Halfway to the Truth

The Biography of a Vampire

Jina was alone. She already knew she was dreaming but it still scared her. The space she was in was dark and empty.


Monster,

She turned quickly but there was no one. The voice got louder.

Monster!

Jina glanced to the side and saw a huge puddle on the floor. She walked closer to it and bent in front of it; it smelled sweet. She touched it and realized it was blood.

I hate you!

She flinched, those words sounding awfully familiar, and gasped when the scenery changed.

Jina was inside an old house, one that she could swear she’s been in before. The room was familiar but she couldn’t quite point out why. Someone else was there; someone that looked exactly like her, from head to toe, except her eyes. The white substance was completely black while her orbs were red; her expression was as dark as her eyes. Someone who looked exactly like Joonyoung was behind her, his eyes the same as hers, only softer.

“Jina, don’t go,”

The so called Jina narrowed her eyes at the man who spoke to her: Hongbin. Wait. There was someone who looked like Hongbin, moreover, he was pleading. He had scratches on his face and a large wound on his chest; he was stumbling on his feet and looked pretty pitiful which only seemed to please Jina.

“Hongbin, Hongbin, Hongbin. Such a noble soul you have been. You said you loved me,” Jina’s dark eyes widened yet it was obvious she was teasing him. “How foolish I was to believe you!” She walked closer to him and kicked him in the ribs. He fell quickly. “You left me for her. Well, now she’s dead and you’re alive. Let’s see how this will work out.” She bent to his level and grabbed him by the back of his head. ”Be grateful that I’m not killing you,” Jina mumbled before she gave a last glare and walked away.

However, Joonyoung couldn’t let Hongbin with only what his sister has done. He knew the younger man had to suffer so he went back to Hongbin and grabbed him by the collar of his shirt.

“After you met Hana you left Jina without thinking. Do you know who killed her for good, Hongbin? It was me. I killed her for Jina’s happiness. Besides, Hana wasn’t even a noble; she wasn’t one of us, she was adopted.” Joonyoung whispered in a low voice. Hongbin’s eyes widened. “I hated her because she hated Jina. My sister is the only Jung noble and you just broke her heart. You deserve to die by her hands like your brother and our parents.” Joonyoung continued with a sick smirk, dropping Hongbin before flashing away.

 



Outside the house, Jina’s eyes softened and they regained their original color. She sighed heavily and let herself go with the suffocating sadness that has been crawling throughout the years. She started to cry yet her face was blank.  When Joonyoung came next to her, he couldn’t help but feel like he should have done more to make her feel better.

“I wish I could go back in time and change everything I’ve done.” She started, her eyes staring down at her bloody hands. Joonyoung sighed and hugged her.

“You have done nothing wrong, Jin.” She wrapped her arms around his waist and chuckled.

“I lived like a princess for my whole life. Now, something came up and I lost control. I have been drowning in my own anger and sorrow and look what I caused. I killed our parents, I killed Dongmin and I made you kill Hana. And it’s not just Hongbin’s fault. I had everything but I had nothing. I never knew what real friendship or real love was,”

“Stop with this bull. I killed Hana because she destroyed our lives.” He stated firmly while grabbing her chin and forcing her to look at him.

“She messed with my head. She faked her death because she didn’t want to marry and when she saw Hongbin she decided to with my life and get back what she was supposed to have. Hongbin gave in and forgot about me. I should have killed her myself,” That was probably Jina’s biggest regret over everything else she had done.

He took his pendant off and shoved it in her smaller hands.

“See this? This is the Endless Knot. We will be siblings forever. We are bound to an eternal brotherhood”, He started.

“I’m destined to an eternal fight. No matter what will happen in the future, I will always be a leviathan. I will always endure pain and lose control at some point. I’m the leviathan.” She mumbled, partially aware of how dangerous her condition was and how much trouble she was going to cause. Joonyoung sighed but didn’t say anything.

Jina opened her eyes when she heard her phone ringing. She rubbed her eyes and responded groggily.

“I hope you’re ready for a big announcement!”

Jina flinched at the loud voice. It was too early to hear someone so happy over the phone.

“What?” Her voice was raspy.

“Don’t tell me you were sleeping,” Was she supposed to do something else? She opened ready to say something but Yuna started to talk already. “Anyway, move your here. Today is the camp! Hongbin will be there too; probably,”

Jina rolled her eyes and rolled over in bed. After her dream, she wasn’t sure she wanted to see him.

“Don’t we have school?”  She said and heard Yuna chuckle bemusedly.

“It’s Saturday, silly! Now put something cute on and please use make up. Half of the town comes annually!”

Jina wasn’t in the mood for camping and socializing after the last few days and she was seriously having second thoughts.

“Anything else?” She asked in a grumpy voice.  

“Take Joonyoung,” Yuna coughed. “Soyou has a small crush on him but don’t tell her I told you. She will kill me,”

Jina furrowed her eyebrows, still processing the information. She gasped when she realized what happened.

“You’re joking, right?”

“No. I’ll let you get ready. Be at the Screen in an hour!”

The Screen was actually a big publicity screen in the center of the town. She hung up and put the phone on the nightstand but didn’t get out of bed. She drew her knees close to her chest and wrapped her arms around them.

“Leviathan,” She mumbled.

 



When she arrived at the Screen, she was still trying to convince Joonyoung that it was a good way to make friends. He was sulking.

“Relax, Joon. It’s just a day in the local forest with our friends. Nothing bad will happen.” He rolled his eyes.

He already wrote an entire list of bad things that could happen to them. One was weirder than the other and he was sure they actually made sense. Joonyoung was ready to tell her some of his points when they heard a squeal.


“I’m so excited! This will be so much fun!” Yuna was way too happy for the safety of humanity. Jina tried to smile and nudged Joonyoung to do the same. His smile looked wrong and forced so he dropped the act quickly. They got in Yuna’s car and drove to the forest.

“Wow. She didn’t joke when she said half of the town will be here.” Joonyoung glanced on the window at the numerous cars. He was worried; his gut was telling him just how dangerous the camp will turn out to be.

Jina sighed and started to fidget nervously. Her gut was telling her the same thing but unlike her brother, she didn’t want to believe it. Joonyoung saw that from the corner of his eye and grabbed her hand. They got out quickly and met the rest of their friends. Yuna was beyond excited, Soyou was in her own little world thinking about Joonyoung and Seulgi was bored. They walked in silence towards the others, looking around the sight. The mayor was there too, announcing the start of the camp.

“Why are they making such a fuss? It’s just for one day,” Jina had a point.

“A day and a night.”

She spun around and met the man who ignored her the days before.

“Oh, so now we’re talking again?” She dropped the cocky attitude when she was sure he wasn’t able to see her anymore. She was really worried. On the other side, Joonyoung’s eyes blocked on the mysterious young man who quirked her sister’s interest.

When the mayor finally ended his speech, everyone started to move aimlessly around. They were all excited. Jina was having a hard time finding her friends. Fortunately, they found her faster.

“Come on! We have to go to our place!”

“Our place?” She asked Seulgi, who only shrugged.

“Of course. We reserved it. Well, I did,” Yuna responded.

They walked in nothing but noise. Except the rest of the campers who were having fun, there were some strange people who would glance at their group from time to time. It made the siblings feel even more paranoid.

“Are we there yet?” Jina asked when she started to feel worse. Yuna nodded, unfazed by how mean Jina sounded.

They stopped in a deserted place. There was nothing but grass and trees.

“Isn’t it a little too far?” Soyou was a little scared. If something were to happen, no one would be able to find them in time. Besides, she didn’t like nature.

Jina didn’t find that place appealing either. Something about it was off and it sent chills down her spine. She glanced at Joonyoung only to see him stare at the ground with his hands deep in his pockets.

“Don’t be afraid. Nothing happens in this town. It’s so boring,” Yuna commented, reassuring everyone that nothing bad could happen.

“What about those crimes?” She scoffed.

“I bet they’re just false information thrown in by the media. Mayor is obsessed with fame. He wants his little city to become the next New York, who knows,” Yuna was talking like everything was normal. That girl was very optimistic and had a positive mind.

“Bull,”

 Joonyoung was the opposite.

 

 

While the teenagers were installing their tents, deeper into the forest Hongbin leaned against a tree with his eyes closed. He opened them quickly when he felt someone getting close.

“What do you want?” Hongbin asked coldly. The person who appeared out of thin air smirked.

“What do I want? Let’s see,” He started to rub his chin thoughtfully. “I want a new car –maybe a Mercedes CL class- freedom, blood, your little friend,” He his lips after he mentioned the ‘friend’.

Hongbin spun around in a flash and punched the guy without a certain reason. The sranger flew into a tree yet he didn’t look hurt; he was amused. Hongbin didn’t want to waste time, he wanted to kill that bastard.

“Leave her alone.” Honbin growled.

“She’s beautiful; even more than in the 1500’s. Jung Jina, a vampire girl you could actually die for. From a pretty princess she transformed into a true demon,” His smirk grew. “I guess we should thank you for that.”The stranger continued, looking smugger by the minute. “It must be hard to be in your place right now. To be so close to the one you loved for centuries yet so far. But, if I know the story correctly, you left Jina for her older sister, Hana.”

That triggered something in Hongbin’s mind because he flashed in front of the stranger and grabbed him by the neck, slamming him against a tree.

“I loved Jina.” It didn’t sound convincing.

“Sure, sure. And when a younger vampire used her charm on you,” The stranger started and kicked Hongbin in the chest. He didn’t leave him like that and started to walk closer to his victim.  “You forgot her.” The stranger continued

“I never stopped loving her,” The vampire raised one eyebrow and started to pace in front of Hongbin.

“Really, Hongbin? Really? You blamed Jina when Hana died. I guess it was her fault. She manipulated Joonyoung into killing her. She couldn’t stand the idea of her adopted sister’s filthy blood on her hands so of course, Joonyoung did it. He loved Jina more than anything. He was and still is her little brother.” He started to walk in circles around Hongbin. “She changed. She’s wiser now, but the love she had for you is still somewhere in the back of her heart; if it is anymore. Jung Jina. I would bang her anytime,” The vampire teased. “She’s not stupid, she’s feisty.” He his lips. “I like it when they’re opposing; when they try to escape; when they struggle and scream, pleading to stay alive.” He flashed behind Hongbin. “Don’t you, Hongbin? Don’t you want to hear her scream for help; to see her tasty blood running down her smooth legs; to tame the leviathan?”

It was enough for Hongbin. His eyes changed and punched the vampire again and again. He found a small branch and it through the vampire’s heart, killing him in an instant. He turned around and walked where he knew Jina was. While walking, he couldn’t stop thinking about what that filthy creature said; moreover, how right he was.

Hongbin left Jina. He made her lose control. He hurt her. It was his fault that Dongmin died and, most importantly, it was his fault that Jina suffered so much.

 



In the tent Jina couldn’t believe how much Yuna could talk.

“Will she stop soon?” Joonyoung mumbled loud enough for his sister to hear.

The tent was a medium-sized and nine people were occupying it. Beside Jina was Seulgi with her new crush, Jackson; on Joonyoung’s other side were Roy and Theo; opposite Jina and her brother were Yuna, Soyou, Jihoon and Yuna’s best friend. It was weird. They all seemed so silent at school yet they were so loud outside.

“So, I told Jay that we couldn’t be together anymore and he blamed Hongbin but it wasn’t his fault,” Yuna started, Jina raising her head immediately at the name.

“Hongbin? Lee Hongbin from school? The silent and-” Joonyoung interfered curiously.

“Yes, yes. Maybe it sounds impossible but Hongbin was a very out-going guy.” Jihoon started, everyone agreeing with him.

“True. He was a flirt. I think he had a few girlfriends back then,” Joonyoung raised his eyebrow and leaned back on his hands.

“Define ‘a few’.” They shrugged.

“10 or 12. More or less.”

Jina was surprised while Joonyoung felt very offended for some reason. The siblings glanced at each other because they knew something weird was going on between them; they were remembering things constantly, things that weren’t theirs. After that moment people started to reminisce about the old times at school.

Jina stopped talking when she felt Joonyoung tense next to her. She glanced worriedly at him but he just gave her a reassuring smile. He got up and went outside.

 

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦


Joonyoung was indeed a little tense. Despite being older than Jina, he had more flashbacks than her.

Ever since he touched the ouroboros, his mind started to move incredibly fast. He felt Hongbin walking towards the tent and even though he was still surprised just how well he could hear the other man, he had a few theories. Joonyoung also had some questions and he wanted answers from the one who caused that mess.

He didn’t have to walk more than a few feet when he met the culprit.

“Lee Hongbin,” Joonyoung narrowed his eyes at him. Hongbin knew that look very well and sighed, giving up, and leaned against a tree. “You know what I want from you.” Joonyoung continued his tone lowering.

“I don’t remember everything. Let’s start with what you found out.”

Joonyoung was a little skeptical but he started to talk nonetheless.

“I went to the library. The woman there told me you go there every day and stare at one picture of a girl. Jung Jina. Who is she?”

“A young woman from 1500. She disappeared a long time ago and the citizens thought she died, her brother too. But they didn’t. Everyone was wrong because they didn’t know the truth.”

“And what’s the truth?” Hongbin placed his hands in his pockets and smirked.

“Vampires. Real vampires that can’t survive during the day and hunt for blood as night falls.”

“Bull,” Joonyoung added quickly, not believing anything.

“You want to know a secret, Joonyoung? I am a vampire too.”

Things couldn’t get any weirder. Hongbin’s eyes changed into exactly what his and Jina’s looked like. He flashed behind Joonyoung and walked past him like it was nothing.

“Is plain daylight and you are here. You said that vampires can’t survive the light of the sun.” Hongbin’s eyes went back to normal.

“Correct but vampires these days found a trick,” Hongbin took out a necklace from his pocket with a weird stone on it. “This is a lapis lazuli stone. It was used in ancient Egypt to create seals. As long as we carry it after us, we can survive the light. But it’s a rare stone and not many vampires have it. Most of them have amethysts. Those were used by the ancient Greek people to prevent intoxication. European soldiers wore amethyst amulets as a protection in battles, believing that the stone could heal people and keep them cool-headed. It’s not as strong as Lapis Lazuli but it works. Amethysts have this power of keeping the vampires calm when they see blood. I also have one,”

“Who is Lee Hongbin?” Joonyoung asked in his usual tone.

“That’s me. I found the truth a year ago. I was so furious that I killed my father. That’s when I realized what I was and what I could do,”

“That means you’re the Hongbin who broke Jina.” Hongbin looked at Jooynoung warily and nodded slowly. “What’s the story behind that?” Joonyoung continued his interrogation.  

“I don’t know everything. I remember how I met Jina and Joonyoung, that I was a vampire even then and my family wanted me to marry Jina but she was in love with someone else. I didn’t love her either but after our parents forced us to spend a lot of time together I started to fall for her. I knew she was too until her sister came back. She started flirting with me and toyed with my head. I was getting closer to Hana and further apart from Jina. I still remember that day. I went over to the Jung’s and Jina thought I came to apologize. That’s when it happened,”

Hongbin was on his way to Jung house, his mind going all the time back to Hana. That vampire was incredible, charming and smart. She got Hongbin wrapped around her finger in just a few days. He knocked just once and Miss Jung opened the door. She was smiling widely since she had always liked Hongbin.

“Hogbin, I’m so glad you’re here,” She invited him in and asked him about his parents. He smiled and responded to every question, until Joonyoung entered the room. When he saw the guest he glared at him.

“What are you doing here?” His voice was cold, his eyes glistening with ferociousness. Hongbin was taken aback but he didn’t show it. Joonyoung ignored the curious glances his mother gave him and walked towards Hongbin. “You’re going to destroy her. Piece by piece she is breaking and it’s your entire fault. Don’t make things worse and leave,”

 Hongbin felt like the biggest scum in the world. Still, he couldn’t deny the attraction he felt for Jina’s sister.

And there was Jun Jina. She was a nice, lovely and innocent girl but she was a vampire and she was nothing like one. She couldn’t even go and hunt! Hana was the opposite of Jina and he liked that.

“Hongbin!” The vampire turned in time to get hugged by Jung Hana. He smiled and returned the hug.

Unfortunately, Jina came down the stairs and saw the scene. Her heart ached.

“Hongbin,” She mumbled.

Jooyoung glared at both vampires and went to his sister. Miss Jung was already gone to search for her husband. Hongbin’s eyes traveled to Jina’s sore ones. She looked beautiful outside even if she was feeling horrible on the inside. Hana, like always, didn’t care about the younger vampire, butHongbin’s heart ached and for a moment he felt that old love again. It disappeared when Hana tangled her fingers with Hongbin’s.

“I’m sorry,” Hongbin just couldn’t stop saying that out-loud. Those words made a piece of Jina break.

“Sorry? You’re sorry? That’s all you can say every single time? I’m sick of this, Hongbin!”

That was the moment Hongbin broke his act and finally showed who he really was at the core.

“It’s all about you, isn’t it? You’re the youngest member, the princess and you always get what you want! Things aren’t always going to be easy like that, Jina. Grow up! You’re such a baby! Wake up! You are a vampire! Do you know what that means? Do you know what a vampire is?! A parasite, a hunter, a bloodsucker! You can’t even look at blood! I don’t know how you live! I bet you didn’t even know you drink blood!”

Jina’s eyes widened. Hongbin was right. She was worse than a human.

“That’s when things changed. Jina wasn’t the Jung princess anymore, she became something else. That’s all I know,” Hongbin finished, sensing Joonyoung’s discomfort.

“So it was your fault,”

Lee Hongbin was speechless. He had never felt so bad in his skin as he felt in that moment, under Jung Joonyoung’s cold stare.