She took a quick shower and changed her clothes before  barging into her brother’s room. He was shocked when his sister pushed him into the wall, eyes red and furious.

“You bastard!”

He glanced to the side, hopefully ashamed.

“I can’t believe you, Joonyoung. I know we’ve just started this thing with vampires again and these past days have been hard and stressful but how could you? For God’s sake, Joon! She liked you! And what have you done? her blood out and let her body somewhere far from the city to never be found. Did you think I wouldn’t find her?” Jina snarled, applying more force on his neck.

She was angry above anything else and her strong gaze sent a chill down his spine, making him shudder out of reflex. Joonyoung wasn’t sure why he was so touched and scared at the same time when vampires shouldn’t feel anything.

“What have you done with her?” He asked after Jina calmed down and they sat on the edge of the bed.

“I cut between your bites, making it seem like she was cut. I buried her somewhere near the gas station. Someone will definitely find her this morning and call the police. It will be a case without clues so they will close it.”

He looked at her surprised.

“I read too much but that’s not the point. Joonyoung,” Jina grabbed his cheeks between her hands and brought him closer, “You are my brother and I know you have done so many things for me and I owe you but I won’t clean your misery every time. I can’t. I thought you would change, being in a new town and everything, and you did but not as dad or I wished. I miss the old, old Joonyoung that I heard about,” She sighed heavily and let him go, walking to the door. “Get ready for school,” She mumbled before leaving.

Jina walked in her room and fell on the bed, exhausted. She has never imagined such a turnout of events, especially not from her brother whom she trusted with her life. Now, it seemed life wasn’t exactly their best point. With one final moan in her pillow, she took her bag and went downstairs.

Her father was eating breakfast when she entered the kitchen.

“Where have you been the entire night?”

She opened the door to the fridge and took a bottle of blood, drinking it fully in one long shot.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” She mumbled, getting a swift glance from her father.



The two siblings were on their way to school when Jina glanced at him, her eyes softer than before.

“Look, Joon. I won’t judge you for what happened; it’s not my place to say something after what I did in the past but try to stop these little excitements. Don’t lose control so easily,” She started after she parked the car.

He turned his head and watched the students passing by, too ashamed –or maybe not- to look at her.

“People have definitely heard about Soyou by now. Act as yourself and don’t give anyone any reason to suspect you.”

After her words of wisdom, both siblings entered the building feeling worse than ever before.

 


In the class, sitting in his usual place, Hongbin was still thinking about the news report that morning.

Hongbin just woke up, a sick feeling in his gut. He opened the fridge for his own bottle of blood and went in the living where his uncle was.

“This morning, at the gas station just outside the city the body of a young girl has been found. The police don’t want to talk about this unfortunate event but they did give us a few details. The girl has been buried and has a rather large cut on her neck. She died from blood loss sometime this morning. Her name is Soyou, student at the local high school.”

The rest was a blur as the noble vampire rsushed upstairs, into Myungsoo’s room. The younger vampire was there, watching the news with a blank face.

“What does that mean?” Hongbin yelled pointing at the TV. When the vampire didn’t respond to his superior, Hongbin used force; he grabbed Myungsoo by his neck and pushed him against the wall harshly.

“I didn’t kill her, stupid,” Myungsoo squirmed in his grasp. “Why don’t you go to school as a good boy and find out what happened, huh?” Hongbin glared at Myungsoo but followed his words nonetheless.

Hongbin was staring at the door, waiting to see her face among the rest of the students. He only caught her scent for a brief moment before he heard her heart thumping differently. She wasn’t in a good condition and it made him feel guilty for some reason.