Caduceus

The Biography of a Vampire

“This was supposed to scare you,” Myungsoo said and pointed to him. “Aren’t you surprised to see me here? Or even a little curious how I got here?” She shook her head and walked past him. He rolled his eyes and jumped on her bed. “You’re no fun!” Myungsoo screamed.

“So I’ve been told,” Jina mumbled while going as far away from the vampire as she could, which wasn’t that far.  She sat on the chair in front of her desk and turned towards him. ”Why are you here?” She finally asked.

“I didn’t come with a reason. Hongbin told me where you live and I got curious.” He said and smiled innocently

“Hongbin.” She repeated, only to make sure she heard correctly. Myungsoo nodded and took a step closer.

“Hongbin. I live in his house, the old Kongsu Inn. It’s still in a good state, after what happened in the past with that fire and what-not. But the Jung residence was so much better; it had something different about it.” She tilted her head to the side while Myungsoo jumped on the bed and crossed his legs under him.

“But why are you here exactly?”

“You’re in danger, Jina. See this?” He took out from his pocket another pendant. “It’s the Caduceus. For short, he is the messenger of bad news. I found it a few days ago in New York. That’s why I came here, looking for Hongbin. I knew he remembered and he killed his father for revenge. Besides, I had a very interesting dream,” He started, confusing Jina even more.

“Dream? I thought vampires don’t sleep,” Myungsoo nodded.

“Some vampires would do anything to become human again. I’m not one of them,” He smirked before he got up and walked towards her. “Amethysts give us the chance to live like humans. Sleep, eat, go out at night and day but that doesn’t mean we’re not still vampires.” He caught a glimpse of something interesting on her dresser. “What do we have here,” Myungsoo trailed quirking one eyebrow in curiosity. Jina jumped off her seat and tried to take back what was hers. Myungsoo only chuckled and got on his feet.  “A diary!” He sounded very excited. “Let’s see,” He flipped through the pages. “Dear diary. I feel like ” He raised an eyebrow and chuckled. “It starts off interestingly enough,”

She rolled her eyes and tried to get it back but he was taller.

I can’t believe my best friend has done this to me. I know I’ve been here for a short period of time and I already know we’ll move again but dot, dot, dot I’m even surprised that Sungmin  accepted. I knew Seohyun liked him but why didn’t she tell me the truth? That she is indeed jealous. She didn’t have to steal my boyfriend.” Myungsoo chuckled after he read it out loud. “Harsh,” He turned to her and commented. She rolled her eyes.

“You read enough. Now give it back.” She tried to jump on him but he got away. Myungsoo used his super speed to get up on the bed.

Dear diary, today was weird. Dad and mom started to yell out of nowhere at each other. They usually make up and kiss and everything comes back to normal, but not this time. Joonyoung told me to go to my room and forget about them but how could I?” Myungsoo’s tone softened since he hit a sensitive spot.

That was right before her mother left. That night changed hers and Joonyoung’s lives.

“It seems your ‘mom’ left, huh? Do you want to know how your real mother was?” She stopped. Her real mother was a mystery and Jina still couldn’t believe that her familial life had been a lie. “She was really beautiful. She had light brown hair, black eyes and had this way of being very professional. She hated mistakes. That’s why the Jung family became nobility fast. It was one of the most important families in the town and everything the mayor would do had to be accepted by the two families. Your mother was an example for a lot of girls. She was nice, caring, classy and overall impressing. She loved you a lot and she didn’t want that arranged marriage for you.” Myungsoo explained.

“But what happened? And who’s Hana?” Jina had so many questions.

“Oh, right. Vampires usually can’t have children. However, if the male has ual relationships with a female human she can get pregnant. Your father transformed your mother a long time ago, maybe over 1000 years ago. Your parents were not born when and where their birth certificates say. Your mother got pregnant with Joonyoung 30 years before you were even brought into attention.”

“So Joonyoung’s older than me by 30 years?” She asked, not believing a word from the mischevious vampire. He nodded, like it made perfect sense. “But that means I’m older than 100 years!”She gasped.

“Yes. You were 40 when we met and I was just 23 years old. Your parents moved to Seoul and they managed to make false documents so people wouldn’t get suspicious. Jung and Lee were the only vampires in Korea. Have you ever asked yourself why you and Joonyoung know Japanese so well? And why sometimes when you talk you have a weird accent?” She shook her head. “Your mother is originally from Japan and your father was born in Europe. They met during a historical war. Your father was hungry and that’s how he met your mother. You’re not 100% Korean since vampires first appeared in Europe.”

“How do you know all these stuff about my parents?” Jina asked once she registered the information he threw at her.

 “I had time. I’ve always wanted to know more about you. After you disappeared, I wanted to find you. I traveled a lot through Europe and Japan and found small documents about your parents. Your mother used to be a geisha under the name Yasou. Your father’s father was a French vampire who forced a Korean woman to have his child. I think his birth name is Homme which means man in French.”

“Just Homme? He took my mother’s name because he didn’t have one?”

Myungsoo shrugged. History wasn’t easy, not even for vampires and their inheritors. It was a big mess since vampires that old probably had children all over the world.

“Then,” Jina was still processing some things. “My father transformed mom after both me and my brother were born. Vampires can have children but female vampires can’t get pregnant. This Hana was adopted by my family because mom wanted her to get that arranged marriage instead of me?”

“But when they wanted to do that, Hongbin wasn’t the one she had to get married to. It was Dongmin, his older brother. Hana was human and she really died, but someone changed her and she came back. When she saw you and the one you were supposed to marry, she thought you took her place and that Hongbin was supposedly hers. Hana kind of died because of her own stupidity. She hated you and she messed Hongbin’s head. When Hongbin told you those bad things about you not acting like a vampire you got really mad. You changed. Me, being also a vampire, tried to help you but you went crazy and became evil. Vampires are evil but you were more like a demon. Vampires aren’t demons. They are creatures who live with blood just like humans live with air.” Myungsoo explained, very detailed too.

“If I am a vampire and my brother is one too, why don’t we drink blood?” Jina’s question was logical. Myungsoo rubbed his chin thoughtfully before he suddenly got an idea and sprinted downstairs.

“Hey!” She ran after him in the kitchen and saw him rummaging through the fridge.

“Aha! Found it!” He closed the door and put two bottles of tomato juice on the table. “What’s this?” He asked bluntly.

“Tomato juice. We eat it often since we really enjoy the taste.” Jina answered, making Myungsoo chuckle.

“Wrong. It’s blood. I can smell it.” He opened one bottle and took a sip. “It’s good. He adds blood in everything you eat, not tomato juice. That’s why you enjoy it so much.” He rolled his eyes and scowled before he continued, “Tomato juice, huh. No one would drink something like that.”

Jina walked closer warily and took a sip from the bottle. She her lips and took another one and another one until Myungsoo pulled the bottle away from her. She growled and felt something new in . He grabbed her hand and dragged her into the bathroom.

“My eyes are red and my teeth are-” She caressed her pointed fangs slowly and gasped at her eyes.  The transition itself from red to black was amazing. After she calmed down, the fangs turned back to normal teeth. “It’s incredible. And to think I used to make fun of all those vampire love stories when the truth is that vampires are real. I am a vampire!” She was completely stunned.

“Everything I told you is true. I am real, you are real, Joonyoung is real and so is Hongbin. We are the vampires fromsouth Korea; the original ones. I think there are a few more vampires in New York and Las Vegas but that’s all. Vampires usually like Europe more. So, I think 25 vampires are in the United Kingdom, France, Spain, Italy, Greece, Romania and Russia; 5 in America and a few unknown. I don’t know all of them. Do you think people really die out of nowhere? Vampires kill them before they bite and some just take blood from hospitals. Simple like that.”

Jina was still perplexed. Moreover, her anxiety grew to a higher level than before. Her whole body was reacting strangely. She walked back into her room with a blank face and robotic movements.

“I am a vampire. I am a creature of the night who feeds with blood,” Her eyes widened when she remembered her dream. “I am the monster.” She whispered, completely freaked out by herself.

“That is partially true. But you are not an ordinary vampire. You have to be careful.” Myungsoo started, making her paranoia become even worse. His eyes trailed over her figure and realized she was so out of it. Jina has never really looked like a vampire before she went berserk but now, she was even worse.

“Why?”

“Why? Because you killed many people: vampires, families, and children. You were the Devil on Earth!” He explained, making a big deal out of it. She narrowed her eyes at the vampire and shushed him.

“Don’t yell. Do you want my father to wake up and find you here?” It didn’t look like he cared about that.

“I guess not. He is a vampire slayer,” She froze, which was exactly the expression he was waiting for when he let his mouth free. Myungsoo chuckled and jumped on the bed, patting the place next to him for her to occupy. She complied silently.

“Why doesn’t that surprise me?” She mumbled, fidgeting from both the presence in her room and all the things and people she thought she knew but didn’t. He chuckled and got ready to leave. His business was done. “Leaving?” He looked at her over his shoulder and winked.

“Tomorrow I will show you what you can do. It’s Sunday and you have the entire day to yourself hopefully. If not, make it available!” He jumped out and disappeared. She closed her eyes and frowned.

Things were getting interesting in Bucheon. Jina found out so many new things about herself and her family and most of them were unimaginable; but it was real. She was a vampire. The memories she forgot were surfacing and truthfully, Jina didn’t know if she should get scared or excited.

 

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

 

Next morning, she woke up with a headache. For the whole night she tried to imagine her real parents but she couldn’t remember how they looked or how they behaved. She had halos around her eyes and she looked pale. Thankfully, her father was concentrated on her brother.

“Where have you been last night, Joonyoung?”

“Here, there,” Joonyoung was vague and he looked a bit hangover.

Jitae glared at him and grabbed his wrist threateningly. Joonyoung growled, for real, making his father stumble back, shocked.

“Don’t touch me.” Joonyoung growled.

Surprisingly, Jitae wasn’t shocked or afraid; only a little surprised. Jina placed her hand on Joonyoung’s shoulder and pulled him back. He shook her hand off and went upstairs, most likely into his room. Jitae ruffled his hair and took a seat at the table.

“I’m sorry,” He said before she could open . “You’ve grown and even if I try to change you, it’s impossible. I can’t change what you are and the truth is so hard to hide,” the old man started to mumble, rubbing his face and hands in anxiety. Jina sighed and grabbed her father’s hand tightly.

“What’s the truth, dad?” She was surprised when Jitae looked up at her with such sad eyes.

“You and Joonyoung are not my children and Yeeun wasn’t your mother. I was young when you and your brother were given to me. I was a vampire slayer when I was in my mid-twenties. My teacher came to me and said I have been requested for a special mission. You two were the mission. I, the vampire slayer, had to take care of two vampires as if they were my children. You looked so young and innocent so I accepted. He just told me your parents died and you needed protection. Your memories were erased and everything was going to turn out alright. But lately, things got out of control. Joonyoung changed, in a different way than normal teenagers. I’m just waiting now for you to do the same. Your memories,” She interrupted him.

“Our memories are coming back. Our past is being revived and this town holds half of our past!” He glanced at her sadly.

“I know. That’s why I chose this place. I’ve been doing researches on you and your brother. A vampire told me a few years back about a certain Jung Jina.”

“What did he tell you about me?”

“Jina, maybe it will sound weird and fictional but you killed many people. Humans and vampires,”

“I know about vampires and I know I am one, Joonyoung too. I met two other vampires,” She started, shyly. Jina wasn’t a liar and she would always tell Jitae everything about her life nd even hints to what Joonyoung was doing.

“I know. Do you think I would have let the vampire from last night alive if I didn’t know he was good for you? I talked to Hongbin’s uncle. He told me an old friend of yours came over, saying he wanted to protect you.” Jina scoffed. “I can’t say I trust him completely. Yesterday, your two friends were killed by a vampire too.”

“Yeah it was Myungsoo. He was ready to bite me when he realized who I was.”

Jitae looked worried but didn’t say anything.

“I trust you. You have blood in the fridge and there is a supply of it in the basement. You don’t need to kill.” She nodded and hugged him.

“Don’t worry, dad. We know what we’re doing. We’re old enough.” She joked making the older man laugh. She let go of him and went upstairs to talk to Joonyoung.
 

 

Joonyoung was on his back, staring at the ceiling. When Jina entered his room, he only glanced at her for a second before he rolled on his side.

“What do you want?” He grumpily muttered, though she could hear him clearly. Jina went next to the window and glanced at the forest.

“Dad is right. You changed. You used to be funny and flirty and stupid, but now you’re different. You’re cold and too independent.” Jina started, not facing him while saying that.

“Maybe I am. I spent last night at Hongbin’s, talking with his uncle. He told me about you and Hongbin, about our parents, about Hana; everything. He thinks the time has come for you to lose control again.” She frowned and glanced at her brother.

“I had my own conversation with Myungsoo last night. I’m sure you met him, right?” He nodded.

“He will train you. I’m sure he can keep you sane and entertained until me and Hongbin find out what’s going on. Don’t go looking for an adventure in the forest alone, Jina. Many vampires are searching for you.” He said as he rose on his elbows.

Joonyoung got off the bed and walked behind her. He wrapped his hands around her and hugged her tightly.

“I don’t want to lose you, Jina.” He mumbled.

“You won’t. I promise you.” She smiled softly and laid her head on his chest.

 “Alright. Now, shoo. I need my beauty nap!”

She scoffed and walked out.

 

 

The rest of the day was eventless. Jina was reading the fourth book of Twilight when someone suddenly took it from her. She glared at a pair of dark playful eyes.

“This,” He said while going through the pages. “This will destroy your brain and imagination. Vampires aren’t fairies who cry and wait for their long lost lover. We love, we have a heart, but it doesn’t beat anymore. If someone makes us feel loved and we care for someone in a very passionate way, not just ually, then we-our heart doesn’t beat but we feel warm in a way?” She watched the younger vampire struggle to find his words. It was amusing. He started to do funny faces while thinking and she started to laugh. “What?” He looked really cute. Despite being a vampire and killing without remorse, Myungsoo wasn’t that bad.

“You feel warm? Love for vampires is just , isn’t it? So I didn’t love Hongbin and neither did he.” She gasped when she realized what she said. “Did I sleep with him?”

Myungsoo stared at her with a serious face until he started to laugh loudly.

“That was a good one. No, you didn’t.” She was relieved. ”But that doesn’t mean you’re a .” Her eyes widened. He flashed behind her and breathed into her ear. “You lost it to me.”

“Really?” Jina asked, an eyebrow raised, feeling like he was playing around with her. He flashed in front of her and smiled.

“Many people thought you loved me. That’s what you’ll find in every book about your family. You know what? They were right. You did love me, but it wasn’t the kind of love I wished for,” Surprisingly, he looked disappointed while saying that.

“What do you mean?”

“Jina, I loved you a lot. I was human and I knew you were a vampire; I knew you could kill me anytime; I knew you had to marry Hongbin yet, I still loved you,” He closed the small distance between them and grabbed her shoulders. “We slept together but I thought it was because you loved me too, although you were just mad. It was when you found out Hongbin wasn’t coming to the Jung residence for you anymore; he was coming for Hana. You were so angry and I guess it was something decided on the spur of the moment. I understood that later and I felt bad. It hurt.”

She found it hard to look into his eyes. Even if it happened a long time ago, and he changed a lot from back then, she broke his heart.

“I’m sorry.” She was feeling guilty and she genuinely apologized.

Myungsoo only stared at her blankly. He didn’t intend to make her feel guilty. He just wanted her to know how much she meant for him.

“It was a long, long time ago. It doesn’t matter now. I wanted you to be happy so I left you in Joonyoung’s care. Maybe if I was there when you really transformed into a demon, I would have ended up like Lee Dongmin or your parents. It was crazy. You killed them just because they were making too much of a deal. Next, you went to the Inn, looking for Hongbin. He was the reason you went crazy and diabolical after all.”

“But I didn’t. I wanted him to suffer.” She continued, remembering her flashback. Myungsoo nodded, taking a few steps back, letting enough space between him and her. “Wait, how do you know this? You left, right?”

 If he weren’t a vampire he would have had probably blushed heavily.

“You were spying,” She started, a small smirk forming on her lips. He closed his eyes and smiled nervously; embarrassment was a feeling he got rid of a long time ago yet around her, it came back

“However, making him live knowing he was the one who actually caused so much death was the best punishment.” He mumbled, trying to get his pride back in place.

She closed her eyes and tried to remember that day. Unfortunately, someone dragged her towards the balcony and interrupted her trail of thoughts.

“What are you doing?!”

Myungsoo smirked and pushed her off. She closed her eyes and prepared for the pain. She waited but she didn’t feel anything. Jina opened her eyes and realized that she landed on her hands and knees. A smirking Myungsoo jumped off her balcony as well and landed on his feet in front of her.

“We’ll have to work on the landing but the position is good,” She glared at him and got up. “Now we’ll see what you can do.” He ran with his super vampire speed into the forest while she remained dumbstruck. He stopped and looked back over his shoulder. “Come on Jina! This should come from the inside!” She nodded and took a deep breath. She started by walking normally, then she started to run faster and faster. “Good. Keep it up like this. It shouldn’t be hard to wake the vampire within!”

 

♦♦♦♦


They stopped into a familiar place in the forest. She walked around, fascinated.

“This is-”

“Familiar? Everything is familiar, Jina. You lived here for a good part of your life. Nothing ever scared you and you usually felt calm and happy in Bucheon’s forest,” She smiled softly and bathed in the sunlight. “Now back to business,”

He moved in front of her and simply stood there. She was ready to ask him what he had on his mind when he hissed. She froze and didn’t really know what to do when he ran at her. One thing was clear, though; she wasn’t scared, she was confused. He punched her hard and threw her into a tree. She rubbed her head and tried to regain her balance.

“You are supposed to defend yourself!” He shouted.

Jina groaned and mumbled a few swears under her breath. He narrowed his eyes at her and grabbed her by her neck. He raised her a few centimeters off the ground, his grip tightening. Somehow, she started to feel really offended. She was older than him; heck she changed him. In the end, Jina kicked him in the crotch and growled. He didn’t have time to react. She kicked him again in the chest and sent him flying a few meters away.

“Good enough?” Her tone changed. She was teasing him, like she used to.

He nodded, still a little perplexed. She was pretty quick. Punch in the stomach, pushed down, another punch in the leg, tight grip on his neck, pushed on the ground and straddle so he couldn’t go anywhere. The result was, apparently, surprising.

 “Why do I need to be trained, if I already know how to fight?” He pushed her off easily.

“You weren’t good at fighting when I met you. You couldn’t hurt a fly!” It sounded a lot like he was complaining. “You act more like a vampire now than you did back then. You should let it control you sometimes. Flirting and smugness come naturally,” He continued cheekily.

“So does the need of blood but I resist it.” Jina’s words made Myungsoo realize a few details that he hadn’t thought about. When he was ready to say something her phone rang.

It was Seulgi and she had some important announcement, or at least for her it was important.

“Ana’s holding a sleepover tomorrow night. Are you coming?”

Jina glanced at Myungsoo to see if he had something to object. He looked like he was lost in his own thoughts.

“Sure. I don’t have anything to do. See you tomorrow at school!” She hung up and bent in front of Myungsoo. “I’m going home. If you want something, you know where to find me.” She didn’t wait for an answer and just flashed away.

Myungsoo was dumbstruck. She could resist blood for the moment but what about later?