Worries and Portraits

The Biography of a Vampire

Jina’s journey wasn’t as smooth and boring she expected. She finally decided to take the adventure to the next level and practically walked to the next level: the second floor. Everything was pretty weird up there; a lot of mirrors and sculptures that looked a bit out of place. She decided to enter one of the rooms and chose the closest. When the door cracked open her eyes widened: it was leading to another corridor.

“Wow,” She was speechless.

The corridor she entered was not very long but it was full of portraits. There was a man with a moustache, another man with a gay-ish hat and in the very front was the weirdest and most impressive portrait of a noble with piercing brown eyes and an expressionless face. She walked closer in amazement and stared at one thing in particular. Jina reached out and caressed the canvas softly. A sudden loud noise penetrated her ears and everything became dark.

It was a full moon and silence was engulfing the whole city. People were dying mysteriously in the whole state and while the officers were doing all they could, it wasn’t enough to stop the serial killer.

“We have to get rid of it. I don’t care how let’s just do it.” The man looked strict and it was obvious he was pissed off, “Bloodsuckers. They’ve been in Bucheon and lived among humans for too long.”

“But they did help the city develop. There were just two families: Lee and Jung, noble and proud. They wouldn’t have done this. They wanted a normal life.” The second man was clearly not as mad as the first. He was apprehensive when it came to vampires. “Adding to that, they died.”

“I know! But no one can kill vampires except other vampires! The Jung children escaped and disappeared! It’s obvious they killed the others! What were their names again?”

The second took out a file and read it, “Jina and Joonyoung. No one knows what happened with them. Jina was a young woman about 17 years old while Joonyoung was a younger version of his father,” The first man narrowed his eyes at the file; there were photographs of the two. “Should we look after them? Do you think they did this?”

 The expressionless man closed his eyes and sighed. He threw the photos away and looked on the window at the moon.

“We won’t succeed but in the future, I will count on my nephew and on his children. The Song family will protect the world and the moon will guide us.”

••••

“Jina?” The girl jumped, scaring the poor guy who was shaking her. She turned around to see Minho, “Are you alright?”  He asked in worry.

The girl nodded, “I just spaced out,”

Minho raised an eyebrow and inspected her closely. She wasn’t aware but he found her in a condition where her eyes were red.

“Who’s he?” Jina asked pointing at the intimidating portrait.

It was obvious they were family. Minho had the same facial characteristics and the same posture.

“He’s my great-great-great-grandfather. I don’t know much about him. My father never really talks about him. From what I know, he lived here in the late 1880’s then he moved out but no one really knows why. The craziest stories are that he was a vampire slayer.” He responded leisurely.

 Jina glanced from the corner of her eye at Minho. “Do you believe that?”

 He turned to her and smiled, “I think that's bull. He made this family what it is now and I’m proud to be part of it. If vampires ever wandered these lands then it means they still do and that’s impossible.”

“Do you think vampires are real?”

He chuckled and turned towards the painting, “I guess we’ll never know.”

Downstairs things were not going smoothly like they should have had. Joonyoung was still at the bar but not drinking anymore. Hongbin was talking to Roy, his long lost friend, while the bachelors were ready to get on stage.

A microphone interrupted everyone.

“Sorry!” The woman on the stage apologized for the highly disturbing sound. “Ok. We came here for a reason. Before we start I want to thank the city’s bachelors for accepting.” There was a loud round of applauses. “I also want to thank everyone who’s here. It’s such a pleasure to see so many citizens of our dear Bucheon in the same place. Thank you Now, as you know we’re not doing this just for the fun of it. We’re getting funds for a noble cause. No, not our city but for the children who don’t have school and a proper life. That’s a real tragedy. Those children need all the help possible and even if we’re just a small city, we want to contribute. All the bachelors come up here please!”

Joonyoung watched bemusedly as the ten men walked up, looking more than uncomfortable.

“First bachelor’s name is-”

Her voice became background noise and Joonyoung lost his interest. Hongbin came and sat next to the noble vampire with a bemused expression on his face.

“They don’t look happy at all. Not even Myungsoo, the womanizer,” Hongbin started.

Joonyoung chuckled, “Myungsoo accepted this just for Jina. I bet he’ll leave his date before it begins,”

Hongbin looked at the tall vampire and smirked. “I bet 50 bucks that he’ll leave after.”

Joonyoung chuckled at the sudden turn of personality in Hongbin and stuck out his hand.

“I bet 50 bucks he’ll kill his date.”

Hongbin’s eyes widened but he couldn’t deny the competition. The two shook hands and turned back to the stage to watch the next contestant.

“Shin Ha Kyun. What can you tell us about yourself?”The announcer asked politely and gave him the microphone.

Ha Kyun coughed as if he was nervous and grinned boyishly making some women chuckle or just swoon.

“I can tell you what you want to hear but I would be too honest about myself.” Ha Kyun responded.

The people laughed at the genuine humor but Joonyoung glanced at Hongbin in confusion.

 “I thought he’s more of the brooding type, like you are.” The Jung noble stated. :I guess I was wrong,” He continued, snatching a glass of champagne when the butler passed by.

“It depends. Shin Ha Kyun has a lot of faces and that’s just one of them. He is dangerous and spontaneous.”

“Kind of like Myungsoo, right?” Joonyoung muttered, knowing that it will piss Hongbin off to compare the two.

“So what do you do for living?”

Ha Kyun smirked, his eyes falling over every woman in the room, scanning them briefly.

“Nothing. I’m rich.” He responded smugly and winked at his nephew. .

Everyone was left dumbfounded with the sincerity of a handsome man.

“Well, alright. Next,Jung Jitae, father of two teenagers. Wow, impressive.” He nodded smiling as she continued, “How hard it is to raise two children on your own?”

 “Both Jina and Joonyoung are nice kids. They act like adults.”

That response made something in Joonyoung’s stomach tighten and he knew it was guilt. He had all the respect for Jitae. He raised him and his sister like his own children and he didn’t give them up during rough times but he took them back to their rightful home.

“Isn’t he such a nice man, girls?”

The room was almost full of women and they started to applaud making the culprit blush faintly.

“Are you rich too? You moved into the old Jung mansion.” One woman from the front row asked with a certain erted glint in her eyes.

 “No, I’m not rich. I work as a doctor.” He answered, fidgeting and shifting uncomfortably.

The woman on the stage smiled flirty at him and went on to Myungsoo.

“And the last bachelor is Kim Myungsoo. He’s the youngest.” The girls started applauding again. “How old are you actually?”

He grinned at her, his dimples deepening, “Call me Myung. I’m just 23, ladies.” He winked at the audience making some girls blush.

“Oh. We have a playboy here!”

He chuckled and grabbed a hand through his hair, his eyes searching for some kind of reaction from the two vampires standing at the bar. Myungsoo smirked contently seeing how he got them both annoyed. His eyes looked over the audience after Jina but she wasn’t there.

“Do you work, Myungsoo?”

He chuckled. “No. I’m a traveler. I like to see new places and meet new people.”

Hongbin scoffed, “What a bunch of bull,” He muttered before taking a sip from his drink.

Back on the second floor, Jina was wandering around a different room, amazed by everything inside. It seemed like it had been an office once upon a time and it was still perfectly functional from what she could see.

“This room is gorgeous!” She exclaimed, her eyes sparkling with curiosity.

“This is the Choi library. A while back was Choi Jinho’s office.” Minho explained.

Jina nodded and walked deeper into the room. She went over the desk and looked at the small and old picture of a small child standing next to an older version of him. Minho walked behind the girl and looked at it too.

 “That’s me and my father.”

Jina could easily see the resemblance even now, with him being a hip hop fan to the bone, “What happened to him?”

Minho’s eyes fell to the ground letting Jina take a closer look at his face. Something about his eyes changed as he turned to gaze at the moon.  Out of instinct, her eyes changed as well and she felt the sting.

“He was killed one year ago.” Minho responded eventually. “The worst part is that I know who did it.” Jina quirked an eyebrow and waited. “Lee Dongha.”

Jina frowned. “But…that’s…”

“Impossible, right? He is Hongbin’s father,Ha Kyun’s brother.”

The tension was rising and Jina had to look elsewhere when he turned to face her. Her eyes were red like fire and blood was pumping through her veins.

“Hongbin’s father is dead.” She stated firmly for her sanity and assurance more than Minho’s.

“I know.”  Minho responded, his eyes following Jina’s figure as she walked towards the door. “Take care of you, Jung Jina and remember I may be silent but that doesn’t mean I’m stupid.”

Jina was confused but nodded nonetheless before walking out and returning to the party with an unsettling feeling.

Downstairs Joonyoung went back to drinking coke as he and Hongbin were talking at the bar. The bachelors were on a break so women could decide which one they wanted the most. Jina just entered the room when Myungsoo sneaked next to her.

“Where have you been?” He didn’t seem affected that a big part of the women were glancing at them. He narrowed his eyes, expecting the answer but she wasn’t even looking at him.

“Around,”

She left the proud vampire behind with a bewildered expression as she went straight to Hongbin.  She took him by the sleeve and signed for Joonyoung to tag along. From a different side of the room, Myungsoo narrowed his eyes suspiciously.

Outside, Jina led the two vampires in a secluded part of the garden.

“I may be wrong but Minho knows something.” She started worried that she might have slipped some detail about her and her family.

Both men raised eyebrows and looked at each other.  

“He may know we are vampires.” She repeated when she didn’t get the reaction she was expecting.

“Does he know anything else?” Joonyoung asked, seemingly calm.  

“There’s definitely something weird about him. I don’t know what but…” She wasn’t sure. Jina wasn’t sure of a lot of stuff lately so she turned to the information she got in the last hour,“His father was killed by yours.” She told Hongbin, her big eyes staring into his.

He seemed to finally react surprised, “What?”

“What’s with this party without me?”

The new voice only annoyed Jina more because it was seriously not Myungsoo’s business.

On the other side, he seemed bothered that he wasn’t invited to their discussion and sneered when he got close enough.

“We were talking important matters. You would just make everything worse.” Hongbin answered with a poker face annoying Myungsoo even more because Hongbin was there and Jina was confiding in him not Myungsoo.

“From what I know, I haven’t done anything since I came here.”Myungsoo’s words had such an evil tone.

Joonyoung rolled his eyes, “Down boys. You two should stop bickering about who’s the best and come back to reality. If Minho knows about vampires then it’s obvious his father was killed by one. He hates us but that doesn’t mean he’ll run around yelling that vampires are real.”

“Actually, before I left he said ‘Take care of you, Jung Jina.’” Six pairs of eyes turned to her with great intencity. She looked right back at them. “What?”

“Take care of you? What does that mean?” Joonyoung mumbled.

On the other hand, Myungsoo and had a very different opinion, turning immediately to his adversary in love, “I told you they’re coming!”

“I already knew that! And I told you we’re going to get rid of them!”

The two started to fight again while the Jung siblings simply took a step back.

“Wait, wait. Who’s coming?” Jina asked the two vampires when she finally registered what Myungsoo said.

They stopped in an instant and bent their heads in what she hoped was shame but it probably wasn’t.

“Vampires from other parts of the world. You’re Jung Jina, powerful, dangerous, etc, etc. They either want to kill you or mate with you. I guess it depends on their level of knowledge.”

It was getting complicated with every passing day and whoever these people were , Jina didn’t feel any threat anywhere close. Suddenly, she remembered the phone call.

 “No.” The three vampires stared at her confused. “They’re not coming after me.” She started, her eyes moving on Myungsoo. “They’re coming after you.”

Myungsoo scoffed, “Why would they?”

“I got a phone call earlier today. I don’t know for sure who it was but they told me to take care of you because they’re coming after you. They also told me that they don’t even know I’m alive.”

“That’s because they don’t.”

Everyone turned towards the path back to the front door where Ha Kyun and Jitae were walking from.

“Now that I get a better look you kind of look alike.” Joonyoung mumbled, getting the same parental hawk eye from both men.

“Anyway, Jina is right. No one knows she’s alive except us and well the little wolf.” Ha Kyun continued. The youngsters stared profoundly at the older males so Ha Kyun continued, “Minho is part of the Choi family. Doesn’t it sound familiar? Like, I don’t know, Choi Jinho?” The youngsters were clueless so Ha Kyun huffed and looked bewildered at them. “God dammit, you killed him!” He finally exclaimed.

Jina frowned.

“Wait. What’s that supposed to do with vampires coming after me?”  Myungsoo took the lead seeing as it was about him, in the end

“You killed their human lovers, you slept with their lovers, you changed their lovers, you killed their supposed to be human families, you killed some of their friends, and you slept with some of their female friends, you-” The elder vampire could continue for the entire night and Myungsoo was aware there was a long list of bad things he did.

“Ok, ok I got it. I’m bad, I’m pathetic, I don’t care about anything and anyone, I don’t have feelings, I’m but why now? I bet they could’ve done it before.”

Hakyun glanced at Jitae before he glanced at Jina. There was something bothering him but decided not to speak up about his worries; at least not yet.