The Curse

The Biography of a Vampire

Jina was rather relaxed in the same place Hakyun left her in. She closed her eyes and unconsciously smelled blood. She furrowed her eyebrows and cracked her knuckles. The smell was getting closer rather fast because the human was running. Jina stood there like a statue until the human bumped into her from behind. It was a young teenage girl and Jina could smell the quantity of adrenaline the girl had.

Someone was searching for the girl from what the vampire could hear.

“I-I’m s-sorry.”

The girl looked up at the vampire who was struggling to keep control. The human looked down at her bloody ankle and the bruises on her arms. Jina could smell them. She knew she couldn’t stop anymore; she needed it more than ever.

“Found you!”

 The girl turned scared to the man that ran into the clearing. He looked tired, maybe from running, but at the same time he had an insane expression on his face. He too had bruises, most likely from the girl who tried to defend herself. He started to yell something at her but Jina’s ears could only listen to their beating hearts.

“Help me.” The girl pleaded the older woman.

But Jina didn’t even move.

The man snickered, “Well, well, well. Two birds at once. This is going to be interesting.”

The smaller girl started to cry and grabbed onto Jina’s hand tightly. The man grabbed the teenager from her waist and began pulling her into him. Jina grabbed the hand the girl had a grip on and pushed the man away. He glared at her and pushed her hard. Jina didn’t see that coming and stumbled back.

That was it. Someone had the intention to hurt her, dared to push her.  The vampire opened her eyes, red eyes, and gave the man a stern, superior look.

“Wench…” The man mumbled, pulling the scared girl after him.

“This isn’t your lucky day.” Jina said coldly yet with an ironic flair to it.

In one flash the man was on the floor, dead, bloodsucker over him, canines plunged deep into his flesh. The younger girl screamed as loud as her lungs let her, drawing Jina’s attention.

The vampire raised her eyes and focused on the teenager the whole time she got on her feet.

“You have five seconds to save yourself.”Jina threatened, her eyes widening slightly. “Run.”

And that was exactly what the teenager did. She ran as fast as she could.

The girl was already a few meters away but the feeling that she was watched intensified.

“1,”

The voice was coming from afar.

“2,”

The girl was running, not having a clue where.

”3,”

The voice was coming closer and closer.

“4,"

She whispered it right into her ear.

"5.” She whispered, tilting the girl’s head to the side. “Time’s over.”

The girl’s eyes widened even more and yelled as Jina plunged her teeth into her neck.

••••

Joonyoung and Myungsoo went back to the Arche mansion, tired and annoyed. Not a good combination.

“She was nowhere! Not even at your house.” Myungsoo mumbled, jumping on the couch.

Joonyoung looked down at the younger vampire and scoffed.

“You alarmed my father for nothing. “

Myungsoo shrugged again and smiled innocently at the older vampire.

“Don’t say it like you didn’t enjoy it. I was so close to kill your father’s sisters. So close.” He said pointing out with his fingers.

 Joonyoung rolled his eyes but couldn’t help but smile. The two got interrupted by the door slamming open and Jina walking in as if she was the owner.

“Jina!”

She stopped and turned her head to her brother in a way that looked like she was maneuvered by someone. She stood there thinking what she should do until she chose to give them a taste of who she is.

“Where have you been?” Myungsoo asked getting up.

She looked at him intently before tilting her head to the side, studying Myungsoo’s face. He looked quite different suddenly, changed, simply different. Joonyoung watched his sister warily. Something was different about her too and it made him feel weird. His eyes trailed over her figure until he met her eyes.

Joonyoung glared at her and threw her hard against the wall. Myungsoo looked surprised at his companion.

 “What the hell?!”

He flashed in front of Jina, reaching out to help her.

“I never thought I’ll see the day you, out of everyone, will hurt me, Joon.”

Jina’s words didn’t affect her brother in the least; if only, it made him flashed in front of her and grab her by her neck.

“I’m not stupid, Jina. I know you better than anyone. Did you actually think I won’t see you’ve changed? The human Jung Jina doesn't exist anymore. The Devil broke from its cage.” Joonyoung explained with a blank expression and no emotion in his voice.

Myungsoo’s eyes widened and genuinely looked terrified. Jina knew her façade was breaking so she decided to laugh. She was still amused by everything when she wrapped her hand around his wrist and easily pushed her brother to the side.

“You can’t even imagine how good it is to be back. Freedom has never tasted so good.”

Joonyoung glared at his sister but couldn’t get up.

 She glanced at Myungsoo and smirked, “Aren’t you happy to see me, Kim Myungsoo?” She flashed in front of him and trailed her finger down his face and to his lips. “Aren’t you happy to see the girl you’ve fallen in love with?”

 He looked down at her with a stoic face.

“The girl I fell in love with died a long time ago.”

She glared at him and punched him hard, throwing him next to Joonyoung.

“You were so afraid I will come back to life but you never realized you were restraining me. You wanted just what was good for you.” She said, glaring at the two vampires, “Have you ever thought what’s good for me too? What do I want? No.” She flashed in front of them and bent to their level, “Now it’s my turn to make the rules. The first one is quite easy to understand.” She glared down at the two vampires, her eyes red and that superior feeling flowing down over them. “Don’t mess with me.” Jina threatened before flashing away.

“I can’t believe you!” Jitae was more than furious.

Hakyun looked pretty calm, sitting on the chair with a bottle of blood in hand, glancing between the two younger and quite guilty vampires and the slayer.

“Actually, I can’t believe this happened either.”

 The three males turned their eyes on the much older and powerful vampire, who got off the chair and looked rather interested in the details of his bottle.

“Earlier today she asked me about Yoo.”

Myungsoo’s reaction didn’t go unnoticed by Hakyun. However, Joonyoung and Jitae had no clue who was that man.

“Yoo?” Jitae finally asked.

Hakyun nodded, watching Myungsoo from the corner of his eye.

“Oh. You don’t know about him either. What a pity.” Hakyun mumbled, visibly amused by everything happening in his house. “Myungsoo,” James started again after a long pause. “Why don’t you inform our dear friends about your old teacher?”

Joonyoung’s head turned to Alex in a flash. The poor man didn’t know what to do anymore so he did the only thing he thought he should’ve done from the start.

“I lied, which is something normal in the vampire world.” He smirked, trying to loosen up, but the atmosphere was too tense, “After Jina supposedly died and you disappeared with her I didn’t know what to do. She transformed me without a purpose. I was supposed to be just a memory but she wanted me to live forever. Always be her friend, her companion, a replacement.”

He glared down at his shoes, something disturbing crossing his mind.

 “I’ve always been a replacement for Hongbin. I tried to think otherwise but I couldn’t. That was the truth.” He chuckled darkly, “I was her plan B.”

 Joonyoung closed his eyes and sighed, “Get to the subject already.”

The brother was growing impatient. He just wanted to hear who the hell that Yoo man was and go search for Jina. Or maybe just go upstairs and sleep since he was so tired.

“Patience is a virtue.” Myungsoo chuckled but seeing how no one was laughing and the atmosphere was growing more and more tensioned, he decided to drop it,  “Alright, alright. I will take this seriously. Gong Yoo had a brother, Kwangho. He married this girl from Japan Shinyi. They had two children, whom Kwangho turned into vampires. Now, put the two together and let’s see the result.”

Hakyun rolled his eyes but smirked at Myungsoo’s personality.

“What’s happening here?”

The four men looked to the entrance and saw Hongbin, curious and worried, coming in.

“Listening to life stories.” Joonyoung mumbled rolling his eyes, clearly annoyed. “Well?” Joonyoung askedMyungsoo. “Aren’t you going to continue?”

“Yoo was Kwangho’s brother. Who’s Kwangho?”

Hongbin raised an eyebrow.“Jung Kwangho, the father of Jina and Joonyoung.”

Once realization hit him, joonyoung’s eyes widened and he looked appalled.  

“He’s-he’s-my uncle?!”

 “What did you tell Jina?” Myungsoo asked Hakyun.

“Exactly the same. And that Yoo was the rebellious brother.”

Myungsoo rolled his eyes and found himself glared at by Hongbin and Joonyoung.

“I didn’t have a purpose in life after she faded away. I was walking through Europe when he found me.”

 

It was dark and the cigarettes’ smoke was intoxicating but the people in the bar didn’t care. Myungsoo was at the bar, drinking his tenth shot of tequila. The bartender was a curved and pretty girl who was continuously glancing at him.

“Can I have another one?”

She looked at him perplexed but poured him another one. He drank it up in a second.

“Are you alright? How many fingers do I have raised?”

He looked up at her and chuckled.

“I’m sober. I don’t get drunk so fast. But you have three fingers raised, for you information.”

She rolled her eyes and smiled, going to another customer.

“You let her go away so easily? I’m disappointed.”

Myungsoo turned his eyes on the left, to a man that looked older than him yet younger, for some reason..

“I’m not interested in a one night stand.”

The newcomer chuckled, “Caught in an old relationship?”

Myungsoo rolled his eyes and called the bartender again. She smiled at him and at the new customer. Both men gave their own orders and turned back to talking to each other.

“More like one sided relationship.” Myungsoo mumbled.

The man chuckled again and drank up his alcohol.

“What was so special about her?”

Myungsoo looked at the man, his eyes holding a superior gaze, most likely from being around Jina so much.

“Deep brown eyes that sparkled every time she would smile or glint mischievously into the dark, her innocent personality yet she could’ve killed anyone in one swift motion, her bright shining smile and so on and on.”

The man started to laugh and patted him on the back.

“Lovesick, huh?” He got closer to Myungsoo and let his eyes redden. “Vampires don’t have feelings, Kim Myungsoo. I can teach you the true meaning of the vampire world. You just have to say one small word.”

Alex looked rather shocked, even after he witnessed so much death caused by the one he fell in love with.

“Do we have a deal?”

“What do you get from teaching me how to be a vampire? I’ve fallen in love with one, my best friend was one, her brother was one and her boyfriend was also a vampire.”

The still unnamed vampire smirked.

“Jung Jina is one intriguing creature, isn’t she?Gong Yoo. Her uncle.” He introduced himself, reaching out to shake hands. “Let me tell you this. Never trust a female, especially when she’s a vampire. But…” He paused for a second, time his smirk got bigger, “Jina is a rarity. She was born to be somebody, maybe not for humans, but definitely for night creatures. She holds the curse and only she can control it. I can teach you and you can help her.”

Myungsoo looked quite shocked and at the same time, relived to meet him.

“Yes. My answer is yes.”

Yoo smirked, knowing exactly how much fun he will have and what kind of vampire he will transform Myungsoo in.

 

“And that’s how I met him and how everything begun. The end.”

Myungsoo bowed whileHongbin and Joonyoung , who meanwhile sat down, stood there reflecting over the information.

“A curse? What do you mean with curse? Wait, that’s how you learned so many things about our family!” Joonyoung exclaimed, finally placing the pieces together.

 “Tell us about the curse.” Jitae ordered, his hands crossed over his chest, his face expressionless.

“Why ask him when you can ask me?”

Everyone turned their heads to the stairs, where Jina was standing on, leaning against the rail.

“It seems this house turned into the headquarters.” Hakyun mumbled rolling his eyes.

Jina trailed her bloody eyes over everyone in the room. They stopped on the face that created the monster.

“Hongbin, nice to see you so troubled. You can’t even imagine how delighted I am when you’re hurt.” She whispered, flashing in front of him so she could stare at his face more.

Her eyes moved on Myungsoo and she kissed him. Poor vampire didn’t even know how to react. She stopped before he could and her lips.

“The real story has just begun.” She said loud enough for them to hear before leaving again.

“The curse is Jina herself.” Myungsoo mumbled.